Sign in to follow this  
NilPointer

[APBGame/Config/APBEngine.ini] Client overwrites config on launch

I am unsure when you introduced this (last Wednesday or two days ago) but I noticed that when APB.exe is launched, the config file under `APB Reloaded\APBGame\Config\APBEngine.ini` file is overwritten with a default one.

I am not really sure what you are trying to prevent, but this has a few relevant downsides you clearly have not considered nor have you announced publicly of this decision. Namely the frame rate settings.

I am fortunate enough to have a 144hz screen. To take advantage of this monitor and a CPU 10 years ahead of this game's time, I edit my APBEngine.ini file, under `Engine.GameEngine`, raising the values of `MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62` to something reasonable and 2022-ish.

Now of course this is impossible since on launch you're overwriting this file with the 62fps cap.

If there is a ground-breaking config that cannot be changed, it should not be in an .ini file, and instead compiled along the APB binary. If there is a need for a local file that needs to be replaced (or checked with a checksum) then at least break apart your business logic so it does not interfere with customizable settings by the client. Refresh rate surely is one of them.

Don't ignore this issue like all the rest. Thank you in advance.

make the file read only
also i would recommend setting the cap to 128fps since above that physics and game logic starts to break

The file you need to edit is: 'APB Reloaded\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini'

It's been this way for years.

Edited by BlatMan

On 11/20/2022 at 4:21 AM, Yeedman said:

make the file read only
also i would recommend setting the cap to 128fps since above that physics and game logic starts to break

I tried it before posting, the file is overwritten on launch. In reality, it is being deleted and a new one written with the same name, in the same directory.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, BlatMan said:

The file you need to edit is: 'APB Reloaded\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini'

It's been this way for years.

Oh really, smartass, then where do you set the FrameRate settings in it? I know what I am talking about, I didn't start yesterday despite the forum reputation. I am referring to the correct file.

My bad I misread your post. Turn off smooth frame rate and v-sync in the settings, and turn it off or set it to "fast" in the nvidia control panel.

The only reason you would need to edit the configs is to limit the framerate to 120fps, to prevent the character sliding bug. Other than that, you don't need to modify the configs.

It is the BaseEngine.ini. It's line 164 "MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62". Most likely it got overwritten by the event patch.