Sign in to follow this  
ChangedName

If you could change any game mechanic, what and how?

Hello everyone! I'm curious mainly from the standpoint of creating my own game, but also because I love(d) APB quite a lot and had loads of fun with it. I know everyone is focused on the engine upgrade and such but for a minute maybe distract yourself from that by writing about what game mechanic you think could use some changing. I think APB set out to do some cool things with customization, but that same energy and dedication didn't quite apply to everything else in the game. Perhaps list a couple of different things you'd like to change (i.e matchmaking, leveling up/achievements, etc.) and how/why you would want to change them. I'm most curious about what could be changed to make the game more fun. Very interested to see what everyone says! Cheers.

are yellow mods a mechanic? if so, ill take a complete down-grade of apb to the 2013 version with 255contacts. apb would be fun again

I would remove teleporting into cars. It's one of the main factors as for why we have car gaming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, VanilleKeks said:

I would remove teleporting into cars. It's one of the main factors as for why we have car gaming.

To add to that, let players manually choose which side of the vehicle to exit from. I hate it when there's plenty of room to exit the vehicle but the game thinks it's blocked so it shoves me in the passenger seat for 2 seconds, then another 2 seconds to get out, then I blow up.

infinite district population, because that also means the servers can't be bargain bin virtual trash heaps

2 things for the price of 1

• Thanks 1

Make it so the ladders are walk towards to get on / press F to get on (toggleable) , and so you can stop / move up / down on them and be able to use your secondary on them if you're not moving.

more interactions with the environment like in old gta games:positive/negative reply to civilian,option to sit on bench,to buy drinks/food from the coke/food machines,medic/ambulance and taxi missions etc

• Like 2

All my suggestions will be aimed at maintaining the health of the nervous system.

Button to exit any mission. Postpone closing private messages of blacklisted players for a few minutes.

Disable the need to press Tab after a mission.

Voting of all team members for the exclusion of any player without penalty medals.

Unlocking the exit button from the district during a mission.

Change 3D scenes and music when starting the game, they always look like crap.

Possibility to stand in line to enter the district.

Fight against broken game mechanics, for example, the rapid movement of cargo, a sharp increase in the rate of fire while maintaining a certain timing.

Merged.

Easy to win by using a pistol at close range against a shotgun, or a Kalashnikov against a sniper rifle at long range. Developers should think about creating a tool aimed at studying the balance of weapons.
This tool should collect weapon data such as popularity, distance to kill, time to kill, and more.
In the future, the collected data should be presented in a well-understood form for comparison.
Find out why the weapon is not popular or very popular, and fix it, find its place. This will increase the variety of game mechanics.

Edited by Yapopal

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The main menu.

You know what I  mean.

Honestly, that would probably be the best thing to keep new players coming. Kinda hard to get someone interested in playing when the first thing they see is a loading screen, followed by a low budget Bollywood knockoff of Michael Bay with a fog horn at 100% volume.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlatMan said:

Honestly, that would probably be the best thing to keep new players coming

The main menu that you are on for all of 5 seconds?

10 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

first impressions are important 

• Like 1

Make gunplay actually skill-based (no RNG ads, less movement penalty), add movement mechanics (faster AD strafes, walljumps, faster crouch speed), change vehicle handlings and a ton of other things which will never get implemented 🙂

oh you know make match making fair. not fun osmawing level 11-30

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:12 PM, AlienTM said:

more interactions with the environment like [...] option to sit on bench

By far the best implementation of this was given in City of Heroes / City of Villains. They simply had emotes for a variety of sitting and leaning poses so you could sit on or lean against everything.

10 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

It would only be 5 seconds if it was the old main manu.

I'd remove the "out of bound" limits and all the invisible walls on high rooftops where we used to jump on with 4x4s cos that was fun.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pinpuce said:

I'd remove the "out of bound" limits and all the invisible walls on high rooftops where we used to jump on with 4x4s cos that was fun.

I'm fine with the timed out of bounds system. They need to remove the instant kill areas, and it should not be active when out of mission.

Overhaul missions. Getting defense just automatically puts you at the advantage. Attackers having to reach the final stage to win, but defenders could potential win at any stage. Not to mention just some of the completely one sided defending missions. Yeah there is a couple of plant and defend type missions, but the overwhelming majority of missions are straight defend or attack.

Edited by skerblerd

Snipers will have functional scopes

Which also means you can no longer use it for close range combat. 

Remove vip stage completely

limit the amount of explosive weapons in fight club, when there’s more then 5 opgl in asylum it becomes literally unplayable getting spammed every corner in close radius from the point.

Reduce the required amount of penalty medals before getting kicked if you’re using opgl/osmaw or add penalty medal for assisting in killing your teammate(only for opgl/osmaw users). I’m sick of players that don’t care if you’re close to enemies and fight them in cqc, opgl or osmaw users will try no matter what to kill that guy and take you with him. Not fun at all.

Nerf a maximum speed for cars with item or vip inside even more. 

Revert obeya nerf. None is playing with it anymore. Before a nerf it was a questionable choice to use it instead of obir. Now there’s completely no reason to pick it.

Revert carbine nerf, I haven’t seen someone crying towards a little buff you made. The gun is not usable after 15 meters with its accuracy, you’re just praying for good rng while hipfiring. No point to use when you have oscar.

Add 4x4 versions of Jericho and bishada. I don’t know why it’s still not a thing. Two good looking cars that people don’t use because of a terrible handling. And I’m bored of using vegas 4x4 and coywolf for years. 

And the best thing what you can do with the game right now till you release a new patch is to remove a faction segregation. Imagine instead of joining a district and waiting for an opposition among 40 players from opposite faction you will have a chance to get an opposition among all the players in your district. It’s a good fix till we get a new matchmaking system and a new patch. I’m tired of jumping between two factions because one faction either has lower amount of players or there’re only lowbie silvers that makes you spamming empty missions for a long time.

And the last thing I want to ask. Do not fix radar tower, just remove it and forget it. The most terrible modification. I’m glad that it has been broken and LO couldn’t fix it so they turned it off.

Edited by gremlen
  • Like 1

As for my suggested changes:

Make the designer controls consistent. I.e, you can 'mirror' a symbol on a car, but not on clothing (While at it, i would say L.O should also fix the alignment of said mirror, it is slightly off-center). You can select multiple symbols in the designer, but not on the car or clothing editors. There was also somewhere that you couldn't access the undo / redo buttons.

With the formal clothing, make fitted options. The current options are way too baggy for a modern style. 

And suggested addition: 

Also add a feature to allow the saving of design templates that do not take up space in your locker. To clarify, if you make clan clothing you will be able to save templates for the clan clothing and be able to use it on any clothing of the same category (such as a clan shirt template could be used on all items in the 'tops' category, while still allowing for editing to make minor adjustments).

This will result in two things: 1. your locker will have freed up space, and 2. The creator of the template can distribute it to other people to use as well. 

This would also be extremely useful for cars, such as the Monster-themed cars back in the day, could just make 1 template and use it on a vegas, veo, and so on. Of course it won't be perfect, but it will save a lot of ground-work when trying to make several different items of the same theme. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this