outfit

another engine update post

im getting bored of waiting for the new engine update, our ancestors didnt fight for our freedom so i could wait for a update for a dead game.

Too much free time?

On 6/18/2021 at 7:14 AM, outfit said:

im getting bored of waiting for the new engine update, our ancestors didnt fight for our freedom so i could wait for a update for a dead game.

actually i think they fought specifically so you could be free to pine over a dead game instead of harvesting tobacco

On 6/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, outfit said:

Just uninstall the game and play other stuff while you "wait".
Let's face it, it's never going to happen, and even if it does, not going to revive the game, unreal engine 5 is out, and they're taking over +10 years to bring APB to 3.5, then 4.
Let's stop dreaming and see the real picture. LO has passion but not the resources to do this.
As much as I love APB and it's unique gameplay experience, it's too late.
A new game would've been a better idea. Just make APB 2 in a new engine from 0. Would've taken less years, that's for sure.

• Like 2

well last three times i logged into NA there was less then ten playing, and when events come around it's a soild 30 this isnt tf2 they can't keep adding more hats and keep the game alive 

2 hours ago, cowhorseman said:

well last three times i logged into NA there was less then ten playing, and when events come around it's a soild 30 this isnt tf2 they can't keep adding more hats and keep the game alive 

Tf2? Tooth fairy 2 ?_? Orr nvrmind tfall2 😉

7 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Just uninstall the game and play other stuff while you "wait".

I came back after 6 years of waiting and it is still not done xD

Ppl aren't waiting for a salvation anymore, they are waiting for the scoop of the year, "Millions Dollars Game Finally Dies!!!" I mean that's what i'm personally waiting for since forever (cuz im into reality more than fantasy) to assist its last breath... what i always waited for, definitively not that nonsense about new engine salvation bullshoot, we all know that its way past the graphics improvement nonsense(by the time they enter unreal 4, ppl are used to unreal 8).

You won't get better fps, so relax... we are still crashing, it just takes a VERY long time.

Enjoy it while it lasts 🙂

Edited by Vnight

20 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

bring APB to 3.5, then 4

They aren't working on UE4 anymore (Matt confirmed this years ago). They're upgrading to UE3.5, and that's the end of it.

2 hours ago, Hexerin said:

They aren't working on UE4 anymore (Matt confirmed this years ago). They're upgrading to UE3.5, and that's the end of it.

Even worse. Does this mean they're just working on adding a texture pack and a filter to make light and shadow look more "realistic"?

3 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Even worse. Does this mean they're just working on adding a texture pack and a filter to make light and shadow look more "realistic"?

It was suppose to be a rebuild. Clean up the old code and move it to a newer version of the same engine with 64 bit support. This was back in 2012 or so, when UE3 still had a lot of support. Now it's more or less just get the current content and code working in the new engine so users with the latest graphics cards don't crash.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:14 AM, outfit said:

You're bored?  Mr. JoinedFebuary2021.  Imagine waiting for the engine update since it was promised in 2012.  Next.

35 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

You're bored?  Mr. JoinedFebuary2021.  Imagine waiting for the engine update since it was promised in 2012.  Next.

Not everyone joins the forums immediately. 

Changing the way you approach some waiting period makes all the difference.

Embrace your liminal space!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, ZoriaDunne said:

The point of the engine upgrade was stated from the beginning back in G1/RG days (and has remained consistent since) to be to bring the game onto the actual UE3.5 engine. APB is running on a beta version of the UE3 engine, with almost every system in the game being held together by code the RTW devs hacked together to brute force the game into the state they wanted. Literally a case of "being held together with hopes and dreams". The engine upgrade was supposed to strip out all of that hacked together code to instead run the game on UE3.5's actual finished platform (which includes support for most of the features the game has). This theoretically results in the game running more stable, and with significantly higher performance baseline.

Of course it was (and still is) all just PR bullshit. The engine upgrade isn't a thing that's happening, it's just a carrot on the stick to keep people spending money on a dead game.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Of course it was (and still is) all just PR bullshit. The engine upgrade isn't a thing that's happening, it's just a carrot on the stick to keep people spending money on a dead game.

I think it's really rude to say that, when Matt and others are crunching their asses off to try and push this through for years. You come along and say oh they're just lying and not really working hard, that's one way to guarantee the engine upgrade never comes out, when the most loyal supporters of the game (forum users) are no longer supporting the devs. If I was a dev and read what you just wrote, it might make me want to just quit, so maybe just don't say stuff like that if you ever want to see this come out?

I mean, we literally played the engine upgrade last year, why does everyone say it's never coming? They had to strip back some systems further and rebuild in order to get the lighting fixed which was a big bottleneck for performance, it looks like they have now basically done that. Yeah the "screenshots" that Matt is putting up don't look good cos there's currently no lighting, but give it a couple more updates and I bet you'll see it coming together really quickly from now.

I am a game dev, so I really appreciate the updates Matt puts up from a technical stand point, but probably they are doing more harm than good to the people who just scroll down to the pictures and don't know what they're looking at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This game is mostly ruled and played by Japanophile anime boys ,using triggerbots or AHK or AUTOIt or whatever cheats ,I dont care about any engine upgrade,

as long as there are these type of closets hanging around and destroying the game .

Edited by Atomkraftwerk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, PotatoeGirl said:

Lets see which one comes first: engine update or half-life 3

Isn't Alyx kinda HL3?

On 6/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, Atomkraftwerk said:

This game is mostly ruled and played by Japanophile anime boys ,using triggerbots or AHK or AUTOIt or whgatever cheats ,I dont care about any engine upgrade,

as long as there are these type of closets hanging around and destroying the game .

Nothing wrong with japanophiles (or whatever -philes ((okay, fuck pedos))) but the rest is absolutely horrible indeed. Most annoying about it is they are not even trying to hide it. Just blatant in your face cheats. Before you could at least imagine it was a really skilled player, now everyone just knows.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:03 AM, explosiveUA said:

You should forget about this game. Mr Scott killed her completely.

F

Even though I'm still a bitter a-hole at times about not being able to contribute in any fashion anymore... I disagree. He made some decisions that didn't pan out. From our perspective that may have been "clear" to us, but he was doing what was the best bet at that time. It didn't pan out. Now he's trying something else as a last ditch effort.

No need to rub salt in the wound. We don't really have a dog in this fight outside of being fans/players of the game. Meanwhile he put a lot of time, money, and who the heck knows what else into trying to turn around the game we like.

On 6/23/2021 at 5:42 AM, Sleuthman said:

I think it's really rude to say that, when Matt and others are crunching their asses off to try and push this through for years. You come along and say oh they're just lying and not really working hard, that's one way to guarantee the engine upgrade never comes out, when the most loyal supporters of the game (forum users) are no longer supporting the devs. If I was a dev and read what you just wrote, it might make me want to just quit, so maybe just don't say stuff like that if you ever want to see this come out?

I mean, we literally played the engine upgrade last year, why does everyone say it's never coming? They had to strip back some systems further and rebuild in order to get the lighting fixed which was a big bottleneck for performance, it looks like they have now basically done that. Yeah the "screenshots" that Matt is putting up don't look good cos there's currently no lighting, but give it a couple more updates and I bet you'll see it coming together really quickly from now.

I am a game dev, so I really appreciate the updates Matt puts up from a technical stand point, but probably they are doing more harm than good to the people who just scroll down to the pictures and don't know what they're looking at.

Yh... i still have hope.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, explosiveUA said:

You should forget about this game. Mr Scott killed her completely.

F

He didn't do anything the like. If LO hadn't "bought the game" it'd be goner 3 years ago. Not sure if you still remember the constant ragehackers popping up every 5 minutes, the constant ddos attacks by people who were determined to shut this game down for some reason, and the overall lack of communication and progress.

LO got a smelly carcass and managed to revive it for 2 years, and that's what Matt Scott did.

You can disagree with the changes (though i find them inconsequential tbh) or critizise that LO didn't go far enough fighting off cheaters and defending new players, and putting an end to the dethreating issue. But to say that LO killed the game is plain unfair.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:33 AM, Sniperturtle said:

Isn't Alyx kinda HL3?

Not even remotely, like there's no way it can be interpreted as such. It's a HL2 prequel, from a different point of view.

That'd be like calling OpFor HL2, and BlueS HL3. They're just HL1 itself from a different point of view.