Esther

[Forum] Three Heavily Critical Forum Issues

- Update with better explanation just a comment below on this thread.

I honestly need help here and I would appreciate it a lot if someone like @Majiik could help me out here or someone else too who has knowledge of this forum. I'll try to explain it as good as possible.

I tried to post the "Clan Progression" thread on this forum. However, I've experienced three critical forum issues which prevents me from posting it. I've tried several work arounds for hours to skip those issues (...) and even asked @Kevkof to help me out with a thread in the Off-Topic where he also experienced the same issues, yet a work around worked at the beginning but not anymore for the second bug which I will explain here. Those issues put me into a loop which I can't leave neither get it solved without help.

1. Double Line Break:

First of all, I've no idea if it's called "line break" in english, sorry! After writing the whole thread, clicking on the preview button then I saw that the whole Forum made a DOUBLE forced line break. Whenever I press "enter" I would like to have ONE line break and not a double one, neither could I see the double line break while I wrote the thread. I simply wanted to write in the next line and not skip an entire one.

Following the preview window showed me this:

E3PI5AZ.png

I forgot to take a screenshot of my written text but the normal window didn't show me any double line breaks neither do I wanted to have a space between. However, I could solve this issues when I removed ALL line breaks of my text and made the line breaks with Word 2018. Yet it was annoying and a lot of work again. I've certainly no clue how it occurred but it for sure wasn't in my intention to do.

2. Manual bullet lists move to the end of the spoiler tag after I tried to solve those two issues above and below (this is actually issue 3):

After I completely re-wrote the thread from scratch again for the second time in Word 2018 and Notepad++ trying to solve the issue number 1. and number 3 I found out that the forum thought it needs to move my bullet lists to the end of the spoiler box. Not much to explain here since I've 2 really good screenshots where you can actually see the problem.

As it should be and I wanted to look like:

mGDBoY8.png

What I actually got:

EDKUKiF.png

All of my bullet lists a moved to the end of the spoiler box, doesn't matter at which spoiler box I looked at.

3. Issue with [.spoiler] [./spoiler] combined with a bullet list button:

Whenever you create a spoiler, add a bullet list with the button in your spoiler tag and after that you would like to keep writing outside of the spoiler tag - the spoiler goes beyond his [./spoiler] and hides the entire text of your thread in the spoiler. To recreate this issue, you simply need to write a text, hide it in spoiler and add a bullet list WITH the button on top.

To solve this issue, I had to manual type ALL of my bullet lists and enumerations which was a lot of work with [.list][.*][/list]

Here's the issue. As you can see the entire thread is one spoiler:

Ty7fHOZ.png

Manual typing to solve the issue:

Austria is so beautiful, you should definitely travel there someday!

But we've a lot more beautiful places you can travel to in Austria!

• We have Wiener Schnitzel
  • Mountains
  • and beautiful dogs

This sentence should be outside of the spoiler tag and hopefully is

^

As we can see here, the double line break came again.

Example with the issue is at the end otherwise the whole thread would be one spoiler:

Austria is so beautiful, you should definitely travel there someday!

• We have Wiener Schnitzel
  • Mountains
  • and beautiful dogs

But we've a lot more beautiful places you can travel to in Austria!

This sentence should be outside of the spoiler tag and hopefully is

Edited by Esther
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope, the people in LO can fix those issues as soon as possible, I know, you took alooot of effort into your actual post you want to make

• Like 1

It’s so sad to see a thread like this not going through as intended, I hope they fix it soon enough..

• Like 1

There might be some formatting issues if you copy your text from one source to another, so being able to edit the "code" for the post is very important for big topics that are written outside of the forums.

I really hope these issues can get resolved.

@Esther if I can help somehow with the "admin" account and edit your post/make it look good etc. until Majik can see about this. Let me know. 

You can even add me on discord so we can coordinate.

Just an idea.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Lixil said:

@Esther if I can help somehow with the "admin" account and edit your post/make it look good etc. until Majik can see about this. Let me know. 

Just an idea.

OFF-TOPIC...

DAMN YOU ARE THE BEST CM EVER ❤️ 

Wish everyone was like you...

Also hope OP gets his thing fixed and forums fixed later-on !

Edited by Thelnformer

19 minutes ago, Dopefish said:

There might be some formatting issues if you copy your text from one source to another, so being able to edit the "code" for the post is very important for big topics that are written outside of the forums.

I really hope these issues can get resolved.

Exactly @Dopefish, that's what I also thought and accepted. I was pretty sure I can't copy paste the thread from another source to this forum. However, I could solve two of the issues with Word/Notepad which brings up the code issue with the bullet list - vice versa. I'm pretty sure you udnerstand what I' trying to say. I simply can't skip through one of those issues. 😓

17 minutes ago, Lixil said:

Just an idea.

Honestly @Lixil, you're probably the best CM I've ever seen for any games I've played. This offer is just too nice. I highly appreciate it. However I don't wanna use any of your important time/free time for a thread of mine. It's simply not necessary and I'm not in a "rush" getting the thread published so I can wait another few days. You better enjoy your wonderful weekend and relax a little between your stressfully work time. :classic_blush:  Once again, thank you so much though!

I would love to give everyone a heart here but:

Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lixil said:

@Lixil I'm out of reactions, so I'll have to post to say that you're doing an awesome job instead. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the kind compliments everyone, it really means a lot. I trying to do my best!

Regarding these issues I do believe it has to go through Ipboard support so... @Esther sent you a DM 😮

If anyone else needs help regarding their post feel free to DM me! I'm always here unless I'm asleep lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lixil said:

Thank you very much for the kind compliments everyone, it really means a lot. I trying to do my best!

Regarding these issues I do believe it has to go through Ipboard support so... @Esther sent you a DM 😮

If anyone else needs help regarding their post feel free to DM me! I'm always here unless I'm asleep lol.

We know... we stalk you! but not in a creepy wear your skin kind of way....

Yeah you do good, take a cookie as a reward. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelttikS said:

We know... we stalk you! but not in a creepy wear your skin kind of way....

Yeah you do good, take a cookie as a reward. 🙂

Shhhh, you do not speak of the secret fanclub

Here's a quick update after giving it another try because I thought I would have found a work around for all 3 issues. At least I hoped but in the end it didn't work. However, I might found out which "command" brings up all these issues.

I've tried to copy past several different written "Clan Progression" threads on another forum and looked at their preview window. One thread was written in word 2018, one in Notepad++, one was completely done on their Forum, one was a mix of word 2018 and their forum tool (made the break lines in Word2018 and spoiler tags + bullet lists on their forum). Everything worked fine and looked good on their preview window BUT then I thought their Forum might not be up-to-date like this one or at least runs on another IPboard version.

However, if I've to guess the "[.spoiler][./spoiler]" command is a huge mess and might brings up all those written issues 1- 3 above. I've made an example after trying it out again with better screenshots this time so it's a little easier to follow (hopefully) and understand my problem:

Here on the first screenshot we can see the upcoming thread in the preview window WITHOUT the spoiler tag. I've used a bullet list (manually written with [.list][.*][./list]) and the Bold button. Everything looks exactly as I wanted it to be, every sentence is in position and nothing moved around.

zVnkhgw.png

On the second screenshot you can see how I approached and formatted my flow text. I used [.list][.*][./list], [.spoiler][./spoiler], [.img][./img] and the Bold button within the spoiler box.

D841qpH.png

The last screenshots simply shows the outcome of my written text in the preview window. As you can see the spoiler box added 2 additional line breaks - issue number 1, this means I've used 2 line breaks between 1.1 History Journal and 1.2 Statistic Tab in the Clan Management but I've actually got 4 line breaks in total between then.

Next the bullet list disappeared from the position I wanted the text to be at and moved to the end of the spoiler box again, I wrote the bullet list manually ([.list][.*][./list]) - issue number 2.

When I used the pre made button for the "bullet list" then the issue number 3 appears and means the WHOLE text is in one spoiler box.

QdX8SYk.png

Hopefully this can help us to get this solved. I also hope everyone understand my issue better now and sorry for my bad explanation. 🙂

Edited by Esther
  • Like 1

Ignore my PM, Why not just copy it into a Google doc and share the link? makes it much more easier to maintain in the long run, you can add trusted people to help maintain it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seadee said:

Ignore my PM, Why not just copy it into a Google doc and share the link? makes it much more easier to maintain in the long run, you can add trusted people to help maintain it.

Just as information, @Seadee and me are talking with PM. To be clear here though, I think this "spoiler box" command should be fixed regardless. Other people might experience the same issue whenever they're going to use a spoiler box for whatever reason. Depending on the depth of the bug and the duration of the fix, the workaround with google doc is an option for sure and I'm not going to lose track of it. Though I would like to try to avoid this opportunity for now in hope it won't take too long to solve this issue otherwise I'll get back to it of course and try to create an appealing, informative and clear thread without the spoiler box. 😊

• Like 2

I really hope this Problem gets resolved very soon. The Clan Progression Thread should definitely be up on this Forum again. 
Thanks @Esther for the effort you're putting into this once again. Good to see people still care :classic_smile:

• Like 1

There are minor patches available for both IPBoard and our theme which promise "bug fixes". So potentially those might help with some of the editor issues. I will see about applying the patches tomorrow or later this week.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Majiik said:

There are minor patches available for both IPBoard and our theme which promise "bug fixes". So potentially those might help with some of the editor issues. I will see about applying the patches tomorrow or later this week.

Thank you @Majiik for letting us know, I appreciate it a lot! Please, let us know though when you applied those patches so I'll give it another shot. 😊

The patches have been applied. Give it a try to see if it helped. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Majiik said:

The patches have been applied. Give it a try to see if it helped. 

Okay, thanks for the heads up @Majiik. Issue 1 "Double Line Break" seems to be fixed now in the spoiler box since the patch. However, Issue 2 and Issue 3 seem to be still active and not working as intended. "Bullet Lists" still moves to the end of the spoiler box if typed in manually or the spoiler box goes through the whole thread if "Bullet List" is used with the button.

Edited by Esther

40 minutes ago, Esther said:

Okay, thanks for the heads up @Majiik. Issue 1 "Double Line Break" seems to be fixed now in the spoiler box since the patch. However, Issue 2 and Issue 3 seems to be still active and not working as intended. "Bullet Lists" still moves to the end of the spoiler box if typed in manually or the spoiler box goes through the whole thread if "Bullet List" is used with the button.

just tried it and can confirm that issue 2 and 3 seem to exist still

• Like 1

Sorry to annoy you again @Majiik but I just found out and wanted to let you know that issue 1 "double line break" is back again in the spoiler box. I was certainly sure it worked yesterday though I'm very precarious now and confused. Maybe I just didn't realize it while I tried it out. Following I've three screenshots with the same issue again. I've tried the line breaks on this thread and on the suggestion & idea section, on both tries I received the double line breaks again. Copy pasting it into Word 2018, Notepad or whatever shows me those unnecessary line breaks. I'm very sorry.

ihk8Vsx.png

KSork7R.png

DPS2qul.png

To be clear here, I've tried it on all of my browsers available Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and I also asked @AkiMVP to try it out in case that it's not an issue on my end. However, he also receives those forced line breaks. 😓

Edited by Esther

I also have some line break issues.

• In Google Chrome - When I press "enter", the cursor stays on the line. I have to press it twice for the cursor to move to next line
  • On iPhone/Safari - When I press "enter", the cursor stays on the line no matter how many times I press it, and I have to move the cursor to the new line/lines manually with my finger on the touchscreen

I also have an issue with the [.spoiler] function in Google Chrome. I just made a post including a rather long [.spoiler] and I included a litte text and a gif AFTER the [./spoiler]. But the text and gif after the [./spoiler] was included within the spoiler text, and when I tried to edit the post afterwards the text and gif which was wrongly placed within the spoiler could not be edited.

Edited by AsgerLund
  • Like 1

So i've done some testing on this. As for the Forced Line Break, this occurs to be an issue with the way the line-height is defined in the CSS class that defines the Spoiler Tag.

I'll show you a quick example. Default line-height Preview looks as follows for me(Same as what it looks like for @Esther

3PZI3Ij.png

As you can see, i obviously have the same "Double Linebreak" which isn't actually a double Linebreak but just the line-height being displayed to high but we'll get to that.

So i've tried and changed the line-height to, say 0.8 instead of 1.6 and voila this is the result:

J4O1Jxs.png

So this means to fix Issue 1, there only needs to be this one Value changed:

.ipsType_normal.ipsType_richText {
	line-height:1.6;

which is located in: https://forums-cdn.gamersfirst.com/css_built_3/341e4a57816af3ba440d891ca87450ff_framework.css.f53bf06e5cfb44798aec13cdc7bee86c.css.gz?v=150f656ad5 (starting from Line 12533)

So @Lixil or @Majiik could you look into this please ?. If anymore information is needed, just DM me :).

Edit: To Fix issue 1, simply use SHIFT + ENTER instead of just ENTER for a new Line. This is actually not a Bug but intended by IP.Board.

Shift + Enter for a soft line break (<br>)

Enter for a new paragraph.

To Fix issue 2 and 3 do the Same. Literally only use SHIFT + ENTER for every ENTER you would usually use and this will work flawlessly.

JeuDehJ.png

The above is done using the Bullet List Button

So it really isn't a bug but a pretty unnecessary feature of IP.Baord. This however can be changed in CKEditors config by LittleOrbit Staff. @Majiik could you bring this to the Team and make a decision wether it's easier to change it and avoid people being bothered by it or just leave it as is ? In case you wanna change it, search for "enterMode" on this page.

Edit 2: With the current Version of IP.Board it's even easier to change this within the Settings. Just check the img within the Spoiler down below

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Itazura
Added fix for LO Staff
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AsgerLund said:

I also have some line break issues.

• In Google Chrome - When I press "enter", the cursor stays on the line. I have to press it twice for the cursor to move to next line

I've to do the same with Samsung S6 Edge on the Samsung Internet App, but this could be simply count as confirmation when you press "enter" once and another time to create a line break. I have no clue for what this could be good though. 🙂

• On iPhone/Safari - When I press "enter", the cursor stays on the line no matter how many times I press it, and I have to move the cursor to the new line/lines manually with my finger on the touchscreen

That's pretty annoying, I can imagine that. This clearly should be changed.

I also have an issue with the [.spoiler] function in Google Chrome. I just made a post including a rather long [.spoiler] and I included a litte text and a gif AFTER the [./spoiler]. But the text and gif after the [./spoiler] was included within the spoiler text, and when I tried to edit the post afterwards the text and gif which was wrongly placed within the spoiler could not be edited.

Did you include "Bullet Lists" in the [.spoiler]? This will trigger an issue and spoiler box goes beyond his [./spoiler] command and literally sucks up the whole post of yours.

7 hours ago, Itazura said:

-snip-

@Itazura I'l give it a try later, thank you very much!

Edited by Esther
  • Like 1