TheProfit

MattScott - Mobile Number Only Accounts Implementation Can Prevent Cheaters/Smurfs

Implementing mobile only accounts as a layer of extra protection can significantly prevent a big percentage of cheaters. This is a life saver for F2P games like Warzone. It will prevent a lot of cheaters without much effort.

Smurfs who use alt accounts for either cheating or not can also be prevented.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TheProfit said:

Implementing mobile only accounts as a layer of extra protection can significantly prevent a big percentage of cheaters. This is a life saver for F2P games like Warzone. It will prevent a lot of cheaters without much effort.

Smurfs who use alt accounts for either cheating or not can also be prevented.

It did absolutely fuck all for Warzone

see the issue here is that you end up fucking over non cheaters, while the cheaters figure out how to get around it to continue cheating. which efficiently tanks the player base

Warzone has even more cheaters than APB though.

Also phone barrier does not stop cheaters. It is incredibly easy to 'get around'.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

I still think it's a good idea. It's never going to fully stop cheaters, but if it prevents even one cheater from going through the effort of finding a workaround then it's a good idea. Would probably be a super quick idea to implement given there's likely other APIs that handle all that work, but then it'll cost LO money on a game that makes.... negative money?

• Like 1

I think it can definitely help prevent smurf accounts and then can add a layer of security if they want to introduce 2FA to prevent users being compromised. 

+1

• Like 1

The one large problem I see with adding mobile authentication is that its just too late. All the cheaters in APB probably have legitimate phone numbers they'll use. Cheaters apparently dont get banned anymore (seen some 2015-esque spinbotters on Jericho recently). And IF they ever do get banned, there's fairly easy ways to get around mobile authentication. It'd have worked if they brought it in back in like 2016-2018, but not now. Far too late

19 minutes ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

The one large problem I see with adding mobile authentication is that its just too late. All the cheaters in APB probably have legitimate phone numbers they'll use. Cheaters apparently dont get banned anymore (seen some 2015-esque spinbotters on Jericho recently). And IF they ever do get banned, there's fairly easy ways to get around mobile authentication. It'd have worked if they brought it in back in like 2016-2018, but not now. Far too late

You're not getting the point. This is a extra layer of protection against New Cheaters and Old Cheaters. The mobile numbers I am talking about are the proper ones from the big mobile operators and not the online/other ones. If you're a old cheater and u get banned, you can't use that mobile number again. There is no reason to say no to this. You would want more extra layers of protection as much as u can get instead of having non. Absolutely no reason to say no to a extra layer of protection.

1 hour ago, elementaryAPB said:

How to kill APB even more 101

If APB is dying because of cheaters, why would catching them kill it more? 

1 hour ago, TheProfit said:

You're not getting the point. This is a extra layer of protection against New Cheaters and Old Cheaters. The mobile numbers I am talking about are the proper ones from the big mobile operators and not the online/other ones. If you're a old cheater and u get banned, you can't use that mobile number again. There is no reason to say no to this. You would want more extra layers of protection as much as u can get instead of having non. Absolutely no reason to say no to a extra layer of protection.

Buddy, you dont understand.
1) Literally a 5 second google search can bring up 30 different websites used for "fake" phone numbers that are constantly use for mobile authentication globally.
2) The only way you could separate those from the "big mobile operators" is by having a partnership with said mobile operators, duh. On top of which LO would never get said partnership because they offer *nothing* for the mobile companies.

3)An extra layer of protection would be FAR better, if it was a fuckin anticheat, not some gimmick. EAC + FairFight + an actually updated and current version of Battleye, not this 5 year old ancient shit they have now.

Edited by NotTheEnforcer

12 minutes ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

Buddy, you dont understand.
1) Literally a 5 second google search can bring up 30 different websites used for "fake" phone numbers that are constantly use for mobile authentication globally.
2) The only way you could separate those from the "big mobile operators" is by having a partnership with said mobile operators, duh. On top of which LO would never get said partnership because they offer *nothing* for the mobile companies.

3)An extra layer of protection would be FAR better, if it was a fuckin anticheat, not some gimmick. EAC + FairFight + an actually updated and current version of Battleye, not this 5 year old ancient shit they have now.

They have announced an update to the anticheat which should be coming soon. 

15 minutes ago, Reprimand said:

They have announced an update to the anticheat which should be coming soon. 

Soon to them is within the next decade. Took them this long just to do goddamn 64 bit. I dont have high hopes for anything else to be updated within the next year.

18 minutes ago, NotTheEnforcer said:

Soon to them is within the next decade. Took them this long just to do goddamn 64 bit. I dont have high hopes for anything else to be updated within the next year.

Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. 

20 hours ago, TheProfit said:

Overwatch 2 is the most recent to pretty much prove that mobile is stupid. The cheaters were not deterred by it at all, meanwhile legitimate players were impacted enough that they partially rolled it back.

Its a good idea but it would kill off prospective new players.

First U have to consider the price of decent phones, and service, and the age group we would want to attract.

Not every1 say 15-25 has the means to keep a phone paid. They may need to change providers, 

They may not be able to maintain a number for years without interruption of service.

They may be edgy about giving their number out.

So the new player may not even consider trying this game if they have to have a ph. #.

I can tell U a few games I looked at wanted a phone, so I scrolled on.

I aint giving my # out. 

Would do literally nothing, because phone number spoofing services exist (and many are free).

6 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Would do literally nothing, because phone number spoofing services exist (and many are free).

was about to say I thought you could easily spoof phone numbers.

Alright new plan. Lets just have it be our social security number  to one APB account

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

was about to say I thought you could easily spoof phone numbers.

Alright new plan. Lets just have it be our social security number  to one APB account

Aside from this being a joke, ssn numbers are empirically sequenced number, someone has an ssn 1 digit above yours, and below yours. And one above them, etc... It's not until numbered issued out in 2011 did they change the simple incremented sequence to have a check digit and no longer be incremented by one.

Not to mention the non-US players like those in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe, and so on, do not have such SSNs.

Really the only thing that could be of valid use is IP Addresses, but that even has issues banning buildings (like those in University dorms) rather than individual computers. Or the fact that IP addresses can change.

we know who every single cheater is in APB. the problem is not finding the cheaters, the fact is that little orbit are corrupt and refuse to ban them.

There should be some kind of 3rd party personal id based verification service working with gaming companies.

Why phone verification is still being used, If there's fake phone number services available?

22 minutes ago, xHenryman90x said:

There should be some kind of 3rd party personal id based verification service working with gaming companies.

Why phone verification is still being used, If there's fake phone number services available?

No. Don't turn this into Korea.

3 hours ago, xHenryman90x said:

Let's also just put mandatory chips in everyone that tracks them and their biometrics and is required for basic things like groceries. Cheated in apb? No groceries for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xHenryman90x said:

because working with massive amounts of identity data is a liability