jayman1000

Missing textures

Suddenly textures are missing from everything when Advance Post-FX is enabled. Worked fine earlier today, but not now. (see screenshot below)

What I have tried to fix:

- choose low, medium, high, very high default settings from the drop down menu.

- verified integrity in steam (all files validated successfully).

- tried running in full screen / window

- enabling / disabling vsync

What I have not tried:

- Reinstalling the game

- Deleting configuration file (as I do not know where to find it).

Any help appreciated.

e1mwtuI.png

Why can I not find my own thread in the Bugs and Tech Issues forum? This would mean no one can see it and there no one can respond.

As can be seen from this image below, my thread is not visible.

sZOr75d.png

Hello,

I have moved to the Bugs and Tech Issues section of our Fallen Earth forums.

It was originally posted in APB's subsection, which is why you couldn't find it.

- Azukii

On 4/22/2022 at 2:33 PM, Azukii said:

Hello,

I have moved to the Bugs and Tech Issues section of our Fallen Earth forums.

It was originally posted in APB's subsection, which is why you couldn't find it.

- Azukii

Thank you! Do you have a suggestion to how to fix it?

Merged.

On 4/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, FartyBumBumGuff said:

It looks like snow

It does, at first I thought it was an event, but then I remembered it is spring.... and when I looked closer the textures are actually missing, there's nothing there.

4 minutes ago, jayman1000 said:

It does, at first I thought it was an event, but then I remembered it is spring.... and when I looked closer the textures are actually missing, there's nothing there.

I could tell it wasn't snow, I'm not familiar with the game, however I have seen other screenshots where everything was brown looking. I wonder if it could be an advantage because other players can't hide from you they will think they are camouflaged yet you could see them from a mile away. I don't know if it's a bangy shooty stabby hacky fighty bashy game or what though, am I waffling I stop now.

Okay I now tried to reinstall the game. I uninstalled it from Steam, then installed it again on a new drive. Yet the issue persist. It's like these texture that are messed up actually place someplace else than the actual games installation folder.

How does one COMPLETELY AND ENTIRELY remove all traces of the game from everywhere on my harddisks? Where could these corrupt textures be hiding on my harddisk??

okay, first when you encounter game client problems you should

exit game

relaunch from steam

checkmark the box of full file check on the fallen earth client (so that it'll recheck files similar to steam file integrity check, purge "wrong" files and patch "correct" files)

this terrain problem happened to me thursday when i log in after patching. i was kicked out from wednesday morning server restart and didn't log in wednesday so i don't know if it was caused by wednesday (if there was one) or thursday patch.

i couldn't even access a stable manager near gaia since he was under the terrain

today (friday) i redid the full file check on the fallen earth client and seem to fixed at least so i can access that particular stable manager (maybe more)

so try the full file check on the fallen earth client and repatch and see if it helps.

16 hours ago, julian_foster said:

okay, first when you encounter game client problems you should

exit game

relaunch from steam

checkmark the box of full file check on the fallen earth client (so that it'll recheck files similar to steam file integrity check, purge "wrong" files and patch "correct" files)

this terrain problem happened to me thursday when i log in after patching. i was kicked out from wednesday morning server restart and didn't log in wednesday so i don't know if it was caused by wednesday (if there was one) or thursday patch.

i couldn't even access a stable manager near gaia since he was under the terrain

today (friday) i redid the full file check on the fallen earth client and seem to fixed at least so i can access that particular stable manager (maybe more)

so try the full file check on the fallen earth client and repatch and see if it helps.

Thanks for the help. I tried all that and it didnt help (but those were good suggestions!).

Then I proceeded to uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall, installing on another harddisk drive etc etc, fiddling with graphics settings, restarting my computer uninstall, install again again. Suddenly it worked. Sadly I have no idea what the hell I exactly did to suddenly make it work again.

All I can say is: the game must be hiding some textures, or shaders or whatever, somewhere else than the actual games installation folder. And these files, whereever they may be, are NOT deleted upon uninstallation (obviously, since simply uninstalling and making sure that actual FEC folder is deleted and then installing game again did not get rid of the issue.). But maybe somehow along the way when you reinstall, fiddle with graphics settings, etc these files may get updated, deleted, overwritten or whatever is really actually happening.

I would love if the developers could inform us WHERE they store these secret texture files so that I may easily fix it by deleting them should it happen again in the future. But if that doesnt happen I may start monitoring the Frontend.exe process with Windows task managers ressource monitor in the disk section to see if I can spot access to files on the harddrive that may have something to do with textures/shaders etc.

Edited by jayman1000

i don't think little orbit is hiding textures anywhere in the folders. you can find most fallen earth files in steam\steamapps\common\fallen earth f2p\ or wherever you point to in your steam installation settings. modifying stuff there is at your own risk and maybe against the terms of service/code of conduct whatever that were mentioned in the launcher.

on thursday (maybe wednesday) the update patch possibly had some slips in the config file breaking stuff from not loading terrain related stuff, which no matter how many times you reinstall - when you patch in your client might break in some way; this was reverted/fixed with friday's patch.

right now, i think they are doing mostly daily/weekly tiny changes in patches to see what works in fixing existing problems. these patches might be just some config changes which might break some other unintended things. i believe little orbit would fix/revert them as soon as they are ready/capable as part of the process for them to learn and progress toward the remake. communication on the daily changes probably is scarce in the forum but i don't know if they mention them in their discord/twitter/other venues more frequently.

as for steam uninstallation there might be reminants of config files but that can also happen with other steam games

15 hours ago, julian_foster said:

i don't think little orbit is hiding textures anywhere in the folders. you can find most fallen earth files in steam\steamapps\common\fallen earth f2p\ or wherever you point to in your steam installation settings. modifying stuff there is at your own risk and maybe against the terms of service/code of conduct whatever that were mentioned in the launcher.

on thursday (maybe wednesday) the update patch possibly had some slips in the config file breaking stuff from not loading terrain related stuff, which no matter how many times you reinstall - when you patch in your client might break in some way; this was reverted/fixed with friday's patch.

right now, i think they are doing mostly daily/weekly tiny changes in patches to see what works in fixing existing problems. these patches might be just some config changes which might break some other unintended things. i believe little orbit would fix/revert them as soon as they are ready/capable as part of the process for them to learn and progress toward the remake. communication on the daily changes probably is scarce in the forum but i don't know if they mention them in their discord/twitter/other venues more frequently.

as for steam uninstallation there might be reminants of config files but that can also happen with other steam games

Caching of shaders other than in the game installation folder is a very common practice with games, but I have no idea if this is actually the case with Fallen Earth.

Where do you see or know from that they made a patch that fixed terrain loading stuff? I couldnt find any update posts with any details (but maybe im blind lol!).

Edited by jayman1000

on thursday when i went through the usual to log in, with the usual patching through the launcher:

upon "loading terrain" into the character selection screen it took longer than usual, as if the client was not responding.

i forced quit assuming it was stuck and retry again and it happened again stuck on the "loading terrain" message, which it moved toward the character selection screen after i waited a minute or two instead of the usual 15sec or so.

then after "loading world" into the actual game i noticed the asphalt in town was not loading, which was odd, and resulted in me being able to see under the fences and literally walked under some of them with the terrain warping.

i didn't change any config/graphic settings from the launcher so the patch probably did something to change my settings somehow as i was seeing asphalt in town when game booted me out for restart last time.

i exited game, did full file check on launcher to hopefully maybe fix the client but the issue persisted.

so i simply waited for a new patch to possibly fix/revert the change and fix this terrain issue for me, which on friday, when i did full file check again to repatch, the terrain issue was fixed.

with this problem resolving itself, the situation made my assumptions on the thursday patch probable/maybe true to some degree.

i don't follow their twitter/discord so i'm not sure if they made any announcements on patches. here in the forum the daily changes usually seem to not be announced unless related to abused issues or planned events/changes, which i assume might be either trivial to mention, or to preemptively reduce the potential abuse/exploit if there were bugs.

i don't pvp so the terrain issue was just me having a field day of bumpy rides and crawling under a shop in oasis to access the merchant on thursday. imagine open world pvp when people already accuse others in bloodsports of wall hack whatever.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, julian_foster said:

Thanks for that feedback! I didnt know they had exclusive patch posts on Twitter. I dont use Twitter, cant stand the platform really, so I guess I miss out on patch updates . (I dont understand why they would keep some of the patch updates on Twitter only?).

20 hours ago, julian_foster said:

don't pvp so the terrain issue was just me having a field day of bumpy rides and crawling under a shop in oasis to access the merchant on thursday. imagine open world pvp when people already accuse others in bloodsports of wall hack whatever.

Oh shoot, I didnt even notice this was the case, I thought it was only graphical! But they seemed to have it fixed now, and it is perhaps possible that a patch was released and downloaded for me while I was reinstalling all those times, and so that was simply what fixed it (and not anything I did lol).

Edited by jayman1000

I was also having a similar problem. It is gratifying to find several approaches to the solution.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, Hasan3434 said:

I was also having a similar problem. It is gratifying to find several approaches to the solution.

i forgot to say thanks a bunch.🤙

5 hours ago, Hasan3434 said:

i forgot to say thanks a bunch.🤙

Oh you got it solved? That's awesome if so! Im happy to have been of help!