The best solution I found is. Don't focus on APB so much. Play other games which can help you improve your aim like Quake Live/Champions for example, read about things like muscle memory, crosshair placement, train your flicks and stuff and by the time you are done with that and you develop your skill, most likely matchmaking will be fixed. EZ Clap.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nymphi--DoubleDee said:

Destiny 2's phasing is a joke.

WoW did it first, and better.

Ok, then WoW's phasing then...? It was just an example of what needs to be done. Weird thing to pick on.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:00 AM, xFlame said:

Would've given you a like, but I ran out of them. I've been getting a lot of suggestions from players to try out fight club. I'm most definitely going to join those districts more because it seems like that is a good skill booster. Thank you

Fight club is a great place to learn but it's not that great when you try and transfer those skills into a mission district. Fight club is run and gun. Waterfront and Financial you kinda have to plan ahead a bit. If you are on the NA servers. I will be on tonight and I can show you some nice tips and tricks. PM me your in-game name and we can play together some time.

this whole thread can be answered with 1 word: training.

people didnt simply become that good. many hours put into APB and other games to get to where they at.

talk the talk or walk the walk.

1: Observe. See what they are doing. Look at their placement, the weapons they've chosen and how they use elements on the map as cover.

2: Understand. Try to understand the whys. Why you failed? Why they were there? Why you were there? Why they did what they did? Why did it work?

3: Adapt. Adjust your gameplay with what you've seen and learned. See how it affects things. Keep evolving untill you find things that'll work for you.

Repeat 1-3 untill you get results. Beyond that, just it's practice practice practice to get the feel how you can push the weapons to their absolute limit.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, Nymphi--DoubleDee said:

Destiny 2's phasing is a joke.

WoW did it first, and better.

Well, the hard part is, in Bronze District, all you are going to do is lose against dethreated and reroll Gold's.

Much fun.

Those dethreated golds are bronzes to the players with thousands of hours on this game, skill ceiling is quite a bit higher than what this threat system takes into account, and the player base isnt large enough to widen a further sorting for threat

Edited by Percocet

For a short term solution, there are people willing to mentor players with less experience: 

In general the only way to deal with good players is to improve yourself, however this game can be heavily abused when you play in a group.

A stack of 4 that plays really nasty will abuse two main strategies:

- Heavy cars:

These things are incredibly imbalanced when used correctly. What you do is drive up to someone, preferably when he doesn't have cover and then make sure to jump out of your car on the opposite side, this will result in you having around 75% of your hitbox covered by your hunk of metal but you can still easily shoot over it. Unless you mess up really bad by aiming like a fruit or accidently getting out on the wrong side leaving you open, this will almost always result in a kill for you. Do it with more than one player in the car for extra effect.

- The spawn system:

The veterans know the general spawn locations on the map without even really thinking about it, it just comes from experience. This means that they can predict where you will spawn rather efficiently. Add onto that the fact that most people tend to spawn the closest to the objective, they can just use the heavy car strat I just mentioned to completely roll you over and over. I'm sure you've experienced a mission like that countless times.

So what is the counter? There is no direct counter sadly, but there's a couple things you can do:

- Prevent them from splitting you up:

By making sure that all of your team spawns together and/or is in close proximity of each other, you can prevent them from just jumping one of you over and over. Admittedly this is rather hard in public     matchmaking, but it allows you to ambush them and potentially stop their momentum.

- Force them out of their comfortzone:

Now this is what I generally find to be the most effective. Alot of these people need their cars as crutches and will often just sit in their cars if they can't rush you with it, until they find an opportunity to do it. This allows you to bait them into making a mistake. You can lure them out of position and then nuke the car with your friends or trick them into getting out and then kill them together. Or you could allow a teammate to ninja the point, it all depends on the situation really.

Now there is more stuff, car spawns, radar towers, spotter, 3rd person camera, corner popping to name a few, but I don't wanna make this even longer. Overall you will have some really frustrating games where the enemy abuses all sort of stuff and if they're good players too, it becomes almost impossible to win unless you have a 4 stack too. The best tip I can give you is to just forget about the win. Winning in APB really only adds 600 score, which is nothing.

So next time you get rolled by some sweatlords, just try to play for yourself instead. 

Edited by Vanille
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

For the most part, I really enjoyed reading this thread, and I want to personally thank those players who took the time to offer advice or tryto answer the OP’s question.

To the OP, I appreciate the honest open question. It raised a lot of good points.

I did mention the matchmaking and threat systems in the Q&A, and they are big priorities (although not as big as lag right now). Changes are coming.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Speaking from my personal experience, I can't 1v1 a gunfight for my life. My mechanical skill in aiming and juking around is pathetic, but I've realized my map awareness is passable at least, so I just use that. I just always flank the opponent when possible. There's always hints that the game provides you to predict where your opponent is/is going:

1. Minimap shows location whenever they fire their gun, which is usually fairly often.

2. Player movement speed is almost always more or less constant. If you spot someone running up to the building, you can approximate where they are knowing the building's entrances, and ambush them.

3. Vehicle spawners always show up on map, and most players use them whenever possible. Combined with the above point, you can guess where they're running in from even without gunfire, catching them unawares.

Being a non-procedurally generated (and yet massive) map, knowing the area helps far more than in some other shooters. I've played matches where the entirety of my killcount is just running around the objective building and shooting the opp in back while they're occupied with the rest of my team.

I believe that we should have better restrictions when it comes to threats as well as making it much harder to dethreat. bronze can only play on bronze, silver can only play on silver, and gold can only play on gold servers. and add in some more "open conflict" servers. people players are able to go to different threat servers it kinda defeats the point of open conflict. with as many people coming back there should be plenty of people to still play with. in theory it should cut the population to all servers having 10-20 players each instead of like 2 servers have full 80 players. just kinda my two-cents on the situation.

Yea, this is just one of those things that is going to take time. Being an intermediate to sometimes pro gold I've gotten some really screwed up matches. (Me with 3-4 silvers against an all gold team.  Like WTF, seriously??)

2 hours ago, Shiniko said:

Speaking from my personal experience, I can't 1v1 a gunfight for my life. My mechanical skill in aiming and juking around is pathetic, but I've realized my map awareness is passable at least, so I just use that. I just always flank the opponent when possible. There's always hints that the game provides you to predict where your opponent is/is going:

1. Minimap shows location whenever they fire their gun, which is usually fairly often.

2. Player movement speed is almost always more or less constant. If you spot someone running up to the building, you can approximate where they are knowing the building's entrances, and ambush them.

3. Vehicle spawners always show up on map, and most players use them whenever possible. Combined with the above point, you can guess where they're running in from even without gunfire, catching them unawares.

Being a non-procedurally generated (and yet massive) map, knowing the area helps far more than in some other shooters. I've played matches where the entirety of my killcount is just running around the objective building and shooting the opp in back while they're occupied with the rest of my team.

Have you tried investing in a better mouse/mousepad setup?  Things changed DRASTICALLY for me back in the day when I did that.

Also, recognizing a specific players behaviour patterns can be of some advantage. 

Edited by TrinityFSB

1 hour ago, RoseTheGoat said:

I believe that we should have better restrictions when it comes to threats as well as making it much harder to dethreat. bronze can only play on bronze, silver can only play on silver, and gold can only play on gold servers. and add in some more "open conflict" servers. people players are able to go to different threat servers it kinda defeats the point of open conflict. with as many people coming back there should be plenty of people to still play with. in theory it should cut the population to all servers having 10-20 players each instead of like 2 servers have full 80 players. just kinda my two-cents on the situation.

That would be way too limiting for a matchmaking system.  You need to have somewhat less skilled players to even out gameplay.  Having 2 teams of pro golds heading off can actually be more stressful than fun. A bunch of high-speed, low-drag mofos just mercing each other while either side barely makes the objectives just sucks.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, xFlame said:

Hi how's it going, this thread is more focused on players that arent as skilled as the big veterans in this game. But I'm also very happy to know their opinion on this subject.

Basically, I've got 360 hours in this game. And for some games that is a lot! And you should have some form of skill in the game, and I'm not wrong I do, It's very noticeable when I join a bronze district.

But because I play so good in a bronze district I eventually become gold threated and I'm forced to play in a silver district. And this is basically where my hate for this game grows. It is hardly possible for me

To make my way through these districts because I am being teamed up with these crazy ninja dudes and dudettes, I do not feel like I'm making any progress skill wise because I do not get the chance to actually do something.

It's hardly possible for me to get even near these people, it only takes them 1,5 seconds to kill me with ex. an NTEC but when I do the same. I just can't manage to pull it of. Not because I can't get in control of the recoil but they always get me first. It doesn't matter who started the firefight. When I play in a bronze district I can literally play this game all day long, but when I'm forced to play in the silver districts, I usually leave the game immediately after getting anal fisted without any lube. I just want to know what type of changes are going to be made to make a difference in this. And what you guys think about it, how you deal with this. and if you have any tips for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post,

Gardenias.

I have approximately 3600 hours of play in APB accumulated around 6 years of play and as told to @Lixilin another post, APB requires of the players creativity and persistence. What I notice when I play with players from the beginning servers for silver and that most see and play APB as if it were GTA or any other game of the FPS genre, get it out of their heads, APB is unique so take the time to understand the mechanics of damage and distance of weapons, cars, modifications and how to vary them all according to the situation.

What I see most are players who try to use PMG to kill an N-tec player within 50 meters ... what's the logic of that? all recommendations are practically explicit inside the game, eg PMG is in the sub-machine guns class why would you use it as a rifle ?

many look at the veterans  throw snipers at close range and jumping and firing from N-tec and venture to try to replicate such movements without even bothering to understand the basic mechanics of weapons and modifications being used, APB is a progressive game to the extreme you will literally take a lot of time to master all of its basics and only when you achieve this will you start understand how a veteran shoots jumping from N-tec, in APB there are no shortcuts there is no way to skip stages of learning carrying do not try to do this.

I agree 100% with the OP

I feel I can hold my own normally, but then I get against certain players and its as if I had never played the game. 

It almost feels like they do not miss a single shot, which then leads to you feeling like they are cheating (even if they are not), but there is no logical explanation

It frustrates me when someone uses a weapon that is known to have major bloom and pulls up hard and they kill you from almost every distance with laser accuracy. You then get the same weapon and no matter how hard you try, you bloom like flowers in spring. I get that you can practice, practice practice, but it really feels like there is some sort of an assistance happening

I also believe that client side latency may play a part. Some days I have a great hitreg, low latency and lag and I feel unstoppable. I then get confident that I can do well, then the very next day I cant hit the broad side of a barn and get zero kills, mission after mission so I log off frustrated.  If these types of issues could be fixed, I believe that would help

4 hours ago, Shiniko said:

See? You are an example of a player who improves himself finding what is good at and enforcing it. There are plenty of things you can try to enforce your gameplay, you need to discover it. Thats what makes a game interesting.

4 hours ago, RoseTheGoat said:

And enforce dethreat even more again?

Open conflict did nothing and people didnt play it.

Edited by Excalibur!

On 6/17/2018 at 1:28 AM, xFlame said:

Until we have better matchmaking..

- Stick to cover, never be in the open, unless you know WHY there are no enemies around, not just that there 'probably' isn't.

- If a fight starts, fight back, no matter if you're gonna die or not, maybe a teammate tagged that player, or will after you die. maybe fallback while shooting if there is a possibility.

- When you see an enemy that doesn't see you, don't engage immediately in the fight, make sure he has no chance to survive, aim, get a cover, get closer/farther.. wait for him to be far from cover.. whatever it is.

- Find the balance and try to know WHEN its each case, of waiting to be sure enemy won't survive, or the possibility that he's tagged already and you're giving him time to recover/hide.

Of course, there are plenty more advice you can find in the forums.

Goodluck !

might wanna get used to playing against skilled gold players...chances are the "fix" is just going to be removing threat altogether and lumping everyone into one server where the skilled will reign supreme and the inadequate will be used to clean the dirty streets of san paro till they just quit the game out of frustration.  

25 minutes ago, Harley Quinn said:

might wanna get used to playing against skilled gold players...chances are the "fix" is just going to be removing threat altogether and lumping everyone into one server where the skilled will reign supreme and the inadequate will be used to clean the dirty streets of san paro till they just quit the game out of frustration.  

you mean like every other shooter?

1 hour ago, Harley Quinn said:

Source?

27 minutes ago, Nymphi--DoubleDee said:

Source?

every other shooter

On 6/17/2018 at 1:00 AM, SelttikS said:

Op is silver and goes gold in bronze. As should be. 1.5 sec ttk is sorta long in this game. I mean you can stun someone with the worst of LTL in that time.

mind yourself that the ttk of most assault rifles is about 0.89s.

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:

every other shooter

I wanna know the source that they think it's just gonna be a hodgepodge.

Also, in almost every other shooter, Ranked gameplay keeps lower ranks away from the higher ranks.

Since APB is always, basically, ranked (except for Open Conflict), if going by that, then the top tiers will only be going against top tiers.

So their statement is kinda false. I still play Siege, and never broke Gold. (Solo Queue Hell)