MattScott

Vivox Chat Update

Hi all, 

I know many of you have been asking about Vivox voice chat.

It has been down for a while, which has been a concern for our console players in particular. We have been reaching out to Vivox to try and resolve the issue, but the long and short of it is that the code in the APB client that interfaces with Vivox is quite old. Vivox has been doing us a favor by supporting us with specialized servers for some time now, but they are unable to continue doing so moving forward.

We are looking at solutions, but unfortunately this means that voice chat will be down until we are able to update the client with the Engine Upgrade.

You can follow my regular updates on the subject here. In the meantime, I encourage those who wish to chat with their APB friends to make use of 3rd party solutions until we can get the in-game chat running once more.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Matt 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Wait, does 2.0 (console) not use an updated version of vivox?  Or did you guys update it once 2.1 started?

• Like 1

Was it even working?

I tried to use it with my friend, but none of us could hear each other. So I suppose that's ok. Discord is better anyway.

shame, i do hope this doesn't cross vivox off the list for when/if 2.1 goes live, modern versions of vivox voip are fantastic

i never knew there was voice chat in game 

• Like 3

Social district musicians are starving, do it fast please. 🤭

2 hours ago, Zyswen said:

Social district musicians

that's why they're starving

• Like 1

tbf i have only used vivox once and than i vinked it off from my settings. i feel like using teamspeak or discord is easyer than using vivox but im a pc user and not a console user ...

Only things I heard the past year or so in that chat was some angry Russians. Don't really get why people want to use voice chat in apb.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update. I personally really dislike voice chat for all the obvious reasons, but I get why the average console user might want it as an option.

One thing I would really like to see in regards to text chat is an ability to save and then use short "customized" text snippets. For example for an enforcer to say something like "Freeze!" or "Need assistance at my location!" in the normal text chat window when pressing the assigned button (though I would recommend a cool-down so it can not be spammed repeatedly to soften the big abuse potential). That way people could for example quickly tell the group/clan/team something in the heat of a gunfight or pursuit without dying due to being busy typing (can not even count all the times I died while typing something). Besides this it would also be a tremendous help in roleplay (RP) and semi-RP situations. Not sure if the implementation of something like that would be possible though.

I'm enjoying the peice n quiet without vivox, But there's always discord.

Remove it from the client till the engine upgrade then.Whats the point of something that will brake in every couple of days and havin processes running in the background

edit: nm i think is not running in background anymore

Edited by AlienTM
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mattskoii said:

I'm enjoying the peice n quiet without vivox, But there's always discord.

Was thinking the same. Doesn't really matter that much with how prevalent discord is. Let alone the fact it is typically preferred to in-game options by a mile.

Can Vivox be stripped from the game install now? Since it's confirmed no longer supported, it would make sense. One less thing the game would launch and run in the background...

• Like 1

voice chat in apb was the coolest thing. 😂
I remember i run with a high pitch voice through the Asylum fight club and had a lot of fun. many wrote to me and thought it was funny.
but at some point the voice chat no longer worked🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Everyone communicates on the discord, few people will use the game chat 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:04 PM, MattScott said:

Hi all, 

I know many of you have been asking about Vivox voice chat.

It has been down for a while, which has been a concern for our console players in particular. We have been reaching out to Vivox to try and resolve the issue, but the long and short of it is that the code in the APB client that interfaces with Vivox is quite old. Vivox has been doing us a favor by supporting us with specialized servers for some time now, but they are unable to continue doing so moving forward.

We are looking at solutions, but unfortunately this means that voice chat will be down until we are able to update the client with the Engine Upgrade.

You can follow my regular updates on the subject here. In the meantime, I encourage those who wish to chat with their APB friends to make use of 3rd party solutions until we can get the in-game chat running once more.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Matt 

This needs to be addressed before the tutorial issue after you guys get the engine updated.  Us vets can speak to noobs and help them along way but without VIVOX its totally gone and u have a dead game that will have next to zero retention. Comms in combat is priority #1 next to guns and ammo.  And dont tell me well u have TS and Discord i know that but when your trying to help noobs in pub groups along the way its a mute point.  Thanks for the update though this has been bugging the fuck outta me for some time:P xoxo

Has someone tried to use it for something else than griefing? My experience with it has always been someone just blasting everyone around him/her with massive audio overload with like 200%+ volume and bad taste in music.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed response.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, SkittyM said:

Wait, does 2.0 (console) not use an updated version of vivox?  Or did you guys update it once 2.1 started?

2.0 has the old version. We upgraded it once we started 2.1.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, Nijavid said:

i never knew there was voice chat in game 

It's literally the game's best feature!

Just remove it, I always shut it down when I start the game. Is what I wanna say but it was a cool feature for social district tbh.

Reminder to delete the vivox files unless you want the chinese government to track you.