Ch1ck

Is there literally nothing to share in the "Tracking the Engine Upgrade"?

Not even a simple:

"Hey, nothing major been going on, bear with us. Thanks, bye."

Something, anything. This feels exactly like the period G1 started ghosting the community.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ch1ck said:

Not even a simple:

"Hey, nothing major been going on, bear with us. Thanks, bye."

Something, anything. This feels exactly like the period G1 started ghosting the community.

I think Matt waits til there's something to update us on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

not a good sign, as the OP was suggesting, like watching a rerun of an old cartoon... we all know what happens next

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

So, they achieved and did nothing for past month? Not anything worth sharing? A newly rendered sphere or whatever? Great.

2 hours ago, guren said:

not a good sign, as the OP was suggesting, like watching a rerun of an old cartoon... we all know what happens next

Yes, stinks on the intentional ghosting and soon-to-bail-out period. Too bad.

1 hour ago, cowhorseman said:

you people have faith like a heretic in 1512

I pop up here and there, but it's going away.

hi there,

matt has been traveling in europe since oct 11th so it's been a bit trickier to keep us all updated.

he did recently stop by the discord to share a small update, which starts here.

there is a bit of chatting after this, but the update itself is this:

image.png.8d588ba7310e5b220fb9e25dc6b01717.png

the link to the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuqzmfu7x8dlm27/2021-10-31_14-58-52.mp4?raw=1

- ComFeyer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, ComFeyer said:

Thx for that.Still gonna pass a millenium till this 2.2 is finaly released

My suggestion is after xmas-begginin of 2022-release the 2 new contacts which are ready for years now.Current players will have new content to grind for weeks/months and many old players for months will be coming back and check the content which is not a big deal itself but still is something.This kinda update/patch with the new contacts,maybe some weapon changes and the premium running so players have better progress rate and no limitations on social-can be the fresh air everybody needs and maybe to start believen in the game once again

Lets stop with this endless waiting.The engine upgrade not gonna be ready before autumn of 2022-no way they finish it before that.We talk about a year from now on-like minimum(if ever happen)For that release they can make another npcs with crap on them(they made for social already)And yea we gonna grind new contacts on game with bad performance-like we never did that before-big deal..

Edited by AlienTM

every time the tracking thread is quiet for more than two weeks the "jUsT LiKe g1" people show up

• Like 6

They'll get it to completion someday I'm sure

Will it be the 2nd coming? No.

4 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

They'll get it to completion someday I'm sure

Will it be the 2nd coming? No.

they will finish kinda like berserk sure there will be long breaks between but we will hit the end and enjoy it along the way 

It is an unenviable position for Matt, to be frank. Posting something like "Hey, nothing major has been going on, bear with us. Thanks, bye." would result in a portion of the community saying "Yeah, thanks for nothing, why do you even bother posting something like this?" 

If he actually posts something regarding their progress, a portion of the community would, rightfully or not, discuss how slowly it goes, saying "They can't even get Social up and running!" and give their rather pessimistic predictions.

On the other hand, if he chooses not to post anything, someone always makes a thread like this one. 

This is just an observation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a pretty similar experience with this in the past with another project I was helping with.

Bambola covers it pretty well, but there's another situation where the updates discussed are things that cannot be understood, or appreciated by the community, such as things that can't immediately be seen or felt ingame.

One example I remember from a Mabinogi pserver I worked on, we had a fix to an issue that caused server-wide lag when summoning pets due to a recursive function. However, you could still get personal lag when summoning pets as a result of the login server having to communicate with you. People insisted that pet lag wasn't fixed.

As for an example posted above: "We found a new way to render a sphere". This isn't something worth sharing. I know it's just a random thing the person said but it's an example of one of many things they could be doing that just isn't worth mentioning due to several reasons.

To build upon one of the things Bambola said in regards to slow updates, people may also not understand how difficult a task might be. In Fallen Earth there's an issue with PVP area NPCs not spawning for several days. From my viewpoint it's as simple as just spawning the NPCs, but if it was that simple, then it would be done by now. We don't know how messy or complicated the code is, how complicated the models are (there was a mention of hair in APB being absurdly complicated) and how poor of a state G1 left it before it was transferred over.

Finally I just want to point out that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Little Orbit has paid a hefty sum of money to gain the ability to work on these IPs. They are putting time and effort into it that we cannot comprehend. Fallen Earth was re-launched for free with no possible way of purchasing anything. They are clearly working towards converting these games into better versions of their former selves, and APB is already better than it was when G1 hosted it. They are free. You are not required to purchase anything. You are not a customer. You are not waiting for your product.

If you give positive feedback and encourage them to do their best, it will be done faster and with better quality. If you harass and berate them, I wouldn't even be surprised if they sold it to the next company who then runs it into the ground.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ComFeyer said:

hi there,

matt has been traveling in europe since oct 11th so it's been a bit trickier to keep us all updated.

he did recently stop by the discord to share a small update, which starts here.

there is a bit of chatting after this, but the update itself is this:

the link to the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuqzmfu7x8dlm27/2021-10-31_14-58-52.mp4?raw=1

- ComFeyer

Its like current APB but worse, very epic!

Several years later and still no closer to being close to a playable state.

53jrpOB3Rt-1.png

On 11/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, glaciers said:

every time the tracking thread is quiet for more than two weeks the "jUsT LiKe g1" people show up

yea let's enjoy this new company that interjects a new vocabulary word every 'engine update' post. shaders, collision, threads, hyperthreads, threshold reservoirs, bitmapping,, construct allocation, foilage AI... i could go on and on

EDIT: added the word 'post'

Merged.

Let me tell you something, if they were close Marketing would have happened. If it's this late in the year while people are wasting money on holidays, the marketing would have grabbed on. The reality is we MIGHT see it nov 2022, or nov 2023, or nov 2024... for as long as you sheep want to play this game until it becomes "engine upgrade the board game".

Edited by guren
  • Like 2

tbh just enjoy whatever is left (if there is anything) in the game and wait til it finally dies

5 hours ago, guren said:

Let me tell you something, if they were close Marketing would have happened. If it's this late in the year while people are wasting money on holidays, the marketing would have grabbed on. The reality is we MIGHT see it nov 2022, or nov 2023, or nov 2024... for as long as you sheep want to play this game until it becomes "engine upgrade the board game".

They'll start advertising like 3~6 months before they release depending on what kind of budget they can still pull together with how much money they're prob hemorrhaging 

Once every 6 months i check on APB game status so far nothing special ... btw if the company fails to deliver its promises i would be happy to try and buy the game rights and actually try to make the game great for my own personal reasons one of them ofc being that i grew up playing this game and i loved it, now that i got money it might actually be possible i think with 100-300k budget the game would be all polished and clean i feel like what this game really needs is some good marketing (Youtubers , Streamers , ADS , etc...) and a new beginning ( like deleting all users to start anew) with a new map new contacts higher ranking and possible a little story ... and some type of subscription like WoW or one time only like in CS:GO to keep cheaters at bay since a free game is always like a free real estate to them and maybe even a new ranking system. Well a lot of these thing i wrote is just something i can think of right now on the spot... 

1 hour ago, GangstaCripLOC said:

Once every 6 months i check on APB game status so far nothing special ... btw if the company fails to deliver its promises i would be happy to try and buy the game rights and actually try to make the game great for my own personal reasons one of them ofc being that i grew up playing this game and i loved it, now that i got money it might actually be possible i think with 100-300k budget the game would be all polished and clean i feel like what this game really needs is some good marketing (Youtubers , Streamers , ADS , etc...) and a new beginning ( like deleting all users to start anew) with a new map new contacts higher ranking and possible a little story ... and some type of subscription like WoW or one time only like in CS:GO to keep cheaters at bay since a free game is always like a free real estate to them and maybe even a new ranking system. Well a lot of these thing i wrote is just something i can think of right now on the spot... 

They bought G1 for roughly 1.7mil USD (converted from euros)

I don't know who you are or how much money you have so I'll just skip to the next part.

It's so much easier said than done man.
I can understand why Fallen Earth has poor retention. It's buggy, it's clunky, and it's not very action packed for new players. APB on the other hand, I didn't play as much as some people so from my understanding it just had monetization issues. Still, those are pretty much gone now and the amount of players hasn't improved.

Spending money on ads doesn't seem like a great investment for these games unless there are major changes. The people who already know about APB are going to be like "funny meme, we've heard this one before" and any potential new players will say "this isn't GTA5 no thanks".

Now, I think you have a good idea with the streamers though. Give out a ton of free (account locked!) items to these streamers and an additional small payment to advertise the game. Give them a code for 20% off their viewers' first Joker Ticket payment. All these items are free for LO to hand out and costs them nothing besides the additional payment.

Youtube creators need sponsorships more than maggots need corpses right now, and they will all jump on it. Hell, you could even just give them a percentage of any payments made using their code instead of paying them directly.
I originally started playing this game because Criken and BedBananas made videos on it. I'm nearly max level now. I wouldn't have played this genre of game if I didn't see them having so much fun (and stealing fun from other players who were ram raiding. "QUICK! GET THE FUN!").

In my eyes, APB doesn't even really need engine updates for it to be playable for all audiences. It needs better matchmaking and more population to keep the game fun. Joker tickets have fixed the monetization issues in my eyes. The devs need to update the engine to be able to more efficiently add more content, but that can be done while the server is up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phrozen said:

In my eyes, APB doesn't even really need engine updates for it to be playable for all audiences. It needs better matchmaking and more population to keep the game fun. Joker tickets have fixed the monetization issues in my eyes. The devs need to update the engine to be able to more efficiently add more content, but that can be done while the server is up.

the engine upgrade is absolutely required for better matchmaking, and there wont be any significant pop changes without more content, which again requires the engine upgrade

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glaciers said:

the engine upgrade is absolutely required for better matchmaking, and there wont be any significant pop changes without more content, which again requires the engine upgrade

Neither of those things require the engine upgrade to happen, but you keep just hoovering up all the slop LO is serving you without question if that makes you happy.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder that we are lucky to be able to play at all. No chance this game makes LO any money. I think Matt keeps it running just to be nice. 

Imagine complaining that it's not good enough.

Edited by CookiePuss

55 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Neither of those things require the engine upgrade to happen, but you keep just hoovering up all the slop LO is serving you without question if that makes you happy.

better matchmaking requires a larger player pool to draw from, and performance has been steadily decreasing with every new bit of content added since the 2012 valentine's event 

do you have suggestions on how to increase district pop beyond 80 without the accompanying negative effects or how to increase the game's memory limit without an engine upgrade?

turns out im totally happy shoveling slop if its actual factual truth