Arrowtotheknee

Massive FPS drop after 10minutes of gameplay

Hello, i'll try to be as descriptive as possible and tell you what I've already tried to do.

Specs: 

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

AMD R9 390x 

Intel i7-6700k

16G Ram (2x8g 3000mhz)

Asus Z-170A

Game is installed on an samsung 850 evo with plenty of room left

The issue is when i launch apb, the game sits perfectly fine at 120 fps for the first 10 minutes. After that, the game drops to 80-90 fps and stays there. The district can be very quiet or very active, but the fps still stays around 80. I've never had this issue in the past , but now that i came back to apb, the issue exists. Changing districts or characters does not fix the issue, the only way the fps goes back to a solid 120 is when i restart the game, but then the issue comes back after about 10 minutes.

I've noticed that when i have the game on windowed mode and i click outside of the window, the fps shown by /fps jacks back up to 120fps even with a bunch of gunshots and explosions around me, but when i click back onto the window, the fps drops back to 80-90.

Heres a list of things i've tried:

I've tried formatting my computer but nothing changed

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both G1 version and steam version but nothing changed.

I've tried disabling my cpus speedstep option in bios but nothing came out of it.

I've tried running the game with high graphic settings, low graphic settings and minimal advanced launcher settings but the issue still persists.

I've tried running Radeon performance mode through radeon settings.

I've tried running windows performance mode through power plan settings.

I've looked at my Cpu speed/ temp and voltage through CPUID CPU-Z before the issue and after the issue and nothing was different.

I've look at Radeon Global Wattman before and after the issue occurs and i haven't noticed any major difference expect the GPUs mhz speed that goes from 1000mhz before to about 850-950mhz after.

I've downloaded all the latest drivers for my computer (Bios, Intel chipset, Radeon, Motherboard LAN/audio/ .NET framework/ Direct X.

I've tried running the game with a year old Radeon driver but the issue still exists.

I've Tried changing resolutions to a lower one but the issue still persists.

I've tried enabling all the extra graphic settings (bloom,low quality hud, etc) and it didn't do anything.

I've tried changing the garbagecollectionmemory/timebetweenpurge in BaseEngine.Ini

I've tried doing a bunch of other stuff but i can't really remember.

Here's what it looks like through MSI afterburner before and after the drop 

https://i.imgur.com/kQTN5C0.png

Also, every other game i've played on this system works completely fine.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Any thoughts? 

43 minutes ago, Malta12 said:

Are any of your monitors able to do 60hz or more?

You are able to get above 100 fps in this game only if you have a monitor that has a refresh rate of 122Hz or higher

• Like 1

I am able to get constant 100 fps with a 60hz

I am asking this cause its possible maybe your monitor is lowering its hz while you play the game.

Do you experience this issue with other games?

A couple things come to mind when you bring up that issue. 

Firstly, I'd open Task Manager while playing and see if anything is running causing the game to lose FPS dramatically. It's definitely possible something is clogging up your CPU usage and could affect APB due to it being a very CPU intensive game.

Secondly I'd use a different program to monitor your CPU temperatures. Not because the one you're using is unreliable but it's always good to get a different sample from multiple sources. I've had this issue before and it ended up being my CPU cooler that was failing; causing it to throttle so it didn't melt. Considering you said you formatted your PC to try and fix this issue I'd say it could definitely be a hardware failure.

Additionally, you could run your PC through some CPU tests with CineBench or other stressing software to see if it is a hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bornstellar said:

A couple things come to mind when you bring up that issue. 

Firstly, I'd open Task Manager while playing and see if anything is running causing the game to lose FPS dramatically. It's definitely possible something is clogging up your CPU usage and could affect APB due to it being a very CPU intensive game.

Secondly I'd use a different program to monitor your CPU temperatures. Not because the one you're using is unreliable but it's always good to get a different sample from multiple sources. I've had this issue before and it ended up being my CPU cooler that was failing; causing it to throttle so it didn't melt. Considering you said you formatted your PC to try and fix this issue I'd say it could definitely be a hardware failure.

Additionally, you could run your PC through some CPU tests with CineBench or other stressing software to see if it is a hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion/help. I'll run some tests with CineBench and see if theres anything that pops out and see what other cpu temp programs i can use to compare with the MSI afterburner results. Will update once i have the results.

• Like 1

UE3 with current PCs has the ugliest performance that a game can get, you just gotta lower settings to everything low and resolution as well, nothing else. just wait for engine upgrade somewhen at 2020.

I messed with all kinda settings in the past. What it comes down to is the old UE engine build. Wait for the new one and it should be fixed. No other game i have issues with, but just APB.

3 hours ago, Malta12 said:

I am able to get constant 100 fps with a 60hz

I am asking this cause its possible maybe your monitor is lowering its hz while you play the game.

Do you experience this issue with other games?

a fixed refresh rate, is a fixed refresh rate.

Any luck figuring this one out? I've had the exact same thing happen to me today after months without any issues. I've also done everything you have done and I only get this problem with APB.

My specs are

i7 7700k OC to 5ghz
GTX1080ti
32gb ram
Samsung 850 EVO 512gb ssd
Samsung 960 PRO 512gb NVME 
Asus Strix Z270E

Edited by dogfish

Unfortunately not.

I ordered a new cooler (same model) and tested it out. Issue still persists.

I noticed my motherboard (Asus Z-170A) default cpu voltage is fucked and had it .100 higher than what its normally supposed to be.
I changed it to the recommended voltage for my cpu (found the correct voltage online) and set it manually. My CPU runs much cooler now (about 8-9 degrees) but issue still persists.

Also tried to change the priority thing, one of the first things i did in matter of fact, but the problem still occurs.

At this point, i've given up and set it aside until i figure something else out in the future since im tired of dealing with it.

Please keep me posted with things you've tried, i would very much appreciate it.

Edited by Arrowtotheknee

don't worry man, just wait for the engine update which will come probably in the next 6 years or so. It's a good thing little orbit is keeping in touch with us about the engine update <:D

Yeah I have no idea what is causing this. But on the bright side I've cleaned up my pc a whole lot and now every other game runs better, but apb still drops even as low as 60-70 frames steady for me now.

Well, turned out my problem was my new Roccat mouse. When I unplugged it my fps would jump back up to constant 120 instantly, and if I plug it in again it might be ok or it might drop again. My solution is to just change usb slot and it seems to be working for a few hours then it happens again.

Tried different versions of the Roccat software
Tried without Roccat software
Updated all usb drivers

Edited by dogfish
  • Like 1

Well there it is. That was literally what was causing my fps to tank for no reason.

Its a USB port issue (at least for me).

I had a WiFi stick connected to it and that was what was causing the issue. 
Before when i played and didn't have any fps issues, i was using a Ethernet cable so i never got the experience it.
But when i finally came back to playing APB, i was using the WiFi stick in a new USB port which lead to the problem. It was just recently that i'm back to using my Ethernet cable, so i took the WiFi stick off which resolved the fps disturbance.

TLDR: If you suddenly get the same type of fps issue. Its probably one of your USB ports that is fucked. As dogfish said, unplug each device connected to your PC via USB one at a time to see whether the fps suddenly goes back to normal or not and then just change that devices USB port to another.

The fps issue could most definitely be from another source, but i would highly recommend at least trying this first since it is the easiest to verify.

Thank you all so very much for the help, wouldn't be able to play APB without you.

Maybe try to use apb advanced launcher 🙂 it could help if not than its engine trouble could be case by some guys with programs that make me angry 😉

Psssttttt. using macro decreasing fps ... just in case if u dont know that 😉

Edited by TheSxW