Sign in to follow this  
LUST

Merging Accounts...

@Lixil- Care to explain the thought process on this (especially if this is forced)? In game, multiple accounts are not against the ToS (with the caution: if you break rules on one, all your accounts can get the hammer)--since coming to G1, this was told to us. Is this wild idea just to make sure the upcoming "Volunteer GMs" can't evade the rules they will have to agree to? You even said earlier that GMs have separate accounts themselves...

On the forum rules, it states:

No Multiple Accounts A new account should only be made if there is a legit reason; members using another account to break rules or evade bans will be taken care of appropriately

Having multiple game accounts pretty much equals to, nearly by default, multiple forum accounts. Merging different accounts sounds ridiculous especially with those who share internet, VPN, or visit forums on free wifi/cell-service.

I'm not saying there are not people who have multiple forum accounts with the sole purpose of violating those rules (which justice should be served)...but I rather not have random accounts merged with mine, lose this one, or some other stupid thing that usually happens with half-arsed merges. I have never heard of any forum-like service that merged accounts. Some people purposely separate their game account from their forum account...much like they should do on the internet. For example: If you are dumb enough to share one email to all services you use, you pretty much leave a single-point of entry to your internet life.

tl;dr - What is the point of merging accounts? What does it solve? Who thought of this?

Edited by LUST
Mention
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good questions.

I would like to keep my iodyne account separate from my old W1ll0w account, since I use iodyne specifically for portraits etc...

And my bf also shares the same IP with me.

What steps will be taken to ensure people who live with others who play the game, don't end up merged with their family/friends/roommates/spouses??

What if someone says an account is theirs, when it is not...and somehow steals another person's identity because all they have to go by is a person's word?

Will they be merged to the oldest account? Will posts and upvotes be merged?

Very weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just have two accounts which I use actively...

And no. I really don't want them to be merged.

Edited by MitneAlt

if you dont want alt forum abusers ban the "alts" but whats the point 🙂 its a free game and browser vpns are also free  🙂

• Like 1

Just now, niblyv said:

if you dont want alt forum abusers ban the "alts" but whats the point 🙂 its a free game and browser vpns are also free  🙂

That's main problem. VPNs because I imagine this will be based on IPs?

Then i move my second account over VPN at least forum-wise, it's not even that problematic.

I have two accounts. I purchased some of my fav weapons on my 2'nd account aswell. If they get merged that's just a couple houndred $ I'll lose by having repeat weapons across all characters now

It doesn't solve anything. It is just a burden to anyone that actually uses multiple accounts for legit reasons and anyone that doesn't will just make new accounts anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gizzly said:

I have two accounts. I purchased some of my fav weapons on my 2'nd account aswell. If they get merged that's just a couple houndred $ I'll lose by having repeat weapons across all characters now

As i understood, @Lixil only sayd to merge the Forum Accounts but not the Ingame Accounts.....

Is this really such a big problem that needs taken care of? I might be wrong ofc but I don't even see much of trolling or shit posting.

And idk if Lixil meant merging of forum accounts or game accounts?

Ummm... they arent merging in game accounts. 

That dude is just unstable, I would recommend putting him on ignore. 

Many of us who were unbanned have asked to have our accounts merged. All have received a resounding "no" in reply. 

• Like 2

i think merging in game accounts would be very beneficial, especially in my case, i say it should be an option you can CHOSE to do, not be forced to do. if people wanna merge their accounts, let them, if they don't, that's their choice, let them do what they want

but in all honesty, i know a number a people who are unbanned who want their in game accounts merged, signing in and out and trying to manage them all is a bit annoying, but if all your characters you favored we're on 1 account, i think things would be a lot easier, especially considering some accounts have account wide items other don't, so when they merge, the characters missing those items, get them

4 minutes ago, scrim said:

i think merging in game accounts would be very beneficial, especially in my case, i say it should be an option you can CHOSE to do, not be forced to do. if people wanna merge their accounts, let them, if they don't, that's their choice, let them do what they want

but in all honesty, i know a number a people who are unbanned who want their in game accounts merged, signing in and out and trying to manage them all is a bit annoying, but if all your characters you favored we're on 1 account, i think things would be a lot easier, especially considering some accounts have account wide items other don't, so when they merge, the characters missing those items, get them

merging ingame accounts is very likely a complicated process so it’s probably for the best they don’t actually do that, i imagine the “support tracking” posts would be a lot different if they did lol

Edited by BXNNXD
typo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LUST said:

For example: If you are dumb enough to share one email to all services you use, you pretty much leave a single-point of entry to your internet life.

I didn't even think about that until now. If all my accounts get merged and I can log in to one forum account with any of the logins that is a lot more chances for my account to get compromised, especially when some of them are throw away emails that I cannot get access to again.

And if I can't log in to this account with the merged logins can't I just make another forum account with those previous logins which defeats the entire purpose of merging forum accounts in the first place?

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

Not sure there was a real point to the merger to begin with. Seems like more work for nothing gained really.

How can they even detect separate accounts? Many players share a PC but use different accounts, because account sharing was also a violation of the ToS.

Idk...

If they merge the forum accounts...

People who wanna shitpost anonymously will just make another alt account...

There's no way they could keep track of it.

But some people WOULD like their forum accounts merged....I'd like my 3 merged tbh.

Only ppl who want to be anonymous or avoid silences want alt accounts.

Just a quite note for you all, to confirm something that has previously been said: This goes for forum accounts only.

This is not related to any in-game accounts.

hate to see this discussion buried and the changes to forum accounts just forced on us. Stepping stone to the first wave of unpopular changes. while its just the forums, there's already no control users really have here and there is so much location and account data stored just on forum accounts that we cannot opt out of. at what point should we be concerned about our privacy?

not sure what merging forum accounts solve. 

On 6/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, Flight said:

Just a quite note for you all, to confirm something that has previously been said: This goes for forum accounts only.

This is not related to any in-game accounts.

Still waiting on the official word though, something like this is pretty unheard of... If this is just implemented the way we are perceiving it, then it's going to cause a lot of unnecessary mix up of accounts based on some wild theory-crafted "identification" method that no forum-based place uses. Merge forum accounts but not game accounts? Again: Having multiple game accounts pretty much equals to, nearly by default, multiple forum accounts. If you decide to mix up one of those sides, forcefully, you are asking for problems in the long run (especially if the identity key that they are going to use and then be based on isn't truly unique).

I understand making changes, but they still need to be discussed and really thought out. While these are just the forums, at what point does this unpracticed/undiscussed "implementation" process impact game decisions--which exactly the path that ruined G1.

@Lixil

I can understand the point of having multiple in-game accounts as I own a few myself, but what's the point of having multiple forum accounts? 
Just curiosity, as I don't see the point of having more than one. It doesn't impact the game, and your opinion should always be the same regardless of what account you're replying with. 

1 hour ago, Spherii said:

I can understand the point of having multiple in-game accounts as I own a few myself, but what's the point of having multiple forum accounts? 
Just curiosity, as I don't see the point of having more than one. It doesn't impact the game, and your opinion should always be the same regardless of what account you're replying with. 

Well, certain users have shown, how multiple accounts can be abused on the rep system which has been changed since then. See? This is why we cant have nice things! :classic_tongue:

This is why you should have one account.

You don't have to worry with one account. 🙂

8 hours ago, Gunsei said:

Well, certain users have shown, how multiple accounts can be abused on the rep system which has been changed since then. See? This is why we cant have nice things! :classic_tongue:

thats a problem with the rep system. if merging forum accounts is because of something petty such as that..that is beyond stupid.

There were already forum suggestions just to remove reputation from view, it serves no purpose and almost nothing comes out of it. for instance, no matter how many top posts OP had on the previous forum, none of it was even discussed within G1 (other than naming the Russia server Nekrova lol).

@Lixil anything about this yet? Or are we going to continue speculating and have me and the people in this coffee shop share a forum account?

You can only have one forum account as written on forum rules.

@Captain Teemo if you're going to coffee shops I will make sure to confirm which accounts are yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lixil

When will this merge happen? Will we be merged to our oldest account or newest?

Sign in to follow this