Ritual

04/06 Maintenance Announcement

Hello, everyone!

Today (04/06), 9 AM UTC, the standard weekly maintenance will occur. It is expected to last up to 4 hours. As always, this maintenance also includes regular console maintenance.

Thank you for your patience during this period!

Regards,
Ritual

P.S: The thread has been cross-posted from Game Updates.

Can we have some actual updates? I have yet to see any QOL patches to address long plaguing problems LO has ignored

Edited by who

20 hours ago, Ritual said:

Hello, everyone!

Today (04/06), 9 AM UTC, the standard weekly maintenance will occur. It is expected to last up to 4 hours. As always, this maintenance also includes regular console maintenance.

Thank you for your patience during this period!

Regards,
Ritual

P.S: The thread has been cross-posted from Game Updates.

When are we gonna have a legitimate update? Even the engine development blog hasnt been updated since December, dude.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, NotTheEnforcer said:

Cool and theyve still done NONE  of any of that.

They never will, either.

I remember when we had decent servers(at least eu did) and didn't need 'maintenance' every week

45 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

I remember when we had decent servers(at least eu did) and didn't need 'maintenance' every week

i don't, apb's always had trash servers

On 4/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Hexerin said:

They never will, either.

thats not true. they will do it next month, quote from last month

3 hours ago, glaciers said:

i don't, apb's always had trash servers

EU had "overkill" servers which actually were decent and once they "fixed" Joker it ran better than current Jericho

3 hours ago, MonkaS said:

EU had "overkill" servers which actually were decent and once they "fixed" Joker it ran better than current Jericho

US had the overkill servers. EU never got them or they arrived late due to a motherboard supply issue. While the servers did run smoother, they crashed often due to unstable overclocks, and that was before the free character slots were given out due to all the crashing.

Seriously, they used consumer grade hardware and overclocked the CPUs: http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2013/02/optimization-magic.html

3930K overclocked to 4.25GHz. The motherboards for those CPUs are known for burned mosfets due to not being built to handle the high currents, despite the ads saying otherwise. I wonder if G1 killed any.

They don't mention the RAM, which is more important than the CPU for minimum frametimes in single threaded apps. In APB, between 1333Mhz and 2133Mhz DDR3, there is about a 15-20% difference in average framerate, 30-50% difference in minimum frametimes (time between individual frames). That's not accounting for other factors like ranks, channels, and bit size. Speaking of channels, the pic in that blog post shows them only running dual channel, but the 3930K can do quad channel. They're starving those machines of memory bandwidth.

But as G1 shown, server hardware is not optimized for single thread performance. Low CPU frequency and limited RAM speed. That's partially why the current servers run like garbage. For a while LO were using Amazon AWS, but since they switched to Path.net for DDoS protection I can't confirm if they still use them. The DDoS protection is also contributing to the performance issues. It's causing packets to arrive late and/or out of order. Many companies rely on them for DDoS protection. If any of those companies get attacked it can affect APB.

Then there's the old engine with it's awful netcode, or more like broken due to G1/LO mutilating it. It's so bad that you run faster server sided if your movement packets get throttled. Found that out when I messed up my QoS settings on my router. Maybe that's why FairFight didn't ban for speed hacks. Too many legit players on Wifi teleporting.

13 hours ago, BlatMan said:

US had the overkill servers. EU never got them or they arrived late due to a motherboard supply issue. While the servers did run smoother, they crashed often due to unstable overclocks, and that was before the free character slots were given out due to all the crashing.

Seriously, they used consumer grade hardware and overclocked the CPUs: http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2013/02/optimization-magic.html

3930K overclocked to 4.25GHz. The motherboards for those CPUs are known for burned mosfets due to not being built to handle the high currents, despite the ads saying otherwise. I wonder if G1 killed any.

They don't mention the RAM, which is more important than the CPU for minimum frametimes in single threaded apps. In APB, between 1333Mhz and 2133Mhz DDR3, there is about a 15-20% difference in average framerate, 30-50% difference in minimum frametimes (time between individual frames). That's not accounting for other factors like ranks, channels, and bit size. Speaking of channels, the pic in that blog post shows them only running dual channel, but the 3930K can do quad channel. They're starving those machines of memory bandwidth.

But as G1 shown, server hardware is not optimized for single thread performance. Low CPU frequency and limited RAM speed. That's partially why the current servers run like garbage. For a while LO were using Amazon AWS, but since they switched to Path.net for DDoS protection I can't confirm if they still use them. The DDoS protection is also contributing to the performance issues. It's causing packets to arrive late and/or out of order. Many companies rely on them for DDoS protection. If any of those companies get attacked it can affect APB.

Then there's the old engine with it's awful netcode, or more like broken due to G1/LO mutilating it. It's so bad that you run faster server sided if your movement packets get throttled. Found that out when I messed up my QoS settings on my router. Maybe that's why FairFight didn't ban for speed hacks. Too many legit players on Wifi teleporting.

Nope EU had overkill US never had overkill its why even during peak hours eu ran ok vs joker which would shit the bed with over 500 players. Also yes packet manipulation/throttling can cause you to teleport this is due to apb having a large threshold for players with crappy connections(see games like csgo with packet manipulation due to crap lag compensation you can use something called 'backtrack' which allows you to shoot and kill someone up to 300ms in the past) its not a true 'speed hack' however you if you couple it with an actual speed hack it allows one to move a lot faster and you won't actually rubber-band back as much its what goat did. I have no clue why you think apb's servers ran on consumer hardware as far as I know they always used intel xeon or amd opteron for there servers. Also your link is a dead link. 

2 hours ago, MonkaS said:

Nope EU had overkill US never had overkill its why even during peak hours eu ran ok vs joker which would shit the bed with over 500 players. Also yes packet manipulation/throttling can cause you to teleport this is due to apb having a large threshold for players with crappy connections(see games like csgo with packet manipulation due to crap lag compensation you can use something called 'backtrack' which allows you to shoot and kill someone up to 300ms in the past) its not a true 'speed hack' however you if you couple it with an actual speed hack it allows one to move a lot faster and you won't actually rubber-band back as much its what goat did. I have no clue why you think apb's servers ran on consumer hardware as far as I know they always used intel xeon or amd opteron for there servers. Also your link is a dead link. 

you're remembering wrong, the "30 days seems a bit aggressive, 60 days seems far more likely" meme was from eu overkill delays

overkill servers were shown to be consumer hardware here, and then here confirmed for us servers but not eu, and then here overkill servers were binned altogether in favor of softlayer options

Edited by glaciers
typo

5 minutes ago, glaciers said:

you're remembering wrong, the "30 days seems a bit aggressive, 60 days seems far more likely" meme was from eu overkill delays

overkill servers were shown to be consumer hardware here, and then here confirmed for us servers but not eu, and then here overkill servers were binned altogether in favor of softlayer options

Incorrect EU had overkill before US(pretty sure it broke like blat said so they sent it back to US but they def did have it before for at least a little bit cuz there servers def scaled better with pop) and they talked or asked/polled about server hardware from the community in the comment section/old forums which is now gone not sure if its on the wayback machine or some other internet archive. The choices were originally between a intel xeon cpu and an amd opteron cpu but because G1 is cheap they went with an almost 2 year old cpu.  

24 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

Incorrect EU had overkill before US(pretty sure it broke like blat said so they sent it back to US but they def did have it before for at least a little bit cuz there servers def scaled better with pop) and they talked or asked/polled about server hardware from the community in the comment section/old forums which is now gone not sure if its on the wayback machine or some other internet archive. The choices were originally between a intel xeon cpu and an amd opteron cpu but because G1 is cheap they went with an almost 2 year old cpu.  

idk what to tell you man - herehere, and here also all say no eu overkill, doesn't seem like g1 would have had so much trouble setting up eu overkill if they'd already done it before

4 minutes ago, glaciers said:

idk what to tell you man - herehere, and here also all say no eu overkill, doesn't seem like g1 would have had so much trouble setting up eu overkill if they'd already done it before

All I know is joker always preformed worse than eu so us never had the better servers and I'm not talking when joker would get hit with ddos attacks and those exploits that would crash the districts. Honestly I wish they never deleted the beta forums, the old forums, and the blogpost comment section would make it so much easier since I could actually reference these things. I mean ffs I've been playing apb since rtw so much stuff is just forgotten. 

Edited by MonkaS