Sign in to follow this  
Reprimand

My two cents!

As someone who used to play APB back in 2008 briefly and have come back three times to play this game (I know) here's my two cents on what can be done to improve the general quality of life of the game.

Everyone has thrown in their two cents, here is mine.

HUD: The HUD is way too large and intrusive. There's a lot of stuff going on and making it smaller and less "flashy" would be a very welcome improvement to APB. Maybe there is a setting for this, but I do think that turning it off is detrimental especially when you need to see what's going on just not all at once.

Camera: That over the shoulder camera angle needs a slight adjustment. It's really uncomfortable to aim from and often times you have to aim ever so slightly higher to get headshots. Zooming it out would be a welcome change in my mind so you can at least see on both sides of your shoulder instead of 25% of one and 75% of the other.

Grenades: Yes, I know. The grenades are the get out of jail free card for getting flushing out roof sniper, finishing off an enemy or blowing up some poor mook's vehicle. Anyway the grenade model in this game has gotten insane. The frag is the best, let's be honest. We should change the role of the percussion grenade to be for vehicle based combat and not general. If you disagree that it renders the slot useless, we have firework launchers and tasers so no it doesn't. I've used the percussion and even I think it's become ridiculous how easy it is to pump a few shots into someone and then tap G to end the fight. Gunplay should remain key.

Guns: The meta is very simple and can remain simple if we stop doing the most about what to do and take away. Our baseline is this:

NTEC - Perfect for close to medium high powered shooting. Burst firing for poking targets. Suffers a lot of recoil so awful for spray and pray tactics.
OCA - Exceptional at close ranges, pathetic medium to long distance. Impossible to use at long range.

PMG - Great at close range, however weaker than the OCA due to the fire rate. Still viable up to a medium range. Useless at long range.

Star 556 - An all-rounder. Good at all ranges, but will suffer to a more native weapon designed for a specific range.

Obeya FBW - Literally perfect. A close range pistol which harasses a player enough to finish them off.

JG 840 - The best shotgun in the game. Little recoil, high reward. Especially good for bullying targets at medium to long ranges for small amounts of chip damage. Perfect in corridors.

SHAW 556 - An absolute powerhouse. Great for taking out vehicles, picking off enemies at short to medium range and spraying at people. Forces the person using it to sit still which makes them vulnerable.

Stabba PiG - It makes sense. You need to aim it correctly otherwise you won't have a good time but you won't get away with spamming it since it requires other weapons to be effective.

Stabba CCG - The perfect LTL weapon. Good range, distance and very rewarding for beginners and pros alike.

S-AS PDW - Debatable but it really requires you to use up close on one opponent instead of trying to cheese your way through several kills.

These vanilla weapons are the blueprint for what all weapons in APB should be like. However, their counterparts are horrendous.

Weapons that need improving:

Joker RFP 9 - Good in concept, but for a burst fire pistol this should be highly accurate at medium to long ranges. It should be a mini OBIR, capable of killing at very long distances but hard to use up close.

OBIR - Same problem. The damage output is poor and for what should kill in 2-3 bursts this weapon just has too slow of a fire rate or base damage to threaten an opponent at long ranges.

DMR SD - The silencer isn't really worth it. This weapon should be a faster, yet weaker version of the NHVR but yet it's just pathetic and the recoil on it is ridiculous.

Obeya CR762 - Should be a long range version of the Joker SR15 but it isn't. The recoil is awful and for a long range weapon this really doesn't stand a chance against an assault rifle, good aim or not.

Joker SR 15 Carbine - Very inaccurate for a weapon which is supposed to be a semi-automatic close to medium range weapon. Not particularly good at hitting moving targets or even at direct ranges. The damage drop off is also unbearable.

ACT 44 - This takes 4 shots to kill. It's supposed to be a Deagle. This should be a stronger version of the FBW, good for sniping at long ranges with weak damage but punishing up close. 

Stabba NG 8 - Super inaccurate and somehow worse than the PiG. Do we really need a secondary full auto LTL weapon? Make it semi automatic.

Colby SNR 850 - Should be discouraged from close range use. I believe this weapon should be used for picking off targets at medium range but it fails to be viable at any.

ALIG 762 - While touted as a vehicle killer, this weapon should be a longer range version of the SHAW. Slower, more accurate, still requires you to sit still but better at longer distances.

OSMAW and OGPL - Make the projectiles on these weapons red or colourful so you can see them coming. It will prevent friendly fire and be easier to fight against. That is my only complaint.

Stabba NL9 - A good shotgun but the range (for a shotgun) is quite poorly. Should be able to go toe to toe with a JG 840 and most other close range weapons but the gun functions more like a rifle than anything. Should be more forgiving and spread out in pellets instead of bean bag rounds.

Colby RSA - Should work close to medium range but has wildly inaccurate aim. Some players use this like a sniper but for the fire rate it isn't as beneficial as a FBW would be.

NFA 9 - Should be able to pick off one to two damaged opponents close range as a panic button but fails to do either.

Please just remove the camera shaking with recoil. I know you guys will crucify me for saying this but the camera shake is non-existent on many of the strong weapons and that's why they have an advantage at closer ranges. 

This is how we fix APB.

15 hours ago, Reprimand said:

you have to aim ever so slightly higher to get headshots

Head shots don't exist in APB, the "higher" you think exists doesn't cause no matter the height of the character the hitbox will always be the same.

15 hours ago, Reprimand said:

We should change the role of the percussion grenade to be for vehicle based combat and not general.

Should be the opposite if LO can deliver on the EMP grenade in version 2.1

Edited by R3ACT3M

I agree about the HUD, a bit cluttery for a game in today's landscape, and annoys me doubly so knowing how much it decreases precious fps, it would be nice to have more customizability for it

I think the camera is one of the best placed in any third person game, that is when you've zoomed it out enough where you dont feel awkwardly close to your character (hold the - and + keys to adjust it) 

Concs are the anti-vehicle grenade, as well as being high skill, high reward anti-personnel; making percs anti-vehicle doesn't really make much sense to me

Most of the guns you say need improving, OBIR, CR762, SR15 all are meta weapons atm and others such as ACT, RSA, ALIG are still very viable and are in a decent spot balancewise. [funny you say the OBIR does not have enough damage output when one burst is 495 damage, 5 away from taking out half your health in a single burst]

5 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

Head shots don't exist in APB, the "higher" you think exists doesn't cause no matter the height of the character the hitbox will always be the same.

Should be the opposite if LO can deliver on the EMP grenade in version 2.1

Thank you for clarifying. So there's no difference between leg and head shots?

5 hours ago, Acornie said:

I agree about the HUD, a bit cluttery for a game in today's landscape, and annoys me doubly so knowing how much it decreases precious fps, it would be nice to have more customizability for it

I think the camera is one of the best placed in any third person game, that is when you've zoomed it out enough where you dont feel awkwardly close to your character (hold the - and + keys to adjust it) 

Concs are the anti-vehicle grenade, as well as being high skill, high reward anti-personnel; making percs anti-vehicle doesn't really make much sense to me

Most of the guns you say need improving, OBIR, CR762, SR15 all are meta weapons atm and others such as ACT, RSA, ALIG are still very viable and are in a decent spot balancewise. [funny you say the OBIR does not have enough damage output when one burst is 495 damage, 5 away from taking out half your health in a single burst]

The only problem I have is how much it zooms in when you sprint. It can be a little bit too close, especially when you want to stop and fire at an opponent.

Concussion grenades! I completely forgot about those. I think giving percussion grenades a short fuse or a two bounce to explode would be much better. You're adding a skill ceiling but not really making it unviable.

When I say meta weapons, I mean the weapon performs its task with little difficulty. You would be hard pressed to find someone who uses an OBIR over an NVHR, or even CR762 over an NTEC. See what I mean? I've found that OBIR on moving targets is very unprecise especially with the bullet spread. 

Nearly everything you said for "Weapons that need improving:" is wrong. Try tracking your opponents more ("even" with the OBIR).

8 hours ago, Reprimand said:

Thank you for clarifying. So there's no difference between leg and head shots?

None, I think LO SHOULD implement a part of the hitbox that is the feet to take less damage. Because I hate getting kill when taking cover behind a car in waterfront with no other reliable cover.

The only problem I have is how much it zooms in when you sprint. It can be a little bit too close, especially when you want to stop and fire at an opponent.

Correct me if im wrong but I think when you press the - / + keys it zooms the default position in and out, and further zooms make the camera zoom in while closer zooms make it zoom out.

Concussion grenades! I completely forgot about those. I think giving percussion grenades a short fuse or a two bounce to explode would be much better. You're adding a skill ceiling but not really making it unviable.

They already have been nerfed. They mainly were paired with the taser for a quick stun which was nerfed so you can't really do that anymore. And they do such little damage so a bounce or minor timer would only make them worst. Believe me I hate seeing people use them but I don't want them to be completely useless for those who do use them.