MattScott

Recent network issues

Hi all,

Β 

It's been a while since I have had to address this, but recently we have had some significant network issues.

Β 

First, a couple days ago, our provider had an emergency maintenance to replace and move equipment around for our game. It's unfortunate we didn't get more warning, but sometimes we are at the mercy of other companies and their schedules.Β 

Β 

Second, and more important, we have had some bad network latency in the game. This is NOT our servers or a performance issue. This is due to an extended series of DDoS attacks that began whenΒ we announced the Open Beta for today. From the network graph below, you can see that we are consistently getting attacked for between 150 gigabits and 200 gigabits with the occasional spike up to 250 or 300 gigabits. These are big attacks. They take special rules to mitigate, and the attackers keep shifting the form of attack to make things more difficult. It's a shame. We're just trying to ship this new engine. Hopefully we will keep things smooth today, because these sorts of attacks skew our results and make it nearly impossible to finish the network optimization.

image.png

Β 

Sorry,
Matt

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Really sucks people are doing this criminal felony against a video game, it does not seem worth it to me.

• Like 3

Imagine, a game with a super small community, with new devs who are trying their hardest to make the game into something great. And some salty 20 year old who played back in 2014 is trying to ruin the game and development for everyone.

They must be the scum you scrape off you're boots after walking through a disease ridden swamp.

Thanks Matt for informing the community about this as not informing would have had detrimental effects onΒ how people view the game in it's all ready low moral state.

Β 

• Like 1

That's insane, not only it's terribly sad to do such a thing, but the amount of equipment necessary to do such a big DDOS is insane,

Β 

Like you either have a fleet of hacked pc's around the world, or have access to some very high end servers.

Β 

Whoever is doing this, it can't be a nobody, that's a guy dedicating his life towards his hatred for APB

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 1

DDOSing an open beta?

DXR7i2g.gif

Well, hopefully it doesn't negatively impact the beta too much.

Hire a hacker. Get his IP. Punish him, prefably death row.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nagletz said:

Hire a hacker. Get his IP. Punish him, prefably death row.

Pretty sure that's not legal either.

They're probably taking legal steps where they can, but we may never hear the final result of it.

Just now, Kevkof said:

Pretty sure that's not legal either.

They're probably taking legal steps where they can, but we may never hear the final result of it.

If it's well done, we won't know either..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While this may suck, take it as an opportunity to strengthen your systems.
We cannot NOT expect these kind of misbehavior.

Just wondering, what kind of attack is it? What are the requests sent?
Maybe find a way to prioritize traffic from "established connections" (even though we are using UDP).

Sometimes I wish ISPs would be responsible for authentication of users, and assign us all a static IPs...

1 hour ago, Talla said:

While this may suck, take it as an opportunity to strengthen your systems.
We cannot NOT expect these kind of misbehavior.

Just wondering, what kind of attack is it? What are the requests sent?
Maybe find a way to prioritize traffic from "established connections" (even though we are using UDP).

Sometimes I wish ISPs would be responsible for authentication of users, and assign us all a static IPs...

You know you can't "just" mitigate a 300gig attack right, this requires a very advanced (and expensive) network setup, the source of those attacks probably aren't even aware of what they're doing.

Also reminder apb is a 1000 player game, it's not like they have infinite money to get a 10k/month anti ddos solution

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 2

i feel verry sad to hear that ddos attacks are stil happening to this game.

Β 

stil legal actions against people who do these attacks wil be verry hard to accomplish.

Β 

i personlay would like to know what the gain is from these attacks.

56 minutes ago, Ketog said:

You know you can't "just" mitigate a 300gig attack right, this requires a very advanced (and expensive) network setup, the source of those attacks probably aren't even aware of what they're doing.

Also reminder apb is a 1000 player game, it's not like they have infinite money to get a 10k/month anti ddos solution

The difficulty & scale of the task changes nothing.
If it doesn't happen now, it will happen later on.

The survival of the company & the game is always on the line.
Either you can or can't ensure stable service.

Not advocating for criminals, but do not expect any mercy from them.
Β 

Edited by Talla

8 minutes ago, Talla said:

The survival of the company & the game is always on the line.
Either you can or can't ensure stable service.

You can never ensure that for any service, you can only aim to do the best possible

• Like 2

Some people hate this game so much that they can't just quit and move on, trying to find something else. Yes it is a shame. I really want to see this game shine and hope you can keep fight for this.

2 hours ago, JunoSuzuki said:

Some people hate this game so much that they can't just quit and move on, trying to find something else. Yes it is a shame. I really want to see this game shine and hope you can keep fight for this.

Casual people or hired professionals from some bigger companys with games similar to ours.Dont want to get into conspiracy theories but its always easy for the big ones to step on the little ones..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Casual people or hired professionals from some bigger companys with games similar to ours.Dont want to get into conspiracy theories but its always easy for the big ones to step on the little ones..

To be honest that's not far off from what i thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

hired professionals from some bigger companys with games similar to oursΒ 

Lmfao

Like who?

13 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Lmfao

Like who?

CD Projekt probablyΒ scared of APB taking all their Cyberpunk players...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MrChan said:

CD Projekt probablyΒ scared of APB taking all their Cyberpunk players...

πŸ™‚πŸ˜€πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€¨πŸ˜­

Edited by HighSociety
  • Like 1

My IT knowledge starts and ends with switching the computer on and off,Β I have no clue how this works, however I assume this is a misdeed of someone who is actually an active player, most likely frustrated with the fact there's always someone better in the game. Just recently I witnessed a district chat where people were talking about IP addresses when one of them said something in the following manner: "Okay I am taking this district down" and a couple of minutes later everyone got disconnected. I doubt anyone else (like a competitive company) would do something like this.Β 

It's some sadarse who's been banned a hundred times or so because he thinks he should be allowed cheat.

I wish these kids would just fuck off. if you don't like the game leave it alone and go something else. if you got banned, well you more then likely needed it, if not talk to them and try to prove it was for no reason. (of course that will be hard because LO support team could care less about your issues) and if your upset that fallen earth was shut down stop acting like a twat e should get that back after apb is settled.Β 

seriously game may not be fun now but why ruin a chance at it being fun because your a pissy little child