Vace

Name purge of inactive/unmerged accounts?

Hello

I'd like to change my ingame name as but when i add as friend the name i want (just to check if it's available or not) on Citadel it says the character doesn't exist but when i try to create a new character and name with said name it said it's already used.

This is kinda frustrating honestly so i want to ask at LO Staff if they are thinking of a name purge in the future because also having lots of names unused could restrict also in new players joining while unable to find their name.

Thank you.

• Like 1

To be honest accounts that haven't yet merged probably never will. i say wipe em. the names that is.

i will not really care if they wiped names not yet merged into the new server, but wiping inactive account names wouldn't be good at all.

Everything not logged into in over a year should get name deletion.

send out an email, give it two weeks, then force a name change on every account thats been inactive for more than 365 days

9 hours ago, SelttikS said:

Everything not logged into in over a year should get name deletion.

This is definitely not the solution. What if you've simply taken a years break from playing computer games and when you finally come back, your beloved character no longer has your own name. 

2 minutes ago, Grizmo said:

This is definitely not the solution. What if you've simply taken a years break from playing computer games and when you finally come back, your beloved character no longer has your own name. 

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. 

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. 

Personally, I don't want to have to put an extra 1 or 69 at the end of my name because someone else basically stole mine.

11 minutes ago, Grizmo said:

Is it really so hard to take 2 minutes out of a whole year to login and logout to refresh your account?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deku said:

Is it really so hard to take 2 minutes out of a whole year to login and logout to refresh your account?

No, but what if you didn't have access to a computer for a year? Perhaps you might have have just forgotten that you needed to log-in half way trough the year. Maybe you decided you'd try being Amish for a year. 

On top of that, players who are currently inactive but do plan on returning will have no way of ever knowing that they'd have to log-in to keep their original name as they most likely will not be keeping up-to-date with news updates and announcements about the game.

Edited by Grizmo

Hi there,

This is something I'm contemplating, but the implementation would be very very different from what has been discussed.

We have already started more regular email communication with our players, and something like this would need to be communicated months and months in advance to give everyone enough time to react if they want. Nothing is going to happen immediately with this.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi there,

This is something I'm contemplating, but the implementation would be very very different from what has been discussed.

We have already started more regular email communication with our players, and something like this would need to be communicated months and months in advance to give everyone enough time to react if they want. Nothing is going to happen immediately with this.

Thanks,
Matt

I think a month would be long enough. Make an announcement that accounts inactive for long than 2-3 years will have their names cleared and can login within a month to keep their name. The name I want has been inactive since open beta and that's what 7 years? Tried to convince support to clear the name for me several times over the years but apparently someone who hasn't logged on in almost a decade gets to keep their name because they might log back in eventually. WoW clears inactive names after 2 years or 2 expansions same thing and there's very rarely a complaint

Edited by SuperToaster

55 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi there,

Thanks,
Matt

fix the lost email problem for steam accounts before altering our accounts

5 minutes ago, Niggs said:

fix the lost email problem for steam accounts before altering our accounts

This is absolutely a pre-requisite to any action mentioned above. It's a great example of why we need to take this slow.

• Like 1

should do the same with clan name

and maybe make a system where peolple can t create a clan alone