CombatMedic02

APB 2022 Roadmap Discussion

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I apologise for interacting and participating in the AP community.

No need to apologise, I was trying to word it so it didn't seem like I was having a go at you, deleted and re wrote it a few times. I don't mind at all, I was trying to read all your posts and kept getting notifications of more so I guessed that's what they meant by "exhausting".  They probably meant no offence either, just an observation from their perspective, it's not mine though, I'm enjoying the forum being alive today.

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I apologise for interacting and participating in the AP community.

see that's where you went wrong, you tried to communicate with these gremlins

• Like 1

I actually quite like this. It seems that they will implement part of the 2.2 base into a hybrid of both versions. This should definitely allow development of the current version, which should make the current game better. However, without the complete switch I do not see much improvement for things like performance, as those seems to be intrinsically related to the engine.

Overall, I will continue keeping an eye out and if there are any interesting patches I could see myself re-installing just to check them out.

Very interesting news.
I guess a year of studying the codebase made this a lot more feasible. Take it piecemeal and bring much needed fixes instead of one giant shitshow of a transition

Fingers crossed

Oh I forgot to comment it in this thread too.

I told you so.

To my non developer brain, this seems to be an effective concession that the Engine Upgrade is not achievable. Ever. At least that's been finally recognised after 7 (?) years between G1 and LO. Hypothetically the game could've been completely rebuilt from scratch twice on a new engine in the time that's passed, but by the time that was realised the resources to do something like that had long gone out of reach of G1 or LO.

I'll give them something for realising that the current approach cannot work, but given APB's history I'm inclined to expect the 1.3 code to perform like arse cos the underlying systems that have been around since year dot are a mess.

Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by MrChan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrChan said:

To my non developer brain, this seems to be an effective concession that the Engine Upgrade is not achievable. Ever. At least that's been finally recognised after 7 (?) years between G1 and LO. Hypothetically the game could've been completely rebuilt from scratch twice on a new engine in the time that's passed, but by the time that was realised the resources to do something like that had long gone out of reach.

I'll give them something for realising that the current approach cannot work, but given APB's history I'm inclined to expect the 1.3 code to perform like arse cos the underlying system that have been around since year dot are a mess.

Hope I'm wrong.

Shoulda kept up with the current engine and had just worked on APB 2 to start fresh.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Shoulda kept up with the current engine and had just worked on APB 2 to start fresh.

I'm willing to bet that by the time TechMech & Co. at G1 realised this wouldn't be a 3 - 6 month job (remember "60 days is a bit aggressive of an estimate"?), or even a 12 month job, they didn't have enough people to remake the game from scratch on a new engine.

Edited by MrChan

Congrats to Matt Scott for hes marriage

Anyway looks like we have another year a head with broken game..at least i hope we get more tests this time

Edited by AlienTM
  • Like 1

Oh, in the unlikely event that this is treated as a feedback thread:

Is there a chance in hell we can get EAC back? Even without all the features implemented it worked quite well, imo. Cleanest the game ever was.

• Like 1

I think (most of) you guys are taking a very negative stance. They have admitted that they tried to do it a certain way and it hasn't worked, which is an incredible shame but at least they can admit this. They admitted the current PB suffered as they neglected the current PB.

From what I gathered, they are going to focus on updating/fixing the current game so it is easier/more managable to move the game to the new engine. 

1 hour ago, MrChan said:

I'm willing to bet that by the time TechMech & Co. at G1 realised this wouldn't be a 3 - 6 month job (remember "60 days is a bit aggressive of an estimate"?), or even a 12 month job, they didn't have enough people to remake the game from scratch on a new engine.

They been very blind from day 1

• Like 2

let me list this off.

- fixing the main game so they can port it to the new engine

Werent we doing this?

Trying to make the APB engine work is like trying to fix audio drift in a 20 minute video, impossible. If you're not a video editor, it means that the audio starts to go out of sync after a little while because the video and audio were recorded at different frame rates. Basically one will go faster or slower than the other and eventually go out of sync.

The deeper you get into the video the worse the drift gets until eventually you are cutting the audio every couple of seconds in order to desperately line it up with the video, it just isn't going to happen.

I know Matt Scott must be super disappointed that they couldn't make the upgrade happen. It was definitely a valiant effort but you simply cannot fix things that are broken on a foundational level.

At this stage of the game, APB is so freaking old and outdated. RTW built a game that was IMPOSSIBLE back in the old days. There was no way you could do character customization and vehicle customization because no engine could pull it off. RTW successfully built the game but they built it in an era where the technology was in the middle of being built or transitioned into something else.

I don't see how APB can be saved without a sequel or complete relaunch from scratch. It was a valiant effort to try to upgrade the engine but it's just not something that was going to happen.

i want to thank your all for your discussions so far on our 2022 roadmap.

i have gone ahead and merged the various discussion threads and will pin this one so it is easier for people to spot.

for those who might have missed it, the roadmap was posted by @MattScott on our news posts: https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2022/1/29/apb-2022-roadmap

- ComFeyer

• Thanks 2

This could be a good thing. Back porting the critical new features alone to the current engine might make the next beta run overall faster.

Now can we undo the bandaid balance touches, improve gameplay rules and make the game slightly more fun again? Might as well make the game less of an uphill to New Players from now to retain some new blood before 1.3 is actually ready? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the wedding,

As for APB

What a waste.

What did I say, that it's a bit of a copout saying you can't add new stuff with the current engine, while having already added new stuff before.

Now the 4 years of neglect has left the game in an unpopulated state with the worst weapon balance in the games history, long ignored bugs exploits and performance issues cheats and jaded glorified beta testers that pretend they know what's good for the game or that they have any idea how any of APBs systems actually work.

It's too late bud. NA is unplayable and has been since the ddosing that took place during the dev of riot. EU is on its way to that point too.

The decade+ long history that is the meta of neglecting the game and the concept of fun has continued.

I was once very positive and forgiving for the new management but time and time again there have been failures and even steps backwards in making this game better. There isn't even any new content mentioned in this roadmap, just features and fixes we should've had 1, 2, 3 years ago. The game is going to remain unplayable for an entire half of the planet while even more time is spent pushing these overdue fixes,

I only wonder what the next giant lean on excuse is going to be now that the engine excuse has been finally laid to rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no matter how overhyped the engine upgrade may have been as a fix-all for apb that hype is what's kept a lot of people at least partially invested in apb

i worry many of those people will perceive this news as "the engine upgrade is cancelled" and give up for good on the game, stunting any potential future PR moves

on another note, now that "current apb" is the focus again will there be more frequent work done (QoL fixes, balance, new content/contacts, events, etc) or will the game stay in the same engine upgrade holding pattern until everything on the roadmap is completed?

12 hours ago, Uke said:

Also, what about the port to UE4. Is it still happening? Was it ever? @MattScott

These are actual quotes from the official blog.

"...we are committed to upgrading APB Reloaded to the Unreal 4 engine."
"...our 2nd team is working on Unreal 4. This will not be a short project, but it has lots of milestones along the way."

This "2nd team" has been apparently working on UE4 for over 3 years now, anything to show?

the ue4 attempt was announced as halted indefinitely years ago

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

They should make APB more like runescape. I think that would fix a lot of problems.

Welcome back,

I'd like to understand your line of thought in detail.
Please explain.

6 minutes ago, Talla said:

Welcome back,

I'd like to understand your line of thought in detail.
Please explain.

Add fishing and wood cutting.

• Like 1

realized this a bit too late i think, but good call and good luck, hope yall can get some more players

2 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

We have minecraft for that, and it has better hitreg.

5 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Here I was expecting a highly experimental, potentially revolutionnary idea.

Received highly experimental, potentially revolutionnary shitposting instead.

I'm happy with that answer.
Thanks for sharing