numlockcapslock

RTX 3080 Performance

Hey guys! 

Recently got a 3080, and I have a 3900x paired with that. But I’m facing a problem where the FPS isn’t running that good.

In Asylum I manage about 120 at max, where it’s not even consistent. All tho Baylan it’s 144, but then again not really that consistent.

Is there anything I could do other than the usual graphics and stuff? If you have a 3080, please let me know how your game playes.

Hi! You should list the rest of your PC specs as well.

9 minutes ago, Aeronaut said:

Hi! You should list the rest of your PC specs as well.

AMD 3900x - RTX 3080 Strix OC - ASUS ROG Strix X570E - G-SKILL TridentZ 32GB 3600Mhz (4x8) - NZXT Kraken X52 - Corsair RM850x - Samsung 970Evo Nvme 1TB (APB on that disk) - Samsung 850 SATA  SSD - Corsair MP510 Nvme 250GB (OS) - 1TB WD Black 

Edited by numlockcapslock

Try turning off HUD while in Asylum. If the framerate increases, it's just APB being unoptimized and there's not much you can do. With a GTX 1080, I get about a 20fps increase in Asylum when on a full team with HUD off vs on.

Make sure the card is running at it's highest clock speed while APB is running. APB is not graphics intensive. By default, modern GPUs drop to their lowest clock speed when under low load. If it is dropping, try changing power management mode in the Nvidia control panel to Prefer maximum performance. If that does not work, you'll need to use MSI Afterburner set a custom power plan to lock the card clock speed while playing APB.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

CPU matters more than GPU

Game is so old that integrated AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 can run it well enough, that's even stronger than recommended cards 8800GT and HD4830.

Edited by xHenryman90x

7 hours ago, numlockcapslock said:

Hey guys! 

Recently got a 3080, and I have a 3900x paired with that. But I’m facing a problem where the FPS isn’t running that good.

In Asylum I manage about 120 at max, where it’s not even consistent. All tho Baylan it’s 144, but then again not really that consistent.

Is there anything I could do other than the usual graphics and stuff? If you have a 3080, please let me know how your game playes.

the game is just old and not optimized for new cpu's gpus'

That's just classic Garbage Collection (every 60secs) or this game being old that was never designed to go over 120fps. I am on a 3950x + 1080 Ti and I don't see a constant 144fps either unless it's very specific spots or with barely any people around. This is purely by how the game is designed for back in the day and it's age.

Seeing you're also on a 3900x which isn't a very amazing IPC compared to the new gen 5900x for example. APB Benefits a lot from Instructions Per Clock performance numbers.  GHz on the CPU can also help in making APB render the frames faster and more frequent.

11 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

Try turning off HUD while in Asylum. If the framerate increases, it's just APB being unoptimized and there's not much you can do. With a GTX 1080, I get about a 20fps increase in Asylum when on a full team with HUD off vs on.

Make sure the card is running at it's highest clock speed while APB is running. APB is not graphics intensive. By default, modern GPUs drop to their lowest clock speed when under low load. If it is dropping, try changing power management mode in the Nvidia control panel to Prefer maximum performance. If that does not work, you'll need to use MSI Afterburner set a custom power plan to lock the card clock speed while playing APB.

does locking clock speed with MSI afterburner helps with fps?? My gtx 1650 super runs apb at like 490mhz instead of 1890.

6 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

does locking clock speed with MSI afterburner helps with fps?? My gtx 1650 super runs apb at like 490mhz instead of 1890.

Change in Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> APB: All Points Bulletin" the Power Management mode to Prefer max performance.

Sounds like it is stuck in running in idle mode.

4 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

Change in Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> APB: All Points Bulletin" the Power Management mode to Prefer max performance.

Sounds like it is stuck in running in idle mode.

it's already in "prefer max performance" :S

It used to run APB in like 1530mhz but some of the new patches of NVIDIA fucked it up...

If possible, I would like to lock it at 1890mhz (when playing apex legends or warzone, it goes up to 1900mhz).

Edited by Uhtdred

16 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

it's already in "prefer max performance" :S

It used to run APB in like 1530mhz but some of the new patches of NVIDIA fucked it up...

If possible, I would like to lock it at 1890mhz (when playing apex legends or warzone, it goes up to 1900mhz).

GPU Boost does this for you on the nvidia cards, well within spec or limits. Keep in mind though that APB doesn't do a lot of tasks on the GPU, APB's performance favours CPU more then anything.

You can't force an application to do something it's not designed to do.

16 minutes ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

GPU Boost does this for you on the nvidia cards, well within spec or limits. Keep in mind though that APB doesn't do a lot of tasks on the GPU, APB's performance favours CPU more then anything.

You can't force an application to do something it's not designed to do.

But i never understood why I ran apb at 1530mhz (stock gaming speed) for months and now I have to "accept" nvidia wants me to run the game at 490mhz.

meanwhile i'm playing apex legends and warzone at 1900mhz, 1920x1080.

5 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

But i never understood why I ran apb at 1530mhz (stock gaming speed) for months and now I have to "accept" nvidia wants me to run the game at 490mhz.

Something seems to be wrong that doesn't give the GPU the impression that it needs to allocate resources and thus up the clock speed. I can't exactly give you a 1 stop solution as it could be a variation of issues with accompanied solutions.

Just now, Uhtdred said:

it just works.

You should be happy the game runs at all on an RTX card

This game has 0 benefit from a high end GPU. Only if you upgrade from IGPU. I can downgrade from a 1070 to a 750 ti and have 0 loss in performance.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, Gateron said:

This game has 0 benefit from a high end GPU. Only if you upgrade from IGPU. I can downgrade from a 1070 to a 750 ti and have 0 loss in performance.

I went from an RX 590 to an RTX 2070 with noticeable improvement*.

*Except for those vertex crashes.

Edited by tucsonfeuer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

Something seems to be wrong that doesn't give the GPU the impression that it needs to allocate resources and thus up the clock speed. I can't exactly give you a 1 stop solution as it could be a variation of issues with accompanied solutions.

It's how boost technology functions currently. 10 years ago, the GPU would lock itself to the max clock rate if a 3D application was open, and go back to idle when the app closed. Nowadays, it goes by load, which is a terrible way to do it, because the GPU does not know when it's going to get a high usage spike. I can't say if that's the issue with OP, but it's something I always recommend to check. I've had it happen too many times with various hardware from both AMD and Nvidia.

4 hours ago, Gateron said:

With the advanced launcher, sure. With no custom configs, a GTX 780 stutters if you fill too much of the screen with particles, like looking closely at the spray paint clouds, walking through exploded vehicle smoke, or getting shot by an NFAS. It's not a GPU issue though, it's that the unreal engine 3 is not optimized for overlaying hundreds of particles, but the old APB devs ignored that limitation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

It's how boost technology functions currently. 10 years ago, the GPU would lock itself to the max clock rate if a 3D application was open, and go back to idle when the app closed. Nowadays, it goes by load, which is a terrible way to do it, because the GPU does not know when it's going to get a high usage spike. I can't say if that's the issue with OP, but it's something I always recommend to check. I've had it happen too many times with various hardware from both AMD and Nvidia.

With the advanced launcher, sure. With no custom configs, a GTX 780 stutters if you fill too much of the screen with particles, like looking closely at the spray paint clouds, walking through exploded vehicle smoke, or getting shot by an NFAS. It's not a GPU issue though, it's that the unreal engine 3 is not optimized for overlaying hundreds of particles, but the old APB devs ignored that limitation.

Yes, it works as intended but if there is a 3D load and the GPU stays in idle clock speeds then there is something wrong with either the application or driver.
Explosives are just hefty on the single core/thread performance where it hiccups the game just like the current 60secs Garbage Collection Dump hiccup.

9 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

Should I try to put to GPU and CPU at like 70-80 procent at all times?