Reprimand

In hindsight, we should cut LO some slack

Little Orbit has taken on the impossible task of keeping this game alive after mismanagement from previous companies. Now when I played periodically GamersFirst were in charge. Things then were relatively smooth (for me gameplay wise) and the game was quite early in its stages. I had some fun in the game.

Seeing the issues cropping up over time is disappointing but LO aren't the causes of many of them. They've made some really good changes:

-Streamlining the JT system as a secondary form of currency, which can be used to obtain high-level gear with little effort.

-Removing the lootbox system, instead allowing you to buy JT at cost and earn rewards for using the Armas Marketplace.

-Giving us all free Premium during the pandemic. This makes the game much fairer for the little man as you can buy good modifications from the marketplace and vehicles. It's no longer a slog. 

-Weapon balances, a bit of a poison chalice in most games. While the NTEC still dominates the in-game meta, other weapons have been given a chance and very few of the stock weapons outperform one another. The few stocks which are useless aren't much worse.

-Regular updates from the CEO himself. Name any other game with this level of correspondence on what is going on behind the scenes and the efforts made to upgrade the engine.

-Percussion grenades. Nuff said.

Yes there are hackers. Yes there are macro users, triggerbots and dethreaters but there's a much better level of camaraderie which I've not seen on many other games I play. Yes, I do complain too about the things I'm upset about but I love this game. We should rally behind LO because chances are we wouldn't have gotten any of this kind of treatment from the previous owners.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

They try to keep developin this game thats the most important thing.I cant imagine other small company(or big)to keep doing that for this old half dead game..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reprimand said:

We should rally behind LO because chances are we wouldn't have gotten any of this kind of treatment from the previous owners.

I would consider this sentence here the key part in all of this. The best treatment we could have hoped for from GamersFirst before Little Orbit was the cold shoulder - and that was if they didn't opt for radio silence altogether instead. Though obviously things are far from perfect right now, I would take the current state of things over pre-LO G1 any day of the week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

feels like "rallying" behind orbit is just the opposite end of the spectrum from those that suggest shutting down or selling apb, extremes generally aren't helpful either way - a bunch of yes men would be just as bad for apb as a bunch of naysayers 

1 hour ago, xiphos said:

feels like "rallying" behind orbit is just the opposite end of the spectrum from those that suggest shutting down or selling apb, extremes generally aren't helpful either way - a bunch of yes men would be just as bad for apb as a bunch of naysayers 

Rallying behind isn't the same as blindly supporting everything they do, it's motivating them to make the right choices and supporting them towards better conclusions. If this is what I said then I wouldn't have spent other posts complaining about my own issues with the game. 

As it stands, there's a good balance of criticism and support for the game which is healthy. There are also just whiners who want to feel satisfaction that something they sunk time into and no longer like has failed. 

lets cut a company slack.

LO isn't just Matt Scott

7 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

lets cut a company slack.

LO isn't just Matt Scott

I didn't mention the name "Matt Scott" once. I briefly pointed out he regularly updates us as the CEO himself which is rare for a company. Please shut up. 

48 minutes ago, Reprimand said:

Please shut up. 

nah, I don't think I will

Rally behind LO? Yea weve all done that from day 1. We want to see the engine upgrade SoonTM but we dont want to see all these bad ideas LO has brought in. Autumn Assault was a giant stain and is now the worst event in APB history. Any form of weapon balance changes has only made things worse and LO keeps listening to the wrong crowd. Q1 2014. That was when this engine was supposed to come out, add on the yr 1/2 - 2 yrs G1 put into it behind the scenes and its been almost a decade since this began and its still nowhere near ready.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Q1 2014. That was when this engine was supposed to come out

Considering LO had only purchased APB in 2018, I don't understand why you're blaming Little Orbit specifically for not delivering on something that was promised about over half a decade ago, by different leadership, long before they had any say in the game's development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/10/2021 at 4:27 PM, MartinPL said:

I would consider this sentence here the key part in all of this. The best treatment we could have hoped for from GamersFirst before Little Orbit was the cold shoulder - and that was if they didn't opt for radio silence altogether instead. Though obviously things are far from perfect right now, I would take the current state of things over pre-LO G1 any day of the week.

I can vouch for this. We see and hear things, things move and go around not as dead silent fish G1 who just sat and did nothing all day but collect money till it ran out.

With LO we got: updates to the live game, new features, attempts to improve the situation, engine upgrade beta's, interviews, faq's, and so much more then we ever did in the existence of G1 owning APB other then a few bandaid fixes. They tried - at the beginning but somewhere around 2014-2015 I feel like they had given up entirely and just let it sink until it sunken.

LO saved it from drowning and brought it back to life with a better server host to protect the servers from malicious people as well as doing their best to moderate, respond to support inquires, and other changes that can improve the game.

I feel like they truly try and make it work out - unlike G1 where I felt they just had given up and sat around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok, but i still dont understand the need of remove the P5N5 instance. the game is more boring now.

18 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

ok, but i still dont understand the need of remove the P5N5 instance. the game is more boring now.

Having randoms affect a mission they're not in while also punishing a player for doing well is beyond ridiculous game design. There are still a few instances of poor game design in APB, but this was one of the most annoying but easiest to fix and I'm glad LO listened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

being punished for playing well is bad game design and its likely something that can't be overhauled before the engine upgrade, so its disabled until orbit can devote serious dev hours to it

Edited by xiphos
edit
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

P5N5? what is this?

27 minutes ago, Reprimand said:

P5N5? what is this?

the bounty system has been disabled

7 hours ago, xiphos said:

the bounty system has been disabled

Oh I get you now. I remember that years ago. Not sure why they got rid of it. Open world ramming isn't viable anymore either.

4 hours ago, Reprimand said:

Oh I get you now. I remember that years ago. Not sure why they got rid of it.

14 hours ago, xiphos said:

being punished for playing well is bad game design and its likely something that can't be overhauled before the engine upgrade, so its disabled until orbit can devote serious dev hours to it

Its funny how toxic players are to people who suggest that they should give LO some slack. 

Consensus on hardcore apb forum dwellers: "nO I DoNT THiNk I wILl! SHuDAp".

You guys do realize that it's harder for a company to please you if everything they suggest for the game is met severe backlash? I get it, some updates you all felt like were a miss but I think ANY change to this game should be welcome since it can always be fixed later down the line in your lifetime. This is a stance I've also had with G1, but they never did anything ever except for cash grab with premium weapons for like 7 years. The game is NOT even close to perfect in its current state, otherwise it would live forever and LO wouldn't have had to buy it off of G1. Also, programming on top of someone else's mess, especially a heavily modified engine from pre-2010, is not a cake walk. We've had so much progress, updates, and EVEN OPEN BETA TESTING for the new engine - I don't understand this baseless mentality that "Oh LO has never done anything".

Some people are clearly just stuck in 2011.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:04 AM, Darkzero3802 said:

... LO keeps listening to the wrong crowd.

Sounds like a problem we had before.

By the way: The creation of Skyrim from scratch to shop took six years. The creation of Fallout 4 seven years... Elite Dangerous Odyssey expansion took less than 6 months from announcement to alpha stage and will release next week... just for perspective - still believing in the engine upgrade?

Ultimately i don't care what LO does with their IP, and if they want to let it fall to decay that is clearly their decision. I spent enough money on this game to warrant the creation of multiple triple-A titles, what LO does with it is none of my business, but if they want to keep receiving my money they should definitely get a move on.

Edited by Sniperturtle

26 minutes ago, Sniperturtle said:

By the way: The creation of Skyrim from scratch to shop took six years. The creation of Fallout 4 seven years... Elite Dangerous Odyssey expansion took less than 6 months from announcement to alpha stage and will release next week... just for perspective - still believing in the engine upgrade?

why would you not believe in the engine upgrade when we've literally been able to play it already?

im also not sure what the point of those comparisons are, since the situations are way different

30 minutes ago, Sniperturtle said:

I spent enough money on this game to warrant the creation of multiple triple-A titles

lmao

look i'm sure i have said this before but no matt how hard matt LO or anyone inbetween on any team works and makes anything people will just go "LMAO i could do better"

becuase in fallen earth i saw atleast 50 people say they could make it a better game and when asked plans on making it better i could hear the static in there brain ytuth of the matter is people think becuase APB and fallen earth are fully done game with everything sitting right in the laps of the teams they can just whip up some new engine in 1-2 years then get all mad when it's "look guys a ball hehe" yea you tell me mister i took a coding course in highschool once a moon ago how easy that is. from sctrach first go ahead simple. using old tools on a old game that had the upkeep and care of almost none? yea your not gonna make it in a week hell a month flat until you tangle that ball and see what is trash and what isnt and for the most part it was trash with exrta trash on top of trash mixed a bit of useful code lines

matt explains in a lot of simple easy to understand detail thats why when he said fallen earth was gonna shut down i wasnt shocked i saw the post the game was as stable as a 50 ton house on a 2 inch wide wooden pole and in shutting down sure i wasnt happy put i understand it makes it easier to work on the game without having to balance a sever or accidently fucking up that sever and palces a statis on all chars accounts etc for that game so we can pick up were we left off

the same is for apb they did the same rodeo of "lets not take care of this becuase it's now our issue" then lo comes in and has to dig up the trash and get things running and etc

so give them 4-5 years not 1 or 2 and understand it isnt just these two games but they got other projects on hand aswell as other companies to worry about trying to buy them out or what ever it is game companies do 

or you can keep complaining like the spoiled shits you are i see how you act ingame and it does not refelct good on what you might be like irl in honesty i couldnt care 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cowhorseman said:

then lo comes in and has to dig up the trash and get things running

The development part of APB is 100% understandable. It's the state the game is currently in and seemingly forgotten is the irritating part for many.

Understandable APB balance is controversial and hard. Example:  we used to see balance changes every ~couple months. Now? Lots of complaints across the board pop up and LO called for a gun game to appease people. 

It's not up to the GMs if they want to host gun game as a GM had to "ask his boss" if they could continue the gun game events.

It's easier to get your dog to leave you alone by giving it a treat than actually paying attention to it.

Edited by R3ACT3M

10 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

The development part of APB is 100% understandable. It's the state the game is currently in and seemingly forgotten is the irritating part for many.

Understandable APB balance is controversial and hard. Example:  we used to see balance changes every ~couple months. Now? Lots of complaints across the board pop up and LO called for a gun game to appease people. 

It's not up to the GMs if they want to host gun game as a GM had to "ask his boss" if they could continue the gun game events.

It's easier to get your dog to leave you alone by giving it a treat than actually paying attention to it.

the state of the game isnt a good one. i got bored logged into a old very low ranking alt of mine using only the starting guns and i got called a hacker by people when infact i was there for one match and one match only and not really trying just on auto pilot if this doesnt get fixed were everyone and there mom thinkins the other person is hacking all that work is going to be for not we need an update on fixing that

lets bring back in fair flight so we can embrass those people becuase that seemed to keep them at bay and having two anti cheats over one makes a tighter net to pass through 

i'm more worried of them stopping on apb and also deciding that fallen earth is a waste of time aswell so i hope they keep sifting and sorting issues and start giving us progress updates again