PLAYLUXE

Radical reboot

Please read everything before commenting

What if Little Orbit:

- deletes APB Reloaded completely (including accounts, progress etc.)

- develops the game entirely from scratch with Unreal Engine 4/5

- compensates every player after release of the new game with the amount of credits they spend in the old version of APB

This way devs don't have to waste their time by working through junk code from RTW/G1 times. Instead they focus on developing the game on current technology with clean code.

Also it might be easier to find new employees since new blood devs are more likely to have learned working with newer versions of Unreal Engine rather then older versions.

And with the compensation, starting from beginning won't be a big deal for players since they can re-purchase everything. And they can re-explore the game with all it's new features and optimizations while working their way back to the top.

Edited by PLAYLUXE
  • Like 2

100 million dollar game you think they could start a brand new game? 

little orbit doesn’t produce triple A games, they don’t have the budget or the resources, developers etc.

If they could make a new game similar to apb, why would they acquire apb reloaded off gamerfirst in the first place?

Edited by Deadliest
  • Like 6

This article will give you insight on why this game was so expensive back then: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/aug/27/realtime-worlds-collapse

Their budget was way too high back then. That's why they spent so much on it - because of wrong decisions.

Developing the game with todays technology would also be much cheaper since lots of tools didn't existed back then and had to be crafted exclusively for this game. Now you can use existing third-party solutions or outsource tasks to develop cheaper and faster.

Edited by PLAYLUXE
  • Like 1

Sooooo delete the game made by a complete dev team so the dev team of Matt and his unnamed assistant(s?) can make an entirely new game?

And you assume this will be a faster process?

Alright then..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PLAYLUXE said:

Also it might be easier to find new employees since new blood devs are more likely to have learned working with newer versions of Unreal Engine rather then older versions.

Matt might be a pro but ofc he should get support. It'll even make it easier for him to find employees.

As it looks right now the engine upgrade won't be finished within the next 3-5 years anyway since devs don't even know what they're dealing with. According to the engine upgrade progress thread their is always a new huge problem which throws them back big time.

So they might as well start from scratch with sustainable clean code which will also be easier to maintain and expandable in the future.

Edited by PLAYLUXE

6 hours ago, PLAYLUXE said:

What if Little Orbit:

- compensates every player after release of the new game with the amount of credits they spend in the old version of APB

This way devs don't have to waste their time by working through junk code from RTW/G1 times. Instead they focus on developing the game on current technology with clean code.

And with the compensation, starting from beginning won't be a big deal for players since they can re-purchase everything. And they can re-explore the game with all it's new features and optimizations while working their way back to the top.

TBF, i know most people would disagree with me on that, but i thought the same for a very long time, APB costed 100 million but never gave any decent return on investement, it would just be easier to redo the complete game and reuse the assets from APB since LO has the rights.

Starting APB as a new game, with a fresh base, rather than this old, broken, outdated engine, that is causing so much pain, i'm fairly certain APB could be redone even by a small devteam, in less than 4 years, as long as they reuse the assets from the original game.

thing is, this is a long term commitement, and going forward with upgrading the game instead of remaking a new one is ALSO a long term commitement, one that Reloaded Productions and Little orbit choosed to pursue instead of the first option.

So now, i kind of think it's too late to do that, unless matt has enough money saved to run the company for long enough to complete developent of a new game up to a playable state.

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ketog said:

i'm fairly certain APB could be redone even by a small devteam, in less than 4 years, as long as they reuse the assets from the original game.

The maps, models for cars & guns, animations & textures could be exported to a new engine.

There would be some heavy lifting to be done regarding all the custom code:
Character creation, Symbols, Clothing a.k.a. skinning, LODs, physics... maybe even network...

Starting from scratch would be best, but there is so much to do...

If a "10-devs or less" team could update this game engine in 4 years by themselves, I'd be impressed.

Edited by Talla

1 hour ago, Talla said:

The maps, models for cars & guns, animations & textures could be exported to a new engine.

There would be some heavy lifting to be done regarding all the custom code:
Character creation, Symbols, Clothing a.k.a. skinning, LODs, physics... maybe even network...

Starting from scratch would be best, but there is so much to do...

If a "10-devs or less" team could update this game engine in 4 years by themselves, I'd be impressed.

i mean i'm no developper, but a lot of those could be figured out quite fast, none of those are uncommon features nowadays, they would have a very low ammount of creative work to do, and again i meant it as long as they reuse most of the assets without overly focusing on polish.

Ok. See you all in 3 years.

If they don't run out of money first. Which they absolutely will.

2 hours ago, Ketog said:

i mean i'm no developper, but a lot of those could be figured out quite fast, none of those are uncommon features nowadays, they would have a very low ammount of creative work to do, and again i meant it as long as they reuse most of the assets without overly focusing on polish.

I used to team with a former developer who explained the coding for apb was like a ball of elastic bands and was a nightmare to add things or take things away. It needs a lot of people to work on it. That was 6 years ago...... so who knows were it is now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PLAYLUXE said:

just remake the game lmao

They don't own the rights to the IP anymore, so they literally can't.

Friendly reminder that they tried this, quickly realized it was too much to undertake and decided to close the project. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, PLAYLUXE said:

What if Little Orbit:

I honestly do not recommend that option, the same they have told us in Fallen earth and today we are without any news of anything, totally abandoned. Saying that what you say seems very easy, but then problems will arise and you will be left with nothing. I do not know why you complain, if you have to wait 2 or 3 years you wait for the update, it is not so much! at least you can play apb, we in fallen earth went to fry eggs. I do not wish you the same future, make no mistake!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Friendly reminder that they tried this, quickly realized it was too much to undertake and decided to close the project. 

what, when ?

13 minutes ago, Ketog said:

what, when ?

It was part of the original roadmap.  Iirc there was a team in Australia working on apb in unreal 4. It was later scrapped. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, PLAYLUXE said:

Yea LO will spend millions of dollars startin from scratch just to update a game which was a colossal failure in 1st place..and LO also have the will and the capacity to do that.Make sense..keep waitin for somethin like that

24 minutes ago, AlienTM said:

Yea LO will spend millions of dollars startin from scratch just to update a game which was a colossal failure in 1st place..and LO also have the will and the capacity to do that.Make sense..keep waitin for somethin like that

Nothing prevents another company to make a spiritual successor under a different IP
(Besides the sheer amount of manpower required to make a game of this scale).

Edited by Talla

7 hours ago, AlienTM said:

Short lived RTW version was the shits, I looked at some old gameplay footage on Youtube.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, Deadliest said:

100 million dollar game you think they could start a brand new game? 

little orbit doesn’t produce triple A games, they don’t have the budget or the resources, developers etc.

If they could make a new game similar to apb, why would they acquire apb reloaded off gamerfirst in the first place?

100 million was back in the day when a lot of time and resources were spent on custom code for all sorts of thing, including but not limited to something basic like a day/night cycle.

I highly doubt rebuilding APB Reloaded from scratch in newer tech is going to cost nearly as much, since a lot of the tech is already there. This saves development time and resources, and as such it saves money.

gta 5 cost $265m to develop and market..if someone thinks this type of games are cheap to make(profit over 6 bilion btw)

Edited by AlienTM

36 minutes ago, AlienTM said:

gta 5 cost $265m to develop and market..if someone thinks this type of games are cheap to make(profit over 6 bilion btw)

gta 5 is significantly more complex and indepth than even a modern apb remake imo

while nowhere near cheap i think 10-20 million and a couple years of dev time could result in a decent modern recreation of apb, altho it might lean heavily on a more "fortnite" aesthetic from relying on free unreal licensing, off the shelf plugins, and less realistic graphics to keep costs down

Edited by xiphos
typo

why do you moron suggest deleting everything for a rebbot. what in fucks name do you think that will do people like me don't play mmos work on progress make a fancy looking char we can define our selfs with and go "oh boy i sure hope the owners of the game delete my account by force so i can spend a second 600 hours remaking everything i own" sure sounds like fun with a capital Fuck you 

stop suggesting this and think of something new plus it wont do anything besides piss off people due to the fact grinding anything past 195 is so tedious that it will drive you insane you already need 20 missions per a contact role win or lose and that takes a hand full of hours to do with some of these missions and can take months to get up that high

it's clear to me people like you don't care about how others feel on mmos they play if your here for causal play then play like it and for hardcore play like it dont suggest everyone suffers because you feel like it would help out everyone when in the large scale of events it wont hurt everyone

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, CookiePuss said:

It was part of the original roadmap.  Iirc there was a team in Australia working on apb in unreal 4. It was later scrapped. 

that project actually got scraped? LMAO

when was this revealed????

9 minutes ago, qb said:

that project actually got scraped? LMAO

when was this revealed????

I'm not sure on exact dates, but this was pretty early on.