Sakebee

Config PSA

And than there is me:

Playing this without config or advanced launcher, with damned RTX 2080 and all ingame settings on low to prevent the crash but i'm still alwas bouncing silver - gold and back... 

I tried some configs and also used the advanced launcher with my old setup and IT IS making things better on some rigs.

Now it's running smooth 129fps (capped it there via Nvidia driver) with low ingame settings.

Edit:

Not saying that i don't have serverside lag or garbage collection lag but on my side, well... it's playable with shitty graphics 🙈

Edited by HighSociety

37 minutes ago, HighSociety said:

And than there is me:

Playing this without config or advanced launcher, with damned RTX 2080 and all ingame settings on low to prevent the crash but i'm still alwas bouncing silver - gold and back... 

I tried some configs and also used the advanced launcher with my old setup and IT IS making things better on some rigs.

Now it's running smooth 129fps (capped it there via Nvidia driver) with low ingame settings.

Edit:

Not saying that i don't have serverside lag or garbage collection lag but on my side, well... it's playable with shitty graphics 🙈

how come? im runing 130-140+ fps via R9 290 vapor x???

3 hours ago, wHisHi said:

Whats bad about 60?!

playing with 20-30 lol

Everything is wrong with 60 fps in 2021. 144hz.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bambola said:

...and make the current player base of 300 active players go down to 50 from which 30 are AFK in Social. 

You mean the LO weapon balances havent done that already? Some things LO should listen to the community on, other stuff such as configs they shouldnt. Right now you have those who use configs and those who dont so before you even log in the playing field is imbalanced. Now lets add in the fact that newbies (if they existed) all use the default launcher, this only makes an already impossibly steep learning curve that much steeper. Its just yet another reason why newbies never stuck around. Those that do learn about other APB launchers get the wrong thing and get banned and never return.

Everyone talks about improving the game yet the actions say screw that I want what I want. Configs are a perfect example of that.

10 hours ago, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA said:

idk about you but i don't play video games that i have to "deal with" - if the game isn't enjoyable because the game doesn't work then im not going to bother playing, and i'm pretty sure a whole lot of the players using configs would agree with me

so you can chill in social wearing your big boy underwear because NA can't even support the single district it barely manages now after the config users leave lol

I dont go into social unless im changing clothes lol. I dont artificially inflate the player pop by afking in social all day unlike most vets. You will always have to "deal with" something in a video game, they arent flawless. And out of those config players how many of em would be banned anyway if we had an actual anti cheat that could detect the programs being used to "git gud"?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EMilika said:

how come? im runing 130-140+ fps via R9 290 vapor x???

Ah dunno for me it just feels the most enjoyable and smooth when i cap it at 129fps.

no changed files or something just via nvidia settings. 

I tried many, many things and settings to prevent RTX crash.

and thats just what it is now...

Playing on potato settings with capped 129fps 🙂

Edited by HighSociety

10 hours ago, Flaws said:

Everything is wrong with 60 fps in 2021. 144hz.

With garbage UE3, no wonder

6 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

You will always have to "deal with" something in a video game, they arent flawless. And out of those config players how many of em would be banned anyway if we had an actual anti cheat that could detect the programs being used to "git gud"?

theres a difference between getting the occasional bug or glitch and dealing with apb stuttering every 60 seconds from garbage collection, its not even comparable really 

who knows how many config users would be banned, using a config just so that your game is barely playable isnt some magical red flag indication of cheating 

20 hours ago, wHisHi said:

Agree 100%, I said it many times, Im playing with Intel graphics, i5 1.6Ghz and can still be competetive. Configs are huge bs in my opinion.

Why? How? People are still playing with 10 years old pc or smth?

No, you're not competetive.

3 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

No, you're not competetive.

What other facts you like to create on daily basis?

On 2/8/2021 at 11:53 PM, CookiePuss said:

Im just looking forward to the fallout from the "cOnFiGs ArE cHeAtiNg" crowd.

omg don't even, I hate hearing people say low quality is cheating, the only thing that would be cheating would be removing particles from the game which gives you an advantage and disadvantage but SOME people just don't seem to understand

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

You mean the LO weapon balances havent done that already? Some things LO should listen to the community on, other stuff such as configs they shouldnt. Right now you have those who use configs and those who dont so before you even log in the playing field is imbalanced. Now lets add in the fact that newbies (if they existed) all use the default launcher, this only makes an already impossibly steep learning curve that much steeper. Its just yet another reason why newbies never stuck around. Those that do learn about other APB launchers get the wrong thing and get banned and never return.

Everyone talks about improving the game yet the actions say screw that I want what I want. Configs are a perfect example of that.

I do not see any valid arguments, to be frank with you.

It sounds like you are saying something along these lines "The recent changes made to APB weapons had an impact on the playerbase, resulting in declining numbers, hence it doesn't matter if the actions of  issuing unjustified bans for using legitimate configs will push those numbers down, even further". 

If the use of configs does not provide any advantage, why do you think the gameplay is unfair even before a match starts.

What do Advanced Launcher and custom configurations have to do with the game learning curve and newbies.

I simply cannot make much sense out of your post.

• Like 1

It's not just about bad PCs vs. good PCs, for example RTX card users face constant "out of memory" crashes due to a long standing bug if their graphics settings are set too high. This is something that can be mitigated with configs by improving graphics as much as possible while keeping the game stable. Similarly, garbage collection is far from ideal on Live so the ability for players to tweak it is more than welcome.

Also, most of the time configs do the opposite of lowering graphics - they improve the stock Minimal preset which is arguably the only one that runs properly without stutters and random slowdowns. The point of using a config is to avoid unnecessary and costly 2010 "eye candy" and focus on APB's great customization potential.  No one should be judged for playing settings that are convenient and unobtrusive to them, regardless of how good their hardware is.  I've made that mistake in the past and realized how stupid it was over time.

It's a real shame that this thread is still rife with posts that equate configs with cheats, but in a way I also envy those who are easily satisfied by 30fps with 3 second stutters every couple of minutes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bambola said:

I do not see any valid arguments, to be frank with you.

It sounds like you are saying something along these lines "The recent changes made to APB weapons had an impact on the playerbase, resulting in declining numbers, hence it doesn't matter if the actions of  issuing unjustified bans for using legitimate configs will push those numbers down, even further". 

If the use of configs does not provide any advantage, why do you think the gameplay is unfair even before a match starts.

What do Advanced Launcher and custom configurations have to do with the game learning curve and newbies.

I simply cannot make much sense out of your post.

"it sounds like you are saying something along these lines "The recent changes made to APB weapons had an impact on the playerbase"
Yes its had a big impact on the playerbase. since they were introduced to the live version playercount has tanked and there have been many negative reviews of the changes and many asking for a revert, put 2 and 2 together.

"If the use of configs does not provide any advantage, why do you think the gameplay is unfair even before a match starts."
If using configs didnt provide an advantage then why are so many ppl using them and why does it matter if there allowed or not? You yourself just complained about the stuttering so if a config mitigates that and your opponent doesnt have that config and has more stutter doesnt that mean you have an advantage? Wouldnt you say you had that advantage well before the match starts? Wouldnt you say if everyone had the same exact 1 config this wouldnt be an issue?

"What do Advanced Launcher and custom configurations have to do with the game learning curve and newbies."

Newbie doesnt know game mechanics and doesnt know the advanced launcher exists, they have more stutter and less fps then you do cause your using a config and the adv launcher. Doesnt that put them at a further disadvantage? If theres a bigger disadvantage isnt that a steeper curve?

You cant make much sense out of it cause you refuse to accept the fact that configs do more harm then good. You just want to have what you want.

I avoid getting myself into any kind of discussions on the forum or in the game, knowing it's rather futile, but it seems I went too far this time to just let it go.

2 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

"it sounds like you are saying something along these lines "The recent changes made to APB weapons had an impact on the playerbase"
Yes its had a big impact on the playerbase. since they were introduced to the live version playercount has tanked and there have been many negative reviews of the changes and many asking for a revert, put 2 and 2 together.

You have quoted the first part of my sentence and completely ignored the relevant, crucial part, the question was would you risk losing even more players by disallowing config files and issuing bans for the same. I am not discussing the weapon balance nor I intend to. 

"If the use of configs does not provide any advantage, why do you think the gameplay is unfair even before a match starts."
If using configs didnt provide an advantage then why are so many ppl using them and why does it matter if there allowed or not? You yourself just complained about the stuttering so if a config mitigates that and your opponent doesnt have that config and has more stutter doesnt that mean you have an advantage? Wouldnt you say you had that advantage well before the match starts? Wouldnt you say if everyone had the same exact 1 config this wouldnt be an issue?

I have already stated, the standard configuration files are a matter of convenience, people want to run without using the shift key, they want to be pro teabaggers and teabag rapidly, they do not want to have unnecessary notifications or sounds, want to wait less for a district to load, to have colorful smoke trails, all of those game-breaking *advantages* you are speaking of. Speaking of the graphic changes, following your logic, people who spent $3.000-4.000 on their computers have a significant advantage over players who have some weaker configurations, thus should be disallowed to play on those computers.

"What do Advanced Launcher and custom configurations have to do with the game learning curve and newbies."

Newbie doesnt know game mechanics and doesnt know the advanced launcher exists, they have more stutter and less fps then you do cause your using a config and the adv launcher. Doesnt that put them at a further disadvantage? If theres a bigger disadvantage isnt that a steeper curve?

Advanced Launcher and custom configuration files, how many frames per second someone has, have absolutely nothing to do with the game mechanics, learning curves, or the game knowledge. Eventually, sooner or later every new player asks how to solve their technical issues and improve their gaming experience. We used to have entire guides how to improve the game performance on the old forums. Does that imply people who optimized their computers for a smoother gaming experience are cheating in a way, gaining an unfair advantage? Pretty please...

Advance Launcher itself has been around for how long, 7-8 years if I am not wrong, at least I am using it that long, it had zero negative impact, in fact, quite on contrary - the population numbers were increasing allowing more players to play despite their system not reaching the demanding APB's requirements. 

You cant make much sense out of it cause you refuse to accept the fact that configs do more harm then good. You just want to have what you want.

Still not a single valid argument provided by you or like-minded individuals who are strongly arguing against the use of Advanced Launcher or custom settings. At this point I am fairly certain we won't get one.

Edited by Bambola
  • Like 4

where is the approved configs list?
all I care about is the inverse hold for sprint so I don't have to constantly hold down the Shift key really

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatro said:

where is the approved configs list?
all I care about is the inverse hold for sprint so I don't have to constantly hold down the Shift key really

They said they will put together a list. Hasn't been posted yet. It's at the end of the statement. 

On 2/10/2021 at 8:19 PM, Darkzero3802 said:

Alright, let me break this down in small chunks for you to understand the NEED to use configs.

What is the absolute STANDARD in games, performance wise?

A smooth gameplay experience with minimal to no stutters / fps nukes / Bugs

Does APB fit in that standard?

No.

Do configs help APB reach or at least come closer to that standard?

Absolutely.
------------

Configs do NOT provide you an advantage since they do not improve your Player performance beyond its 100% potential.
however, playing without configs puts you at a DISADVANTAGE due to it capping your player potential at 90%(Fictional number) because the game has UNINTENDED stutters and optimization failures.

"Well, isn't that the same thing as saying configs give an advantage?!"

No, if you willingly decide to put yourself in a gimped position the fault is on you, not the other person.
For instance, if you decide to go play basketball against a pro NBA team while you willingly choose to play in a wheelchair.

By proposing a general config ban you're figuratively asking LO to bust everyone's kneecaps just because you're happy in your little wheelchair and we must all suffer equally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest in my opinion both sides are right,game performance is very bad so it is normal people use configs to fix it,but it also understandable that people complain about them becuase after all configs are in the grey area,after all u know,knowing all the stages of the a mission beforehand,having colourful grenades trails,removing ambience sounds,give u a much better quality gameplay compare to someone who is playing the vanilla game,so who fault is then?.Sadly it is LO fault becuase they arent harsh enough to say what is allowed and what is not,also becuase game runs very bad and until recently that the advance launcher got officially allowed they hadnt done anything to fix the performance of the LIVE game.

LO has really to work hard to realise the engine upgrade as fast as they can,becuase configs keep the players we have playing but configs scare all the new players away,becuase would u play a game when u have to download the game,download the official advance launcher(if u are lucky to find the official link),and then go to a  ramdom dude twitch to download and install some files that u dont know where they even come from just to be on equal terms with the rest of the players? Most people wont do it,also add that anyone that see someone playing with configs on twitch,they would say wtf is wrong with this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the game would run decent on most computers, players wouldn't have to use configs. I wouldn't say the fps is a big problem, but the annoying stuttering is. You are in the middle of a fight, all of a sudden you have a millisecond stutter and are instantly dead. It's impossible to enjoy playing a game if you have constant problems like this. 

• Like 1

Config's are a weird issue with me, I don't use them in apb (i deleted the loading movies and replaced the apb intro with "F.R.I.E.N.D.S intro"

But in other games configs are life Fixing all the graphic issues or parts of the hud that make being colorblind worse, or just making the menu smaller/bigger.

In APB I have no issue with someone using a config.

Aim, recoil controll and positioning is how you'll win a fight how comfortable your hud is doesn't effect me.

The Old g1 would just say "no configs at all or auto ban" LO is a lil different I haven't used a config for apb but i might in the future,

LO has stated before they don't want configs to even be needed (but allow them and understand why) The ideal APB would just have all the settings in-game As they did with disabling death themes, slowly in time most of these "configs" won't be needed Hud size, Colorblind support or even just making the "titles" in menus pink if you wanted could be an in-game setting.

People deleting sound files is nothing new (that loud generator in asylum comes to mind)

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 1:51 AM, Zolerox said:

Config's are a weird issue with me, I don't use them in apb (i deleted the loading movies and replaced the apb intro with "F.R.I.E.N.D.S intro"

But in other games configs are life Fixing all the graphic issues or parts of the hud that make being colorblind worse, or just making the menu smaller/bigger.

In APB I have no issue with someone using a config.

Aim, recoil controll and positioning is how you'll win a fight how comfortable your hud is doesn't effect me.

The Old g1 would just say "no configs at all or auto ban" LO is a lil different I haven't used a config for apb but i might in the future,

LO has stated before they don't want configs to even be needed (but allow them and understand why) The ideal APB would just have all the settings in-game As they did with disabling death themes, slowly in time most of these "configs" won't be needed Hud size, Colorblind support or even just making the "titles" in menus pink if you wanted could be an in-game setting.

People deleting sound files is nothing new (that loud generator in asylum comes to mind)

G1 said no shaders, they didn't (to my knowledge) say no configs and even then people still used them.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, Noob_Guardian said:

G1 said no shaders, they didn't (to my knowledge) say no configs and even then people still used them.

Meanwhile you need shader edits just to disable the extra processing done with their shader changes, like the fog, extra bloom, and instagram blue filter.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:38 PM, SquirrelFace said:

Meanwhile you need shader edits just to disable the extra processing done with their shader changes, like the fog, extra bloom, and instagram blue filter.

Fog/smoke removal was bannable, because it negated the downside to the horseman event. I remember like 2 weeks to a month after the horseman first came out, they said they were banning shaders, essentially "because" they removed the fog downside.

Though I do agree, to remove the cruddy blue filter, you had to use a shader. No clue about extra processing tho.

20 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Fog/smoke removal was bannable, because it negated the downside to the horseman event. I remember like 2 weeks to a month after the horseman first came out, they said they were banning shaders, essentially "because" they removed the fog downside.

Though I do agree, to remove the cruddy blue filter, you had to use a shader. No clue about extra processing tho.

Clouds have dynamic shadows that can't be disabled in game or with the config files. Part of the fog shader calculations aren't needed for the horseman event.

• Like 1