MattScott

We are banning for hacking and cheating

Hi everyone,

I've seen this topic floating around the forums, and it's time to set the record straight.
We are banning for hacking and cheating.

The goals of our cheat implementation are:

• To eliminate cheaters and hackers from the game, so that regular players can enjoy themselves
  • To avoid inaccurate bans for cheating and hacking
  • To avoid having to mass unban players ever again

This last goal is crucial. Unbanning players resets the balance of the game. I felt it was necessary based on my own research, but only because I didn't like the previous subjective banning implementation.

Here are some answers to avoid any miscommunication of our strategy:

• We only ran BattlEye in observation mode for about a week after it first launched. This was just to review data without triggering any potential unfair mass bans.
  • The bulk of "easy" cheats or AHK programs simply don't work with BattlEye. (NOTE: If you're getting kicked from APB then disable any Auto Hot Key programs. They are not allowed in APB).
  • We have three different systems that can ban a player. These are *mostly* escalating temp bans that get longer and longer the more you get flagged.

Here is the important part that makes sure we achieve all three goals I outlined above:

My CS staff gets real time reports on the temp bans. We use that initial period to review each case and determine if we want to make it a permanent ban. I can tell you right now that 100% of the bans we've reviewed were made permanent. 

I am not proud of banning. I've already spoken on this topic a lot before, so I'm not going rehash that here.

We will not name and shame banned players, and we will not provide numbers on how many people we have banned.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 36
  • Thanks 46

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure if BE was still in observation mode or not. Glad to see the progress though!

• Like 4

so whose going to start a "nerf orbit news updates" thread?

rof way too high

• Like 7

Thanks for the clarification.

Keep up the good work, i am proud to see LO is doing much.

Thanks.

Just now, BXNNXD said:

so whose going to start a "nerf orbit news updates" thread?

rof way too high

I don't know what you're on about. It's absolutely fine. You just need to learn how to counter it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kempington said:

I don't know what you're on about. It's absolutely fine. You just need to learn how to counter it.

i cant adapt to this

• Like 1

Hopefully all the bans going forward are supported by detection of cheat software, rather than observation of possibly cheat-like behavior.

So the bans have started? 

Damn nice... 

@MattScott

QUESTION : Can we get banned for DISALLOWED PROGRAM #0 from BE? (i started getting it last week randomly but it gone... For now).... The error doesnt even tell the user what exactly is the disallowed program... 

Pretty sure there are other people around who got DISALLOWED PROGRAM error... 

Edited by Thelnformer

Will players ever have the ability to flag players in game for the system, like /report <players_name> for FairFight?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thelnformer said:

QUESTION : Can we get banned for DISALLOWED PROGRAM #0 from BE? (i started getting it last week randomly but it gone... For now).... The error doesnt even tell the user what exactly is the disallowed program... 

Pretty sure there are other people around who got DISALLOWED PROGRAM error... 

You wont get banned for those. You do get kicked though.

We are working on making that error more understandable. BattlEye need to pass us a better explanation.

• Like 1

Just now, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Inb4 "please unban account, I wasn't cheating" threads and support tickets

lets be real they've been getting those from day 1 lmao

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Inb4 "please unban account, I wasn't cheating" threads and support tickets

pls unban man no chiit)))

Creating a new post or commenting around forums every time you need to answer the community about our concerns is priceless Matt, thank you very much!

I wish we could have a second parameter to add in the /report function too because sometimes I just use it for people who are not cheating but just doing other stuff that might require moderation ingame.

We need something like /report [name] [reason] so the GMs would know what they are looking for when a player is getting reported.

Edited by Salvick
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Salvick said:

Creating a new post or commenting around forums every time you need to answer the community about our concerns is priceless Matt, thank you very much!

I wish we could have a second parameter to add in the /report function too because sometimes I just use it for people who are not cheating but just falling under other rules violations.

We need something like /report [name] [reason] so the GMs can know what they are looking for when a player is getting reported.

pretty sure thats exactly what youre not supposed to do lol

9 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

pretty sure thats exactly what youre not supposed to do lol

Yeah I know what you mean, I just think sometimes we need a GM to monitor other players ingame and maybe do it for a while to catch them doping whatever they aren't supposed to be doing, adding the reason would be a good way to let them know what's your issue with the player you are reporting and take actions in the moment this is happening if needed. That's what I wish.

I personally don't understand the whole no naming and shaming policy you wanna run. I mean yes, it does create options for toxic sites like ffbans to be run. And I get no bigger games are publically announcing bans. But when you're a community of like 2k active players, it'd be nice to know if I'm just silver at heart (which is the case tbh), or if that rank 140something gold that smashed me the last few days in waterfront was a cheater, since I never see him around anymore... Furthermore, I don't see why we should have any respect towards those trying to ruin the game. It's funny hearing (now un-)banned cheaters crying about how people talked shit about them after they got banned... I mean, what did you expect when you try and ruin the game for everyone?

But that being said, thanks for at least keeping us updated on the status of bans. The majority of us do want a clean game, and this is steps in right direction 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rubih said:

I personally don't understand the whole no naming and shaming policy you wanna run. I mean yes, it does create options for toxic sites like ffbans to be run. And I get no bigger games are publically announcing bans. But when you're a community of like 2k active players, it'd be nice to know if I'm just silver at heart (which is the case tbh), or if that rank 140something gold that smashed me the last few days in waterfront was a cheater

don't worry about all that. unless we're playing for money, just try to have as much fun as you can. if the game is no longer providing fun, you play something else. if enough people adapt to this mentality, this creates a bigger urge for the company to do something because they're losing customers due to a certain area.

also, if you're playing against someone really good or "really good", just think of it as a boss fight. 

What about macros that are implemented in softwares such as Razer Synapse and Logitech Software? (currently possessing G703)