MattScott

APB 1.30 Open Beta has begun

Hi everyone,

For those that don't follow my 64-bit updates, I'm creating a new thread here where players can discuss testing issues.

We have opened a public test server that is now online for APB 1.30, the 64bit upgrade.
We had a group of community players in test districts yesterday.

Before I give notes and links below, I do want to set expectations. This is our 3rd attempt to upgrade APB and it's massive codebase. The first attempt was to finish off work that was started on APB 2.x before we took over. That entire attempt was flawed because the underlying code was the APB console code. They skipped major parts of 1.20 when they did that upgrade, so getting to better performance was never going to be possible. Our second attempt was to start with APB 1.20 and pull down all the functionality from APB 2.x. That effort was also met with failure, because there were simply too many moving parts. 

So we decided to slim things down and simply upgrade the codebase to 64-bit. This gives us native compatibility with RTX cards, but my hope is that this doesn't feel any different than APB 1.20. This is just us getting to first base instead of continuing to strike out trying to hit a home run. From here, we can cherry pick features out of 2.x and migrate them one by one into 1.30.

"I dont want Perfect to be the enemy of Good." The community has waited too long for forward progress. So I'm anxious to get us a decent foundation to build off of.

Notes for the test:

• Effective this evening, we have opened access to all players. There is no whitelist or NDA for the test. Anyone may download the client and provide feedback on the forums.
  • You can hop on to OTW by downloading the launcher here: https://apb.patch.ot.gamersfirst.com/APB_OTW_Installer.exe
  • Streaming and open discussion of the test is allowed as of this post.
  • EasyAntiCheat is currently present – but we are using Battleye for the time being. As previously mentioned, our plan is to integrate EasyAntiCheat as quickly as possible.

Known Bugs:

• If you are encountering issues running the game, run the launcher’s repair tool.
    • There is an issue with BattlEye and multiple APB directories that running “Repair” on the OTW launcher will fix.
  • There are known issues involving doors respawning in specific parts of maps.
  • There is an issue with Joker Ammo machines repeating audio.
  • Baked shaders and lighting may be incorrect in certain areas of the maps.
  • A highly specific crash related to the music player known to exist. (EDITED: Thanks Skitty)
  • A highly specific crash related to the clothing editor is known to exist.

Provided there are no major blockers during the test, we plan on cutting over to LIVE with 1.30 as soon as possible.

We hope to see you in-game testing!

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

this is much sooner than i expected tbh, i’m cautiously optimistic 

Could you guys maybe make a basic in game benchmark for 1.20 and 1.30 something that'll make it easier to compare the different builds side by side and run to run. It doesn't have to be crazy complex just a camera on a track with some premade scenes/actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

Could you guys maybe make a basic in game benchmark for 1.20 and 1.30 something that'll make it easier to compare the different builds side by side and run to run. It doesn't have to be crazy complex just a camera on a track with some premade scenes/actions.

1.30 looks identical to live, nothing has changed in that regard, its a foundational change without any visual impact, however, I can still provide you with the data of 3 of the benchmarks I ran, you will quickly notice that the first two are basically identical with the third one being a run with uncapped fps that I however can't mirror with a benchmark from Live since Live obviously has capped FPS.

Specs are as follows:

Intel i9 12900k (Stock)

2080 Super

32GB of 4000Mhz Ram

Live 1080p Max settings (145 FPS Cap)

image.png

1.30 1080p Max settings (145 FPS Cap)

image.png

1.30 1080p Max settings (Uncapped FPS)

image.png

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Out of memory. Exiting...

just like in regular version.

i9 12900kf, RTX 4090, 64GB RAM 4000Mhz

400-600 FPS in social

200-250 FPS in Financial no matter which resolution and settings

Edited by slaughs

after 10 years were getting somewere boys. but dont piss yourselfs yet

couple things i noticed from my playsession:
-can't join a friend in financial-1 through friend list ui
-importing music crashes the game
-joker ammo vending machines repeat the audio too often or something (as stated in known issues) and lack the audio filter or whatever (not stated)

anyone there to confirm whether joining friends in any district works?

Edited by Yeedman

The good:

- It didn't crash? I don't know because it popped up the crash report without crashing. I just kept playing.

- FPS is higher on average than the current Live build. Fluctuates between 130-160, with some areas going over 200.

• CPU: W3680
  • RAM: 24GB DDR3 2133 9-10-10
  • GPU: GTX 1080
  • SSD: 960 EVO NVMe

The bad:

- Every bug that is in the Live version is also in the Beta. Car glitch, high fps sliding bug, false hit markers, etc.

- Audio is horrid. Sounds without line of sight are muffled too much. Some sounds like grenade beeps can't be heard. A lot of sounds are missing effects. Osmaw explosions crackle.

- Garbage collection stutter is still there. It doesn't happen as often but it's still a problem.

- The hitreg goes to crap when the server population increases.

- High latency players worsen low latency players hit registration.

- The game still requires admin rights, unlike any other game I've played.

EDIT:

Audio can be partially fixed by disabling the sound environments. I'm guessing these affects are being applied wrong.

Most configs still work. Some .upk files can't be modified but I see that as a good thing. The game overall runs better, I'm just being critical on minor issues. Honestly, I'm impressed how well it runs considering the rush to switch from the original upgrade to just migrating to 64 bit.

Edited by BlatMan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Yeedman said:

-importing music crashes the game

This is logged in Matts post but the wording is wrong.  it should be Music Player, not Music Studio.

• Like 1

- Fix an issue where a crash occurs on exit during the build process.

- Resolve an issue relating to a third-party library responsible for loading intro movies.

These 2 issues from previous update was fixed?just curious..

- Garbage collection stutter is still there. It doesn't happen as often but it's still a problem.

So its not just me ok.Looks like for graphic cards below RTX-this lag spikes still happenin(at least i have it)

Edited by AlienTM

11 hours ago, MattScott said:

Olá a todos,

Para aqueles que não acompanham minhas atualizações de 64 bits, estou criando um novo tópico aqui onde os jogadores podem discutir problemas de teste.

Abrimos um servidor de teste público que agora está online para APB 1.30, a atualização de 64 bits.
Tivemos um grupo de jogadores da comunidade em distritos de teste ontem.

Antes de fornecer notas e links abaixo, quero definir expectativas. Esta é a nossa terceira tentativa de atualizar o APB e sua enorme base de código. A primeira tentativa foi terminar o trabalho iniciado no APB 2.x antes de assumirmos. Toda essa tentativa foi falha porque o código subjacente era o código do console APB. Eles pularam partes importantes do 1.20 quando fizeram essa atualização, portanto, obter um melhor desempenho nunca seria possível. Nossa segunda tentativa foi começar com o APB 1.20 e extrair toda a funcionalidade do APB 2.x. Esse esforço também falhou, porque simplesmente havia muitas partes móveis. 

Portanto, decidimos reduzir as coisas e simplesmente atualizar a base de código para 64 bits. Isso nos dá compatibilidade nativa com cartões RTX, mas minha esperança é que isso não seja diferente do APB 1.20. Estamos apenas chegando à primeira base, em vez de continuar a atacar tentando fazer um home run. A partir daqui, podemos selecionar recursos de 2.x e migrá-los um por um para 1.30.

"Não quero que o Perfeito seja inimigo do Bom." A comunidade esperou muito tempo para avançar. Então, estou ansioso para conseguir uma base decente para construir.

Observações para o teste:

• A partir desta noite, abrimos o acesso a todos os jogadores. Não há lista de permissões ou NDA para o teste. Qualquer pessoa pode baixar o cliente e fornecer feedback nos fóruns.
  • Você pode entrar no OTW baixando o iniciador aqui:  http://apb.patch.ot.gamersfirst.com/APB_OTW_Installer.exe
  • Streaming e discussão aberta do teste são permitidos a partir deste post.
  • O EasyAntiCheat está presente no momento - mas estamos usando o Battleye por enquanto. Como mencionado anteriormente, nosso plano é integrar o EasyAntiCheat o mais rápido possível.

Erros conhecidos:

• Se você tiver problemas ao executar o jogo, execute a ferramenta de reparo do inicializador.
    • Há um problema com o BattlEye e vários diretórios APB que a execução de “Repair” no iniciador OTW corrigirá.
  • Existem problemas conhecidos envolvendo o reaparecimento de portas em partes específicas dos mapas.
  • Há um problema com as máquinas Joker Ammo repetindo o áudio.
  • Shaders e iluminação podem estar incorretos em certas áreas dos mapas.
  • Sabe-se que existe uma falha altamente específica relacionada ao estúdio de música.
  • Sabe-se que existe uma falha altamente específica relacionada ao editor de roupas.

Desde que não haja grandes bloqueadores durante o teste, planejamos passar para o LIVE com 1,30 o mais rápido possível.

Esperamos vê-lo testando no jogo!

Obrigado,

Matt

That's what I was talking about. Are critics now hopeful? Something I said weeks ago?

53 minutes ago, DigiMax said:

how to sing up for that ?

follow the link to installl, and you are in!

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, MrLek said:

That's what I was talking about. Are critics now hopeful? Something I said weeks ago?

It's still the same game, with the same fundamental flaws and with the same horrendous upgrade path (inability to ship updates and new content faster) until said otherwise.

It's still stuck on a Kismet + Scaleform UI mix, which is a major FPS hog. (also disallows including all 3 fight club maps in rotation, as stated by Revoemag ages ago)

It's still stuck on horrendous weapon balancing based upon RNG mechanics.

It's still stuck on a morphed/stitched-together UE version, which doesn't allow for implementations of modern technologies such as Reflex, FSR etc.

It's still using horrendous mouse input, with the 'inability' to implement multi-threaded mouse input.

It's still stuck with the high FPS issues due to earlier UE versions having these limitations, so good luck running 240fps/360fps 😄

None of which can or will be addressed as they haven't upgraded to a newer UE version.

Edited by yourrandomnobody74

So, from my few hours of playing missions on Financial just now I'm fairly impressed by the performance improvements so far.

On max settings, I initially averaged about 200fps on Financial (generally between 170-230) and 230 on Waterfront (170-250). Game ran very smooth, with maybe one fairly big stutter every 5-10 minutes or so - about 95% of my stutters in general appear to be eliminated, though the district population never reached higher than 20-20.  The main issue I did notice was my fps gradually lowering over time, and after ~90 mins of playing it averaged about 100-110. 

Any other bugs relating to gameplay/environment that I noticed have already been mentioned above.

i9-10850k @ 4.8ghz 

RTX 3060 stock

32gb 3600mhz DDR4

1920x1080 resolution

Installed on a (very old and worn out) Samsung 840 Evo

Edited by Kiida

1 hour ago, Kiida said:

The main issue I did notice was my fps gradually lowering over time, and after ~90 mins of playing it averaged about 100-110. 

Memory Leak.

13 hours ago, Frosi said:

1.30 looks identical to live, nothing has changed in that regard, its a foundational change without any visual impact, however, I can still provide you with the data of 3 of the benchmarks I ran, you will quickly notice that the first two are basically identical with the third one being a run with uncapped fps that I however can't mirror with a benchmark from Live since Live obviously has capped FPS.

Specs are as follows:

Intel i9 12900k (Stock)

2080 Super

32GB of 4000Mhz Ram

Live 1080p Max settings (145 FPS Cap)

image.png

1.30 1080p Max settings (145 FPS Cap)

image.png

1.30 1080p Max settings (Uncapped FPS)

image.png

I want repeatable benchmarks where the variables are controlled and go unchanged run to run NOT an avg FPS chart.

Launched the old version of the client without closing the new version of the client. The new version of the client has closed and the old one has started. I went to the Financial District. I wrote a message to the chat. Opened the menu, change of area, social. When loading, the sound became like 8 bits. The bug has not disappeared in the social area.