Greetings,

I just finished building a new PC and I wanted to see how APB performance improved over the years.

As outlined in the update 1.3 blogpost, I edited the MaxClientFrameRate variable to both 240 and 0.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2023/2/8/apb-130-patch-notes

I doesn't work on my end.

Anyone managed to make this work properly as of the current patch?

This still works fine aslong as you're editing the BaseEngine.ini file and are starting the game with the APB.exe located in the Binaries folder. Also make sure Vsync and Smooth Framerate are both turned off ingame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems easy enough to add it to the in game options, seeing that they added a few other settings in the past.

6 hours ago, BlatMan said:

Seems easy enough to add it to the in game options, seeing that they added a few other settings in the past.

The plan is to add an ingame option for it eventually.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Talla said:

Greetings,

I just finished building a new PC and I wanted to see how APB performance improved over the years.

As outlined in the update 1.3 blogpost, I edited the MaxClientFrameRate variable to both 240 and 0.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2023/2/8/apb-130-patch-notes

I doesn't work on my end.

Anyone managed to make this work properly as of the current patch?

Specs or it didn't happen

13 hours ago, Weaboos said:

Specs or it didn't happen

Motherboard: AsRock x670E Taichi
CPU: AMD 7800X3D (No OC yet)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 CL30 (No OC yet)

GPU: RTX 4090

Screen: LG 32GQ850-b

I played this weekend, and despite the APB 64-bit update, I can still experience the garbage collection FPS dip.

Edited by Talla

3 hours ago, Talla said:

I played this weekend, and despite the APB 64-bit update, I can still experience the garbage collection FPS dip.

I mean when did they ever say garbage collection stutter would be fixed

7 hours ago, Talla said:

Make absolutely sure that your BIOS is up to date, the 7 series of AMD CPU's have been burning up lately due to possible SOC failures.

7 hours ago, Talla said:

Garbage collection stutters are still around as those are an integral part of Unreal Engine 3, however, 64Bit raised the memory ceiling so APB is no longer limited to 4gb of ram anymore which means that they can very likely add an option that moves these stutters to happen in non combat scenarios for users with 16GB of RAM or more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talla said:

Nice. Not going to ask how much this cost though, I might get a heart attack 😂

Out of curiosity, what does "realtime GC" show in the logs for you? Mine shows about 160ms on average, regardless of player population.

Line 30296: 18:05:40 - DevGarbage: 160.517497 ms for realtime GC
    Line 30904: 18:06:40 - DevGarbage: 160.491766 ms for realtime GC
    Line 31393: 18:07:40 - DevGarbage: 162.730075 ms for realtime GC
    Line 31934: 18:08:40 - DevGarbage: 160.198051 ms for realtime GC
    Line 32434: 18:09:40 - DevGarbage: 160.437293 ms for realtime GC
    Line 32927: 18:10:40 - DevGarbage: 160.267305 ms for realtime GC
    Line 33295: 18:11:40 - DevGarbage: 160.398697 ms for realtime GC
    Line 33616: 18:12:01 - DevGarbage: 159.532607 ms for realtime GC

10 hours ago, BlatMan said:

Out of curiosity, what does "realtime GC" show in the logs for you? Mine shows about 160ms on average, regardless of player population.

[...]

Financial district while driving around

04:28:40 - DevGarbage: 73.994200 ms for realtime GC
04:29:40 - DevGarbage: 76.961700 ms for realtime GC
04:30:40 - DevGarbage: 76.709200 ms for realtime GC
04:31:40 - DevGarbage: 75.383800 ms for realtime GC
04:32:40 - DevGarbage: 74.667600 ms for realtime GC
04:33:40 - DevGarbage: 74.614200 ms for realtime GC
04:34:40 - DevGarbage: 76.476800 ms for realtime GC
04:35:01 - DevGarbage: 75.839800 ms for realtime GC
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Frosi said:

64Bit raised the memory ceiling so APB is no longer limited to 4gb of ram anymore

So when is the 64bit client being updated to actually make use of that lifted limitation? Cause the game still limits itself to <4GB RAM usage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

Cause the game still limits itself to <4GB RAM usage.

There's plans for potential settings for users with 16GB or more RAM, for now players can use custom garbage collection timers, I went as far as 10 mins without a crash in which case my game used 8GB of ram although the stutter following that was quite severe.

12 hours ago, BlatMan said:

It should change slightly depending on pop but it basically just tracks how long it took to clean up all the garbage, this process makes your game stutter, if you're averaging 160ms then that means your garbage collection stutters/freezes are around 160ms long.

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Frosi said:

There's plans for potential settings for users with 16GB or more RAM, for now players can use custom garbage collection timers, I went as far as 10 mins without a crash in which case my game used 8GB of ram although the stutter following that was quite severe.

It should change slightly depending on pop but it basically just tracks how long it took to clean up all the garbage, this process makes your game stutter, if you're averaging 160ms then that means your garbage collection stutters/freezes are around 160ms long.

Makes me wonder what would happen if setting the timer to like 0 or 1, so that the GC process is just continuously running. Or at least to some super low value. The point being to not allow "garbage" to collect into any kind of sizeable amount, making there less for the GC process to have to deal with.

Edited by Hexerin

2 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Makes me wonder what would happen if setting the timer to like 0 or 1, so that the GC process is just continuously running. Or at least to some super low value. The point being to not allow "garbage" to collect into any kind of sizeable amount, making there less for the GC process to have to deal with.

it’s unplayable - the stutter happens no matter how short the timing is, decreasing the time between flatlining just makes fps completely unstable