Sign in to follow this  
PLAYLUXE

Nvidia RTX Remix for APB?

APB with significantly better graphics without any engine upgrade?

Maybe some of you already heard or even played some all time classics like Portal or Half Life lately which have been remastered with Nvidia's technology RTX Remix.

It's a technology which supports games starting with DirectX 8 and newer. This should include APB since it's running on DirectX 9 as far as I've read it in the system requirements.

I understand that some of us might not enable it in matches because of it's downsides regarding frame rate.

But speaking as a content creator, this might give us a huge quality boost for our content resulting in making the game more appealing to a wider audience. At least until we get a real native overhaul regarding lighting, textures and so on.

@MattScott Any thoughts about the practicality of this solution?

Edited by PLAYLUXE
  • Like 1

dude remove this parody of a video at least from ur profile..nobody will take anything seriously u post with this sht still around

Edited by TheMessiah

On 3/13/2023 at 5:54 PM, TheMessiah said:

dude remove this parody of a video at least from ur profile..nobody will take anything seriously u post with this sht still around

Well actually...it is a parody.

Anything else to contribute to the actual topic in here?

Fps is unsteady as it is I don't think we need it any lower. As long as it's optional I'm not against it though...

Edited by Weaboos
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Weaboos said:

Fps is unsteady as it is I don't think we need it any lower. As long as it's optional I'm not against it though...

Yep it definitely should be optional

On 3/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, TheMessiah said:

Ah the obligitary first response to a thread. To completly ignore the thread and to immediately discredit the poster in any way possible whilst adding nothing in value to the conversation or community.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Y2Venom said:

Ah the obligitary first response to a thread. To completly ignore the thread and to immediately discredit the poster in any way possible whilst adding nothing in value to the conversation or community.

dats old and changed chill..

Portal with RTX for example comes with an overlay settings menu specifically for RTX Remix.  Everything is adjustable to your preferences like more performance or more image quality. You can also turn it completely on/off.

That would be a great solution depending on how much effort the implementation takes.

Edited by PLAYLUXE
  • Like 1

I hope that with DirectX 12 they can bring in some new effects.

If anything though. I want to see symbols in HD (they lower in resolution when applied on anything) at least allow it to be user tweaked.

13 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I hope that with DirectX 12 they can bring in some new effects.

Did I miss any announcement on that? Because applying DX12 to an older game basically requires a new engine as far as I know. 

8 hours ago, PLAYLUXE said:

Did I miss any announcement on that? Because applying DX12 to an older game basically requires a new engine as far as I know. 

It's a low priority thing. But it was at the end if not near the end of the roadmap for 2023 (not that they think they actually fit all the stuff on that roadmap into 2023). But it is something they are interested in doing.

After trying to move apb to unreal 3.5 and failing they took a look at what APB's "unreal engine" actually is. And it's a highly modified version of unreal engine, so instead of making the jump to 3.5 they seem to be working backwards and are trying to port as much as they can from the 2.X version of the game to the current live build. The 64bit upgrade code was brought down from 2.X . Which according to them opens up more potential for the game.

Here to quote:

----------------------------------

DirectX12 Rendering System

-We would like to eventually replace our existing DX9 rendering pipeline with a DX12-based rendering system.

-Newer operating systems are supporting DX9 less and less, and our engine will continue to show its age until this gets completed.

as well:

Physically Based Rendering Pipeline

-PBR is already supported by later versions of Unreal, and to some extend in APB for clothes and cars.

-Our goal will be to convert the current models, textures, and lighting to a new PBR lighting pipeline. This means redoing high quality versions of map assets and to optimize the existing maps in the process while increasing visual fidelity and modernizing the look.

This is very much a ‘nice to have’ features. But it’s on the roadmap.

I think PBR, Better LODs, higher resolution textures, and some more objects placed in the districts would be a really nice facelift for the game. Asked one of the devs, and don't expect to see the 2.X version of social back. Sadly they don't think it will perform well at all. But maybe someday we can see face lifts like what 2.X had. 

On a side note, it would be nice if the Devs included some LUTs for us to switch around in the game settings. Some of us prefer if San Paro was more Dreary looking while I'm sure others would like it if it was more tropical.

But this is all stuff that would only be nice to see after more glaring issues are solved.

I must've somehow skipped the DirectX section. Either way it will take alot of time which is why I've asked if it might be easier and faster to integrate RTX Remix as a temporary solution.

Because at the moment the game looks very pale without any physical light sources or reflections.

Edited by PLAYLUXE