Sign in to follow this  
Poperon

So, Another Year is about to end, and... almost 1 month without any Engine Upgrade post?

We could get a mega "last post about Engine Upgrade of the year" before the year finally comes to an end. Last post by Matt was on December 03rd, since then everything went dark.

Waiting for some love from Matt 😄

probably more likely that work slowed down and/or nearly completely halted due to the holidays, i admire your boundless optimism tho

• Thanks 1

You'll be waiting until after new years most likely no one is even at the office right now

Edited by MonkaS
  • Like 1

What about the chuffing weather, I'm more pissed off about the chuffing weather, it's still pissing it down like it's still november but it's the end of december.

Edited by FartyBumBumGuff
too much ranting and shit
  • Like 1

just returned, to see if there are any news about that. there arent, thank you, see you next year

greetings, a player since RTW times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the progress that has been made since LO started working on the engine upgrade you should at least count in another 2+ years until we'll see the result.

Never..this company is broke and who knows how many debts this guy have tryn to keep doin hes business.Theyr not making money from their games so most likely credits was taken from banks and sht.The fact that nothing happend in 2021 tells me that.The sht thing is dat obviously the game is going nowhere but is kept been hostage now by others.Just bad luck with this owners..

Matt Scott passed away 27th of November 2020. Admins have been using his account to keep the spirit of APB alive for a little longer. No more engine updates. No more posts showing no progress over multiple months of work. RIP sweet prince.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:34 AM, Fasalina said:

Obligatory Q1 2014 post

Anyone placing bets on this year? 

I'm wondering which comes first, engine upgrade or Little Orbit being bought out by another company. They already sold the APB brand to a Chinese company. It wouldn't surprise me if LO sold all their assets to them by next year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheDogCatcher said:

I'm just waiting for them to announce that APB has been sold to Gamigo .......

If they ever sell it, it should be sold to Epic Games. Isn't the game made using Unreal Engine? Maybe Epic would give it a little extra care...

3 hours ago, Poperon said:

If they ever sell it, it should be sold to Epic Games. Isn't the game made using Unreal Engine? Maybe Epic would give it a little extra care...

Epic would never pay good money for this pile of broken trash.

It'll be sold off cheap and then left in maintenance mode to milk the last little bit of cash from the playerbase before being shut down once and for all, this is why I said Gamigo because this is exactly the sort of thing they do.

Edited by TheDogCatcher

Didn't they already sell off the IP though for some mobile version? They can really only work on this version last I checked, and I am sure they are probably limited to what they can and cannot do with it. So, I think we are well past them being able to sell it. Not to mention they missed the window for when they could have marketed and sold to Epic. The time would have been after Fortnite blew up, and Epic was tossing cashing around. Even then I would imagine Epic would have wanted APB 2, and complete rebuild of the game from the ground up.

Even with the "engine upgrade" to a still dated version of Unreal, the game will still be show how outdated the game is. It's not going to bring in much new players at this point. It will mostly bring back old players for a bit of nostalgia, and to see what they waited for so long. But then it will wear off when they realize not much has changed. Same maps, same dated look, same driving quirks, same shooting quirks, same missions, and rep grinds. Also with no real wipes, it will struggle to maintain players anyways. Just like EFT struggles to do late wipe. But this type of game with all the old P2W cannot happen in this version.

So, realistically the game really isn't worth much in its current form, or even with the "upgrade." That has been promised how long now? After all this time they realistically could have started fresh in a new version of Unreal and bought some assets to at least build a working prototype for APB 2 which would have a better chance at selling off the game. That or you know build off the assets to build up the game in a modern form. With changes to the world to match today's gaming market. While still retaining story elements, gameplay, and charm. 

Before anyone hits me with the "bUt iT's hArDeR aNd MorE eXpEnSiVe To MaKe A gAmE" this isn't early 2000 anymore, and I've seen asset flip games make better crappy games in shorter time than this "engine upgrade" not to mention some games actually have turned around to make a game better. All this "engine upgrade" really does is retain a few people who cannot move on, and accept they've been duped while the game prolongs maintenance mode. I used to have the sunk cost fallacy about APB, but I eventual woke up to realize these things. This version of the game is tainted, and it would take APB 2 completely new engine, and changes modernizing it to actually turn it around. 

TLDR; The game is worth nothing. They sold off the only chance to make a real chance of a comeback, it has been prolonged maintenance mode for years due to this and always will be. People haven't realized they have sunken cost fallacy and rose-tinted glasses. Obviously, the game isn't dead, but its thriving either. The game is tainted in its current form, and these little changes do not change how nothing besides performances, and a few balance changes aren't enough to retain old school players who have moved on with nothing new to do in the game. Just look at any modern remaster, it gets a short boost, then completely dies off. The game needs a true overhaul in modern version of Unreal, with a rebuild from scratch. As well as either APB 2 in name, or even a completely new name for a real comeback. This isn't 2010-2014 anymore. Gaming has changed and come a long way since then. 

It's a trip to read this forum every few months to see the same people, same lame arguments, and copium. It's almost cult like at times, which at the same time makes it entertaining to read. Sorry not sorry. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this