Sign in to follow this  
Darkzero3802

Optimize APB Reloaded

This has been an issue since G1 took over in which they released updates, patches, hotfixes without optimizing the game files and compressing them so they the game would run smoother and with less issues and space required. I think optimizing all the files would benefit not only the playerbase but LO and the servers as things would run smoother.

2 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

This has been an issue since G1 took over in which they released updates, patches, hotfixes without optimizing the game files and compressing them so they the game would run smoother and with less issues and space required. I think optimizing all the files would benefit not only the playerbase but LO and the servers as things would run smoother.

I'm sure optimization will come when the engine isn't so old that its practically unusable.

There's a lot of tech debt in Unreal 3.0, a lot...

Or, we could let LO complete the Engine Upgrade, which would fix the actual issues behind APB's shoddy performance, and then maybe asset fidelity could instead increase?

I for one know I'm pretty tired of looking at 256x256 resolution faces......

3 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Bro, you should TOTALLY work for LO. 

Somebody put this guy in charge!

1 minute ago, Nite said:

Or, we could let LO complete the Engine Upgrade, which would fix the actual issues behind APB's shoddy performance, and then maybe asset fidelity could instead increase?

I for one know I'm pretty tired of looking at 256x256 resolution faces......

They would still need to optimize the game files regardless so doing it now would at least increase perf for us with the old engine and make things better untill the new engine is ready.

Just now, CookiePuss said:

Bro, you should TOTALLY work for LO. 

Somebody put this guy in charge!

I sense sarcasm

5 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

They would still need to optimize the game files regardless so doing it now would at least increase perf for us with the old engine and make things better untill the new engine is ready.

I sense sarcasm

What part of the game files could they possibly optimize further without straight up removing detail from the existing game assets? You don't think the guns/cars/characters in APB are at the lowest they can go in polycount while still looking as good as they currently do? Extra compression would require more CPU resources which means lower performance.

APB doesn't run the way it does because the game assets are big and bloated, it runs the way it does because the engine code is archaic and in-efficient.

10 minutes ago, Nite said:

What part of the game files could they possibly optimize further without straight up removing detail from the existing game assets? You don't think the guns/cars/characters in APB are at the lowest they can go in polycount while still looking as good as they currently do? Extra compression would require more CPU resources which means lower performance.

APB doesn't run the way it does because the game assets are big and bloated, it runs the way it does because the engine code is archaic and in-efficient.

The fines themselves r big and bloated and can be compressed to reduce space requirements. Optimizing the game doesnt need to remove detail.

it's not a problems of file sizes ect. This game just has YEARS of old broke patootie code that is unoptimized to hell that causes everything to run horridly.

Sure it would lower file sizes but until we get the engine upgrade and LO pretty much recodes everything THEN we will see the game run better.

1 minute ago, BlakeEclipse said:

it's not a problems of file sizes ect. This game just has YEARS of old broke patootie code that is unoptimized to hell that causes everything to run horridly.

Sure it would lower file sizes but until we get the engine upgrade and LO pretty much recodes everything THEN we will see the game run better.

While yes a new engine would be a vast improvement optimizing what we currently have would at least make things more bearable. I dont think this engine upgrade is going to be out for sev months so getting what improvement we can now helps.

1 minute ago, Darkzero3802 said:

While yes a new engine would be a vast improvement optimizing what we currently have would at least make things more bearable. I dont think this engine upgrade is going to be out for sev months so getting what improvement we can now helps.

Not wrong really, but i think currently it would just be better for them to try and push the engine as fast as they can. I mean atleast from what we have heard from Matt that it's pretty much almost done but requires ALOTTTTTTT of recoding of core systems.

Also, pretty sure right now there priority is to get the servers stable and in working order now. Without it the pop would just drop like when G1 had it.

5 minutes ago, BlakeEclipse said:

Not wrong really, but i think currently it would just be better for them to try and push the engine as fast as they can. I mean atleast from what we have heard from Matt that it's pretty much almost done but requires ALOTTTTTTT of recoding of core systems.

Also, pretty sure right now there priority is to get the servers stable and in working order now. Without it the pop would just drop like when G1 had it.

Wouldnt optimizing the game stabilize things more then they are now tho? Im pretty sure it would not only help the servers run better but would allow our pcs to run the better as well.

Just now, Darkzero3802 said:

Wouldnt optimizing the game stabilize things more then they are now tho? Im pretty sure it would not only help the servers run better but would allow our pcs to run the better as well.

Ehhhh Both are two separate things.... it would only make it run a bit better on our PC's. The servers are a whole other thing, The servers would run the exact same since it's another problem.

Why redirect the manpower to poop lines of code that barely anyone understands and could figure out.

You don't optimize something by making it smaller.

If you had to sort a bunch of numbers, converting them from a double to a float isn't going to do anything to improve the runtime efficiency. You optimize by changing the algorithm or methods used.

Edited by Xnetexe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xnetexe said:

You don't optimize something by making it smaller.

If you had to sort a bunch of numbers, converting them from a double to a float isn't going to do anything to improve the runtime efficiency. You optimize by changing the algorithm or methods used.

^

didn’t compressing apb cause some performance issues in the first place?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlakeEclipse said:

Ehhhh Both are two separate things.... it would only make it run a bit better on our PC's. The servers are a whole other thing, The servers would run the exact same since it's another problem.

Why redirect the manpower to poop lines of code that barely anyone understands and could figure out.

The more they figure it out the easier a new engine would be with fewer bugs at least *shrugs*

Thanks for making this thread. I'm sure LO hadn't even thought of optimization until you posted this thread.

5 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

The more they figure it out the easier a new engine would be with fewer bugs at least *shrugs*

Well that's the idea of the engine upgrade. To make the code readable to anyone and not friggin hieroglyphic's. Since they are also redoing alot of it it will bring optimization with it.

Just now, BlakeEclipse said:

Well that's the idea of the engine upgrade. To make the code readable to anyone and not friggin hieroglyphic's. Since they are also redoing alot of it it will bring optimization with it.

That goes back to what I said earlier, regardless of now or later the game needs optimization and doing it now would at least make dealing with the server issues more bearable.

14 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

That goes back to what I said earlier, regardless of now or later the game needs optimization and doing it now would at least make dealing with the server issues more bearable.

The problem of doing it now would be useless, Since then you would have to transfer/redo the code to be put into the new engine. it would be more work for no reason. And as i said the code is unreadable hogwash right now. If they were to optimize the code now.. which they cannot, because they don't know what 1+1 is in this segment of code or what it does. and if they do they might up breaking things and making the game even more unplayable than before.

TL:DR they are doing it now and it's called then engine update. So just wait.

Edited by BlakeEclipse

25 minutes ago, hotbot said:

Thanks for making this thread. I'm sure LO hadn't even thought of optimization until you posted this thread.

Fear not bro, im pretty sure i got dis. from a tech standpoint they just gotta turn this:

image.jpg

into this:

image.jpg

once LO uncook the spaghetti it's all gonna be fine.

pffff im wasted here. im gonna go get me a job in optimising games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iTzHaze said:

Fear not bro, im pretty sure i got dis. from a tech standpoint they just gotta turn this:

into this:

once LO uncook the spaghetti it's all gonna be fine.

pffff im wasted here. im gonna go get me a job in optimising games.

Ugh, i feel like eating pasta now... one of these days i will make a good sauce for it, because without a good sauce and proper cheese pasta wont worth.

2 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

The fines themselves r big and bloated and can be compressed to reduce space requirements. Optimizing the game doesnt need to remove detail.

Compressed how? Do you know what compression is being used presently? What method are you suggesting they switch to?

1 hour ago, Darkzero3802 said:

The previous team already did the whole figuring out stage, thats why they concluded an upgrade was even needed to begin with.

1 hour ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Looks like you're just taking blind shots in the dark with this whole topic.

• Thanks 1

Right now, I'm fine with them fixing the servers while they work on the engine. However, the engine is ... like an engine. If your car drives like crap and can't accelerate as well as it used to, there's something wrong.

You can reduce the weight of everything (compression, and simplifying underlying code)

You could also try changing the tires, suspension, and fuel lines (patching, and reworking)

You can give it better aerodynamics (patching even more problems, and allowing .ini edits in some files)

but if you're using a 2 stroke 2 cylinder in your 1989 Ford F-150, it's not going to help your car any better, than getting a nice shiny V6.

Maybe after that, get a V8 so you can really smoke your competition. (And change the body into a Mustang)

1 hour ago, Sergsininia said:

Right now, I'm fine with them fixing the servers while they work on the engine. However, the engine is ... like an engine. If your car drives like crap and can't accelerate as well as it used to, there's something wrong.

You can reduce the weight of everything (compression, and simplifying underlying code)

You could also try changing the tires, suspension, and fuel lines (patching, and reworking)

You can give it better aerodynamics (patching even more problems, and allowing .ini edits in some files)

but if you're using a 2 stroke 2 cylinder in your 1989 Ford F-150, it's not going to help your car any better, than getting a nice shiny V6.

Maybe after that, get a V8 so you can really smoke your competition. (And change the body into a Mustang)

And yes in the end a new engine is required but untill that time you need to do what u can to keep the old beat up engine running well enough to last

Sign in to follow this