Sign in to follow this  
xeela

Legality of symlinking APB game directories?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not sorry.

I recently got tired of tediously having to switch between APB installs containing different configurations and wrote a simple application with the goal of making the process easier without requiring multiple installations of APB. My application accomplishes this by turning the APBGame/Config directory into a symbolic link which points towards different variations of the configuration files (all of which are edited only using APB Advanced Launcher).

Since my application technically modifies a game directory by turning it into a symbolic link, even if the content of the directory remains unmodified by anything except APB Adv. Launcher, I am unsure if it is "legal" in practice?

Edited by xeela

This is a supported use case and you can do the same with the AssetCache folder. Although, there's an ini setting that turns the disk cache off and makes the game use RAM instead for the asset cache.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sophiie said:

This is a supported use case and you can do the same with the AssetCache folder. Although, there's an ini setting that turns the disk cache off and makes the game use RAM instead for the asset cache.

Perfect, thank you!