Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho47z

APB on Unreal Engine 5

Recommended Posts

Hi, Im not game developer myself so my thought might be stupid, but since UE5 is out now and its made so game production is faster and easier than ever, I was thinking would it be posible to just build APB on it? 

I mean if all assets from the current game are used as they are, meshes, animations etc, wouldn't rebuilding the game on the latest engine be easier than trying to upgrade the engine itself?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show / play. In other words, not feasible unless you're a massive publisher and don't care about income while the rebuilding happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Frosi said:

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show

we started the 9th year since the engine upgrade was announced and they still have nothing to show us..facts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly with how slow everything is going  i don't mind waiting another 4-5 years lol. They should just rebuild apb in UE 5 and shutdown the live version. Hear me out and then release it under a new name :).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ZoriaDunne said:

LO não possui mais IP APB.

And who has it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Even if they had the resources (they don’t), LO no longer owns the rights to APB.

who does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrLek said:

And who has it?

 

26 minutes ago, temv said:

who does?

Some company named Unit Game.

Good luck finding any info on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Frosi said:

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show / play. In other words, not feasible unless you're a massive publisher and don't care about income while the rebuilding happens.

Why build it from scratch? Can't they just port the existing assets like models, textures, animations, sound etc over and build the same game on the new engine. They already have the entire game build, so there is no need for creating new ideas or concepts and mechanics to begin with. APB is quite old, so its fairly simplistic in detail - flat terain, empty boring streets, and couple braindead pedestrians

. Apart from the customisation there aren't some very complex mechanics involved. Even with a small team I believe it should be posible. Just take a look at this - 

 

I mean if one person can do this in 2 months using existing assets, Why can't a dev team with 15 - 20 people rebuild APB in UE5 in lets say 2 years.

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

 

Some company named Unit Game.

Good luck finding any info on them.

And there goes the dream lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psycho47z said:

Why build it from scratch?

as far as i’m aware unreal 3 used a proprietary coding language, and unreal 4/unreal 5 do not - every bit of code would need to be rewritten from the ground up to run on the newer unreal engines

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Psycho47z said:

Why build it from scratch? Can't they just port the existing assets like models, textures, animations, sound etc over and build the same game on the new engine. They already have the entire game build, so there is no need for creating new ideas or concepts and mechanics to begin with. APB is quite old, so its fairly simplistic in detail - flat terain, empty boring streets, and couple braindead pedestrians

. Apart from the customisation there aren't some very complex mechanics involved. Even with a small team I believe it should be posible. Just take a look at this - 

For all I know Unreal 4 is very different from Unreal 3, so much that you're better off rebuilding from Scratch rather than trying to port from 3 to 4 as most if not all of your code will no longer be functioning, APB also runs a crap ton of custom code to the point where APB's version of Unreal 3 may as well be its own engine and use some Unreal 3 things on top of it. In short, Unreal 3 differs too much compared to 4 while 4 and 5 are similar enough to allow for Unreal 4 projects to be migrated to Unreal 5, although even that will take a lot of work.

 

As to building from Scratch, there's a lot to APB, an extreme amount of background systems doing things that most players would never notice, rebuilding it would be such a huge effort that you may as well make a new rather than try to rebuild a failed game again.

Edited by Frosi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frosi said:

For all I Unreal 4 is very different from Unreal 3, so much that you're better off rebuilding from Scratch rather than trying to port from 3 to 4 as most if not all of your code will no longer be functioning, APB also runs a crap ton of custom code to the point where APB's version of Unreal 3 may as well be its own engine and use some Unreal 3 things on top of it. In short, Unreal 3 differs too much compared to 4 while 4 and 5 are similar enough to allow for Unreal 4 projects to be migrated to Unreal 5, although even that will take a lot of work.

 

As to building from Scratch, there's a lot to APB, an extreme amount of background systems doing things that most players would never notice, rebuilding it would be such a huge effort that you may as well make a new rather than try to rebuild a failed game again.

And there goes the dream #2 

 

Thanks for explaining 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, game mechanics are ok, not the best but are ok, but what make APB the best game is the customization and trade mechanic.
Imagine APB with more polygons, better looking cars, better looking characters. Today we have lot of free instruments vst free with a good quality for making better death songs and songs in general.
I would love to play apb like back at the day if there is more than 10 persons on NA. But i don't mind losing everything if they start a new game with better servers, and a very new graphics. Doesn't matter if it takes 5 years of developing  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, CookiePuss said:

 

Some company named Unit Game.

Good luck finding any info on them.

lel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, CookiePuss said:

 

Some company named Unit Game.

Good luck finding any info on them.

Oh lmao LO gave up

 

Who didn't see that coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, skerblerd said:

 

Oh lmao LO gave up

 

Who didn't see that coming

It was definitely a bummer when it happened. LO still retains ownership of APB Reloaded specifically, so they can continue to develop it. 
So at least there’s that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...