Easiest

do you think the realease of the new engine will increase the number of players?

On 12/11/2020 at 6:08 AM, LilyRain said:

How many STAR-Players do you see per month?

Few and far between.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:24 AM, Lord Cashpoint said:

A lot, because it is the starter weapon (Hence the name).

The STAR is actually the perfect weapon for new players, as it is a very versatile weapon. It can not only compete at short-medium ranges, but the mechanics of the gun actually help to teach new players about weapon handling in APB (By having the ability to tap fire, burst, full auto and hip fire). The same idea was behind having the SNR 850 as the default secondary - its fast equip time was meant to force new players to realise the utility of a secondary weapon.

Most new players are not struggling because of the weapon load out they have, but rather just how unforgiving the game is to play on a new account with no knowledge. There are so many aspects which put newer players at a disadvantage, whether it be not having access to Clotting Agent immediately, or the bizarre default sensitivity and zoom level a new account starts with.

Pretty much this. Plus the starting sensativities are extremely horrible, first thing i do if I'm trying to help a new player is tell them to change it immediately.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, LilyRain said:

"A lot" is an interesting response. Now how many of those run around with a Calabria, no character mods and possibly no frag-grenades?

If that many new players existed, population numbers wouldn't be so low now, would they?

Btw, the name stands for Somatic Tactical Assault Rifle... not starter-weapon made short.

That is well written but you got convinced about an ideal that under the big picture, completely failed to achieve its desired purpose. That purpose being to "teach new players about weapon handling in APB (By having the ability to tap fire, burst, full auto and hip fire)".

That is the case simply because:

Tap firing » STAR isn't even close to being the best at tap-firing nor a newbie (who doesn't yet realize he/she is using water-guns) would even consider to tap-fire with a fully-automatic rifle. Little they knew real-accuracy is artificial and hit-scan-RNG based. STAR will never compete at tap-firing against an N-tec. Moreover, close-range Players would simply car-gameplay towards the STAR-Newbie and long-rangers will only be tickled and thoroughly massaged by the STAR (which doesn't even have Improved Rifling 1 to make the massage more relaxing) due to APB's logic that will never appeal to other Players than those currently existing.

Bursting » STAR isn't the best at this either and will lose due to its relatively slower rate of fire/time_to_kill and accuracy recovery times.

Full-auto » Yeah, not even close to being the best at that. Pointmen completely blow it out of the water...

Fun fact: Cooling Jacket 3 equipped STAR has a time to kill of 0.7 seconds.. still by far slower than a stock OCA. It gets worse, new players can't install that.. The weapon doesn't accept any mods and the first variant requires 200 kills.

Hip firing » Not with a run modifier of 5... not even close. The Raptor weapons have a run modifier of 2.9 and ultimately are ~50% more accurate at hip-firing and even that isn't practical.. STAR's hipfiring only works when the player is close enough to enemies with weapons specialized in close-range combat, it isn't great at all and when going face-2-face is simply asking to be killed.

Bonus: On top of their superiority at hip-firing, the Raptor series can actually achieve the advertised time_to_kill of 0.75 up to respectable ranges (~40m with Hunting Sight). I mentioned this as both weapons have the same ttk and are assault rifles. The STAR can't do that without sacrificing extra time through bursting/hipfiring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 » The STAR doesn't excel at anything and therefore, doesn't "compete" at anything. It is an all-rounder weapon with no niche whatsoever. At ANY given range, there exist weapons that surpass it and sadly enough, the gap is huge at the ranges that matter most in a match (courtesy of OCA).

2 » Correction: The END-GAME* STAR is versatile* (not "very versatile"), since it can be modded to actually SOMEWHAT compete at a certain aspect if the Player knows what they are doing. Sadly New Players won't know about modding for a good while because they don't start with any mods.. the first STAR they get doesn't accept mods anyways so New-Players won't get to see the effects of mods on an all-rounder weapon would do to carry that knowledge to other weapons later on. A Newbie requires 200 kills at this all-around-disadvantage to unlock the first N-TEC 5 Nol or STAR 556 R&D I. About time.. since the player would've unlocked a Hunting Sight 1 after 50 kills and already gave up on how to plug it in a weapon (assuming they didn't already quit the good-looking game that has over-nonsensical aggressive balance).

Heck, the most accepted idea so far was to give STAR the stats of the FAR Charger since that is basically a slightly buffed STAR and is at much better versatility with better chances.. Even that didn't happen, because 'let us reward players with the FAR for playing at XMAS, obtainable one time per year!'....

Indeed. All these problems are due to the fact that APB's income model partially had its hand delved into game play. 'Pay to skip the grind' affects game-play for Newcomers. Little Orbit succeeded in removing Premium cool-downs for mods but the work is far from finished. New Player experience is horrible without paying at ARMAS or spending weeks in Fight Club.

All those are issues indeed, but that doesn't mean STAR is at a good place that competes in the current weapon state of balance nor it is the perfect weapon for new players. It is in fact the perfect weapon alongside existing limitations and restrictions to tell newbies to play a different game.... This really needs to change, especially with the new engine on the horizon.

Calbria sucks, i'd rather they get a broadwing for Enfs, and possibly something else for crims (van?), it'd fit the theme so much more.

Tap Firing - APB is different from other games regarding accuracy. In other games you just full auto til the enemy is dead most times. APB is unique that it forces you to tap fire. First thing when learning in the tutorial it should teach is that tap firing is better for mid range engagements. But it doesn't, they have to learn from help/observation which is rough. NTEC dominates at tap firing, and has for ages. if nerfed sadly then the Obeya wouldn't have a competitor. The STAR is pretty much equal footing with the FAR when it comes to tap firing. So it's dumb that people go FAR SO GOOD AT THIS, then complain at the star since the only difference accuracy wise is like 13.5 vs 14 and 17.5 vs 18 or something for accuracy and the TTK doesnt matter since it's tap firing.

Bursting - It's actually pretty good at this, it's not the "best" but it's more accurate than the NTEC at bursting at 3-4 bullets. Low recoil helps with it, but it's overlooked.

Full Auto - It's in the same boat as any other full auto rifle when it comes to pointman vs them, however, it's much more accurate than pretty every AR except the FAR in full auto. Best thing to do is ofc corner camp. Soooo

Hip fire - I mean yeah, you only want to hip fire at like 3-5m with the star and its not great at it, but what assault rifle is? Especially with HS3 on it lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may not excel at anything, however that doesn't make it bad. It's well rounded and puts up a good fight in every range. It can easily go toe to toe and doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth when using it (unless you ghost shoot, which happens more for the STAR than other riles....) I'd honestly use the star more when i'm not leveling roles, if it werent for the ghost shooting from it, which happens rather often.

They are too silent for too long now.Like what 10-11 days without news?I hope the next news we get are not that the game is sold once again.Not gonna surprise me..

Edited by TheMessiah

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

They are too silent for too long now.Like what 10-11 days without news?I hope the next news we get are not that the game is sold once again.Not gonna surprise me..

Well. The area around little orbits headquarter is burning to the ground right now. Hope they're alright.

10 minutes ago, JunoSuzuki said:

Well. The area around little orbits headquarter is burning to the ground right now. Hope they're alright.

so its dat ok..

Edited by TheMessiah

apb will be one of the most popular games in the world once the new engine is out

4 hours ago, joasep said:

apb will be one of the most popular games in the world once the new engine is out

Nice joke friend. Very funee laugh.

13 hours ago, joasep said:

When someone starts talking sh*t and you know they have no idea what they're talking about.

13 hours ago, joasep said:

I am actually glad APB has never been, nor ever will be a popular game. 

Smaller communities are always better. 

• Like 1

Considering how badly the new engine is running who knows how many years before it's actually ready. The new engine should run at least at the same performance as the current live one is. If not more players could leave and things would get worse than they currently are

On 12/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, joasep said:

sorry bud if you haven't played during the glory days 2011-2013 > engine update.

Edited by Deadliest

By the way, no info about the new engine since 2 weeks but kk, matt said "at the end of the week i'll post an update" always waiting...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Easiest said:

By the way, no info about the new engine since 2 weeks but kk, matt said "at the end of the week i'll post an update" always waiting...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0UqvSDBrI0Eustm8Sesf

Looks like they was busy around this Unsung Story game lately..

Edited by TheMessiah

On 12/8/2020 at 3:52 AM, Easiest said:

everything in the title just a simple question cause i was talking about that in the district chat a few minutes ago, talking about how apb is dead, if the new engine can revive the game, because actually the new engine take TOO much time to get release.

no

i think apb would have more chance if shutdown and start again under slightly different title,ofc after some changes:

im not concerned enough about it,but i think new engine,better running server,more weapons,slightly different gameplay..like softener(no idea just older games feels simplified) and a competitive mode(based on more ranks ofc,not just leaf,wood and gray yellow).

but would like to see it bloom from this situation too.

I can tell you exactly what's going to happen with the older players who return:

The older players who actually played the game as their main game for any substantial amount of time--they will all return to at least check the game out. Guaranteed, they will do this. All of them. And the reason is simple: underneath all the mess, there truly is something magical about APB that we all have a soft-spot for. I personally think it has to do with the level of customization--you get to make your character your own. And I think that's the key to the whole thing. Without that, APB is nothing special. But because of it, you got to pour your identity into a relatively competent shooter at its core.

But here's the deal.

These players aren't going to stick around. Even if the Engine comes out and it is somehow the best, most well put together piece of programming ever--which it won't be, it'll be a train wreck--they won't stay. They'll say, "Finally. This game can move forward."

The only thing that will make these players stay is if there is substantial new content. These players already have done everything this game has to offer for thousands of hours. I myself have about 2,000 hours in the game. But most of the folks I played with have at least 5,000--some probably around 10,000.

And this "content" I speak of can't just be two more contacts with 10 more Ranks a piece, and maybe a new car and a new gun to unlock with a few new clothes. It will have to be a substantial overhaul. APB will have to embrace a full-on competitive spirit--something that can be interesting to watch on Twitch. The game will basically have to become relevant again. A solid BR is maybe the most accessible option. But it needs a new twist than anything we've seen before. They'll have to look at Warzone as a base, because it provides the best BR experience right now. All the others are just a little too shallow--objective wise--even if their gameplay is decent. And also, above all else, the game's entire Match-Making system will need to be something competent. And probably, the guns will need a serious looking-after. Otherwise, these older players will never stay.

That's just how it is.

More than likely, the upgrade will launch, it will be a nightmare of performance nonsense, and then these players will be lost to LO forever. They'll never get them back. LO basically has one shot. If the upgrade happens, and the game is substantially improved to the point of being actually competent, then they will buy some time. Anything less than that, frankly, they should just cut their losses and close it down. They would be better off developing an entirely new game with an entirely new Brand.

the servers must be combined into a single server. with the new graphics update, hopefully the number of players will double.

10 hours ago, Zascha said:

Pretty much this.

I know all I'm going to do is force myself to get those 10 levels despite how bad the engine update is then go back to sitting on the forums and not actually playing APB.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:35 AM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I know all I'm going to do is force myself to get those 10 levels despite how bad the engine update is then go back to sitting on the forums and not actually playing APB.

Instead of just quitting the game and invest your time into something else you're wasting lifetime into something that you don't enjoy nor care about. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

1 hour ago, JunoSuzuki said:

Instead of just quitting the game and invest your time into something else you're wasting lifetime into something that you don't enjoy nor care about. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Yes.

Also why are you assuming I don't enjoy or care about APB?

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Yes.

Also why are you assuming I don't enjoy or care about APB?

Because of your previous post(s).

3 minutes ago, JunoSuzuki said:

Because of your previous post(s).

If I have still been around this long, it is pretty obvious I care about APB. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

you know what would increase player pop. stop nerfing every single gun to the point that slap someone with a big floppy banana would be more effective 

also engine MAY help but it's mostly doing ads and getting this game on more of a bigger screen, but ATM it's full of the worst people ive ever seen