Sign in to follow this  
Trivirium

Nvidia Ansel Support?

Nvidia Ansel Support Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should NVidia Ansel be added to PC APB with the unreal engine client update?

• Yes
    • No

For curiosities sake, With moving things to unreal 3.5 then to 4. Do you think they would add NVidia Ansel Support? Would you guys like to see some sort of high fidelity screenshot capture tool implemented in game? 

I for one think getting a really artsy screenshot can be difficult without post processing. Now PP is okay to a degree (ha ha) but I'd like something that actually works, and works well without alteration. 

I've used Ansel before and I find it's a pretty powerful screenshot tool for the games that have some pretty hardcore graphics. I know APB isn't good on the graphics right now but with the new engine update maybe we'll see some better AA with symbols and designing and better lighting, bloom, dynamic lights.

So who knows, I suppose the best questions to ask are, are the graphics in the newer engine going to be significantly better and even worth adding a fancy screenshot tool? Or will the game only preform better?

And if they'd even have the money to pay for third party supportive programs like that. I don't know if Ansel support is something that's paid for by the developers or if it's a free kit with game development.

I dunno the ins and the outs of how one would acquire such a program for their game but oh well, Curious as always to hear what you guys think.

Edit: For those who don't know what NVidia Ansel is, it's a high quality screen cap tool that a lot of games today are implementing. Basically allows you to take a screen shot from any position, in full 3D and HDR. So basically it's just a beastly screenshot tool that would be infinitely helpful IMO.

Edited by Trivirium
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

im lost

Realizing some people don't play anything besides this game so people will naturally have no idea what I'm talking about, I added a post edit to hopefully solve that. If not, just google it or something.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Trivirium said:

Realizing some people don't play anything besides this game so people will naturally have no idea what I'm talking about, I added a post edit to hopefully solve that. If not, just google it or something.

im still lost, what makes this different from just snapping a regular screenshot

if the difference is going to get hella technical dont bother, im a moron at heart

From what little I could find NVIDIA Ansel seems to be a Geforce exclusive feature.

I don't see any reason why LO (or any developer studio for that matter) should bother with some brand-exclusive "re-invent the wheel" feature when photo mode can just as well be done in-house and made GPU agnostic (Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son could do it after all)

1 minute ago, Nite said:

From what little I could find NVIDIA Ansel seems to be a Geforce exclusive feature.

I don't see any reason why LO (or any developer studio for that matter) should bother with some brand-exclusive "re-invent the wheel" feature when photo mode can just as well be done in-house and made GPU agnostic (Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son could do it after all)

I'm not saying it can't be done, but for those who want extreme high quality screen shots without having the devs take a massive chunk of their time to create a whole separate screenshot tool of their own. Ansel might be the quicker, easier way to go. Time is money afterall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trivirium said:

I'm not saying it can't be done, but for those who want extreme high quality screen shots without having the devs take a massive chunk of their time to create a whole separate screenshot tool of their own. Ansel might be the quicker, easier way to go. Time is money afterall.

They would still have to spend a sizable chunk of their time collabing with the Nvidia devs to make sure the integration goes smoothly, and we don't know if having Nvidia doing it vs. doing it in-house is really that much of a time saver in the first place.

Side-question: how useful would a "high fideilty photo mode" feature really be in a multiplayer game? Not like you can pause any of the action....

1 minute ago, Nite said:

They would still have to spend a sizable chunk of their time collabing with the Nvidia devs to make sure the integration goes smoothly, and we don't know if having Nvidia doing it vs. doing it in-house is really that much of a time saver in the first place.

Side-question: how useful would a "high fideilty photo mode" feature really be in a multiplayer game? Not like you can pause any of the action....

I don't know if it would be that hard or easy. Unreal is a very modular and flexible engine but again, I'm not exactly sure how the back end process of installing what is essentially a plugin of sorts.

This game is half about clothing and customization and showing off personality as much as it is about the combat and fighting.

Being able to show views, angles, overlooked locations, scenic areas or even clothing designs/sets is a pretty important thing IMO. After all, someone took their time to create these environments and areas. Can't hurt that some people would love to take super nice screenshots in game.

The freestyle tool is pretty cool as well, I've played around with that a little in Skyrim. Basically allows you to play with shader settings while you're in game in real time, I'd like a feature like that in APB, I think it'd be pretty cool. Unfortunately the tool is still in beta and has a limited catalogue of games that it works in but the feature is still very much there and I imagine with the upgrade to 3.5 LO are going to have to get into contact with a representative at NVIDIA anyway to push new drivers. 

NVidia Ansel is basically SweetFX just build into the GPU Driver, AMD has the same feature available, don't have their name for it at hand. IT allows VAST customization of shaders, The build in Variant, however, won't allow you to basically build a wallhack and such, it mostly lets you make things look better.  The performance impact is really low. since it (at least to my knowledge) cannot be abused like SweetFX and similar programs I would vote for integration of Ansel and the AMD Alternative.

As much as I would love to have ansel for creative purposes I think all the negatives that come with it gameplay wise would just not be worth it.

12 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

As much as I would love to have ansel for creative purposes I think all the negatives that come with it gameplay wise would just not be worth it.

elaborate please

10 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

elaborate please

In mission ghosting is the biggest issue that can come from it.

57 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

In mission ghosting is the biggest issue that can come from it.

oh so it like a free cam kind of thing? did not realize, and am now pretty against it tbh

3 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

oh so it like a free cam kind of thing? did not realize, and am now pretty against it tbh

No it is not. Ansel is a Visual enhancement tool. Just like SweetFX, they don't record or so. And Ansel has to be Setup for the specific game, by default it is off, entirely off, it does not apply anything unless you want it to apply a filter. So i wonder how people even get the idea that the sole support will introduce Ghosting, it won't.

Sign in to follow this