MattScott

Fallen Earth Classic

13 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

It's been far too long between updates, but as some on you may have noticed I made a post on Twitter on the 2 year anniversary of taking down the Fallen Earth servers. After that I posted again in response to a tweet.

While I should have posted that here to begin with, I am happy to confirm that "Fallen Earth Classic" is going to be a real thing. We are now at the very late stages of getting the servers back online, and as some of you on Discord have noticed, parts of the game are responding again. There will be an announcement soon on the day of launch, but before that goes out, I want to raise a couple discussion points here to set expectations properly.

1) I'm doing this in the spirit of fun and just getting the game back online.

There were decisions that had to be made in order to pull this off. As we go through the rest of my bullets, just know that in each case I had to balance getting this back online in a reasonable amount of time versus the laundry list of things I'm sure players would have wanted. We did our best. My hope is that players will enjoy the challenge of re-conquering the wastelands from scratch while they wait for the next version of the game.

2) Steam doesn't work right now

We are waiting on Valve to restore the old game. As soon as that happens, then we'll post an update here.

3) Previously, we had some major issues hosting the game.

Nothing changed here. Those issues are wide ranging. They include being forced to host on old, out of support 32-bit Linux servers, attempting to work around a horribly bloated database with item duplicates everywhere, and expensive external hosting costs. 

This time around, we worked through each of those issues as we built the plan for bringing the game back online. We successfully recompiled under 64-bit and we're using new operating systems. We also completely wiped the server. (SIDE NOTE: I sometimes refer to this as "servers", but only because the physical implementation of Fallen Earth requires more than 16 different services spread across a number of boxes). That means that you wont have any previous progression - including characters, items, or G1 purchases. I know that's a bummer. Trust me. We looked at other ways to do this, but many of them would have required a lot more work, testing, and time.

This is an experiment. We wont really know how the game is going to perform till we get a bunch of players online.

Which leads me to...

4) There will be no paid options for the game.

For various reasons, I don't want to monetize this version of the game. It is truly free-to-play (refer back to #1 above). I'm going to look at turning on the highest level subscription rewards for everyone, but there wont be any ability to purchase anything from the online store. 

With that out of the way, I look forward to seeing you guys online.

Thanks,
Matt

Man, this game really takes me back. It wasn't long but I was an intern for a couple of months in QA at Icarus Studios just before the game launched. 

Gonna have to check it out again for sure.

Oh, man, this brings back memories. I really liked this game and wanted it to succeed. Not sure where it all went south, but I'm glad it's coming back online. Will sure play it again.

This great news indeed! As a thank you, I will purchase Unsung Story on Steam to support ya Little Orbit and some APB points as well.

• Like 1

I hope we really go waaaaaaay back to Classic, with the Zipguns and all, when faction gear was extremely helping!

On 10/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

It's been far too long between updates, but as some on you may have noticed I made a post on Twitter on the 2 year anniversary of taking down the Fallen Earth servers. After that I posted again in response to a tweet.

While I should have posted that here to begin with, I am happy to confirm that "Fallen Earth Classic" is going to be a real thing. We are now at the very late stages of getting the servers back online, and as some of you on Discord have noticed, parts of the game are responding again. There will be an announcement soon on the day of launch, but before that goes out, I want to raise a couple discussion points here to set expectations properly.

1) I'm doing this in the spirit of fun and just getting the game back online.

There were decisions that had to be made in order to pull this off. As we go through the rest of my bullets, just know that in each case I had to balance getting this back online in a reasonable amount of time versus the laundry list of things I'm sure players would have wanted. We did our best. My hope is that players will enjoy the challenge of re-conquering the wastelands from scratch while they wait for the next version of the game.

2) Steam doesn't work right now

We are waiting on Valve to restore the old game. As soon as that happens, then we'll post an update here.

3) Previously, we had some major issues hosting the game.

Nothing changed here. Those issues are wide ranging. They include being forced to host on old, out of support 32-bit Linux servers, attempting to work around a horribly bloated database with item duplicates everywhere, and expensive external hosting costs. 

This time around, we worked through each of those issues as we built the plan for bringing the game back online. We successfully recompiled under 64-bit and we're using new operating systems. We also completely wiped the server. (SIDE NOTE: I sometimes refer to this as "servers", but only because the physical implementation of Fallen Earth requires more than 16 different services spread across a number of boxes). That means that you wont have any previous progression - including characters, items, or G1 purchases. I know that's a bummer. Trust me. We looked at other ways to do this, but many of them would have required a lot more work, testing, and time.

This is an experiment. We wont really know how the game is going to perform till we get a bunch of players online.

Which leads me to...

4) There will be no paid options for the game.

For various reasons, I don't want to monetize this version of the game. It is truly free-to-play (refer back to #1 above). I'm going to look at turning on the highest level subscription rewards for everyone, but there wont be any ability to purchase anything from the online store. 

With that out of the way, I look forward to seeing you guys online.

Thanks,
Matt

THANK YOU MATT, on the subject of cleaning the game in its entirety it is very necessary, you do not have to worry about it, apart from that you do not have to take the bad thing that you have inherited from another company. I keep saying about other posts, that we are with you 100% and we know that you are giving everything to make us happy. Steam is a procedure that people have to understand and not monetizing the game seems like a gigantic gift for the community, however you know that we want to help you and we would not mind paying and for the first time I offer you my time in case you It could help in the game that I still know it perfectly from so many hours that I have played it. I don't want to get too involved writing, just say again, thank you matt for making our wishes come true.

post data: I promise not to send more tickets asking if Fallen Earth returns, I'm sorry if that bothered you a bit

Merged.

It seems to me a good way to keep the community happy and expectant, it is our turn, of the community, to spread the word and make it a popular game, because the game deserves it, there is no other equal and I do not say it as fan but with absolute objectivity, a score of ten for matt yeah

Well i was just wondering, if you would be able to connect Fallen Earth to the Blockchain system, as many new games a starting to connect to it. 

In my mind I'm already back in Terence crafting Horses and little copper pellets for my zip gun. Gonna miss that super gas efficient bike I had though.

2 hours ago, Katia said:

I hope we really go waaaaaaay back to Classic, with the Zipguns and all, when faction gear was extremely helping!

Yeah, NO... when FE comes back on line, it will be as it was on the last day before it shut down.

With the exception of Zero Characters in you account, and No Cash Store (MarketPlace) to buy things. Zero items in your Previous Vaults..

His choice of words Using Classic, was well, to differentiate between the Old version (AKA Classic) and the New Version 2.0 which they are still working on

I'm glad the game is coming back, this game is still better than any other mmorpg.

40 minutes ago, KDRefugee said:

Yeah, NO... when FE comes back on line, it will be as it was on the last day before it shut down.

Erm, oook? 

Still it's a nice move, something to play around and maintain the hyped playerbase until the so called "2.0". I do believe there will be lots of people coming back, the key is to somehow maintain them. 

We've had a run of stressful (but not unmanageable) stuff going on, so this news was very welcome. 

A really great choice to keep the community engaged, and what a gift to have it come back free of charge with all the good stuff turned on. Thanks so much. 

@MattScott, is there any likelihood of more regular dev updates on FE 2.0 once Classic launches?

• Thanks 1

We are knee deep in launch prep, but I wanted to drop in and thank everyone for their amazing response to this news!

The community response is so much more than I expected. 

26 minutes ago, SolomonBull said:

@MattScott, is there any likelihood of more regular dev updates on FE 2.0 once Classic launches?

I will do my best. We are making good progress on other projects, so I'm looking forward to having more free time to interact with the community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, MattScott said:

We are knee deep in launch prep, but I wanted to drop in and thank everyone for their amazing response to this news!

The community response is so much more than I expected. 

I will do my best. We are making good progress on other projects, so I'm looking forward to having more free time to interact with the community.

You have rabid fans who have long since missed their old stomping ground. Not all of us played right up to the end, but each of us found something they loved in Fallen Earth... something missing from todays selection of games an entertainment.

I compare it to the City of Heros reemergence. Believe it or not since that lost MMO reappeared will full source as a privet server it has been as popular or more so then it was at launch and still going strong. Now that everyone knows what we lost 'when Fallen Earth was shut down' we won't be so quick to neglect it again! We want out Fallen Earth, we want to play it! ❤️

what a time to be alive

hopefully the forum pvp returns too...

• Like 2