The_Boss

No Threat Districts are a mistake

On 9/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, TzickyT said:

removing treath makes people play against eachother .... so new players wil have a hard time.

Adding treath makes people detreath to play against new players so new players wil have a hard time. 

i don't see your point at all ...

(no dethreating visible)
play with fun and nice mixed teams.
(still no dethreating visible.)

Once upon a time a great man made a guide, this is that guide.

Everyone should be gold 

Edited by Fruitini

On 9/3/2021 at 6:56 AM, Nagletz said:

it doesn't matter how it actually works, it works wrong

9 out of 10 players: "Matchmaking doesn't work, unless I win!"

1 out of 10 players: "I think these following improvements could alleviate some issues with the matchmaking:"

The matchmaking-system in APB isn't very complex anyway. It looks at all currently available players in the district and figures out, who'd be a good match based on their (combined) threat levels. It starts off with a very narrow goal and slowly widens its search radius, if no applicable opponents are available.

The threat-calculation-system is, as far as I'm concerned, pretty smart and should do a good enough job. Unless it doesn't actually work the way it has been described by the devs. It would, of course, do a better job with a bigger pool of available matches.

Now here are some real issues with matchmaking:

Allowing players to be in an Action District, but not be available for missions (Ready-Up feature).

Allowing players to manually join a district of their choosing, rather than putting them in one designated for their threat level (this reaches back all the way to the original beta in 2009).

Allowing players to see threat levels. (If you can't see your own, it's more difficult to manipulate. If you can't see anyone else's, you have to play against them to judge how good they might be).

A pool of 10 full teams per side isn't so bad, if at least some of them are available for matchups and all of them are roughly in the same threat range. But with everyone being able to mix and mingle all the way across three "colours" and many of them possibly idle in the district, it becomes tough as nails.

Edited by Revoluzzer
Clarification

I've been testing the no-threat districts and i would say its kinda fun being matched one mission against tryhards and the other against complete newbies, i mostly take it easy with them so they don't quit, it shouldn't be a thing but since the POP is just not here we can't do much now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrM0dZ said:

I've been testing the no-threat districts and i would say its kinda fun being matched one mission against tryhards and the other against complete newbies, i mostly take it easy with them so they don't quit, it shouldn't be a thing but since the POP is just not here we can't do much now

The original design of the game was no threat segregation. But the issue is the game's matchmaking sucks and doesn't put good players against enough bad players in order to make it even, so alot of matches are super one sided. The game should definitely take level rating into consideration in matchmaking too. Those r255 silvers shouldn't have the same matchmaking as a brand new player.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, Bambola said:

This will certainly help with the dethreating issue and, although I am not quite optimistic regarding it, with Jericho's population issue, however, it will inevitably have a big impact on the bronze/silver part of the community and they make the majority of the current population. Time will tell whether or not this was a wise move. 

this game has had threat segregation removed before.  It was an absolute mistake.  Thats why they changed it back.  This isnt going to help Jericho at all, but be the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shimmer said:

this game has had threat segregation removed before.  It was an absolute mistake.  Thats why they changed it back.  This isnt going to help Jericho at all, but be the final nail in the coffin.

jericho have zero gold players how can it be made worse?

I think instead of disabling threat-segregation they should've gone the proper no-threat-districts and thus hiding threat levels altogether.

This whole debate would possibly be much less heated if players wouldn't throw in the towel the moment they saw a higher threat colour than their own on the scoreboard.

• Like 3

Yikes. Literally 200 ppl online during the weekend.

If going to disable threat at least bother to hide it during matches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

I think instead of disabling threat-segregation they should've gone the proper no-threat-districts and thus hiding threat levels altogether.

This whole debate would possibly be much less heated if players wouldn't throw in the towel the moment they saw a higher threat colour than their own on the scoreboard.

No this is like playn blind and when you get destroyed in couple of mathches havin no idea whats going on-u just quit the game and never come back.The way right now at least u know who u up against and u can decide to play or not

1 hour ago, PotatoeGirl said:

playerbase stays kinda the same couple of weeks-around 350 peak hour(EU 8pm lol)

p.s. right now is 395 only on steam (6:30 pm)

Edited by AlienTM

Today I noticed that there are a lot of high-ranking players with a silver threat level. And I got an idea. Maybe add another layer of threat? Platinum. This will help balance the skill of the teams.

I have a low skill level, I am a gilded silver player. There are players with great skill. They are like professional athletes. And all the other players are amateurs. I think they deserve a separate threat level - platinum.

Edited by SHEMER
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another issue with the matchmaking is groups can disable alliance for open missions. This splits players into multiple 2v2/3v3 instead of mixing and matching.

9 hours ago, AlienTM said:

No this is like playn blind and when you get destroyed in couple of mathches havin no idea whats going on-u just quit the game and never come back.The way right now at least u know who u up against and u can decide to play or not

Gold threat doesn't mean anything. You can be a new player with a couple of lucky wins and get gold.

6 hours ago, SHEMER said:

Today I noticed that there are a lot of high-ranking players with a silver threat level. And I got an idea. Maybe add another layer of threat? Platinum. This will help balance the skill of the teams.

I have a low skill level, I am a gilded silver player. There are players with great skill. They are like professional athletes. And all the other players are amateurs. I think they deserve a separate threat level - platinum.

That won't fix anything. Matchmaking doesn't use the color system. It uses a hidden value that your color is based on. Adding another color won't change that.

Edited by BlatMan
  • Thanks 1

They should just bring back the threat stats to the foreground, so people know if they are silver 1 through 10, etc etc.

I am sure a lot of the silver ranked people will realize that the gold threat they fight against and vice versa are not very skewed in terms of different level, and then when they do go into a mission with a silver 5 fighting a gold 10, they can come here to complain and scream.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, SHEMER said:

How does this suggestion still pop up in 2021?

I swear this forum is like an existence running in it's own time. Be gone for a decade and you will come back as if nothing happened.

Or is it proof that new players are still joining :classic_ninja:

Edited by TheJellyGoo

The game have(EU)2 finan. dist. full and 1 waterf.If we separate somehow the players by threat we gonna get like every dist with 15-20 vs 15-20 for finan and waterf gonna be unplayable.Plus we gonna get same oposition over and over again.So current missions without threat dist is the only option i think.With this small playerbase just cant be otherwise .Other way is to wipe out the missions entirely like already suggested and replace it with some free for all/50vs50 mode where players can get exp,money,JT but they not gonna make this change so it is what it is

• Like 1

There are too little players to make threat segregation work anymore. We need to start bridging the gap between the higher skilled players and the lower skilled ones. And one way is to look at how we can unlock the essential arsenal of weapons and vehicles for the newer players earlier and much faster.

Secondly, I've been playing this game since 2012/2013, and my main observation of the people who complains about removal of threat segregation are that they are also often the ones that dethreat so they could fight easier opposition. Threat segregation has only truly hurt the really good players as there are not enough people within gold ranks to play amongst themselves unless you fancy playing against the same 2 teams all night.

We need to remove the threat icon, and start using hidden mmr. Revo also mentioned a really good idea of disabling 'unready' in action district which is worth exploring. All these combined with a full arsenal unlocked, newer/less-skilled players would be able to fight on fairer grounds.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:38 AM, TheJellyGoo said:

How does this suggestion still pop up in 2021?

I swear this forum is like an existence running in it's own time. Be gone for a decade and you will come back as if nothing happened.

Or is it proof that new players are still joining :classic_ninja:

At first it seems like a silly idea, and the argument that: bronze -> silver -> gold -> platinum is very valid. But as someone who doesn't want to try-hard anymore in the game I find myself bouncing between silver and gold a lot. In theory, for those who want to try super hard would get sent to Plat and would fight other plats and golds, while maybe it will keep Trainees and bronzes from fighting platinum.

Or

Everyone will just get bumped up a threat and no difference will be made in the end. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, PotatoeGirl said:

If going to disable threat at least bother to hide it during matches. 

No....i aint getting killed 5 times only to realize its a gold im fighting(mostly getting farmed) to which i cant win unless im near a building to use cover.........not like they gonna let me crouch and shoot in the open.....it is actually really hard to do that strafe left and right thing they do in open street......i might as well book it in a npc car and regain my momentum in the next match. Although i would say if u manage 3-5kills on them their wall falls and they become more killable (without an osmaw, most of the time). But the amount of seemingly magical things i die by.  ......like a percussion grenade thrown 55m landing on my head after i finally killed a hard camping gold beasting with an ntec hs3 alone. kinda hits u like a truck in emotions..... though it had bronzes on his team so it was good to see, unbiasedly speaking. (Might as well call this game Nania reloaded: osmaw and shaw chariots meme edition; come fight the oscar cavalry take on stun opgl cannons across the plains of fallen silver grove, defeat the undead ntech army and face the medusa spam king in campinton camelot while fighting his colby witches of .45 ap wands on this thrilling adventure 10/10 google play store) ;(  not my best satire might have to rewatch. 

Of course those two last lines are just the legendary moments u encounter after playing the game 1 hr above, with my exaggeration and doesn't sum APB. (silver btw) back in the bronze server ngl XD i could of come on test out my weapons and face 1 0r 2 golds (which i shrugged of as karma sometimes). Now i have to face golds, back to back after just an hr of playing especially when im tired......I could go on to talk about weapon balance etc but theres something else i haven't seen really specifically discussed. The reason we play matches is for contact standing the ppl who wins gets more and ppl who lose gets significantly less. but what if it was the same win or lose. the tryharding would stop etc. ppl can now play for fun 🙂 

winning team's more significant contact standing gained should not be a thing let it be independent (same amount (with the premium as it is) win or lose) more so until threat segregation comes back.  Reward the losing team the same amount as the winning team's contact standing gained for trying.

Edited by Theronguard
adding

On 9/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, Revoluzzer said:

Hell, hide rank as well.  People also give up when they see rank 255.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, illgot said:

Hell, hide rank as well.  People also give up when they see rank 255.

Hide names too, people remember names of people who stomp them.

Notice how this can just keep going, which shows how pointless this whole debate is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Notice how this can just keep going, which shows how pointless this whole debate is.

i know hide hide everything. you have to win the match by going on a scavenger hunt for guns and nades then you can fight. who finds the guns first wins 

1 hour ago, cowhorseman said:

i know hide hide everything. you have to win the match by going on a scavenger hunt for guns and nades then you can fight. who finds the guns first wins 

riot sucked

13 hours ago, Hexerin said:

well then lets replace everyone for the green cap then since people will remember outfits xd

7 hours ago, MrM0dZ said:

well then lets replace everyone for the green cap then since people will remember outfits xd

That's me right there, I suck at remembering people's names, in real life and online both, but I remember one's appearance quite well. So yeah, we should disable custom outfits for the Fight Club and action districts 😄