Erised

i need a new pc D:

I haven't had a computer in over 3 years (i keep exploding power supplies, no idea how...) and I suck at console gaming but I can't seem to get rid of the want/need to play this damn game. Can anyone point me in the direction of a **cheap** (no more than 500 USD if possible) pc that can run APB? Pleassssseeeee, i wanna come back 😞

i'd say look for something in the 2014-2016 range.

i got a 2014 PC (Acer ATC-220-EW61) for around 100$ and it can run APB at around 30-50 fps while using the advanced launcher. it's not the best, but 100$ is a great deal to make a game playable imo.

of course, thats only if you want to be cheap like me. 

Edited by Helix Reloaded

Where do I look for something like that? I mean, I googled gaming pcs and what I got was no where near what I want to spend and the ones that were cheaper I had no idea how to tell if they can run this or not.

Hey, if you're willing to learn how (or if you know somebody who can do it for you), I'd recommending building a PC. You'll get more out of your money and usually get more reliable parts anyway.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

That website is a fantastic place to start. It gives price tiers with parts that are considered best for the cost and are guaranteed to be compatible together. You'll want either Entry or Fair price range (I'd recommend going to fair at least). You can also get advice from others on PC Building Subreddits.

ASSUMING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT, though, https://www.pugetsystems.com/ is recommended by LI and apparently are good for the money. However, you'd be forgiven for going to IBuyPower or Alienware or some other 3rd Party Builder (but be prepared to spend far more money than what the parts are worth).

2 minutes ago, Erised said:

Where do I look for something like that? I mean, I googled gaming pcs and what I got was no where near what I want to spend and the ones that were cheaper I had no idea how to tell if they can run this or not.

Where are you from my friend? Eventually i can help you out.... send me a pm pls

Also, if you're having problems with exploding power supplies, I'd recommend getting compressed air and cleaning your PC out regularly. Also look into the ventilation of your computer and your room, as well as if your computer is connected with a good surge protector. 

39 minutes ago, Erised said:

(i keep exploding power supplies, no idea how...)

Your electric current from the outlet might be too inconsistent or the wrong voltage for your power supply. Buy a power supply that matches the voltage of your outlet and make sure it has an uninterrupted power supply.

Edit: by explode, do you mean that it just dies, or does it actually catch fire or something?

Edited by Xnetexe
  • Like 1

Building your own PC might be better don't know how the prices are in your country but custom build here is way cheaper.

Only thing is getting a good GPU nowadays can be quite expensive thanks to the cryptominers.

What I would suggest is wait till you can spend more then 500 USD and get something decent that you can use for some years to come. 

7 hours ago, Erised said:

I haven't had a computer in over 3 years (i keep exploding power supplies, no idea how...) and I suck at console gaming but I can't seem to get rid of the want/need to play this damn game. Can anyone point me in the direction of a **cheap** (no more than 500 USD if possible) pc that can run APB? Pleassssseeeee, i wanna come back 😞

If you have a  PS4 id be happy to teach you some things to get you started and Give you 100k and good car so you can start with your feet on the ground 😄

7 hours ago, Xnetexe said:

Your electric current from the outlet might be too inconsistent or the wrong voltage for your power supply. Buy a power supply that matches the voltage of your outlet and make sure it has an uninterrupted power supply.

Edit: by explode, do you mean that it just dies, or does it actually catch fire or something?

I have had 2 power supplies actually catch fire, but that was in our old home that we now know had electric issues so im hoping to avoid that in the future. 😛

7 hours ago, YumaKirosaki said:

Hey, if you're willing to learn how (or if you know somebody who can do it for you), I'd recommending building a PC. You'll get more out of your money and usually get more reliable parts anyway.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

That website is a fantastic place to start. It gives price tiers with parts that are considered best for the cost and are guaranteed to be compatible together. You'll want either Entry or Fair price range (I'd recommend going to fair at least). You can also get advice from others on PC Building Subreddits.

ASSUMING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT, though, https://www.pugetsystems.com/ is recommended by LI and apparently are good for the money. However, you'd be forgiven for going to IBuyPower or Alienware or some other 3rd Party Builder (but be prepared to spend far more money than what the parts are worth).

Thank you Yuma, you're still nice. ❤️ I can build my own, I am not a complete failure in this department. This is super helpful.

2 hours ago, AlexandraTromp said:

Building your own PC might be better don't know how the prices are in your country but custom build here is way cheaper.

Only thing is getting a good GPU nowadays can be quite expensive thanks to the cryptominers.

What I would suggest is wait till you can spend more then 500 USD and get something decent that you can use for some years to come. 

How much would you think I would need to spend? Id rather buy something I can upgrade slowly than blow a huge chunk right away. My last two computers cost me over 2k and I really don't see myself paying that again.

1 hour ago, alcholism said:

If you have a  PS4 id be happy to teach you some things to get you started and Give you 100k and good car so you can start with your feet on the ground 😄

While that is nice, I have over 14mil on ps4, plenty of cars...guns..etc. I do fairly well (i guess?) But ill never be able to play ps4 like I can PC. Plus the ps4 version was pretty unplayable the last time I logged in. 😕

Building a pc isn't a bad idea, some older hardware is still competitive, and priced exceptionally well.

I wouldn't recommend buying some older processors at certain prices. (I have an AMD A8 6600k Black Edition, I paid $99 USD brand new... Amazon has a new one for over $400)

However, you can find some good parts and bargain prices if you look hard enough. Try the Pentium G3xxx something something, I've heard it's a great budget CPU. If you're team green, a GTX 1050 is always a good choice for a budget system. Team red, I'd say an RX 550 or 560 is a great idea, good performance for the money.

8GB of ram is probably recommended, but if you can't afford that, don't go less than 4gb. 2x4GB sticks shouldn't be expensive. A cheap case will do you good ($40 for my case back in 2013, Zalman Z9) I got a Corsair CX 600 PSU, and it's been going strong so far.

Find any decent motherboard that will support your processor, and you'll be good to go.

27 minutes ago, Erised said:

How much would you think I would need to spend? Id rather buy something I can upgrade slowly than blow a huge chunk right away. My last two computers cost me over 2k and I really don't see myself paying that again.

Well I don't know if you can salvage some of your old hardware I would definitely start with buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM if your current GPU still works I would transfer it to your new computer since that is gonna be your biggest cost and might wanna invest in.

I've build my PC just a month ago and it cost me around 550 euro's and this is what I bought:

- AMD Ryzen 2600x

- Kingston 8GB 2,666Mhz

- Be Quiet! Computer Case

- Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming

I placed my old GPU and Power Supply to my new computer.

in case you do need a new GPU at least here in the Netherlands a decent one cost you around 300 and a good one 500 euro's.

Shouldn't be that much of a difference in the US so I would estimate between 1000-1300 USD for everything and around 500-600 to start with (if your GPU is salvageable) and upgrade slowly.

I honestly prefer old technology over the modern stuff at this time, considering BitCoin and other virtual currency has taken such a huge toll on the computer market (RAM & GPU price spikes). For comparison though, before I bit the bullet to upgrade this is what I used to run APB on.

Old Set-up

CPU: i5 3570k OC @ 3.8ghz

GPU: GTX 960 2 GB DDR4 VRAM

RAM: 8GB of DDR3 - 1333mhz

Plus the PSU, MOBO, and HDD, this was around 650 to build 3 years ago. Now since older i5's are hard to find for market price (>$150) I would recommend looking for something newer in this department or taking a risk finding one used. I did buy mine used, and it lasted me 3 more years before I decided to get something a little better. The i5 3570k is honestly still a usable processor today for gaming. I had no issues running Battlefield 1 or anything on Frostbite or Unreal with destructible environments. Running APB on this was steady 60 frames, only thing that lacked was the GPU with weird textures and rendering issues at some points. It would still be a good option for APB today. 

New Set-up

CPU: i7 3770k OC @ 3.8ghz 

GPU: GTX 1070ti 8 GB DDR5 VRAM

RAM: 12GB of DDR3 - 1333mhz

Nothing really changed here besides my GPU since the GTX 960 was starting to lack in performance, so I bit the bullet and bought a new GTX 1070ti. No regrets in doing so by the way, its a great card. The game runs amazing since my "upgrade" (basically I got a hand me down PC from my buddy since he went to AMD with the new Ryzens). 

Really though, you don't need a top end computer to run APB, the 500 dollar budget you suggest is easy. I would recommend a newer i3, since they are much better than before, especially on single core performance (which APB only runs off 1 CPU core I believe). A mediocre GPU will get you buy as well, such as like a GTX 960 or even GTX 1060 if you find room in your budget. 8 GB of RAM will get you by, but if you're like me, you need 32 GB because you never close background programs. 😜 Also as stated before, make sure your voltages are correct which could lead to the issue of your PSU's exploding. Also make sure you're getting a large enough PSU to cover the power you need for your computer to properly run. I never buy below a 750w PSU becuase I'm a paranoid silly person who always likes to have give room with stuff like that. Also a surge protector is a must. Update yours because older ones tend to go bad overtime. (learnt that the hard way).  

37 minutes ago, BuckyTheBronco said:

I honestly prefer old technology over the modern stuff at this time, considering BitCoin and other virtual currency has taken such a huge toll on the computer market (RAM & GPU price spikes). For comparison though, before I bit the bullet to upgrade this is what I used to run APB on.

Old Set-up

CPU: i5 3570k OC @ 3.8ghz

GPU: GTX 960 2 GB DDR4 VRAM

RAM: 8GB of DDR3 - 1333mhz

Plus the PSU, MOBO, and HDD, this was around 650 to build 3 years ago. Now since older i5's are hard to find for market price (>$150) I would recommend looking for something newer in this department or taking a risk finding one used. I did buy mine used, and it lasted me 3 more years before I decided to get something a little better. The i5 3570k is honestly still a usable processor today for gaming. I had no issues running Battlefield 1 or anything on Frostbite or Unreal with destructible environments. Running APB on this was steady 60 frames, only thing that lacked was the GPU with weird textures and rendering issues at some points. It would still be a good option for APB today. 

New Set-up

CPU: i7 3770k OC @ 3.8ghz 

GPU: GTX 1070ti 8 GB DDR5 VRAM

RAM: 12GB of DDR3 - 1333mhz

Nothing really changed here besides my GPU since the GTX 960 was starting to lack in performance, so I bit the bullet and bought a new GTX 1070ti. No regrets in doing so by the way, its a great card. The game runs amazing since my "upgrade" (basically I got a hand me down PC from my buddy since he went to AMD with the new Ryzens). 

Really though, you don't need a top end computer to run APB, the 500 dollar budget you suggest is easy. I would recommend a newer i3, since they are much better than before, especially on single core performance (which APB only runs off 1 CPU core I believe). A mediocre GPU will get you buy as well, such as like a GTX 960 or even GTX 1060 if you find room in your budget. 8 GB of RAM will get you by, but if you're like me, you need 32 GB because you never close background programs. 😜 Also as stated before, make sure your voltages are correct which could lead to the issue of your PSU's exploding. Also make sure you're getting a large enough PSU to cover the power you need for your computer to properly run. I never buy below a 750w PSU becuase I'm a paranoid silly person who always likes to have give room with stuff like that. Also a surge protector is a must. Update yours because older ones tend to go bad overtime. (learnt that the hard way).  

Super helpful info, I might bite the bullet and try and buy a used one with a good CPU and try and upgrade from there. After reading your comment I went browse and a lot of local people are selling their gaming systems fairly cheap. Also, I always use a surge protector and my psu was never below 850w. Im guessing a voltage issue like mentioned is what was going on.

If it's something new I would try to get a Ryzen APU, you get Coffee Lake i3-tier performance with a free GPU basically, and you can also overclock. I recommend getting high quality RAM for Ryzen, not only as a general rule, but also if you want to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 with dedicated GPU down the line.  A build such as this one should give excellent performance on APB with a little bit of tweaking:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WnfQdX

The RAM is sort of overkill for this budget, but since integrated graphics use RAM it will be a noticeable bottleneck to go with 2400 and/or 8GB.

Edited by Lyfeld

Get an i3-7100 + GTX 1050 build. That's bang for your buck at 500$ and lower. Everything incl. RAM, mobo, HD should be at or slightly above 500. If you want a specific min-maxed build PM me.

2 hours ago, Lyfeld said:

If it's something new I would try to get a Ryzen APU, you get Coffee Lake i3-tier performance with a free GPU basically, and you can also overclock. I recommend getting high quality RAM for Ryzen, not only as a general rule, but also if you want to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 with dedicated GPU down the line.  A build such as this one should give excellent performance on APB with a little bit of tweaking:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WnfQdX

The RAM is sort of overkill for this budget, but since integrated graphics use RAM it will be a noticeable bottleneck to go with 2400 and/or 8GB.

Never heard of this before now, definitely gonna look into it thanks!

1 hour ago, SLICKIEM said:

Get an i3-7100 + GTX 1050 build. That's bang for your buck at 500$ and lower. Everything incl. RAM, mobo, HD should be at or slightly above 500. If you want a specific min-maxed build PM me.

Thank you! 😄