Sign in to follow this  
Psycho47z

APB on Unreal Engine 5

Hi, Im not game developer myself so my thought might be stupid, but since UE5 is out now and its made so game production is faster and easier than ever, I was thinking would it be posible to just build APB on it? 

I mean if all assets from the current game are used as they are, meshes, animations etc, wouldn't rebuilding the game on the latest engine be easier than trying to upgrade the engine itself?

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show / play. In other words, not feasible unless you're a massive publisher and don't care about income while the rebuilding happens.

6 hours ago, Frosi said:

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show

we started the 9th year since the engine upgrade was announced and they still have nothing to show us..facts

• Like 1

honestly with how slow everything is going  i don't mind waiting another 4-5 years lol. They should just rebuild apb in UE 5 and shutdown the live version. Hear me out and then release it under a new name :).

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, ZoriaDunne said:

LO não possui mais IP APB.

And who has it?

2 hours ago, MrLek said:

And who has it?

26 minutes ago, temv said:

who does?

Some company named Unit Game.

Good luck finding any info on them.

16 hours ago, Frosi said:

Updating APB to anything past 3.5 would mean having to rebuild it from scratch and rebuilding APB on newer versions of Unreal with a medium sized team would likely take many years before they have anything that they can show / play. In other words, not feasible unless you're a massive publisher and don't care about income while the rebuilding happens.

Why build it from scratch? Can't they just port the existing assets like models, textures, animations, sound etc over and build the same game on the new engine. They already have the entire game build, so there is no need for creating new ideas or concepts and mechanics to begin with. APB is quite old, so its fairly simplistic in detail - flat terain, empty boring streets, and couple braindead pedestrians

. Apart from the customisation there aren't some very complex mechanics involved. Even with a small team I believe it should be posible. Just take a look at this - 

I mean if one person can do this in 2 months using existing assets, Why can't a dev team with 15 - 20 people rebuild APB in UE5 in lets say 2 years.

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

And there goes the dream lol.

1 hour ago, Psycho47z said:

Why build it from scratch?

as far as i’m aware unreal 3 used a proprietary coding language, and unreal 4/unreal 5 do not - every bit of code would need to be rewritten from the ground up to run on the newer unreal engines

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Psycho47z said:

Why build it from scratch? Can't they just port the existing assets like models, textures, animations, sound etc over and build the same game on the new engine. They already have the entire game build, so there is no need for creating new ideas or concepts and mechanics to begin with. APB is quite old, so its fairly simplistic in detail - flat terain, empty boring streets, and couple braindead pedestrians

. Apart from the customisation there aren't some very complex mechanics involved. Even with a small team I believe it should be posible. Just take a look at this - 

For all I know Unreal 4 is very different from Unreal 3, so much that you're better off rebuilding from Scratch rather than trying to port from 3 to 4 as most if not all of your code will no longer be functioning, APB also runs a crap ton of custom code to the point where APB's version of Unreal 3 may as well be its own engine and use some Unreal 3 things on top of it. In short, Unreal 3 differs too much compared to 4 while 4 and 5 are similar enough to allow for Unreal 4 projects to be migrated to Unreal 5, although even that will take a lot of work.

As to building from Scratch, there's a lot to APB, an extreme amount of background systems doing things that most players would never notice, rebuilding it would be such a huge effort that you may as well make a new rather than try to rebuild a failed game again.

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frosi said:

For all I Unreal 4 is very different from Unreal 3, so much that you're better off rebuilding from Scratch rather than trying to port from 3 to 4 as most if not all of your code will no longer be functioning, APB also runs a crap ton of custom code to the point where APB's version of Unreal 3 may as well be its own engine and use some Unreal 3 things on top of it. In short, Unreal 3 differs too much compared to 4 while 4 and 5 are similar enough to allow for Unreal 4 projects to be migrated to Unreal 5, although even that will take a lot of work.

As to building from Scratch, there's a lot to APB, an extreme amount of background systems doing things that most players would never notice, rebuilding it would be such a huge effort that you may as well make a new rather than try to rebuild a failed game again.

And there goes the dream #2 

Thanks for explaining 🙂

I mean, game mechanics are ok, not the best but are ok, but what make APB the best game is the customization and trade mechanic.
Imagine APB with more polygons, better looking cars, better looking characters. Today we have lot of free instruments vst free with a good quality for making better death songs and songs in general.
I would love to play apb like back at the day if there is more than 10 persons on NA. But i don't mind losing everything if they start a new game with better servers, and a very new graphics. Doesn't matter if it takes 5 years of developing  

On 10/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, CookiePuss said:

Oh lmao LO gave up

Who didn't see that coming

30 minutes ago, skerblerd said:

Oh lmao LO gave up

Who didn't see that coming

It was definitely a bummer when it happened. LO still retains ownership of APB Reloaded specifically, so they can continue to develop it. 
So at least there’s that.

On 10/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, MrLek said:

And who has it?

On 10/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, temv said:

who does?

https://unitgame.com/

They're using the old RTW video and screenshots. Nothing about the company other than they're somewhere in Hong Kong and hold APB rights.

We need to release a mod for the online game cyber garbage. The game is ready.

You can't just upgrade a game. First of all UE3.5 and UE5 are two completely different things. You would need to design the whole game from scratch. Sure you have the art assets and the sounds but you have to build everything from scratch on new UE5 systems. This is especially horrible when you are doing it on existing legacy code as you first have to put all of the systems apart to understand their design which includes everything from handling of weapons, movement in the game, mission systems, networking, resource management etc and then you need to translate it onto the new systems. Yes you can do a new game rather quickly but then it wouldn't be APB anymore. Translating a legacy project to a new engine is super tedious and the only way to have the game keep the exact same feel and mechanics.

• Thanks 1

*Trying to figure out what custom code APB has that can't be replicated whatsoever by using other engines* *still no clue as everything i've seen in APB, other games have* *except the amount of customization*

Hell, in APB cars work the way they do because the player "becomes part" of the car when entering. xd

Edited by Noob_Guardian