MattScott

Fallen Earth Classic

Hi everyone,

It's been far too long between updates, but as some on you may have noticed I made a post on Twitter on the 2 year anniversary of taking down the Fallen Earth servers. After that I posted again in response to a tweet.

While I should have posted that here to begin with, I am happy to confirm that "Fallen Earth Classic" is going to be a real thing. We are now at the very late stages of getting the servers back online, and as some of you on Discord have noticed, parts of the game are responding again. There will be an announcement soon on the day of launch, but before that goes out, I want to raise a couple discussion points here to set expectations properly.

1) I'm doing this in the spirit of fun and just getting the game back online.

There were decisions that had to be made in order to pull this off. As we go through the rest of my bullets, just know that in each case I had to balance getting this back online in a reasonable amount of time versus the laundry list of things I'm sure players would have wanted. We did our best. My hope is that players will enjoy the challenge of re-conquering the wastelands from scratch while they wait for the next version of the game.

2) Steam doesn't work right now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/113420/Fallen_Earth_Classic/ is now live.

We are waiting on Valve to restore the old game. As soon as that happens, then we'll post an update here.

3) Previously, we had some major issues hosting the game.

Nothing changed here. Those issues are wide ranging. They include being forced to host on old, out of support 32-bit Linux servers, attempting to work around a horribly bloated database with item duplicates everywhere, and expensive external hosting costs. 

This time around, we worked through each of those issues as we built the plan for bringing the game back online. We successfully recompiled under 64-bit and we're using new operating systems. We also completely wiped the server. (SIDE NOTE: I sometimes refer to this as "servers", but only because the physical implementation of Fallen Earth requires more than 16 different services spread across a number of boxes). That means that you wont have any previous progression - including characters, items, or G1 purchases. I know that's a bummer. Trust me. We looked at other ways to do this, but many of them would have required a lot more work, testing, and time.

This is an experiment. We wont really know how the game is going to perform till we get a bunch of players online.

Which leads me to...

4) There will be no paid options for the game.

For various reasons, I don't want to monetize this version of the game. It is truly free-to-play (refer back to #1 above). I'm going to look at turning on the highest level subscription rewards for everyone, but there wont be any ability to purchase anything from the online store. 

With that out of the way, I look forward to seeing you guys online.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

4 hours ago, MattScott said:

4) There will be no paid options for the game.

For various reasons, I don't want to monetize this version of the game. It is truly free-to-play (refer back to #1 above). I'm going to look at turning on the highest level subscription rewards for everyone, but there wont be any ability to purchase anything from the online store.

So in regards to this...

Will there be NPCs in place for wardrobe unlock, faction t-shirts, and Respec (AP) available? And if not since subscription gives gave reward points, will they be given out each month like before so we can get faction t-shirts at least?

Edit : Also sad to see I can't snag up my badland rider and commander's crafting kit, RIP. Still gonna play.

Edited by NysekZePope
  • Thanks 1

I cannot wait for this OG awesome game to come back! I have always thought about this game more than others over the years. Cant wait to get my pink suit and that again and meet at the bar for some old school RP!

• Like 1

Oh yes !!! There IS a God in heaven !!! Fallen Earth is my favorite game of all time. I was there for Beta and now I'm coming back !!!

NORTH BURB HERE i COME !!!

Edited by DwightPfeiffer
  • Like 1

Thank you so much, I missed the heck out of this game.

I have so many friends I want to drag into here and create new stories with. ;=;

I hope all my Invicta friends out there are doing alright.

(Also, we do not eat babies.)

9 minutes ago, Kuddleminski said:

Thank you so much, I missed the heck out of this game.

I have so many friends I want to drag into here and create new stories with. ;=;

I hope all my Invicta friends out there are doing alright.

(Also, we do not eat babies.)

You keep saying that but we keep finding baby toenails in your dumpster....

You're going to slip up one of these days

Is the content gonna be just when it was or you gonna rollback to say, just Alpha County update? GORE weapons and anything that came after was really unbalanced crap that should never see the light of day.

2 minutes ago, Alvaro Early said:

Is the content gonna be just when it was or you gonna rollback to say, just Alpha County update? GORE weapons and anything that came after was really unbalanced crap that should never see the light of day.

I think Matt said at some point that they only got 1 version of the game when they bought g1

2 minutes ago, NysekZePope said:

You keep saying that but we keep finding baby toenails in your dumpster....

You're going to slip up one of these days

See, I know y'all think we eat them. We just -experiment- on them, in regards to radiation treatment therapy, nanite reconstruction of tissues in non-clones, etc!

13 minutes ago, Alvaro Early said:

Basically everything should be the same as if the server never went down the only difference is we won't have our characters or items

Well Damn!
I'll keep an eye on this

- Franklyn Harlock "One-Eye" Henerkin III , Traveler

- Invicta Forever

Edited by Henerkin