MattScott

Clarification on Fight Club comments

Just now, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

Since FC is just smaller parts of the district maps right now, it would be easier to fix than the mission districts as a whole which have the same problems on a larger scale.

fair, but as mentioned in by revoluzzer, the fc maps could be more easily used for testing map changes/optimizations (due to essentially constant use i assume) as opposed to mission districts 

3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

fair, but as mentioned in by revoluzzer, the fc maps could be more easily used for testing map changes/optimizations (due to essentially constant use i assume) as opposed to mission districts 

That was their original purpose aswell.

From: https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2011/09/entering-open-beta-home-stretch-part-i.html

The idea is to give you the chance to jump in to a violent 10 v 10 (or similar) death-match or territory capture in a very small isolated portion of a district (which - by the way - also solves some 32-bit and low spec machine issues by being much smaller than the standard districts) for intense short-burst action. Think of it as a PuG clan fight, but with open ended groups/teams on each side and without all the Clan Mechanics.

While this provides insta-match content for players to experience, it also helps us try out new map changes and game-types which if successful, will be added to the main game maps as well.

PS. A lot of those location ideas would barely fit much more than 4 players per team.

Edited by UubeNubeh DaWog

2 minutes ago, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

That was their original purpose aswell.

From: https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2011/09/entering-open-beta-home-stretch-part-i.html

The idea is to give you the chance to jump in to a violent 10 v 10 (or similar) death-match or territory capture in a very small isolated portion of a district (which - by the way - also solves some 32-bit and low spec machine issues by being much smaller than the standard districts) for intense short-burst action. Think of it as a PuG clan fight, but with open ended groups/teams on each side and without all the Clan Mechanics.

While this provides insta-match content for players to experience, it also helps us try out new map changes and game-types which if successful, will be added to the main game maps as well.

yeah that’s kind of what i imagined

my only big issue with this is that a “district playlist” could range from hard to impossible to make on the current engine, and just having 15 different fight club maps is a bad idea when even having 2 different fc maps populated is a challenge 

edit: and even if the playlist could be coded in, how would extraneous players be handled? since a majority of these map suggestions would be unplayable with asylums 20v20 population

Edited by BXNNXD
added stuff

19 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

yeah that’s kind of what i imagined

my only big issue with this is that a “district playlist” could range from hard to impossible to make on the current engine, and just having 15 different fight club maps is a bad idea when even having 2 different fc maps populated is a challenge 

edit: and even if the playlist could be coded in, how would extraneous players be handled? since a majority of these map suggestions would be unplayable with asylums 20v20 population

To be fair, back when the game had a stable playerbase you would be hardpressed to get into at least one of the fight clubs. We're working our way back up the population ladder.

Having extra districts would have the same issue as extra fight clubs if we were only talking about today's population, how often does waterfront have issues with getting population?

Even if we did get extra districts/fight club locations and they had limits on how many we could have, only real solution is to have a rotation. Only real solution to keep things fresh and still give people what they want. Keeping people around is far better than pushing people away because their favorite content is straight up gone.

Edited by UubeNubeh DaWog

Thanks for spoiling this amazing news, I couldn't imagine what that riot mode will be about, but if there's something I've been dreaming of it in this game since ever is of such a thing as a riot in the streets of San Paro, I think the lore screams for it.

Also, taken from the trailer:

wcFMy6f.jpg

g1ujYnA.jpg

18 minutes ago, Salvick said:

Thanks for spoiling this amazing news, I couldn't imagine what that riot mode will be about, but if there's something I've been dreaming of it in this game since ever is of such a thing as a riot in the streets of San Paro, I think the lore screams for it.

You mean Anarchy?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

You mean Anarchy?

I mean that I like to imagine a riot in San Paro besides the game mode, or a gang fight like in the pics, something more cinematic I had in my head, lol.

But I liked Anarchy districts, these also ended up empty, right?

2 hours ago, Salvick said:

I mean that I like to imagine a riot in San Paro besides the game mode, or a gang fight like in the pics, something more cinematic I had in my head, lol.

But I liked Anarchy districts, these also ended up empty, right?

Empty or only 1/20 of the map was being used. Only closest spawn points between enf and crim.

1 hour ago, Ignas / qsn said:

Thank you for pointing it out, but is the new game mode related to Fight Club? Because Asylum was the place to level up roles and baylan was to earn some quick cash.

I hope Riot can be something inbetween atleast

Pretty sure cash works the same way in either fight club, if you get more kills you get more money.

There was a short time where FC in general payed out significantly but that was a bug and fixed quickly.

6 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

This one is on me. I spent the last two weeks meeting with a portion of the team for 12 hours a day to map out the future of APB: Reloaded.

I got excited about some things we have been playing with, and I made a vague/not-so-vague comment in a thread that completely derailed it.

I usually don't delete or remove forum threads, but in this case I've decided to do it, because the information I gave was poorly handled.

Ultimately I shouldn't have said anything at all. 

Not because of the negative reaction that followed, but because I didn't provide enough information. My comment made it sound like Fight Club was being removed entirely and sooner than the new mode will be ready. I'll do better with information in the future.

Here is where we're headed:

- There is a new mode coming fairly quickly. I'll be posting more details as soon as possible when I get the final feedback from development, but I intentionally want to wait till we have completed work on the servers and lag. 

- Internally the new mode is being called "Riot". It will go to OTW long before we add it to production, and we can run it as a replacement to Open Conflict. 

- I'll take a harder look at Fight Club to create a better strategy for fixing the issues I have with it. Nothing is going to change without a lot more discussion with the community and testing.

We are new, and I want to start adding new content, but that should never involve destroying anything that players are having fun with right now.

Sorry,

Matt

EDIT: I went ahead and made the original thread visible for reference. I have locked it, just to insure that players don't continue to read it and panic.

You got really excited and something went off a bit prematurely. Happens to the best of us, Matt. It’s okay, it really is.

Just have a rest and get to your strength. This shouldn’t stop you from trying again, no pressure.

• Like 1

@MattScott what about Bacon FC map? Any chance of comeback of it? 

Riot will be probably sth like anarchy district i hope so, it was hell fun

Previous thread was messy but the biggest problem was the "word of mouth" propagation. People just kept saying "Matt said that FC is getting removed" and that kept going and going without been accompanied with the rest of the info provided by your posts.

please don't make battle royale.. please don't make battle royale...

This is what i like to hear Matt, i really hope the new game mode is successful too.

- There is a new mode coming fairly quickly. I'll be posting more details as soon as possible when I get the final feedback from development, but I intentionally want to wait till we have completed work on the servers and lag. 

- Internally the new mode is being called "Riot". It will go to OTW long before we add it to production, and we can run it as a replacement to Open Conflict. 

Sounds contradictory but OK. Any change even if it's 1 year away is good to know. Just please talk to us and let us know when can we expect changes and what progress are you making.

Edited by lekki

Thanks Matt.

Old G1 would have just locked and deleted this thread too. Thanks for the transparency.

Thanks for the clarification.

I do like FC a lot and spend most of my time here, I sure hope the new game mode will provide some new possibilities, with hopefully less issues.

Can't wait to give it a go.

RIOTS? IN MY GLORIOUS SAN PARO?

I'm bringing riot shields then.

2 minutes ago, Mitne said:

RIOTS? IN MY GLORIOUS SAN PARO?

I'm bringing riot shields then.

I’m bringing riot percs!!

Just now, AsgerLund said:

I’m bringing riot percs!!

Go command down south, criminals will never see you coming. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10 hours ago, Recenite said:

Am I the only one who thinks LO are freaking cool?

Instant implementation of BattleEye was cool but from my past experience with G1 I've expected to see some cookies codes and serious sales.

1 minute ago, Letter said:

Instant implementation of BattleEye was cool but from my past experience with G1 I've expected to see some cookies codes and serious sales.

That's your PTSD talking, placating the players with sales to distract from feelings of lack of progress has always been the G1 way and should never be repeated

Besides didn't LO say they'd be looking at ARMAS pricing around when the upgrade is finished?

32 minutes ago, Nite said:

That's your PTSD talking

Actually that's my 20 years MMO experience talking. Of course after a year of G1's absence any communication from LO look like a heavenly gift to new-ish MMO players but in reality the lack of coupons and sales also look like LO see current player base as indefinitely patient free beta testers for upcoming APB Royale Mobile (or whatever they think will bring them actually interesting big player base worth caring for).