Sign in to follow this  
redzero35

Game does not support 5Ghz connections?

I have been having issues logging in for months now getting a connection error over and over when I select a character and then saying my client is already logged in, support wasn't able to help and finally figured out that if i'm connected to a 5ghz network it simply refuses to let me into the server. I tested this with multiple connections including my phone which allows changing between 5ghz and 2.4ghz, when changing to 2.4ghz i can login just fine but it's not as good so my ping sucks. I also tried different games and they work fine with 5ghz. I also reinstalled the game like a million times and repaired client.

Honestly this sucks.

Edited by redzero35

this game is held together with chicken wire and wood glue. if your using newer tech the game is going to run slower. basically unless you use what exactly steam says to your game will run like patootie or run like patootie 

i know this becuase my old and new pc have the same issues with apb, and that is stutters freezes and crashs from time to time, expect my new pc has textures on all items 

or it could be a sign to find a better game. take your pick

Hi redzero35, 

I strongly disagree with cowhorseman as I have a very new system and have it running in what I'd class as ultra mode on an RTX3070.  It does how ever come down to knowing/understanding your computer system and making some simple tweaks for the games running environment. 

Your issue is not down to your computer specs "if" you are talking about "5g mobile broadband" (internet via 5g dongle devices similar to mobile phones) this has been covered before in a thread.  

5g or any form of home broadband that is using mobile cellular masks is very unreliable for gaming, this is due to "reconnects" 1 mask may drop you and another will have to reconnect you. Most 5g devices will require the IP to be refreshed and change. When this happens APB like most games will kick you form session. 

You can but doubt you will succeed request a "static" IP from your 5g provider.  They will either ignore you or laugh. Or worst case charge you more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not talking about PC or anything.

I've been using a router connected to a fiber optics landline, and said router is connected to my PC through an Ethernet cable. The router is 5ghz. I can play any games on it but if I try to play APB Reloaded it kicks me from the server when I try to login to any of my characters. 

So then I decided to use my phone's hotspot, which also didn't work, until I change the connection on it to 2.4ghz, then it lets me login just fine. But like I said above it's not as good so it's laggy and my ping is high. 

It sounds like your PC has issues with 5ghz, not APB. Do you have the antennas connected on the back of your PC? A friend's PC had connection issues because he forgot to install the antennas.

If you don't need the extra speed change your router to 2.4Ghz. It has better penetration through walls.

I don't understand why you're using wifi if you have a wired connection between the PC and router.

So @redzero35  So id like to just state im not being moody in what im about to type. 

you have "trouble shooted" your own question. issue is router in my book. 5ghz is the wireless frequence, you stated your pc is connected by ethernet .

and More importantly at  NO POINT did you state in your first post you were connected by ethernet or that your router is via Fibre. so to say you "said" is void my friend. 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:07 AM, redzero35 said:

I have been having issues logging in for months now getting a connection error over and over when I select a character and then saying my client is already logged in, support wasn't able to help and finally figured out that if i'm connected to a 5ghz network it simply refuses to let me into the server. I tested this with multiple connections including my phone which allows changing between 5ghz and 2.4ghz, when changing to 2.4ghz i can login just fine but it's not as good so my ping sucks. I also tried different games and they work fine with 5ghz. I also reinstalled the game like a million times and repaired client.

Honestly this sucks.

20 hours ago, redzero35 said:

I've been using a router connected to a fiber optics landline, and said router is connected to my PC through an Ethernet cable. 

its always good to clarify your setup first so a good picture and level of understanding is there first from the go,    Glad that is cleared up. 

SO back to your issue.  and i can say your computer wouldn't be using the 5ghz if connected via ethernet based on the new information to hand, 

id say your router is probably a very expensive and smart router, thus it will probably have a very clever firewall or smart 2 layer firewall plus extra features you may have to log into it and enable nat/port forwarding for apb. newer games dont really need it but apb is 10+ years old.   additionaly your routers "security features" maybe negatively listing APB ip/connection, check any logs for flags or issues.

Additional Bits to think about, 

Newer 1/2.5/5 & 10Gb ethernet connections have multiple ways to communicate and distribute data, so if your having general connection issues between pc and router this could be a reason (search: duplex)

also with Wifi, again if you are having general issues 5ghz is not really backwards compatible with older tech or even some motherboards built in wifi acc. why 2.4 may be working better for you, so i would consider going back to your router manual and pc manuals including sites to make sure they are compatible, additionally  check your frequencies and local frequency usage to make sure youv not got conflicts, 

In terms of a Game or application not working over a type of connection is non excitant,  games and apps dont really have any say or control of the actual "type of connection" that is down to the OS and Hardware,  ( think of it like trying to transfer 2 litres of water down different diameters of pipe or bucket on string, you can but its how) only point apps have issues is if the connection is unstable / slow. but again that wouldnt put the app/game at fault. 

Best of luck my friend .

Edited by Sgt Drayke

SquirrelFace completely misunderstood my post or perhaps it was my bad. :c 

I am using wired.

Thanks for your answer Drayke. It's the router provided by my ISP actually and it's not too good. I'll just keep using my phone as I don't know how to mess with all that stuff and too lazy to tbh, but thank you ❤️

Honestly it's weird, after I connect with my phone, if I use my ethernet after, it works, then the next day it doesn't so have to use my phone again.

I apologize as I don't know any of this tech stuff.

Edited by redzero35

Hey no worries @redzero35 

So isp routers can be really stupid. and are normally setup to a "default non techy user way" [5ghz routers are very smart and big bucks, and still considered elite too, if you got one through isp thats pritty kl] .  it is good to log into it and change the admin password from time to time, also you should always log in from time to time to check it is updating its firmware. 

So APB being old  and like other games relies on "medium to open nat"  (take a sec to have a read of this link will help explain it kinda well)  [as a dyslexic reading is boring but that read will help in future 🙂

If you ever play Cod Mw2 or other titles youd see "strict nat" , "medium nat" or "open Nat"   now open nat isnt a good thing, but a quick read up and learning how to portforwarding and DMZ will go a mile. 

Newer games  + newer routers like Netgear ones (although horrificly unsecure) they are smart and have a nat library, so when it spots say "warzone" traffic it will pre define nat settings for that traffic,.  APB is old school so this doesnt happen, - including isp routers.  so you simply need to define your routers rules .  

Please dont just wack Nat to open tho. 😂 be a bad day .    Id imagen when your through your phone the first set of connections do not get stopped, and if you transition back to local netwrok by this point what ever your router was stopping is no longer being connected/sent-recieved.   

All the best,. 

Edited by Sgt Drayke