NEVKE

Low fps on high end pc

Recently i got myself a 3070 and after playing other games like cyberpunk, etc. with great experience and fps, furthermore, I launched APB and my fps are really bad if not worse than on my old 970.

Options doesn't matter and GPU utilization on their highest peaks reach 22-25% Is there anything what I can do about it?

My full specs

i7-9700k 5.0ghz oc

3070 gaming x trio

16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz

nvme ssd 1tb

on that spec of a system this shouldnt be happening. 

i would put it to conflict, did you use DDU to do a clean driver install? also unistall/install the game for your new card?    

I would also be cautious if you have installed your card into a system with an old os install from prior lower gen cards like the 970, see the forum thread here about RTX

Cyberpunk etc newer games will use the latest dx12 to run, APB is still using older dx9+ to run,  read the thread. 

I used DDU and I even have installed win10 again and got same results. The main problem is with this weird 1sec lags that are random. Some people said that it's happening when players are joining the district.

Thanks for reply.

3 hours ago, NEVKE said:

I used DDU and I even have installed win10 again and got same results. The main problem is with this weird 1sec lags that are random. Some people said that it's happening when players are joining the district.

Thanks for reply.

Yeah , so I previously said in one of my other thread posts, (cant find it now) but when joining A) server B) missions  your system has to receive and process data. 

Something like this (not perfect dont quote me) 

APBR client (you) Request to server > All client character profiles  for joining server (ip) Eu1 (example)

>      [ character customisations - body styles - hair - make up - tattoos - clothing outfits - clothing modifications + colours + decals + player stats]

>   [ Character Vehicles ALL. - customisations + paint + decals ]

>   [character music profiles - custom music + for kill sound track etc]

>  [extra profile contents - Graffiti art work ]

> All client locations in/on map by co-ordinates + mission/activity_status_ 

>    Server Requests packets from each client to confirm 

>         Server recieves packets and then has to redistribute packets to clients (this is done at server for security instead of p2p) 

>       Client (you) recieves packets and unpacks info, but also has to send new updated packet.

>   Process restarts - 

this how ever has its issues, someone with a bad connection or connecting to eu from west coast california can slow this process and causes delays/packetloss etc, people attempting to use laggers also effects this, were the server is having to request multiple times until arguement is made to drop packet request or disconnect client. 

This data is stored in "assetcache" and should be automatically cleared on close of your game. always worth checking your assetcache folder is empty. 

to my knowledge the game 5 years (ish) back used to try and pre render all characters before you see/interact with them. these days there is a delay, believe this is "if" you are passing them you dont need to load them, unless argument states they are within a set zone for set time  around your character view = show client profiles. 

problem with this is its a lot of information for an old game  to process regardless of how good your machine is, I think it still only uses max quad with 8 threads.. ? (id have to double check this when i next load it as i run 8core 16 thread),, unfortunately code = game engines, do not get quicker/better as hardware does. unless they are re -written to do so or to fit the new hardware. 

more noticeable when you receive oppo as "i believe" the game prioritises and pre loads/renders all characters in your current/active mission".  

so bigger issue here is the game then says to your system, i need to load all these assists NOW.. load X amount of files from cache or install = send to graphics and sound right as you get the sound and mission activation. 

where this really goes wrong is when 3 things make this worse, someone joins the server and within the first few seconds  are put in a mission, bad connection causes packet loss / delay or they are trying to run the game on a machine that cant run the game,  the last 2 together is the most common. 

But your original post and thread topic was about Low FPS in game, not 1 second lag spikes,.. 

Another thing to keep in mind is your installation location, sounds silly, il briefly explain, 

windows 10 defender, Antimalware and uac plus all the other bits that work hard to keep your C drive safe dont really care about games. they say they do. always worth checking your game is not being limited by 3rd party apps. 

so thats why installing your games to a secondary location (hdd or ssd) is better providing its set as a secondary additional storage, the drive will still be checked by all the above but will not be treated with the same high level access requirements, This should/could stop any issues were msw10 is for some reason flagging or stopping your game from running smooth. 

I personally run APB R Laucher  and APB R Game with UAC requirements, you can check yours search under "user account control settings" 

Also worth checking the "RTX sereies" thread i mention setting up a m3d profiles , aprofile for apb, setting the card  and game to performance in options helps and some other bits.  3k cards are beasts for this game, you can easily run the game in high and set card to run the game in performance mode with out it breaking a swet.  my EVGA XC3 Ultra sits around 40% load and doesnt get close to 50c without turning on the fans 🤷‍♂️..

Edited by Sgt Drayke
  • Like 1

Check your GPU core clock while in game. If it's below 1500Mhz then it's GPU Boost dropping your clock, and you'll need to manually lock it with EVGA precision X, or use the precision X skin in MSI afterburner to get Kboost working on non EVGA GPUs.

3 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

Check your GPU core clock while in game. If it's below 1500Mhz then it's GPU Boost dropping your clock, and you'll need to manually lock it with EVGA precision X, or use the precision X skin in MSI afterburner to get Kboost working on non EVGA GPUs.

🤔 .. Interesting, iv heard people speak about this with other games and around work but know one has actually given hard evidence this is a real thing?

Not to challenge your knowledge, help me understand the logic to this.. I can understand that a "bottleneck" of information or "hardware / software stutter"  situation can happen if it drops too low.  but we would be talking below 10% of which windows alone is the 10% .. but then we are in the realms of system stability of your hardware and os thinks the gpu is faulty/unstable this can cause the system to "temporally stop the card"  or worse case the computer.  

I Ran some random test and screen grabbed my character idle and then moving with explosion to simulate a "load" obviously in an ideal test there would also be a mission and other players, its late I'm not going to do that test right now. 

Only big difference is my game is running window and stable - ref the other topic about rtx and how . but i was curious if i can make it unstable below the "1500mhz" .

This is Idle standing around. for a few minutes people joined the server and left.  

4f88e2c76e48bd0351bfa330cf5d13c7c0577a37

This was the "load test" again few minutes of jumping around firing grenades off and shooting civies. 

f95a089cfe43d5c4fb25723d7cd2d593ac6610a0

Edited by Sgt Drayke

Hi @NEVKE  sorry for the late "get back" .. finally made it down my list of things to check/test... I made a note about ssd.

A long time ago when 120gb ssd's cost £150+ i remember running apb on ssd and it didn't like it. so I copied/mirrored the entire game from my secondary HDD (physical 4tb 3.5 Hard Disk sata III  ) to my Secondary SSD ( 1tb 2.5 solid state Sata III ) .   This would seem irrelevant  right.. wrong.  APB does fall into that category of older games. given that its core code is 11+ years old.. 

Conclusion for me ( I have only tested this on 1 of my ssd's and it wasn't an clean install of the game, just mirror) the game was unstable. 

Although my FPS was at 60, it was dropping sporadically to 35, 46, 55.. never really below 30.  and i tried everything to solve this ingame. Not modifying the game files or system. 

bit of background info, all of my SSD's and HDDs are listed as AHCI for sataIII , (this is in the mobo) don't change this if you are unsure , if you do it can cause system os to become unstable.  for the sake of testing i copied my attempted in game settings of stability - Nearest possible, back to my HDD version that is flawless, and it ran fine. not at best but fine..   

After some research this is a known issue with older games and Apps. and falls into the category of . 

"some software applications become too out dated with lack of update support or simply core code that can not be updated to suit modern hardware" 

This actually surprised me and goes to show testament of how long this game has been running. 🤔 11+ years we are talking pre BF3, .  at modern warfare 2 times haha. 

not to say this is your issue, But. if you want to try .. and  youv got an old Sata III HDD be it 3.5 or even 2.5 (laptop)  doesnt need to be big, can be 120gb that you can connect in, set it as secondary GPT. create a folder tree like : 

Steam/SteamApps/Common/ *APB Reloaded*   and mirror/copy your game into this directory. then simply rename your original apb install location to "bk_ APB Reloaded" or similar. this will cause steam to not recognise your original install, then you can "un-install from steam " this will not delete your original install, you can then "install game" and select your new hdd directory, steam will automatically detect and setup. . 👍     to revert this you can simply uninstall the game in steam, revert original game location name back, and install - locate directory again. 

I have no idea why Applications or games can not work with ssds. its out of my depth. but i have had issues with other Dx9 & below titles, retro etc. why I still run a 4tb sataIII HDD 😂

All the best. 

Edit added  = Thinking more about it.. this is odd. as i know a few people running the game on ssds. just another random hurdle in the games life span. 

Edited by Sgt Drayke
  • Thanks 1

I've had a long break from the game, but now I'm coming back to it, and I'll try to get some HDD to test it for myself. If it comes to third-party launchers I never really messed with these, since on live streams I saw that APB looks awful while using an advanced launcher.

Also, I wonder if the new engine update would fix problems with the newest hardware.

I'm really thankful for all of your help and effort in solving my problem.

i'm to lazy to read and understand all of the text here. but apb isnt made to run on newer hardware i think it has the same issues as fallout 3 and new vegas were there meant for 32 system and parts so 64 bits cuases more lag and stutters then an increase keep that in mind before you balls to the walls and blow up your fancy pc for this game 

One thing I forget to ask before. Make sure your RAM is running at 3000mhz. Enable XMP and select the 3000Mhz profile in your BIOS.

APB performs best on an SSD. An HDD will have worse loading times. I run APB on a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe. Avg fps is over 100fps, with dips into the 80s when there's 20+ players crammed together in mission districts. With your hardware you should be getting the same or better.

I still get those 1s stutters. They're impossible to get rid of with the current game. It's a side effect of APB being 32 bit. It can only use 3.5GB of RAM. It has to clear out unused resources when that limit is reached, which causes the stutter. It's slowly gotten worse over the years with the added content.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, NEVKE said:

Options doesn't matter and GPU utilization on their highest peaks reach 22-25% Is there anything what I can do about it?

You have a 3070 video card and it is redundant for apb, you will not load it in this game

7 hours ago, PANTHER74 said:

You have a 3070 video card and it is redundant for apb, you will not load it in this game

I know that it's a overkill but I still can play the game. Yes, it crashes constantly once per hour or so, but still it's playable. I had better experience on my 970 though, but it's not efficient to change my card just for apb when I play other games too.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:56 AM, PANTHER74 said:

200.webp

On 6/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, NEVKE said:

I know that it's a overkill but I still can play the game. Yes, it crashes constantly once per hour or so, but still it's playable. I had better experience on my 970 though, but it's not efficient to change my card just for apb when I play other games too.

970 nice little card, used to run a ref980sc . so i get how nice it felt to go from 9 series to rtx3k haha .  like a 500% gain. lol

so you can "mimic"  through profiles which iv dribbled on about in other topics.  sounds to me youv got it stable to  a crash in an hour. not perfect but playable.  

unfortunately with the rtx cards its lottery, be it manufacture and then actual build spec(parts) plus the ability to either have the nvidia boost or manufactures boost features enabled.  EVGA is my preferred.   the nv boost is nice.  for me i have EVGA boost lock off . but i also dont set my gpu to Max performace all the time. i only use profiles and create a new one for every game/application. so some games like apb are on "normal" were as if im playing new games its on "max" , if im editing il have it "adaptive" in other areas.  

There is no point having your 3k at max + boost .  the game just wont be stable. 

DM me your setup. 

@Amayii this is resolved can move it. been in convo with @NEVKE via discord.

NVc Profile fixed his issues , on rtx3070 game now running max graphics @ 1440FS with fps 100+ , "lag" drops are few between but that's currently normal for all.

👍

45 minutes ago, Sgt Drayke said:

@Amayii this is resolved can move it. been in convo with @NEVKE via discord.

NVc Profile fixed his issues , on rtx3070 game now running max graphics @ 1440FS with fps 100+ , "lag" drops are few between but that's currently normal for all.

👍

I salute to u sir...:) for all the effort from beginning to the end... i play on a ryzen vega 8 graphics and am happy with the 57 to 60 fps...:) 

Edited by Theronguard
adding
  • Like 1