Sign in to follow this  
Snjezana

Symbols?

I know, the title says nothing, but I'm new to creating symbols and I been told you can make a lot of money there. Now I have two questions.

1. I saw pretty complex symbols and people creating them with XNeat. Is that a must have to create super detailed symbols, are other tools involved or is it just a talented finger?

2. Many symbols are similar and the price varies between 500 and 25k. What are symbols you can reallistically make money from and what is too much for a symbol? 

Thanks in advance!

Third party software is definitely not required to create good symbols. I also don't know how BE would handle a third-party window manipulation software running so I'd be careful with that. Honestly, with symbol creation, practice makes perfect. No one will start off great creating symbols, you just have to keep trying from references or ideas you have.

Symbol selling is all about demand. If there is demand for a certain kind of symbol then people will charge a lot for it depending on how good it comes out. If it's a high-demand symbol or style then you can expect to make 50-100k depending on quality. On the other end of the spectrum you may not make as much if it's not a high quality piece or not in any kind of demand. I'd make some symbols in your own style and test the waters of the market by putting them up for varying prices and maybe allow bidding.

Don't be afraid to offer your services for in-game money, too. There are plenty of people out there looking for new designs for their clothing, cars or character symbols.

• Like 1

Thank you! 

From what I've seen, some symbols look so incredibly detailed, that I asked myself I you need some kind of special talent.

15 hours ago, Snjezana said:

From what I've seen, some symbols look so incredibly detailed, that I asked myself I you need some kind of special talent.

The most important thing in symbol making that sets aside more complex/detailed looking creations from simpler ones is the ability to economize when it comes to layer usage. By experimenting with new ways to use decals you can often find "simpler" ways to build the same shapes that, at first sight, might seem like they require more layers. This gives the opportunity for adding more details later in the process.

• Like 1

what I like to do is open the image I want to make in photoshop and I put a grid over the image

then I set apb to 1024x768 windowed and I also make a grid in the symbol editor

then I put photoshop next to apb's window

this way you know how far to put layers relative to the lines in the grid (I hope that makes sense)

unknown.png

• Like 3

I would stay away from 3rd party tools at this point if I were you.

Would be a shame to lose an account over symbols.

Popular (new) Memes

New logo's for movies that just came out

and pretty much anything that's popular Make the symbols sell

(games with rng based gameplay etc)

I use my smartphone when creating a symbol: 

open the Link of an Image or save it so you can zoom in and out... 

I've never used any 3rd party software except Photoshop but only afterwards, like taking a screenshot of the symbol, putting it on PS as a new layer on the original Image and reducing the opacy (I only do that for complex symbols like portraits) so you can check if its right or needs some more adjustment.

If you plan on selling your symbols you can either compare your symbols to others and use the same price or sell them for as much as you like and adjust it later (either increase when it's sold very good or reduce the price when it's not selling)

Also when you plan on doing custom symbols (requests) then you can require more money ofc since you normally only sell them to one person. 

But pls know your skill level when you choose a price.

If anything, feel free to contact me with PM if you've got some more questions.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:29 PM, SecondMoon said:

I use my smartphone when creating a symbol: 

open the Link of an Image or save it so you can zoom in and out... 

I've never used any 3rd party software except Photoshop but only afterwards, like taking a screenshot of the symbol, putting it on PS as a new layer on the original Image and reducing the opacy (I only do that for complex symbols like portraits) so you can check if its right or needs some more adjustment.

If you plan on selling your symbols you can either compare your symbols to others and use the same price or sell them for as much as you like and adjust it later (either increase when it's sold very good or reduce the price when it's not selling)

Also when you plan on doing custom symbols (requests) then you can require more money ofc since you normally only sell them to one person. 

But pls know your skill level when you choose a price.

If anything, feel free to contact me with PM if you've got some more questions.

I just sit around for about an hour and think about games i like and make the logo for it (not every symbol i make is a game i like calm down.)

I just get a google image And eyeball it try to Disassemble the shapes in my head. Playing in social has given me APB vision IRL

(i don't see a logo anymore when i walk around all i see is shapes i could make into a logo in apb)

Squares are your friend. Pixelation in this game renders any hard work ultimately lower quality then it should be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zolerox said:

I just sit around for about an hour and think about games i like and make the logo for it (not every symbol i make is a game i like calm down.)

I just get a google image And eyeball it try to Disassemble the shapes in my head. Playing in social has given me APB vision IRL

(i don't see a logo anymore when i walk around all i see is shapes i could make into a logo in apb)

Squares are your friend. Pixelation in this game renders any hard work ultimately lower quality then it should be.

That's actually amazing! I can't keep images in my head xD not even for a second sadly... (you should post some of you work in the '[Showcase] Symbol Customization' Topic maybe, would be nice to see them)

Also it's true that APB ruines at least the symbols on body and clothes, but i think on cars and as graffities they can still look pretty well 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That grid is a great idea, i just use my fingers.

Anyway, if you want to make complex symbols, you have to find ways to make more with the least amount of layers, creating symbols in apb require alot of problem solving.

25 minutes ago, scaredofsnakes said:

Just please, stop making freaky anime symbols.

One more ahegao picture and i'm gonna ahe-go-get-outta-here.

1x