Sign in to follow this  
Bornstellar

Westworld

A topic about the show Westworld on HBO. Season 2 just concluded last night (6/24/18) and it was something else. I'm curious to see if anyone else in the community has seen this show.

If so, what are your thoughts on the show?

If you haven't seen Westworld, here's the premise of it:

In an unspecified time in the future, Westworld, one of six theme parks owned and operated by Delos Inc., allows guests to experience the American Old West in an environment populated by "hosts", androids programmed to fulfill the guest's every desire.

The hosts follow a predefined set of intertwining narratives but have the ability to deviate from these narratives based on interactions they have with guests.

The hosts repeat their narrative anew each day—having had their memories of the previous day erased—until they are repurposed or stowed away for use in other narratives. For guest safety, hosts are unable to harm any lifeform; this allows guests nearly unlimited freedom to engage without retribution in any activity they choose with the hosts, including no and murder. Staff situated in a control center called "The Mesa", connected to the park through vast underground facilities, oversee daily operations, develop new narratives, and perform repairs on hosts as necessary.

Consider all posts below as spoilers if you haven't seen up to the latest episode.

Edited by Bornstellar

been a fan of westworld since it first aired. the only show i got into that wasn't recommended to me at the time. majority of HBO shows i was told to watch because they where so good like GOT etc.

west world is taking the story in varying timelines but its confusing at first pieces together everything. bernards scenes mostly are all messed up. you dont know if its at the start or the end or in between until the very end when you piece together majority of what had happened. for example when bernard "Washed" ashore with no recollection of memory and meets up with that executive guy and Charlotte. but then after the last episode you finally realise ohh wait this was later on in the future compared to what we seen before. and that he had wiped part of his memories so as to no risk intervention from anyone else in discovering what was going on etc.

its like cloud atlas all over again taking place in varying timelines so split apart you dont know which happened first or last till the very end.

4 hours ago, DiBBz said:

been a fan of westworld since it first aired. the only show i got into that wasn't recommended to me at the time. majority of HBO shows i was told to watch because they where so good like GOT etc.

west world is taking the story in varying timelines but its confusing at first pieces together everything. bernards scenes mostly are all messed up. you dont know if its at the start or the end or in between until the very end when you piece together majority of what had happened. for example when bernard "Washed" ashore with no recollection of memory and meets up with that executive guy and Charlotte. but then after the last episode you finally realise ohh wait this was later on in the future compared to what we seen before. and that he had wiped part of his memories so as to no risk intervention from anyone else in discovering what was going on etc.

its like cloud atlas all over again taking place in varying timelines so split apart you dont know which happened first or last till the very end.

I figured that most of the scenes we were seeing were either in the future or the past. I just had to watch carefully because they did the same stuff during the first season. It's such a great show to dissect and I thought they wouldn't fool me or confuse me this season but they did just that and even more. I, for one, can't wait until Season 3.

The question for season 3 is...

Whose 5 data spheres did Deloras sneak out of the park and print in the real world?

1. Deloras original

2. Bernard

3. Emily (since Emily died but has obv been reprinted now in the real world),

4. Charlotte Hale's (since Deloras must've been in the room with it when bernard prints her body)

5. William (I think when Doloras collected his data sphere, she collected his "current/final state" that the park had on record...which would explain why he is still wounded and being tested in the "real world" testing chamber.

Emily was the heir to the park once William died...I think Doloras kept the death of Real Emily secret,  so that she could reprint her in RL and control the park as her imposter, similar to how she is controlling/impersonating the body of Charlotte Hale.

Edited by iodyne_

Purposely not read any replies as we are one episode from the end. I love the show though especially the music. Also if WitchQueen had a voice it would be Maeve's.

Edited by WitchQueen

Am I the only one who just didn't care for any of these characters. It was quite obvious the show was sort of rail-roading me or trying to force me to feel sympathy for the 'robots', but I just could not. The fact that they are 'robots' restricted me from feeling what the show seemed to intend and I could not rest in to a place of immersion while suspending my disbelief. Thus the show sort of fell flat with me emotionally I think that then seeped to the other aspects.

16 hours ago, iodyne_ said:

The question for season 3 is...

Whose 5 data spheres did Deloras sneak out of the park and print in the real world?

Reveal hidden contents

1. Deloras original

2. Bernard

3. Emily (since Emily died but has obv been reprinted now in the real world),

4. Charlotte Hale's (since Deloras must've been in the room with it when bernard prints her body)

5. William (I think when Doloras collected his data sphere, she collected his "current/final state" that the park had on record...which would explain why he is still wounded and being tested in the "real world" testing chamber.

Emily was the heir to the park once William died...I think Doloras kept the death of Real Emily secret,  so that she could reprint her in RL and control the park as her imposter, similar to how she is controlling/impersonating the body of Charlotte Hale.

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of before. I never thought of how Dolores might use Emily's image as the owner of the company so she can use basically unlimited wealth to do what she wants: wage wars, control governments, etc. I just thought she was using Host-Emily to test the fidelity of the immortality project. It completely went over my head that Emily is the heir to Delos.

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Am I the only one who just didn't care for any of these characters. It was quite obvious the show was sort of rail-roading me or trying to force me to feel sympathy for the 'robots', but I just could not. The fact that they are 'robots' restricted me from feeling what the show seemed to intend and I could not rest in to a place of immersion while suspending my disbelief. Thus the show sort of fell flat with me emotionally I think that then seeped to the other aspects.

I only really cared for Maeve and Hector. Their whole story line was really interesting. Once Dolores destroyed the Cradle then things got real considering they couldn't come back after they were killed unless their brain was extracted and put into a new body. I think what you were supposed to care about during the show is the amount of knowledge the hosts gained in such a short amount of time and their journey to consciousness. When you take away the characters and have the ideals left it's a really interesting show to go back and think about. But that's just me.

14 hours ago, WitchQueen said:

Purposely not read any replies as we are one episode from the end. I love the show though especially the music. Also if WitchQueen had a voice it would be Maeve's.

Hope you enjoy it! Make sure you pay attention to every little detail.

• Like 2

@notzombiebiscuit

At first I cared about Doloras before she was evil. She had some deep speeches, but then they got repetitive.

The episode towards the end that focused around the Indian guy's story was kinda touching...

The only person I was really upset about dying was Elsie, the programmer chick. She was so kewl I was mad she died.

33 minutes ago, iodyne_ said:

@notzombiebiscuit

At first I cared about Doloras before she was evil. She had some deep speeches, but then they got repetitive.

The episode towards the end that focused around the Indian guy's story was kinda touching...

The only person I was really upset about dying was Elsie, the programmer chick. She was so kewl I was mad she died.

It felt very unnecessary to kill Elsie. Maybe that's just me, though.

Well killing Elsie is was made bernard make "the choice" to bring back Dalores. He saw the extent of human nature's evil as he helplessly watched her die right in front of him.

He would not have made 'the choice' otherwise.

Sign in to follow this