Ch1ck

Is there literally nothing to share in the "Tracking the Engine Upgrade"?

Well these are some interesting concepts but I have a few opinions about it.

50 people in one district was fine for matchmaking. The problem was that those 50 people were the entire active (not in social) server a lot of the time. I don't think increasing it past 80 would make much of a difference until we had more people. Most of the people online were high tier players so it was more like 15-20 people at any time who wouldn't wipe the floor with everybody else. 

I don't think lack of players was a result of poor matchmaking as it was a result of...lack of players. Plus, a lot of the higher tier players had special weapons that made newbies consider it P2W. I got called a wallet warrior for my VAS-Sword contact reward which is just a reskinned N-Tec.
More content would be nice, but it's not necessary for newer players to have fun.

The largest and most egregious issue is that it's impossible to avoid the players who will consistently just dominate you ruthlessly. I mean, as hard of a pill as it may be to swallow, it's partially the community's fault for not going easier on newer players, but we can't be blamed for just playing the game.

Engine update would be nice for more content but it's not going to solve the population issue.
Also, CookiePuss is 100% correct. What's the purpose of shitposting on the forum? If you don't like the game then why are you here? It's not like G1 was doing any better so you've been playing a game you dislike for what like 8 years?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Phrozen said:

If you don't like the game then why are you here? It's not like G1 was doing any better so you've been playing a game you dislike for what like 8 years?

Point to where I said I dislike the game.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, Hexerin said:

I mean, the game's quite fun (when you get decent matches).

Whoops.

Hating the company does not equate to hating the product.

6 hours ago, glaciers said:

better matchmaking requires a larger player pool to draw from, and performance has been steadily decreasing with every new bit of content added since the 2012 valentine's event 

do you have suggestions on how to increase district pop beyond 80 without the accompanying negative effects or how to increase the game's memory limit without an engine upgrade?

turns out im totally happy shoveling slop if its actual factual truth

guess he isn't going to respond  

6 hours ago, Phrozen said:

Most of the people online were high tier players so it was more like 15-20 people at any time who wouldn't wipe the floor with everybody else. 

The largest and most egregious issue is that it's impossible to avoid the players who will consistently just dominate you ruthlessly.

if only there was some way to decrease the odds of getting matched against these top tier players, some way to ensure that 15-20 players didnt account for up to half the available matchmaking opportunities

oh wait, expanding the matchmaking pool would do it

I don't think lack of players was a result of poor matchmaking as it was a result of...lack of players.

poor matchmaking contributes to players leaving which contributes to poor matchmaking which contributes to players leaving - as youve posted above, players dont enjoy getting stomped by the same people for an entire play session

sure, a larger potential pool may not help much now when the pop is so small, but how do you expect the pop to grow without fixing these issues?

More content would be nice, but it's not necessary for newer players to have fun.

Engine update would be nice for more content but it's not going to solve the population issue.

more content is definitely required for pop growth

new players are more likely to be hooked by something if theres a wider or deeper variety being offered, often just the sheer amount of content can convince someone to try a game

once new players are hooked they need content to remain engaged after theyre no longer new players

new content is needed for all the players who have played apb and quit, because who is convinced to try a game again thats exactly the same as when they left?

new content stops veterans from leaving or keeps them returning on a regular cycle

depending on the content, it can even help players escape the dreaded top tier stomping without outright quitting - getting dunked on in missions? maybe if there was 1 or 2 other game modes to jump between for a cool off period, it wouldnt be so bad

the engine upgrade on its own will absolutely not solve the pop issue, but it will cause a surge of players to return for at least a little while - its up to orbit if they can capitalize on that surge to jumpstart population growth again

Adding new matchmaking or other large systems (assuming such as possible to implement in a reasonable time) to the current build is not something I would consider wise. This thing already runs bad enough.

You would think that after half a decade of waiting, experienced individuals within the community would have realized that this is a silent waiting line. Nothing you can say or do will change anything.

The game had potential(and still have)but always shti companys runnin it..it is what it is

17 hours ago, AlienTM said:

The game had potential(and still have)but always shti companys runnin it..it is what it is

Hit the nail on the head.

• RTW decided it'd be a great idea to build their game on a broken foundation, which to nobody's surprise has led to the game still being broken to this day. As if that wasn't enough, they had the great idea of going with a buy + subscription based model, at a time when that model was literally being burned to the ground with hate by consumers (it's literally dead nowadays, the only currently successful title using it is Final Fantasy XIV). In a totally shocking twist, APB failed and RTW went bankrupt.
  • K2/G1 (later rebranded G1/RG) bought the deceased title, and overhauled the entire game's systems to bring it more in line with modern design philosophy (well, modern at the time anyways). However, it's K2, so naturally they just kept making shitty decision after shitty decision, until the game burned for a second time.
  • LO picks up the game, and then abandons it after their initial plan to make a quick buck on the BR-like mode fails miserably. Welcome to present day.
  • Like 1

Sad to say this but given the amount of progress we've seen over the last 2.5 years since LO took over it's not looking good, all they've managed to achieve during this time is to get the assets to load into the editor, they've also managed to release a failed game mode and break weapons balance.

Not exactly what I'd call a resounding success by any metric, a lot of people seem mesmerised by the fact that Matt Scott posts updates, however I say judge a man not by his words but by his actions, with this in mind LO have been an utter failure, why any of you still have faith in this company is a mystery to me.

Matt isn't keeping this game alive purely from the goodness of his heart, he's doing it because he knows if this fails he'll be off to McD's to flip burgers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheDogCatcher said:

the last 2.5 years since LO took over

is 3.5..since may 2018 and probably will take another 3.5 to be finished(the engine)

Edited by AlienTM

9 hours ago, TheDogCatcher said:

Matt isn't keeping this game alive purely from the goodness of his heart, he's doing it because he knows if this fails he'll be off to McD's to flip burgers.

Matt doesn't "need" APB. He could shut us down today and it wouldn't matter. 

APB costs money, it doesn't make it. 

I swear it's like you guys WANT him to give up. 

Edited by CookiePuss

3 hours ago, AlienTM said:

is 3.5..since may 2018 and probably will take another 3.5 to be finished(the engine)

Damn, you're right , 3.5 years with virtually nothing to show for it, that's just depressing.

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I swear it's like you guys WANT him to give up. 

At this point I really don't think it matters if he gives up or not.

For what it's worth I'd really like to see this game make a comeback considering the amount of money I've spent on it over the years, I just don't see LO making that happen.

48 minutes ago, Queen of Love said:

Horses? When?

Never since it’s not enough practical. Ppl who can aim will aim on player instead of horse... and that’s at my first attempt to imagine that.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, HNY- said:

Screenshot-219.png

Don't mind me. I'm just passing by!

A month and a half until 2022 and they havent even acheived the first fucking bullet point. I dont know why I even had hope.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Matt doesn't "need" APB

yea he can make money from rest of hes projects..oh wait almost all hes previous projects have lawsuits against him

6 minutes ago, AlienTM said:

yea he can make money from rest of hes projects..oh wait almost all hes previous projects have lawsuits against him

My point still stands. 

On 11/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, CookiePuss said:

My point still stands. 

Whether he needs the money or not it still doesn't bode well for APB because he lacks basic competence.

LO have achieved virtually nothing during their tenure of APB except for making some aspects of the game noticeably worse.

• Like 2

Honestly, i still have hope that Little Orbit can complete the job and relaunch the game.

Would love it if they showed us more than a vague message a month or finally give us that elusive ETA.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, FakeBungo said:

matt just called me says engine upgrade coming out next week im stoked

cant wait

its-happening.gif

Another 10 days, more silence.

GG

99 little bugs in the code

99 little bugs

Take one down,

patch it around

127 little bugs in the code

• Like 2