Sign in to follow this  
YumiSakura

Vanilla Settings vs. ADV Launcher and Configs. Advantage?

Vanilla Settings vs. ADV Launcher and Configs:

What are the differences and why do so many people choose not to play "vanilla" Me personally I play vanilla settings pretty much, I did not shell out money on a good PC to play a game that resembles minecraft or roblox.

But according to the grape vine only silvers play with Max settings :/ yes ive heard that. sad but true. Apparently you gotta go low settings to be competitive in this game?

So are the settings that can be done with the adv launcher and these so called config's really that much of an advantage over vanilla players? And what about the weird resolutions that allegedly mess with the hitboxes?

Even people that have far better PC's than me are doing this, so i have to ask why and what's the advantage? because there defiantly is one without a doubt.

What give's someone enlighten me please because it's beginning to seem like it's a necessity to play the game looking like dog poop just to stand a chance at being competitive.

Edited by iTzHaze

lowering the gfx alleviates a lot of the constant fps stuttering that apb has, which improves aiming and tracking

playing at a lower resolution makes player models appear wider ("easier" to aim at) and visually reduces recoil

8 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

lowering the gfx alleviates a lot of the constant fps stuttering that apb has, which improves aiming and tracking

playing at a lower resolution makes player models appear wider ("easier" to aim at) and visually reduces recoil

So on that basis it could be considered an advantage over the "vanilla" player. and playing on dog poop setting's would almost seem like a necessity then?

IMHO unless you are playing on a potato, you can let "smooth framerate" to cap it at 60 FPS, which most any system with remotely recent hardware could achieve.

I run the game with uncapped FPS on max settings

core i5 2500k

16gb ddr3

nvidia gtx 680 4gb

Fairly old stuff, but get average 120+ FPS, sometimes drops to around 90, seems like it might be noticable, but not really at all. The only issue I have as far as performance is server issues, which obviously I can do nothing about.

Hit boxes are static and the same size, doesn't matter if you visually large or small, hit box is same size. I mean, easy to see if you pay attention to your crosshair, shoot under and over cover.

Can you explain "visually reduces recoil"?

Just now, iTzHaze said:

So on that basis it could be considered an advantage over the "vanilla" player. and playing on dog poop setting's would almost seem like a necessity then?

i guess?

lowering the resolution is something you can do ingame, and it will boost your frame rate consistency without using advanced launcher to further lower gfx

1 minute ago, Gunsei said:

Can you explain "visually reduces recoil"?

on a low resolution there appears to be less recoil, since the crosshairs will move less on your screen but in actuality you still have the same recoil as everyone else

im not very technical so im probably not explaining this very well

I'd rather not have to play the game below my native resolution to be honest.

Don't get me wrong FPS is not a problem, i can achieve 120fps almost consistently on max settings without a problem. apart from extreme explosions.

This thread was more about the advantage that can be gained from playing the game at considerably lower settings. and why it's become the "norm"

Advanced Launcher allows you to make the game look great with actually good fps. If you need help with setting certain things to make the game look great and run great, I can help you out with what to use, what sliders to set, etc.

On Vanilla with everything off and set to the lowest settings, at 1920x1080, I was getting 20-22 fps. Game looked like shit and ran even worse than it looked.

With Advanced Launcher using my own custom settings, a LOT of stuff are off and set to minimum whilst things such as player textures, world textures, vehicle textures, weapon textures are all maxed out, and I'm getting 100+ fps usually, never dipping below 60 fps on intense scenes.

I really didn't think the Advanced Launcher would change APB much in terms of performance without making the game look like potato, but this game is so poorly optimised i decided to try it out and it's beyond amazing. I have no idea how it manages to do it, what it turns off to make the game jump from 20 fps to 100+ fps, while looking better than Vanilla. But it does it. 

And I don't have a state of the art PC either; I'm running a GTX 670, i5-4460, 8GB RAM. So mid-range let's say. And getting 100+ fps (60+ MINIMUM) on an extremely unoptimised game while making it look great. In fact, have a look for yourself and tell me what you think:

SYgrvnO.jpg

53IxnAh.jpg

The game looks better than in the screenshots as you can imagine, since the screenshots by shadowplay get compressed and get artificial loss, which you can see by the pixelation of the /FPS window on the right side of the screen; it's obviously nowhere near that blurry / pixelated, so it looks better but still decent in the screenshots i'd say, by my standards, taking into consideration it's a 8 year-old game, from 2010/2011.

Regarding resolutions, I want my game to look good and feel good, personally I don't care about some dodgy and questionable "advantage", no resolution will give you magical skill, you either have it or you don't. That's how i see it. And at 1080p the game looks great.

BTW: Please, if someone actually knows the forum name/profile on this new forum of the guy who made it, @ him for me, so I can personally thank him. I don't know how to find peoples profiles on this new forum! Thanks 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, iTzHaze said:

I'd rather not have to play the game below my native resolution to be honest.

Don't get me wrong FPS is not a problem, i can achieve 120fps almost consistently on max settings without a problem. apart from extreme explosions.

This thread was more about the advantage that can be gained from playing the game at considerably lower settings. and why it's become the "norm"

I'm not sure it is the norm, it MAY be common among forum users, but one of the biggest draws to the game is customization, so I'm sure a LOT of people play on max settings, no point in customizing otherwise?

1 minute ago, Gunsei said:

I'm not sure it is the norm, it MAY be common among forum users, but one of the biggest draws to the game is customization, so I'm sure a LOT of people play on max settings, no point in customizing otherwise?

my understanding is though that this stuff is done mainly to the environment, not the char's and cars.

4 minutes ago, iTzHaze said:

my understanding is though that this stuff is done mainly to the environment, not the char's and cars.

People who will do anything/everything to MAYBE get some sort of edge are a certain type of player, Im not sure one would call them normal, or even average?

2 minutes ago, Gunsei said:

People who will do anything/everything to MAYBE get some sort of edge are a certain type of player, Im not sure one would call them normal, or even average?

idk if most people do it to get an edge, imo its just to get what could be considered basic/standard performance - especially from a game thats a decade old

1 minute ago, iTzHaze said:

They do it because without the advanced launcher they get really low fps. And with the advanced launcher they either can't be bothered to figure out how to configure it to get good quality textures/lighting with good fps at the same time, they don't know how, or they run APB on a PC so bad they really need to turn everything to minimal.

Advanced launcher comes with presets, and 99% of people use the presets rather than their own custom settings because a lot of settings are technical and detailed, and they probably dont wanna bother reading them. Can't blame them, i couldn't be bothered at the beginning either and used the minimal preset.

And as i wrote above; the resolution change is for for people who have a PC so crap - mixed with the fact that this game is poory optimised - that they really can't play at native resolution, Those who lower their resolution with the purpose of having some kind of "advantage", i have bad news for them; it's a gimmick. No resolution will give you an edge if you're not already highly skilled, and i'm pretty sure it's a mental placebo. Just like the people who lower their resolution in CS:GO and change their ratio to 4:3. There's those who do it for the fps gain, and those who do it because they saw some ex-pro doing it on Twitch/Youtube.

Some examples of how *edit* "some" people play:

maxresdefault.jpg

FZz_Yj.png

some extreme examples i know.

i blacked out the names because i got these from google images, where do you draw the line though?

Edited by iTzHaze

if u use advanced launcher you can make the game look plain as hell, disable muzzle flash and everything and play more buttersmooth than a vanilla person

24 minutes ago, ShadowXS said:

Advanced Launcher allows you to make the game look great with actually good fps. If you need help with setting certain things to make the game look great and run great, I can help you out with what to use, what sliders to set, etc.

On Vanilla with everything off and set to the lowest settings, at 1920x1080, I was getting 20-22 fps. Game looked like shit and ran even worse than it looked.

With Advanced Launcher using my own custom settings, a LOT of stuff are off and set to minimum whilst things such as player textures, world textures, vehicle textures, weapon textures are all maxed out, and I'm getting 100+ fps usually, never dipping below 60 fps on intense scenes.

I really didn't think the Advanced Launcher would change APB much in terms of performance without making the game look like potato, but this game is so poorly optimised i decided to try it out and it's beyond amazing. I have no idea how it manages to do it, what it turns off to make the game jump from 20 fps to 100+ fps, while looking better than Vanilla. But it does it. 

And I don't have a state of the art PC either; I'm running a GTX 670, i5-4460, 8GB RAM. So mid-range let's say. And getting 100+ fps (60+ MINIMUM) on an extremely unoptimised game while making it look great. In fact, have a look for yourself and tell me what you think:

SYgrvnO.jpg

53IxnAh.jpg

The game looks better than in the screenshots as you can imagine, since the screenshots by shadowplay get compressed and get artificial loss, which you can see by the pixelation of the /FPS window on the right side of the screen; it's obviously nowhere near that blurry / pixelated, so it looks better but still decent in the screenshots i'd say, by my standards, taking into consideration it's a 8 year-old game, from 2010/2011.

Regarding resolutions, I want my game to look good and feel good, personally I don't care about some dodgy and questionable "advantage", no resolution will give you magical skill, you either have it or you don't. That's how i see it. And at 1080p the game looks great.

BTW: Please, if someone actually knows the forum name/profile on this new forum of the guy who made it, @ him for me, so I can personally thank him. I don't know how to find peoples profiles on this new forum! Thanks 😄

It may be an 8 year old game from 2010, but to most people's surprise in 2010 the graphics and artstyle were pretty nice, but G1 mucked it up over the years.

More importantly I think you're lying about getting 20-22 fps while on vanilla low. My system is running a GTX 760 and an I5-4440 with 8 GB of RAM and I can run the game in a 70-90 fps range on vanilla maximum settings. Your GTX 670 should be better than my card. I know this because a friend of mine has a 670 and he gets better frame rate in games than I do. Also the same can be said for you cpu which should also be better than mine. We both have the same amount of ram too, so unless there's some other factor affecting it which you don't know about, I think you're lying.

1 minute ago, iTzHaze said:

*snip*

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When you're playing on a toaster you must do what you can. I remember first playing APB in 2010 on a laptop with integrated graphics, and i played it because it was free and my parents wouldn't buy me any games if i ever asked. If advanced launcher had existed back then, i might have been playing above 15 fps. And then there's those who do it for the gimmick.

Didn't you ever see that mod that was made for Witcher 3 for people who really wanted to play the game but had toasters for PC's?

Check this out;

247-0-1436479235.png

247-0-1436246395.png

247-1-1436246395.png

Don't underestimate the power of will lmao

Just now, ShadowXS said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Your missing my point, even people with GOOD pc's are doing it too. it's not all about toasters dude.

11 minutes ago, iTzHaze said:

Some examples of how *edit* "some" people play:

maxresdefault.jpg

FZz_Yj.png

some extreme examples i know.

i blacked out the names because i got these from google images, where do you draw the line though?

i mean other than an extremely stable frame rate, what exactly is the advantage youre looking for?

1 minute ago, IAmDisappointSon said:

It may be an 8 year old game from 2010, but to most people's surprise in 2010 the graphics and artstyle were pretty nice, but G1 mucked it up over the years.

More importantly I think you're lying about getting 20-22 fps while on vanilla low. My system is running a GTX 760 and an I5-4440 with 8 GB of RAM and I can run the game in a 70-90 fps range on vanilla maximum settings. Your GTX 670 should be better than my card. I know this because a friend of mine has a 670 and he gets better frame rate in games than I do. Also the same can be said for you cpu which should also be better than mine. We both have the same amount of ram too, so unless there's some other factor affecting it which you don't know about, I think you're lying.

Lmao "i think you're lying" - and what exactly do i gain from lying?

Like WTF kind of mind-set do you brainwash yourself with before typing shit like that?

"Omg you have a better PC than me and i run the game better than you, so you are lying"

No fuzzy bunny. There's people with 1080ti's who have problems with other games all the time while cards crappier than theirs, in the 600 series, play the game without any issues. Every single PC reacts to games differently. It's that simple. I never got above 22 fps driving in financial with all advanced settings off, everything on low, at 1080p.

Believe it or don't. I really could not give less of a shit of what you think.

Your missing my point, even people with GOOD pc's are doing it too. it's not all about toasters dude.

You're the one missing the point. I told you; it's people who are desperate for fps gains, even people with good PC's struggle with this game because it's UNOPTIMISED.

Do you know what means?

And those with good PC's who don't struggle with this game i also told you; it's a gimmick. 

Do you also know what that means?

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

i mean other than an extremely stable frame rate, what exactly is the advantage youre looking for?

Myself i am not looking for an advantage but rather trying to understand why people do this, which i am pretty sure has been answered now.

clearly to run it on toasters and or to gain an advantage over vanilla players. to get that edge.

Myself i am not looking for an advantage but rather trying to understand why people do this, which i am pretty sure has been answered now.

clearly to run it on toasters and or to gain an advantage over vanilla players. to get that edge.

that edge would be very very minimal to be honest, i used to run that on my laptop with sub 30 fps.... even with 100+fps its only advantage would be in dark places xD

3 minutes ago, ShadowXS said:

And those with good PC's who don't struggle with this game i also told you; it's a gimmick. 

There is clearly an advantage in doing it, if people who don't need it use it.

2 minutes ago, ShadowXS said:

Lmao "i think you're lying" - and what exactly do i gain from lying?

Like WTF kind of mind-set do you brainwash yourself with before typing shit like that?

"Omg you have a better PC than me and i run the game better than you, so you are lying"

No fuzzy bunny. There's people with 1080ti's who have problems with other games all the time while cards crappier than theirs, in the 600 series, play the game without any issues. Every single PC reacts to games differently. It's that simple. I never got above 22 fps driving in financial with all advanced settings off, everything on low, at 1080p.

Believe it or don't. I really could not give less of a shit of what you think.

You're the one missing the point. I told you; it's people who are desperate for fps gains, even people with good PC's struggle with this game because it's UNOPTIMISED.

Do you know what means?

calm the heck down, there's no need to get triggered over a reply. 

You're point about "there's people with 1080ti's who have problems with other games" is completely valid, but shouldn't apply to you. The reason why is because older games are usually not exactly optimized for newer cards. Your card is old just like mine.

I'm not in some kind of mindset you, I'm speaking from experience because I've seen what kind of performance your card gets since a friend of mine owned one, and it's faster than mine.

if you missed it I said "unless there's some other factor affecting it which you don't know about, I think you're lying" which heavily implies that I have some doubt about my claim and that I'm open to the possibility that you actually are getting shit performance on vanilla.

Enough with the condescending reply to my reply. If that's your first response to some random guy online, you need to get your shit together and attack the argument, not the person.

Also what kind of insult is "fuzzy bunny"?

Please do not derail the thread or flame each other guys, this is about whether lower setting's give an advantage. if you want to argue go get a room.

I would say that while stable system performance isnt going to make you good, poor system performance can make you suck.

So I more see the adv launcher alleviating a problem rather  than giving an advantage.  

That make sense?