MattScott

We are banning for hacking and cheating

so far the progress with little orbit has been like a dubstep track with tons of unexpected bass drops. my heart can't take it.

thanks for everything.

• Like 1

Great work @MattScott . I'm starting to wonder if you ever sleep. You seem to be working really hard for us 😕

So as of today battlEye will not be in observationmode anymore?

• Like 1

@MattScott, my question here would be: Is FairFight running along with BattlEye, or Have you guys stopped using it?

Because BattlEye + FairFight sounds really good! BE alone is totally fine, but the more protection, the better!

I personally think battle eye should be left in observation mode for longer, lol.

5 hours ago, Letter said:

But what about scammers? People scam and trade scammed guns on Citadel almost openly, some even don't change characters and one said he got ~40 guns this way. Besides ruining trading and overall gameplay experience (why even bother with progression if one may scam anything they want?) these simply remove paying customers from the game: some people quit after being scammed.

those 10M$ guns and 750k$ mods Must  have to get banned for scamming. 

43 minutes ago, ch4ncer said:

I personally think battle eye should be left in observation mode for longer, lol.

why? do you want to apb being ruined again? is that it? leaving apb for cheaters to crowl everywhere and do nothing? 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Salvick said:

Creating a new post or commenting around forums every time you need to answer the community about our concerns is priceless Matt, thank you very much!

I wish we could have a second parameter to add in the /report function too because sometimes I just use it for people who are not cheating but just doing other stuff that might require moderation ingame.

We need something like /report [name] [reason] so the GMs would know what they are looking for when a player is getting reported.

I think this would be really good. Then we could easily report people for other non cheating things.

Ummm... this is what support is for. 

Edited by CookiePuss

10 hours ago, SilverCrow said:

Believe me!

I believe you.))

@MattScott Q. Does the ingame /report <player> command actually do anything like alerting GMs to inappropriate in-game behavior? I ask because from recent experience, I've encountered a few players who are blatantly trying to dethreat by hanging around objective areas but are not actively participating in the match. This contributes to a bad in-game experience which is prolonged when these players continue to get teamed with you over and over.

16 hours ago, MattScott said:

We will not name and shame banned players, and we will not provide numbers on how many people we have banned.

Thanks,
Matt

Can you provide a logical explanation to this. I'm still confused as to why this is called "name and shame". If you do not have any evidence and accuse someone of cheating that is "name and shame". But in this case the player is already convicted and banned for CHEATING. How is that still "name and shame"? doesn't even make any sense.

Also how are you handling other forms of abusive behavior. like excessive trolling, griefing, harassing, bullying w/e.

9 hours ago, MrChan said:

How quickly their detected is more important anyway. A guy hacking for 30 minutes, then getting a 24 hour ban from BattlEye, and then hacking for another 30 minutes, followed by a 1 week ban and so on until his ban is so long that he rerolls, is better than a guy hacking for 10 hours before being FFd and then rerolling for another 10 hours of hacking before he's FFd again.

How is that "better". it's not like he has any downtime since you can just reroll in 5 min.

20 minutes ago, ilikecake said:

Can you provide a logical explanation to this. I'm still confused as to why this is called "name and shame". If you do not have any evidence and accuse someone of cheating that is "name and shame". But in this case the player is already convicted and banned for CHEATING. How is that still "name and shame"? doesn't even make any sense.

It achieves nothing. It just makes people to bleed out their hearts and use every insult they can figure out just to try insult someone who's no longer around, at least not under that name anyway.

There is also large portion amongst cheaters who specificly go looking for notoriety and FeelsBadMan-posts they get mentioned in - that's their fap material. They shouldn't be given fap material.

When someone is banned, he/she is banned. End of story. Any public discussion about it is unnecessary and pointless if the bans are done right and with adequate proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

I've seen this topic floating around the forums, and it's time to set the record straight.
We are banning for hacking and cheating.

The goals of our cheat implementation are:

• To eliminate cheaters and hackers from the game, so that regular players can enjoy themselves
  • To avoid inaccurate bans for cheating and hacking
  • To avoid having to mass unban players ever again

This last goal is crucial. Unbanning players resets the balance of the game. I felt it was necessary based on my own research, but only because I didn't like the previous subjective banning implementation.

Here are some answers to avoid any miscommunication of our strategy:

• We only ran BattlEye in observation mode for about a week after it first launched. This was just to review data without triggering any potential unfair mass bans.
  • The bulk of "easy" cheats or AHK programs simply don't work with BattlEye. (NOTE: If you're getting kicked from APB then disable any Auto Hot Key programs. They are not allowed in APB).
  • We have three different systems that can ban a player. These are *mostly* escalating temp bans that get longer and longer the more you get flagged.

Here is the important part that makes sure we achieve all three goals I outlined above:

My CS staff gets real time reports on the temp bans. We use that initial period to review each case and determine if we want to make it a permanent ban. I can tell you right now that 100% of the bans we've reviewed were made permanent. 

I am not proud of banning. I've already spoken on this topic a lot before, so I'm not going rehash that here.

We will not name and shame banned players, and we will not provide numbers on how many people we have banned.

Thanks,
Matt

YAY~! All's we ever wanted was a FAIR game for everyone, including the exceptionally "good" players. I also don't think the playerbase needs to be involved in hacusation reports due to extreme bias and ignorance... but in-game GM's can tip off LO to what THEY as experienced players perceive as "suspicious."  We also do not need name and shame ever again, it simply creates a toxic atmosphere... but the fair and just removal of badbois, /w escalating temp bans is the best thing yet.  Sadly, there will be those who insist on perma banning themselves.

2 hours ago, PersianTiger said:

why? do you want to apb being ruined again? is that it? leaving apb for cheaters to crowl everywhere and do nothing? 

First, I am here longer than you, second, it's wise to do so in order for Battle Eye to fully understand how blatants/closets behave and act accordingly, to my understanding 1 week of observation isn't enough to provide Battle Eye all the suspicious behavior that has been observed on APB throughout the years.

The are also working on the Engine Upgrade to close off a lot of client-sided files which hack companies were taking advantage of to siphon a profit from the game while literally destroying it's fair playability for YEARS.  The era of APB as a cheat infested game have come to a CLOSE... LO is never going to be G1.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Redeemed said:

@MattScott Q. Does the ingame /report <player> command actually do anything like alerting GMs to inappropriate in-game behavior? I ask because from recent experience, I've encountered a few players who are blatantly trying to dethreat by hanging around objective areas but are not actively participating in the match. This contributes to a bad in-game experience which is prolonged when these players continue to get teamed with you over and over.

/report is and always has been for cheaters exclusively afaik

12 minutes ago, Hey! said:

The are also working on the Engine Upgrade to close off a lot of client-sided files which hack companies were taking advantage of to siphon a profit from the game while literally destroying it's fair playability for YEARS.  The era of APB as a cheat infested game have come to a CLOSE... LO is never going to be G1.

giphy.gif

sry bruv, there will always be cheaters 

Some form of user feedback would be better than nothing...

Login Screen

"A user you reported has been banned"

Done.

People get gratification that someone they thought was cheating did infact get banned, cheaters name doesnt get publicised, its win-win.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

/report is and always has been for cheaters exclusively afaik

sry bruv, there will always be cheaters 

ofc, but when the files themselves are locked, alterations in them are easier to detect... and should result in an instant temp kick. No one can eliminate cheating, but it can be massively reduced and that's something to celebrate.

1 hour ago, Excalibur! said:

Ehmm are u sure its working bcause some players are cheating the shit out of their asses right now...

I always get my shit out of my patootie completely vanilla.

Well, I do take a fiber supplement, and since it’s not mentioned explicitly in the ToS, it’s a bit of a brown area I suppose.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:

I always get my shit out of my patootie completely vanilla.

Well, I do take a fiber supplement, and since it’s not mentioned explicitly in the ToS, it’s a bit of a brown area I suppose.

I was going to follow this up with a poop joke but it was shitty.

1 minute ago, iPlumbum said:

I was going to follow this up with a poop joke but it was shitty.

please flush yourself