MrM0dZ

Swastikas and Manji

So i recently made this outfit based on Tokyo Revengers "Tokyo Manji Gang", however their uniform has a MANJI sign, i just wanted to be sure if this is allowed or not since it's clearly NOT nazi imagery or refferences.

This is the uniform

B0vaT8B.png

I only made the back writing correct for now since i don't want to waste time making that many kanjis to delete it, i want to make sure its safe first.

The writings on the ORIGINAL uniform are:

Back: 東京卍會 : Tokyo Manji Gang
Front: 天上天下  唯我独尊 I am the best in the world (Slang used for biker gangs) Also means "I am the only master above and below the heaven"
Right Arm: 暴走卍愚連隊 : Run Hard, (Manji Sign) Gang of Fools
Left Arm: Vice Captain (changes for each character)
Pants: Tokyo Manji Gang but in different Kanjis

I just want to make sure this kind of use is fair so i can make the full uniform

• Like 1

Hello MrM0dZ, 

The symbol is not directly a swastika as used by the Nazi regime, as you mentioned.

But given that it can be perceived as one we won't be allowing the use of it in this manner.

~@mayii

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amayii said:

But given that it can be perceived as one we won't be allowing the use of it in this manner.

Reminder that by doing this, you are part of the problem that continues to demonize cultures around the world that still use the swastika (and similar symbology) to this day.

I wonder if someday, the US will grow up to the point that they're mature enough to join the modern civilized world...

• Like 11

I also don't understand why there are forbidden symbols. But that's the way the world is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EVInezca said:

I also don't understand why there are forbidden symbols. But that's the way the world is.

this generation needs something to victimize themselves i guess

• Like 1

Good outfit tho, but some other pants and shoes would fit it better imo.

Edited by Nagletz

Just wear it. If someone finds it offensive it's their fault for playing. Are there even any WW2 vets alive, let alone ones that play APB?

Its Not a Nazi symbol, The tails of the cross are pointing counter clock wise. The Nazi symbol rotates Clockwise. 

I say let him have his outfit. 

• Like 1

so far no one seemed to complain in-game, i'll ask people ingame until someone dislikes it then replace the Manji for a Fan xd

6 hours ago, Nagletz said:

Good outfit tho, but some other pants and shoes would fit it better imo.

Tried all the pants and somehow the combats are the only ones that fit xd
swapped the boots tho

16 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Reminder that by doing this, you are part of the problem that continues to demonize cultures around the world that still use the swastika (and similar symbology) to this day.

I wonder if someday, the US will grow up to the point that they're mature enough to join the modern civilized world...

I totally forgot that A LOT of Jewish and others still don't like this symbol.. I wonder why? Damn the US it's always their fault. Lmfao. Best comments are these

Edited by Valkyrja-

1 hour ago, MrM0dZ said:

so far no one seemed to complain in-game, i'll ask people ingame until someone dislikes it

What are you even talking about?

You were literally just told its not allowed.

Like, you asked and they answered.

Edited by CookiePuss
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hexerin said:

*German Law. There are plenty of games that have swastikas they are just censored in Germany since its against the law there and since apb provides its service in germany it has to abide by german law. 

Edited by MonkaS

As soon as nobody uses legit swastikas and provokes ppl in chat, it is ok... I think...

Edited by Nagletz

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

What are you even talking about?

You were literally just told its not allowed.

Like, you asked and they answered.

Yeah, i changed my mind and switched the Manji for a literal FAN, ima post the change  here

@Edit: new "friendly" design

DZCd1pw.png

Edited by MrM0dZ

4 hours ago, Nagletz said:

As soon as nobody uses legit swastikas and provokes ppl in chat, it is ok... I think...

7 hours ago, MonkaS said:

*German Law. There are plenty of games that have swastikas they are just censored in Germany since its against the law there and since apb provides its service in germany it has to abide by german law. 

^^^^^^

On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, MonkaS said:

that law ceased to be in effect in 2019 as far as i know

On 9/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, MonkaS said:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, because it's not a swastika (wrong direction) and even if it was, it's no longer banned in video games...

On 9 August 2018, Germany lifted the ban on the usage of swastikas and other Nazi symbols in video games. "Through the change in the interpretation of the law, games that critically look at current affairs can for the first time be given a USK age rating," USK managing director Elisabeth Secker told CTV. "This has long been the case for films and with regards to the freedom of the arts, this is now rightly also the case with computer and videogames."

Source:

https://www.pcgamer.com/germany-lifts-ban-on-swastikas-in-videogames/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/09/germany-lifts-ban-nazi-symbols-video-games/

Case in point, @Amayii is wrong and @MrM0dZ's creativity shouldn't be censored.

Edited by EvaPooh
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Ketog said:

that law ceased to be in effect in 2019 as far as i know

4 hours ago, EvaPooh said:

Case in point, @Amayii is wrong and @MrM0dZ's creativity shouldn't be censored.

Interesting, thanks for spreading information that people in other regions would not normally hear about. Good to hear that Germany has updated their laws.

Considering the rule here was literally made because of those German laws, it should be abolished. There is no reason to stifle expression, be it creative or religious, in the modern era.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, Hexerin said:

I see where you are going but let me derail this a moment for you the crooked cross was never used by a peaceful group especially accompanied by a red background and a white background circle.

There is a huge difference between hate symbols and Hindu beliefs. 

On 9/25/2021 at 12:31 AM, Hexerin said:

germany is already part of it - i'm glad you see the shortcomings of the USA though - yet the actual swastika also isn't allowed in various scenarios here (not videogames anymore but alas - also obviously not forbidden in every context.). 🙂

i don't see a relation to not using this symbol and not being part of the modern civilized world though. because words and symbols have national history they tend to mean different things to different people and in different cultures. be it the n-word or a swastika - because us and german history is closer to the nazi history and it didn't have much of a past here before that but they do in other places.

i'm sure you're also aware of the classic example of different perceptions of the peace/victory hand sign.

i don't know anyone demonizing the chinese or japanese culture for the use of swastika-esque symbols. and i definitely have not heard of a culture of demonizing for keeping using their symbols.

are the chinese or japanese more civilized than us-americans? maybe - but not because they use these symbols.

Merged.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:24 PM, MrM0dZ said:

Yeah, i changed my mind and switched the Manji for a literal FAN, ima post the change  here

@Edit: new "friendly" design

DZCd1pw.png

that's more creative tbf 😉

oh, auto post merging got disabled. outrageous.

Edited by neophobia

@MrM0dZ Thank you for updating your design! The new version with the fan is totally fine. Thank you for being understanding.

For everyone else discussing the various laws set by other countries, thank you for providing some extra context. These things are always interesting to read and think about. That said, I think it is important to recognize that there is a difference between what is permitted by law and what helps create the kind of community we want for APB. For the second, I encourage you all to follow the guidelines given by our Mods and the TOS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Sakebee said:

what helps create the kind of community we want for APB

A community that is exclusionary to a wide range of beautiful cultures and religious/spiritual beliefs that have existed for centuries, apparently.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, Sakebee said:

These things are always interesting to read and think about.

Read and think about.

Find intellectually stimulating.

Digest the topic entirely.

Then stubbornly sit on a bureaucratic bottom and do nothing.