Clumsyhunt3R

A list of all the known techs of APB

This will be stuff like jump-kicking, item-hopping, vehicle ramping, and so on. Here are the ones i know so far: 

General techs:

- Jump-kicking doors, almost everyone knows this. Sprint across an unopened door, jump then interact with the door to open it while remaining relatively safe. You can also do this with unroofed doors without peeking over the top by jogging and timing it right. Credit: @Leefekyn

- Reloading while driving, have not seen many people do this. Enter the car through the passenger door, spam reload and it will reload your gun while in the driver seat. Only really useful for LMGs or any weapons with a reload time longer than it takes to move across to the driver seat.  

- Jumping over vehicles trying to run you over. Requires perfect timing, and does not work with any cars higher than the Vegas. Requires low latency. 

- Ladder jumping. Pressing the jump button while on a ladder will jump up and back off the ladder. Allows you to gain line of sight on the above area. If timed right can grab the item blocking the ladder.* Clicking or pressing the interaction button while on a ladder will make your character fall off regularly. Credit: @glaciers

- Pixel peeking. Some cover has gaps that can be shot through. Such as most glass railings have a gap between them and the floor, and some cover is just lower then crouch height, meaning the very top of the characters hitbox will still be exposed to fire. Credit: @glaciers

Objectives:

- Item hopping medium and heavy objective items. Sprint-jump, grab the item just as you lift off the ground, then when you land drop it and repeat. Requires low latency.

- Ladder blocking. Ladders can be blocked with any physical object (including players) by placing them on the edge above the ladder. Dropping physical items / landing on anyone climbing the ladder will cause them to fall off. 

- Some objectives can be taken from weird angles, such as hacking satellites can be taken from all around. Useful while there is an obstruction on the objective (Such as a car). For most sprays and break ins they can be taken by jumping on top of or navigating next to the obstruction. Credit: @NotZombieBiscuit

Vehicles:

- Vehicle ramping. Different per vehicle, but generally requires nitro booster 3. Bring all the weight of the vehicle to the front (by breaking or reversing while holding the handbrake), then pop nitro and accelerate. In cars like the Jericho or Vegas, this should result in the front of the car lifting off the ground allowing you to ramp after colliding with an object that is more or less crouch height. 

- Budget car-surfer. Can stay on top of a vehicle without car surfer by holding a heavy item and crouching. Works best with a deployable shield as they can block bullets while held.   

- Instant vehicle entry. Can enter a vehicle instantly if the door is accessible but the animation would be blocked. Prioritises the driver seat if available. Credit: @mtz

- Negate VIP vehicle acceleration impediments by either using a Han Coywolf or by ramping a smaller vehicle (such as a Mikro or Varzuga) into the back of a Doltom Montane. Credit: @BlatMan

- De-sync your character's model from their hitbox after exiting a vehicle while drifting right. Effect ends when car stops. Unsure if this is considered an exploit. Latency affects this. Credit: @glaciers

Weapons:

- Grenade / ADS hopping. Can retain full sprint speed by sprint jumping then hopping then cooking a grenade / aiming down sights (ADS), and jumping just as you touch the ground. Requires perfect timing, seems to be possible with latency. Credit: @Flaws & @Leefekyn 

- Throw grenades behind you by holding 'look back' while cooking a grenade. The grenade will be thrown in the opposite direction that your character animation is facing. Credit: @glaciers

- Faster grenade resupply. Resupply grenades faster by firing a shot from your secondary before resupplying. Credit: @glaciers

- Throw grenades through doors by throwing them through the corners of where the doors meet. Also works with OPGL grenades. Credit: @glaciers

- Quick-Switching (Got Patched). Deal at least 15% health damage, then switch to an hvr with three point sling 3 to finish them off. This no longer works as 1-hvrs now take longer to scope in, 2-hvrs now only deal 75% health damage, instead of 85. 3-HVR damage scales on the accuracy, meaning hip fires do much less damage (Credit: @Hexerin). The scout remains unaffected by these (Credit: @heelruby)

Other: 

- Press look behind button while holding a grenade and you will be able to hold the grenade while it is dormant. 

- In a Vegas 4x4, if you reverse while holding the handbrake, then activate Nitro booster 3 and accelerate the car will pull a backflip. Credit: @Raichu

Useful Tips: 

- Osmaw Rockets go further than the 100m render distance, and explode at 142m. Credit: @glaciers

- Three point sling 3 not only improves weapon swap speed, but also weapon reequip speed after opening doors, exiting cars, etc. Credit: @NotZombieBiscuit

- Pedestrians can run you over if you get too close to them. Credit: @Uhtdred

I'm hoping to expand this list to have all the known techs in one convenient place. Comment below with any other techs you may know, or any corrections you may have. 

Edit: Updated 2022/09/27 09:30 GMT. I plan on adding videos and GIFs at a later date. 

Edited by Clumsyhunt3R
Added extra points
  • Like 13

One more tech to add to the list could be about entering vehicles. If a car is positioned in such a way that the door can be accessed but the door opening animation would not be able to play properly (i.e. not enough space), you just warp into an available seat instantly, with the driver seat being given priority.

Other than that, man, this topic is making me mildly aware that there might not be as much tech in APB as I used to think. Hope there's more nuggets of knowledge that people can share though!

2 hours ago, mtz said:

One more tech to add to the list could be about entering vehicles. If a car is positioned in such a way that the door can be accessed but the door opening animation would not be able to play properly (i.e. not enough space), you just warp into an available seat instantly, with the driver seat being given priority.

Other than that, man, this topic is making me mildly aware that there might not be as much tech in APB as I used to think. Hope there's more nuggets of knowledge that people can share though!

Thanks! That also reminds me, if you are hijacking / commandeering a car, if you cancel the animation just as the pedestrian leaves their seat, they will disappear from the car and you can get in. Not sure if this is any faster than just hijacking normally, especially since latency makes the timing weird.  

if the driver's door is blocked and you hold a or d when you get out of the car the wheels will stay pointing in that direction

I have no idea how this would be useful in missions but it looks cool on screenshots I guess

Nadehopping which allows you to cook a grenade while retaining full sprint speed by timing your jumps perfectly before the movement penalty of the fall kicks in as I've demonstrated in this video:

Most reliable way of doing this is by binding your jump to mousewheel up/down and spamming it as you're about to touch the ground or using a macro.

Useful for surprise nading someone, especially useful in DM/TDM and any other final stage where everyone sees each other through walls. Can be done infinitely if timed right, can be done forward, backward and sideways. Can be done on uneven surfaces as long as you hit the timing.

Edited by Flaws
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pop shooting? Crouching then popping back up and clicking so you only expose yourself for the shot your taking. They should really fix this, it's a really cheap tactic especially when its abused.

If you reverse in a vegas 4x4 and then press handbrake and nirtro 3 at the same time the front of your car can go up high. If you are lucky your car can stand up vertical, and if you are really lucky your car can do a double backflip. A completely useless thing but its kinda cool for a few seconds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flaws said:

Nadehopping which allows you to cook a grenade while retaining full sprint speed by timing your jumps perfectly before the movement penalty of the fall kicks in as I've demonstrated in this video:

Most reliable way of doing this is by binding your jump to mousewheel up/down and spamming it as you're about to touch the ground or using a macro.

Useful for surprise nading someone, especially useful in DM/TDM and any other final stage where everyone sees each other through walls. Can be done infinitely if timed right, can be down forward, backward and sideways. Can be done on uneven surfaces as long as you hit the timing.

Worth noting that this also works with ADS, but I don't find it nearly as useful as with grenades.

12 hours ago, Clumsyhunt3R said:

- Jump-kicking doors, almost everyone knows this. Sprint across an unopened door, jump then interact with the door to open it while remaining relatively safe.

You can also jump-kick through many gates without a doorway above them. You just need to get the timing right. I find the normal jogging movement speed to be pretty consistent at doing this. I've been letting go of sprint, then jump kicking while moving forward, and that lets me coast right through gates.

Edited by Leefekyn
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clumsyhunt3R said:

Hvrs, for some reason, only do ~25% health damage when fired from the hip most of the time (seems to require that you have flicked to the target, possibly to prevent aimbot hvrs in cqc?)

The damage of HVR-762 and HVR-236 scales based on the accuracy at the time of the shot. This was one of the many extremely clunky mechanics added to the HVRs to counter QS'ing, instead of actually fixing the root of the problem. Since the HVRs have an extremely high movement modifier, they thus lose all damage when fired from the hip.

6 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

Pop shooting? Crouching then popping back up and clicking so you only expose yourself for the shot your taking. They should really fix this, it's a really cheap tactic especially when its abused.

Will never be fixed so long as LO is terrified of adding action animations back into the game. Despite the fact that this would fix several core gameplay issues the game has, such as your mentioned pop shot tech and also the item sprint jump tech mentioned by another poster.

while climbing a ladder pressing spacebar instead of wasd makes your character jump up and back, handy for shooting enemies waiting at the top

unsure if patched or not but jumping one direction and leaning the opposite direction (e.g. jump to the right, lean to the left) with an hvr used to force perfect accuracy regardless of crosshair size 

holding look behind while cooking a grenade allows you to throw it backwards with no character animation

if you have trouble ADSing in cqc, consider binding a walk key and walking in cqc for similar accuracy but maximum fov

grenades (including opgl) can be thrown through the edges of doorframes

osmaw rockets explode at 142m

most glass railings have a small gap at the bottom that can be shot through 

resupply grenades marginally faster by firing your secondary weapon before resupplying 

turning right in a vehicle as you exit will desync your character model from the hitbox for a random amount of time, the sharper the turn the more severe the desync

bind fire weapon to mouse wheel and use carbine to farm easy rage whispers

swap to knife for faster movement

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can carry a Mikro or Vaquero in the bed of a Dolton Montane. Putting VIP or a final stage item in the Mikro/Vaquero bypasses the vehicle slowdown mechanic. You can also just get a Han Coywolf, since it's acceleration is barely affected, but that's boring.

Edited by BlatMan

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Will never be fixed so long as LO is terrified of adding action animations back into the game. Despite the fact that this would fix several core gameplay issues the game has, such as your mentioned pop shot tech and also the item sprint jump tech mentioned by another poster.

Yea really. Although shotguns can also semi-pop shot by shooting ducking into cover shooting ducking into cover etc.

I almost wonder if you could fix a lot of apb's problems by making player movement slower when shooting. Then again, that also destroys the pace of the game.

5 hours ago, Hexerin said:

The damage of HVR-762 and HVR-236 scales based on the accuracy at the time of the shot.

doesn't exist

also if u meant hvr 243 aka scout, afaik they didn't apply that mechanic to it (u can still do jumpshots and deal full damage)

they even buffed it to like 600 dmg, rendering the heavy hvr/762 basically useless unless u're at really long range

• Like 1

Not really a tech. But people don't realise how much 3ps affects. Not just equip speed between switching weapons but getting out of cars, grenades, kicking doors, etc.

Merged.

Oh, you can also hack satellites from weird angles/behind/on top sometimes instead of the usual default location that is intended.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heelruby said:

if u meant hvr 243 aka scout, afaik they didn't apply that mechanic to 

Correct

7 hours ago, heelruby said:

they even buffed it to like 600 dmg

While it was briefly buffed to 600 damage, it has since been brought down to 575.

• Thanks 1

You can reload any gun while entering from the driver seat as well if you time it correctly (watch the ammo counter top right): 

The trick is to press your car enter key (F by default) when you are slightly further away from the door and then immediately hitting your weapon reload key (R by default) so that your character starts reloading as they are walking to the door. This is very useful for saving time and getting away from situations quicker, having your gun prepared to fire as soon as you exit the car the next time.

• Thanks 1

Plant bug on Phone booths is usually not placed on the phone booth but rather on the wall behind it (this is why your character often walks a bit to the side when trying to do it from the front), this means that if the wall is thin enough you can do it through the wall from the other side, this is rather helpful cause most Phone booths are in wide, open areas that are easy to defend.

• Thanks 1

This is well known but Volcano rockets explode after traveling 100 meters so if someone's at that distance just aim directly at him and the rocket will explode on his face, killing him instantly because of the distance travel damage ramp up.

Merged.

A funny thing you can do with the flare gun is to aim at the ground and shoot it at your feet while spamming "Switch camera position" (at least that's how it works for me) so the flare will bounce like mad between you and the ground until it explodes.

Merged.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, Clumsyhunt3R said:

- Pedestrians can run you over if you get too close to them. Credit: @Uhtdred

It even works if the car has stopped.

How do I know? well...

16 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

While it was briefly buffed to 600 damage, it has since been brought down to 575.

oh really ? i knew something was off when apbdb and the latest gun balance post i found didn't match lol

still a buff from the initial 550 dmg tho

I guess I can throw my 2 cents in... There's alot of places you can shoot through in Asylum like windows and some walls. I can probably throw in examples in here later with a edit when im not feeling lazy.

one i remeber is unequping all weapons and resupplying with grenades only makes them show up in your hand act act as a useable weapon. stupid little thing

2nd is opgl can be used to shoot around cornors due to the fucking things be made of rubber. if you got enough skill it's around corners through closed door ways

there is also several spots i remember were if you drop an item it will be almost impossible to get it out effectively allowing you to win

also the top of the mall is a kill zone in waterfront

On 10/7/2022 at 6:03 AM, cowhorseman said:

<snip>

also the top of the mall is a kill zone in waterfront

That reminds me of the haunted highway in financial. Basically if you are a passenger on that highway and you lean out the window, there's a high chance that you will just die. Can't remember where it was specifically but it was a funny little bug... until it occurred mid-mission.