Sign in to follow this  
R3ACT3M

Smooth fps: On or off?

As far as I can tell, smooth fps just locks your FPS at 61. something

Do you think it's better to have a "stable" 60fps on a 120hz monitor or should I let the FPS bounce around?

if you have a 120hz monitor you should be aiming for 120fps, why else did you buy the fuckin thing?

also you'll still be getting frame drops and stutters regardless, i would much prefer to go from 120fps to 100fps than from 60fps to 40fps

Edited by glaciers
typo

If you have adaptive sync, then I would suggest you leave the FPS bounce around. Playing above 60 fps is such a major upgrade and I wouldn't recommend playing a game like APB, especially with such a huge skill curve unless you're playing over 80-100 fps at least.

1 hour ago, Boba said:

If you have adaptive sync, then I would suggest you leave the FPS bounce around. Playing above 60 fps is such a major upgrade and I wouldn't recommend playing a game like APB, especially with such a huge skill curve unless you're playing over 80-100 fps at least.

So my situation atm is my "144hz" monitor set to 120hz (it has problems and since I can't hit 144hz in most things I just set it lower and it helped alleviate said problems) The monitor is supposed to have AMD freesync but I have my doubts on whether it's working or not. 

The situation im in at the moment is I have my laptop setup in a desktop manner (gaming laptop: gtx 1060 6gb + i7 7700hq) I already turned down most graphics settings without turning the game into wet clay but trying to maintain at least 80fps is impossible as fps will drop to about 60. So for (another word for fecal matter) and giggles, I set "smooth FPS + double buffer". Now, I am aware that having either of these settings enabled in pvp shooters is generally not the way to go. I would like to keep testing more, but I don't think I noticed any degrade in "skill" since turning these on.

I was curious if something like RivaTuner is allowed for locking FPS (I'm kind of paranoid about my APB account and don't want to risk it)

My whole thoughts on why im even trying this in the first place is I feel like it's easier to be more consistent with a stable frames vs getting the occasional 90fps then hard dipping to 50.

For competitive gameplay, I would limit your fps to 121. This will prevent the character sliding bug.

When APB drops to 50fps, it's not a smooth 50. It's more like 50 frames, freeze, 50, freeze, etc. It also happens when the garbage collection kicks in. Limiting your fps won't fix that.

MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, and many other branded software is built on Rivatuner. You won't get banned using it. It's used by a lot of content creators to add overlays in games.

10 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I was curious if something like RivaTuner is allowed

the first time we had battleye msi afterburner prevented apb from launching, but no bans were issued

no idea if its allowed this time around, but its incredibly unlikely you'd get banned for trying to run such a well known program

20 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

So my situation atm is my "144hz" monitor set to 120hz (it has problems and since I can't hit 144hz in most things I just set it lower and it helped alleviate said problems) The monitor is supposed to have AMD freesync but I have my doubts on whether it's working or not. 

The situation im in at the moment is I have my laptop setup in a desktop manner (gaming laptop: gtx 1060 6gb + i7 7700hq) I already turned down most graphics settings without turning the game into wet clay but trying to maintain at least 80fps is impossible as fps will drop to about 60. So for (another word for fecal matter) and giggles, I set "smooth FPS + double buffer". Now, I am aware that having either of these settings enabled in pvp shooters is generally not the way to go. I would like to keep testing more, but I don't think I noticed any degrade in "skill" since turning these on.

I was curious if something like RivaTuner is allowed for locking FPS (I'm kind of paranoid about my APB account and don't want to risk it)

My whole thoughts on why im even trying this in the first place is I feel like it's easier to be more consistent with a stable frames vs getting the occasional 90fps then hard dipping to 50.

I also have my 144Hz AOC monitor set to 120Hz because of a stupid driver issue with my AMD GPU that screws with the fan controller if I set the monitor to 144Hz.

What I find weird is that you're not hitting 120 because my RX 570 8GB is identical in most games to a 1060 6GB and I easily hit 120 fps on high-to-max settings on a Ryzen 3600 and 16GB 3200Mhz RAM. I suspect you have a software issue since your CPU and GPU should easily reach 120 fps unless you're thermally throttling. I would also suggest you check if G-sync works with your monitor since you have an Nvidia GPU because Freesync (even Freesync Premium like I have) sucks a$$.

Till you try to find a solution, I would suggest you turn off frame smoothing since I found it to have no advantage whatsoever and just increases CPU load and causes stutters and frame de-sync. I've compared it being on/off in isolation of any other variable on my machine and it just ruined my experience especially when I would suddenly move my mouse, it would cause annoying frame stutters and minor increased input lag.

3 hours ago, Boba said:

What I find weird is that you're not hitting 120 because my RX 570 8GB is identical in most games to a 1060 6GB and I easily hit 120 fps on high-to-max settings on a Ryzen 3600 and 16GB 3200Mhz RAM. I suspect you have a software issue since your CPU and GPU should easily reach 120 fps unless you're thermally throttling. I would also suggest you check if G-sync works with your monitor since you have an Nvidia GPU because Freesync (even Freesync Premium like I have) sucks a$$.

Your CPU is better than mine, I know for a fact im being CPU bottlenecked because turning off graphics stuff yields no extra frames. And since I have a laptop I can't exactly upgrade (although im planning on building a beef cake computer soon)

So according to (somewhere idk) Gsync should work with free sync. I have no idea how I would test it but the NVIDIA control panel says that I can turn it on for this monitor.

3 hours ago, Boba said:

Till you try to find a solution, I would suggest you turn off frame smoothing since I found it to have no advantage whatsoever and just increases CPU load and causes stutters and frame de-sync. I've compared it being on/off in isolation of any other variable on my machine and it just ruined my experience especially when I would suddenly move my mouse, it would cause annoying frame stutters and minor increased input lag.

Yea I also turned it off, but I am keeping Double buffer on as that makes the game feel smoother with no (noticeable) increase in input lag. As of recently i've been playing much more casually and hit silver so I don't really need to stress anymore about getting the most out of my machine. This game is pretty much the only PVP game I will play. Besides "old" Call Of Duties (recently found out about "Plutonium" I think it was called that adds a server browser to Black Ops 2 multiplayer.)

4 hours ago, Boba said:

I also have my 144Hz AOC monitor

Bruh literally same monitor, mine has green flickering pixels on certain colors (mostly darks)

Isn't it just v-sync on or something? It just prevents tearing but slows down your inputs for the picture to catch on.

There is no reason to play on less fps unless you are getting visual issues or overheating. 

8 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

Your CPU is better than mine, I know for a fact im being CPU bottlenecked because turning off graphics stuff yields no extra frames. And since I have a laptop I can't exactly upgrade (although im planning on building a beef cake computer soon)

So according to (somewhere idk) Gsync should work with free sync. I have no idea how I would test it but the NVIDIA control panel says that I can turn it on for this monitor.

Yea I also turned it off, but I am keeping Double buffer on as that makes the game feel smoother with no (noticeable) increase in input lag. As of recently i've been playing much more casually and hit silver so I don't really need to stress anymore about getting the most out of my machine. This game is pretty much the only PVP game I will play. Besides "old" Call Of Duties (recently found out about "Plutonium" I think it was called that adds a server browser to Black Ops 2 multiplayer.)

Bruh literally same monitor, mine has green flickering pixels on certain colors (mostly darks)

there is a program or website can't remember what it was but it can fix stuck and flickering pixels by strobing colors might want to try that also lightly taping the area might also work

Edited by MonkaS

16 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I thought that the 7700hq would be as powerful as a Ryzen 3600, but yeah you're right there is a noticeable difference. And what you're describing does indeed sound like a typical CPU bottleneck. And I can't stress enough how much getting a PC will be a good purchase, but the GPU prices nowadays ain't helping.

If the NVIDIA control panel shows the option of turning on Gsync, try to turn it on and see what happens, it most likely will work fine and it's better than Freesync,

I have an AOC 24G2, if that's the one you got too I would highly suggest you request an RMA especially when it comes to dead pixels. In my country all their IPS 144Hz monitors have a remarkable 3-year 0 dead pixel guarantee and I've heard they replace your monitor if it shows any signs of dead/stuck pixels without any hassle.

Someone above suggested stuck pixel fixing video loops, but honestly I wouldn't rely on them too much. I've had a few IPS panel phones get stuck pixels and those color changing loops never helped at all.

38 minutes ago, Boba said:

I thought that the 7700hq would be as powerful as a Ryzen 3600, but yeah you're right there is a noticeable difference. And what you're describing does indeed sound like a typical CPU bottleneck. And I can't stress enough how much getting a PC will be a good purchase, but the GPU prices nowadays ain't helping.

Yea im cpu bottlenecked in just about every game I play XD

38 minutes ago, Boba said:

If the NVIDIA control panel shows the option of turning on Gsync, try to turn it on and see what happens, it most likely will work fine and it's better than Freesync,

I did, but you know how it is. Just because I told my PC to use it doesn't mean it's actually working 😕

39 minutes ago, Boba said:

I have an AOC 24G2, if that's the one you got too I would highly suggest you request an RMA especially when it comes to dead pixels. In my country all their IPS 144Hz monitors have a remarkable 3-year 0 dead pixel guarantee and I've heard they replace your monitor if it shows any signs of dead/stuck pixels without any hassle.

Someone above suggested stuck pixel fixing video loops, but honestly I wouldn't rely on them too much. I've had a few IPS panel phones get stuck pixels and those color changing loops never helped at all.

I narrowed the problem down to how this monitor handles resolutions. If I run any game in Fullscreen it uses TV resolutions vs PC resolutions. No solution from what I could find out

Regarding the color doodaad trick I highly doubt would fix it as most of those "tricks" are for dead/stuck pixels which is not the problem I am having

I got this monitor for like ~100$ USD on amazon years ago. Not really worth the hassle of getting a new one now XD

On 9/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, R3ACT3M said:

As far as I can tell, smooth fps just locks your FPS at 61. something

Do you think it's better to have a "stable" 60fps on a 120hz monitor or should I let the FPS bounce around?

You'll want to have FPS unlocked or stop at least past the refresh rate limit. Smooth frame rate is essentially a frame rate cap, it doesn't do anything more then that.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:04 PM, R3ACT3M said:

RivaTuner is fine as its probably flagged as clear. (works on whitelist base)

Would disable double buffering as it helps in total framerate but is not worth the cost in increased input latency.

19 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

Gsync works with "Gsync compatible (which is just free sync on gsync monitor)" monitors and fully Gsync module ones of course.  If you turn it on it should work and you can verify on the monitor On Screen Display (menu on the monitor) will show Gsync to be working or running. Often these monitors also have a menu to display the refresh rate which you could use to verify if it works or runs.

2 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I narrowed the problem down to how this monitor handles resolutions. If I run any game in Fullscreen it uses TV resolutions vs PC resolutions. No solution from what I could find out

This doesn't make sense. A resolution is a resolution, may it be classified as TV or PC is no different from one another apart from maybe some timings but those rarely matter. If you can pick PC, use PC at the native resolution otherwise you're also able to add the resolution manually with LCD timings reduced.

14 hours ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

Often these monitors also have a menu to display the refresh rate which you could use to verify if it works or runs.

I haven't seen such an option on my monitor, but I'll look again after work

14 hours ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

This doesn't make sense. A resolution is a resolution, may it be classified as TV or PC is no different from one another apart from maybe some timings but those rarely matter. If you can pick PC, use PC at the native resolution otherwise you're also able to add the resolution manually with LCD timings reduced.

Some games it's fine to run at fullscreen. But in others it selects "ultra HD" 1920x1080

Which only goes up to 60hz. And appears extremely washed out and green and red flickering pixels. I have tried before to remove these resolutions and have researched for hours and found nothing.

Doesn't matter if I select the PC 1920x1080 cause it will force the ultra HD 1920x1080 unless I use Windowed borderless (which is what I use 99% of the time any way)

10 minutes ago, R3ACT3M said:

Some games it's fine to run at fullscreen. But in others it selects "ultra HD" 1920x1080

Which only goes up to 60hz. And appears extremely washed out and green and red flickering pixels. I have tried before to remove these resolutions and have researched for hours and found nothing.

Doesn't matter if I select the PC 1920x1080 cause it will force the ultra HD 1920x1080 unless I use Windowed borderless (which is what I use 99% of the time any way)

This one is weird to me, sounds like the game picks the wrong resolution or you have a very extremely weird resolution present in the nvidia control panel. Like I said, best is if you create a custom one of your own, set the resolution to 1920x1080 to the max refresh rate your monitor was sold for. I believe you said prior it was 144hz and put timings on LCD reduced or standard. It'll test first if it works or not and give you the prompt option to save if it you can see the option and the display is working fine.

This should be able to enforce the settings you set; now all you gotta do is make sure to select that option in the game of your choice and it should work.

Download CRU

Open and remove resolutions with refresh rate below 120hz

and/or

Open Nvidia Control Panel

Manage 3D Settings 

Program Settings

Find the app you want, add if it's not there

Set Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest available

To fix RTX crashes set

Max Memory Cache Entry

Texture Streaming Memory

Texture Pool Memory

Mesh Streaming Memory

to minmum, everything else can stay at vanilla

For the biggest FPS boost from cfg editing set

Particle Space Area at 0 or 5 if it causes stutters

Texture Creation Per Frame 2

VFX Textures 16

Render Target Textures 16

Double buffering should always be on unless you are playing with constant +120FPS, otherwise you will gain more input lag than reduce it.

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/regarding-one-frame-thread-lag.73155/

On 9/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, jmiIos said:

Download CRU

Open and remove resolutions with refresh rate below 120hz

feel like I tried that before to no avail

On 9/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, jmiIos said:

Double buffering should always be on unless you are playing with constant +120FPS, otherwise you will gain more input lag than reduce it.

👍

Merged.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, KyoukiDotExe said:

This one is weird to me, sounds like the game picks the wrong resolution or you have a very extremely weird resolution present in the nvidia control panel

Okay now that im home, im taking a second look. and the resolution games like to default to is:

Ultra HD, HD, SD

1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native)

but the correct resolution should be:

PC
1920 x 1080

On 9/9/2021 at 4:02 PM, R3ACT3M said:

I got this monitor for like ~100$ USD on amazon years ago.

Here's your issue then xD

The 24G2 never goes below 180 USD as far as I know, if you got it for $100 then it probably had something fucked up before you bought it. Make the most of it though it's a great monitor anyway.

I hope you find a solution soon bro

Are you sure you did it correctly, you may have just deleted 60hz pc resolutions.

They should be in the "Extensions blocks" after you open CRT, when you open it you should see

TV Resolutions

Video capability and some other stuff

Open TV Resolutions and remove them all

I have those resolutions too but i didn't try to remove them since for me they go all the way to 120hz.

I did some testing and even when i am in fullscreen game at 1080p native but different resolution on desktop it uses 60hz 1080p for whatever reason, not sure if ultra HD or just PC. But your Desktop resolution should match the in game resolution even if it's fullscreen, also select the refresh rate for desktop that you want to have in game.

Also try reinstalling newest gpu drivers with clean installation to remove any weird res presets if you have any. Do this before doing any of the above stuff.

Also make sure you right click the game>Properties>Compatibility>check Disable Fullscreen Optimization

Sign in to follow this