R3ACT3M

Link to that new APB Database?

Not this one: https://apbdb.com/ to be very clear.

There was an APB data base I had been in but can't seem to find again. They overall layout was much more professional/pleasing to the eye with animations on the website (not like gun animations just HTML/CSS animations)
Was wondering if anyone has the link/knows what the site was called. 

thx 😄 

You're probably thinking of APB:Db's dev site. Personally, I would say it's inferior because of all the "fancy" additions making it cluttered.

Holy crap the dev site shows proper damage curves.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

You're probably thinking of APB:Db's dev site. Personally, I would say it's inferior because of all the "fancy" additions making it cluttered.

Which things exactly make it cluttered for you? 

Most of the designs I just came up with by looking at other sites and combining layouts I personally liked. I'm not the best at coming up with good UI/UX, so any feedback is appreciated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Speedz said:

Most of the designs I just came up with by looking at other sites and combining layouts I personally liked. I'm not the best at coming up with good UI/UX, so any feedback is appreciated.

47IUpgL.png

at least for weapons it just feels like there's too much stuff allowed on one page without enough focusing aids (pop-outs, dropdowns, borders, etc) for my brain to use 

as a contrast when you click the search button you're taken to a completely different page where the only thing you can do, besides the primary category dropdowns, is use the search box

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedz said:

i think it looks beautiful.

the only unuseful criticism i have is it took me a few seconds to realize where the 'next page' button was. it seems like each module opens up into their own screen so it's fine when you click on a weapon or vehicle. i guess im nitpicking but it MIGHT be better if the page number and arrows were centered at the bottom of each module.

pretty awesome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Exactly what I was looking for thx ❤️ 

21 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

I just looked at that and holy crap you're right. I never thought i'd see that after 2015.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:40 PM, SquirrelFace said:

Yup, it's pretty much the one thing from it I can't wait to see come to the main/live site.

On 3/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Speedz said:

Which things exactly make it cluttered for you? Most of the designs I just came up with by looking at other sites and combining layouts I personally liked. I'm not the best at coming up with good UI/UX, so any feedback is appreciated.

Going to borrow @xiphos's image for a minute:

On 3/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, xiphos said:

47IUpgL.png

Basically, when looking at a page, it's how it keeps all that search UI nonsense on the left half up. It takes up half the screen space with stuff that isn't relevant. When you click on an item after searching, it should bring up that item's page and remove the search UI. Compare that screenshot to this one:

9c28c709ed0122531fb413bc23e3b81d.png

The difference is night and day. The main/live site doesn't have the clutter. The actual layout of information is better on the dev site though:

afddd74c2bc2d70843d3c55e7e86dc83.png

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Yup, it's pretty much the one thing from it I can't wait to see come to the main/live site.

Basically, when looking at a page, it's how it keeps all that search UI nonsense on the left half up. It takes up half the screen space with stuff that isn't relevant. When you click on an item after searching, it should bring up that item's page and remove the search UI. Compare that screenshot to this one:

9c28c709ed0122531fb413bc23e3b81d.png

The difference is night and day. The main/live site doesn't have the clutter. The actual layout of information is better on the dev site though:

afddd74c2bc2d70843d3c55e7e86dc83.png

I do kinda agree, the UI on the left could be made smaller/hidden with an arrow that pops out the search things when it is clicked or hovered over leaving the important information easier to see/at the forefront.

I don't agree.

I think the newly displayed information would be comedically too large. And it unnecessarily adds an extra click.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aeronaut said:

I don't agree. I think the newly displayed information would be comedically too large. And it unnecessarily adds an extra click.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_space

As for the extra click, what extra click? Just have clicking on the search button automatically ready the search field for typing. Same as having to click the search field in the cluttered design.

20 hours ago, Hexerin said:

<pic>

<pic>

I tried making use of the full screen width instead of just centered content with empty spaces on the sides. If I would hide the search UI on the left and stretch the item's content across everything, it would indeed, as Aeronaut pointed out, look somewhat out of place (especially so on high res screens). I also tried to make everything more browsable, minimizing full page (re)loads.

I wouldn't want to change up the concept I have right now, but could instead add different display modes for the item browser. For example; use mobile view on desktop (mobile view currently hides the search UI when you select an item).

On 3/14/2021 at 11:40 PM, SquirrelFace said:

As for curves; I can't promise they are 100% accurate. The data comes from the game's files but currently only shows data points in 5m steps. I would say its in an "alpha state".

If there is anything else you would want displayed on certain pages, I can definitely look into it.

4 minutes ago, Speedz said:

If there is anything else you would want displayed on certain pages, I can definitely look into it.

47IUpgL.png

probably a minor gripe but i feel like the damage dropoff model should be next to the damage stats instead of below it, and then the ammo and other categories can go underneath

• Like 1

Glad this thread brought attention to that database as it's really nice/more modern looking (to me at least)

4 hours ago, Flaws said:

Whats the point in using the regular https://apbdb.com/ when https://dev.apbdb.com/ is so much better in every way and even shows damage curves? Why do we even have two?

dev. is just a testing environment on the production server for me. Eventually it'll become apbdb.com.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Flaws said:

Whats the point in using the regular https://apbdb.com/ when https://dev.apbdb.com/ is so much better in every way and even shows damage curves? Why do we even have two?

3 hours ago, Speedz said:

dev. is just a testing environment on the production server for me. Eventually it'll become apbdb.com.

yeah, the last thing one wants to do is commit changes to the live site, and then finds out it breaks several other things, and then its a wild goose chase going in on the background while regular users are going "uhhh what's going on?"

Edited by Aeronaut

On 3/15/2021 at 12:05 AM, Speedz said:

The "clutter" is fine.

Though imo, the main content of the page should be a little more centered, which could be achieved by making the item selection list a little less wide. The filter side could also become a little narrower. 

5 hours ago, GhosT said:

The "clutter" is fine.

Though imo, the main content of the page should be a little more centered, which could be achieved by making the item selection list a little less wide. The filter side could also become a little narrower. 

Something like this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/V1P3naR

God i hate how i can't copy imgur images into the chat anymore because all the imgur options disappeared wtf .-.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

On 3/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, Speedz said:

I wouldn't want to change up the concept I have right now, but could instead add different display modes for the item browser.

As others have brought up, a button to collapse the filter and item list sections would be a reasonable alternative. Ideally with an option/toggle to have the collapse be default behavior.

4 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

God i hate how i can't copy imgur images into the chat anymore because all the imgur options disappeared wtf .-.

Right click -> View Image

This is of course assuming you're using a proper browser like Firefox, and not subjecting yourself to self-harm with Chrome. Then again, if you're using Imgur, you're kinda doing it to yourself anyways.

19 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Something like this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/V1P3naR

Right click > View Image. Internet 101

Yeah, that's what I meant.

16 hours ago, Hexerin said:

As others have brought up, a button to collapse the filter and item list sections would be a reasonable alternative. Ideally with an option/toggle to have the collapse be default behavior.

I added the ability to collapse the sidebar. When collapsed the content in it is hidden+smaller and the item list is also slightly smaller. Tell me what you think.

I'll add an options menu later for saving this and several other features.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Speedz said:

I added the ability to collapse the sidebar. When collapsed the content in it is hidden+smaller and the item list is also slightly smaller. Tell me what you think. I'll add an options menu later for saving this and several other features.

Very nice! It's much easier on the eyes looking at the main info panel. If I had one critique I'd put towards this, it'd be the following tweak:

b5d79c7d0d03de2ed6ad9b751aba8927.png

Don't change the blue line's horizontal location, but shift (expand?) the red line over as indicated. Without seeing the end result, I feel like halfway would be enough (hence the second red line's position). The expand button doesn't need to be so big, and this would allow a bit more space for the item list's item names (as some item names can be quite long).

On 3/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, GhosT said:

Right click > View Image. Internet 101

Yeah, that's what I meant.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:16 AM, Hexerin said:

Right click -> View Image

This is of course assuming you're using a proper browser like Firefox, and not subjecting yourself to self-harm with Chrome. Then again, if you're using Imgur, you're kinda doing it to yourself anyways.

You realize that imgur like 2-3+ years ago used to simply have "codes" listed to the side that you could copy and it would auto-paste right? .-. But thanks for letting me know how to do so now.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:24 PM, Speedz said:

I added the ability to collapse the sidebar. When collapsed the content in it is hidden+smaller and the item list is also slightly smaller. Tell me what you think.

I'll add an options menu later for saving this and several other features.

I like it, is there a way to instead of expanding the area in the blue box when the sidebar is reduced, to instead push the numbers and info over to the left? that way that side is not so... "close" to the scroll bar and is a little more... "condensed" without having to look so far to the right to see the stats?

hE3PyMY.png

Edited by Noob_Guardian