CombatMedic02

APB 2022 Roadmap Discussion

On 7/18/2022 at 5:26 AM, Darkzero3802 said:

*Everyone complains about APB being stale*
*RIOT introduced as a new game mode*
*Everyone shits on RIOT during the alpha test, doesn't want the game to change at all*
*RIOT cancelled due to nobody giving it a chance*
*Everyone complains about APB being stale again even tho they just had something new*

And thats what you call looking a gift horse in the mouth folks. We had a new mode that with tweaking would have kept the game going just abit longer. But here we are in 2022 with no changes, just what everybody wanted.

Just stop.

RIOT failed because it was a poor game mode, not because the playerbase wouldn't give it a chance. It was over-complicated, you spend more time walking around than actually shooting people, the spawn system could screw or bless you much more severely than it does in the regular game, and a basic Battle Royale mode without any of the codes, poison gas etc. would've been far, far better. As an example, the last game I had on it, I spent most of the match hiding behind a barrier near the end zone because both the end zone and the last zone with a canister in it were guarded by a team of 4, and the rest of my team were dead, cos we tried to play the game instead of camping. The team at the last canister didn't activate it cos they'd have had to leave their hidey hole. And it took the game a full 10-15 minutes to activate for them. All the while I'm hidden behind a barrier, hoping to eventually nip in and try and pick up the pieces when the last two teams fight each other. Next level fucking gameplay there.

Another time I spawned in a team on my own, thus having little to no chance of winning.

A competently built game mode would not have allowed either of those things to happen. RIOT did.

They could've implemented a persistent territory control map with the same effort and it would've been better.

Edited by MrChan

6 hours ago, MrChan said:

They could've implemented a persistent territory control map with the same effort and it would've been better.

Reminder that this game has the perfect foundation for clan territory (city block) control, with mission-based warfare to try and take more blocks or protect those you already have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Reminder that this game has the perfect foundation for clan territory (city block) control, with mission-based warfare to try and take more blocks or protect those you already have.

I know.

We even have two factions to fight it out.

15 hours ago, Hexerin said:

wasn't that a thing on innova?

13 hours ago, ezmegaz68 said:

wasn't that a thing on innova?

Probably. Say what you want about the Ruskies, but they actually gave a shit and developed the game.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:23 AM, Hexerin said:

Probably. Say what you want about the Ruskies, but they actually gave a shit and developed the game.

apb has always had potential but none of the companies took care of it. people dedicated to the game have a feel for how the game could be and were able to make those changes. 😞

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:50 PM, MrChan said:

I know.

We even have two factions to fight it out.

Two factions with two distinct groups in each.

Two districts split up between two of each groups.

It's a perfect setup and seems very much planned to head in the exact direction of turf wars. I'd assume the only reason nothing ever came of it were engine limitations.

RIOT did demonstrate that the map does divide into blocks on the backend and the status of one city block can be different from the surrounding ones, so you'd assume that the basics of territory control are possible. Maybe details like flipping districts from Enforcer to Crim or vice versa don't work. Or maybe they just shelved any work they ever did on it chasing the EU.

What was the other new game mode that LO tried? All I remember is that it eventually forced all players into Havalynd Park for a big gunfight before resetting the map?

2 hours ago, MrChan said:

RIOT did demonstrate that the map does divide into blocks on the backend and the status of one city block can be different from the surrounding ones, so you'd assume that the basics of territory control are possible. Maybe details like flipping districts from Enforcer to Crim or vice versa don't work. Or maybe they just shelved any work they ever did on it chasing the EU.

What was the other new game mode that LO tried? All I remember is that it eventually forced all players into Havalynd Park for a big gunfight before resetting the map?

chaos/anarchy districts were essentially district wide fight club, but the lack of any objective meant players generally ended up trading potshots across the park

i still believe if orbit had put a year into polishing that game mode instead of riot, apb would be in a much better place 

"What are you here for ?"

>boob slider

On 7/23/2022 at 5:37 AM, Revoluzzer said:

I'd assume the only reason nothing ever came of it were engine limitations

Plus, you know, RTW kinda up and died before they could finish the game.

Wow.

It's depressing to see that after 7 years of being away from APB, basically none of the improvements, changes, and content promised have been added. STILL no real anti-cheat?? LOL!

At this point, It would take less effort to just completely remake the game. But I understand that's not nearly as lucrative as continuing to dangle that carrot in front of what's left of this game's community.

I knew back in 2015 this game probably had it's best days behind it. But my god.. I was not expecting it to be this pathetic. 

1 hour ago, SippyCup said:

But I understand that's not nearly as lucrative as continuing to dangle that carrot in front of what's left of this game's community.

i think you have a very strange definition of lucrative

and wheres the fkn update he tweeted dat will give us 10 days ago?this guy is something else i swear..

7 hours ago, glaciers said:

i think you have a very strange definition of lucrative

It costs basically nothing to keep a game online in maintenance mode. Meanwhile, the new players that keep joining will spend money on ARMAS, where everything is egregiously overpriced. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how what little skeleton crew is left at G1/LO will be continuing to turn a profit on this.

6 hours ago, Hexerin said:

It costs basically nothing to keep a game online in maintenance mode. Meanwhile, the new players that keep joining will spend money on ARMAS, where everything is egregiously overpriced. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how what little skeleton crew is left at G1/LO will be continuing to turn a profit on this.

my assumption is it costs several hundred dollars a month to keep at least 10 instances up at all times

they had to sell the ip for cash years ago when the pop was much higher, i doubt things have improved since then

On 7/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, CookiePuss said:

Then why are we still here?

Being on the forums doesn't make the game alive. Your brown nosing is really disturbing.

16 hours ago, glaciers said:

my assumption is it costs several hundred dollars a month to keep at least 10 instances up at all times

they had to sell the ip for cash years ago when the pop was much higher, i doubt things have improved since then

A 1U server off ebay for $400 can run one region. Only need 2 of them. The character databases won't be cheap though, at least not if they're doing proper backups and testing restores.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:07 PM, AlienTM said:

and wheres the fkn update he tweeted dat will give us 10 days ago?this guy is something else i swear..

Looks like he has been busy slapping together an NFT game to rip off Cryptobros than develop APB. Very disappointed.