Snjezana

Mentor program

I witnessed a lot that new players get totally torn apart, experience griefing, insults like "noob l2p" via private messages etc. How about when a new player logs into APB, he gets like 4 or 5 veteran clans or a list of mentors listed, who help with the first steps. We won't acquire new players, when they get destroyed by senior players or insulted by teammates for being noobs. 

Thoughts?

just make a clan for it, there’s no need for a special tag to help out new players if you wish to

we had an official mentor program and it was abused even with the limited powers they were given

• Like 1

mentor programs never work, just be a nice guy basically the same thing

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

just make a clan for it, there’s no need for a special tag to help out new players if you wish to

we had an official mentor program and it was abused even with the limited powers they were given

That was before my time. Might wanna share how that worked and why it failed?

5 minutes ago, Snjezana said:

That was before my time. Might wanna share how that worked and why it failed?

short version, volunteers were given a tag and the ability to enter any district regardless of threat level so as to better help new players

they were instead used to easily stomp new players and pretend to be official staff

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

short version, volunteers were given a tag and the ability to enter any district regardless of threat level so as to better help new players

they were instead used to easily stomp new players and pretend to be official staff

APB community in a nutshell...

I think the GMs being chosen will largely fill this role. 

But I gotta say, I like the idea of the tutorial being able to tell new players which GMs are online, and how to contact them. Would be a nice way to kind of make up for what I believe is a seriously weak tutorial. 

Edited by CookiePuss

the last set of "mentors" were blatant hackers. Community Leaders seem like a good idea tho

48 minutes ago, NyanPowa said:

the last set of "mentors" were blatant hackers. Community Leaders seem like a good idea tho

pretty sure they werent cheating or they wouldnt need to go to bronze to stomp people

5 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

What I basically said before when there was a big patootie thread about bringing the SPCM back.

8 minutes ago, MoeEveryWeek said:

What I basically said before when there was a big patootie thread about bringing the SPCM back.

its really the only solution imo, aside from having actual paid employees make up the entirety of the program

5 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I think the GMs being chosen will largely fill this role. 

But I gotta say, I like the idea of the tutorial being able to tell new players which GMs are online, and how to contact them. Would be a nice way to kind of make up for what I believe is a seriously weak tutorial. 

Like in the other game from G1.... Fallen Earth 

7 hours ago, Snjezana said:

I witnessed a lot that new players get totally torn apart, experience griefing, insults like "noob l2p" via private messages etc. How about when a new player logs into APB, he gets like 4 or 5 veteran clans or a list of mentors listed, who help with the first steps. We won't acquire new players, when they get destroyed by senior players or insulted by teammates for being noobs. 

Thoughts?

Uh this is what i used to do, if some newbie gets mocked over in the dist chat i jus invite him to my group, ask him whats wrong. He used to give a reply like they all have more health, gold guns. Jus explain him there is nothing called p2w and offer him a chance to play with u as a group. Pick up a leased wep and play a couple of missions with him and win. Tell him the gold guns are jus permanent and no big deal.

Show them their areas of weakness and suggest a weapon accordingly. Some might be good in close, some in long ranges. Tell them not to pay attention to what the enemy is saying abt him. 99℅ of it is pure trash. Give them 50-60k as a gift and say "welcome to apb" & feel free to /w me anytime.

You dont need a tag to help ppl. The tag is jus to show off.

Edited by Defibrillator

It doesn't need to be fancy, it could be as simple as a new "looking for group" type thing. Veteran players who are willing to help simply just make themselves available, and only low rank/low threat players can use that list or whatever. You don't even need to play in a bronze district to be helpful to new players. The community in APB can be a big turn off for new players, so I can see this helping to keep new players around longer.

People who want help just need to ask and I am certain they will receive help from someone.

Trying to make the first step and approach new players is a pointless undertaking since your attempts of communication will be left ignored or answered with insults.

Handholding ruins this industry (as in general player base) and breeds braindead bots that want everything presented and catered towards them.

Want to learn sth.? Put in the effort! Read the forums, watch streams/vids or just ask away thats how I learned about new games when I wanted to improve.

It also helps bonding the community due to constant interactions otherwise you have a quarantined section that will go by unnoticed by everyone else.

Edited by TheJellyGoo

5 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Want to learn sth.? Put in the effort! Read the forums, watch streams/vids or just ask away thats how I learned about new games when I wanted to improve.

Yes but they need to know these things exist, or even how to use them.

I think some form of "mentor" program would be nice. Players needing to ask for help is obvious, but a lot of the time they will get flamed for asking, and if they don't ask then no one knows they need help.
It's a tricky situation but if you look at how TF2 did it that worked pretty well. 

2 minutes ago, Asparii said:

Yes but they need to know these things exist, or even how to use them.

I think some form of "mentor" program would be nice. Players needing to ask for help is obvious, but a lot of the time they will get flamed for asking, and if they don't ask then no one knows they need help.
It's a tricky situation but if you look at how TF2 did it that worked pretty well. 

Seems pretty intuitive to be aware that district chat, forums and the internet in general exist!

2 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Seems pretty intuitive to be aware that district chat, forums and the internet in general exist!

For experienced gamers, yes.
But not always for new people to APB or even in general.

I mean the website name isn't even the same as the publishing company now.
It also helps to have someone experienced showing you about, if you don't want the help don't take it. But some people like to be shown how the game works. 

Edited by Asparii

I constantly get PMs from random people asking random stuff, despite having a messed up name....  Its because i tend to be active in /d chat... 

You dont exactly need a TAG to help people, when someone asks about something in chat, just answer it... N move on... 

Having a TAG is nice but its not a necessity... 

1 hour ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Handholding ruins this industry (as in general player base) and breeds braindead bots that want everything presented and catered towards them.

what ruins the industry is the lack of proper tutorials, it is NOT the job of a palyer to trial and error basic functions of games. That was a habit that happened when lazy devs stopped making proper (digital) manuals when games when from regular boxes to the slim retail boxes and later digital distribution.

34 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

what ruins the industry is the lack of proper tutorials, it is NOT the job of a palyer to trial and error basic functions of games. That was a habit that happened when lazy devs stopped making proper (digital) manuals when games when from regular boxes to the slim retail boxes and later digital distribution.

It's not about Tutorials though.

We have ignorant fools who choose to actively ignore those tutorials and then we have those who do the tutorial and grow tired of being spoonfed every little step (which were designed for the prior mentioned people) wasting their time. I loved the old manuals... always read them in anticipation while the game was installing and I agree it's a shame that those times are over. Now we have tedious tutorials which the wrong people decide to ignore but the topic at its core isn't about a tutorial but an additional babysitting program for exactly those who chose to ignore basic tools to learn. May seem a bit radical but I feel like we would end up far worse in the future avoiding self effort.

23 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

True.  What LO desperately needs to do, and is so many long years late is REROLL THREAT SEGREGATION and restore the original balanced system.  That way, a stacked "pro" team of say... 4 guys... would get matched against 1 low silver and 8 bronzes, and the true noobs were feel quite at home as they would belong to an ARMY with a chance.

I completly agree. I played for hours today, i think there were 2 games that had no Dethreaters. I am watching new players get steamrolled as their level 255 gold sits back and does nothing.  But this is just history repeating itself.

High players refusing to group or team with new players. /abandonmission on a macro.

New players join and group with other players with a language barrier so no communication.

New players get absolutly trounced by a Gold Clan on team speak.

The Gold Clan then say GG EZ

New players leave and play COD instead.

Whats worse is, same players that have been dethreating for 3 years are still doing it and its a joke on the server.

How about  Dethreaters when caught get GOLD status for 6 months.

Or have Clan servers and servers for PUGS

Edited by Y2Venom

Both griefing and dethreating are punishable offences. 

Instead of hitting up the forums, why dont you folks hit up support?