Easiest

do you think the realease of the new engine will increase the number of players?

While the video is technically for the Beta, the message is the same and one a mass majority of "returning" players will ultimately ignore much to their own and ultimately LO's detriment.

And for proof all we need to do is look back at the player surge that occurred when the games went from G1 to LO. Nothing else happened, just an ownership change, a few legal documents signed and bam massive player influx, all of them somehow expecting APB to have undergone some anime-level transformation overnight, but it was the exactly same game and somehow this everyone else's fault except for those players and their unrealistic expectations.

The Engine Update is step 0 on the pathway to improving APB, not some magical cure-all to every problem ever. But players will still somehow expect that magic cure not matter how many times they're told not to, and LO has an impossible battle in trying to fight those expectations.

2 hours ago, KnifuWaifu said:

While the video is technically for the Beta, the message is the same and one a mass majority of "returning" players will ultimately ignore much to their own and ultimately LO's detriment.

And for proof all we need to do is look back at the player surge that occurred when the games went from G1 to LO. Nothing else happened, just an ownership change, a few legal documents signed and bam massive player influx, all of them somehow expecting APB to have undergone some anime-level transformation overnight, but it was the exactly same game and somehow this everyone else's fault except for those players and their unrealistic expectations.

The Engine Update is step 0 on the pathway to improving APB, not some magical cure-all to every problem ever. But players will still somehow expect that magic cure not matter how many times they're told not to, and LO has an impossible battle in trying to fight those expectations.

I mean if the game can bother to look nice that's fine and dandy. If it performs well, that's fine and dandy as well. I just want LO to make the game more fun than it already is. APB has it's moments, that's why everyone who still plays still plays. LO have already done amazing things when it comes to monetization of the game. I spent enough over the course of 2 years and finally got the AMG loyalty reward. (Might not be comparable to others but it's a lot to me XD)

I want to believe that 2.1 is like APB's fresh start. Wipe away all the wrongs that G1 did and build upon what RTW hoped to achieve.

I feel like part of that duty falls to us, the people who still play the game. To try and be supportive towards the company that is trying to save this dyeing cow.

I absolutely hate it when people just say the game should die already. Those are the people that should stop playing this game. Because if you believe that a game shouldn't be enjoyed by anyone, simply means you're not having fun and you should move on. As many have, which is truly unfortunate, but completely fair.

Yes, Temper your expectations. APB 2.1 is a stepping stone not the holy grail. APB 2.1 is going to be the start of making APB into something worth while and not another GTA clone.

I have my frustrations with LO, but lets be patient and have some faith. When the game dies the game dies. When we all stand around Double-B's spawn watching the counter tick down to it's final moment, those who have wished it can say hurrah. But until, if and when that day comes. Please show this game some love and support.

P.s. If it wasn't already clear this is not pointed directly at who I'm quoting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So long as LO doesnt tackle the big problems that are driving ppl off the new engine wont save the game. Maby well see an influx of ppl for a time but they will leave when they see that everything else is the same and its just a polished turd. If LO doesnt tackle these issues and fix them asap or have a fix in place day 1 this 6 almost 7yr endeavor will be pointless. Also if the playerbase doesnt shape up it will lead down the same road.

1. LO steps up in the fight against cheaters
2. enforcement of the TOS
3. the community actually starts to help others and stops being toxic
4. matchmaking and threat fix to make things not only more accurate but to prevent squash matches
5. actual new content
6. properly balanced weapons

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, R3ACT3M said:

P.s. If it wasn't already clear this is not pointed directly at who I'm quoting.  

And_I_Took_That_Personally.jpg

21 minutes ago, R3ACT3M said:

I absolutely hate it when people just say the game should die already. Those are the people that should stop playing this game. Because if you believe that a game shouldn't be enjoyed by anyone, simply means you're not having fun and you should move on. As many have, which is truly unfortunate, but completely fair.

I'll never understand these people. I get the "I hate this game" thing, I mean I wouldn't be playing if I didn't hate it, but to spend time and energy actively hating on something and wishing its death and then making it their business to proclaim this wherever they go? Just why? Just uninstall, exit the website and the game is officially dead to them, they win and can go play roblox or something.

2 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I want to believe that 2.1 is like APB's fresh start. Wipe away all the wrongs that G1 did and build upon what RTW hoped to achieve.

It won't be imo so much as establishing a solid foundation to build something greater on but APB will always be APB. They're paving the way to better deliver fresh content but I totally think that if someone doesn't enjoy APB as it is right now (hardware/crashes/issues that just prevent play excluded), no amount of Updates is going to help.

• Like 2

Yes. If the performance will be at least the same as live. That's for a short while because without any new content everyone will leave and without some sort of new players protection the game won't grow.

Even everything is well made, lack of marketing will be issue in terms of player base, APB needs ads on steam front page as well as the youtube ads. Maybe even create twitch prime loot boxes to make game realized for new people, not only old veterans.

8 hours ago, Hatsumiku said:

game is currently unplayable to me in districts. i got hiccups from 80 fps to 25 fps in a nearly empty district. it wasn't like this 2 years ago even in a full district. hopefully the new engine would fix these things...

Where are you? In Asia?

Ye for sure, if the new engine comes out, at first we need new contacts (LO already talked about it), the IEM nades, maybe new "WHITE" weapons not some shitty armas reskin, new mods a good weapon balance, everything at the same time, and we'll be good.

9 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

Lot of peoples don't believe in the game anymore, i already saw a bunch of guys sayin' "THE GAME SHOULD DIE BLABLABLA", told'em why they are keep playing the game, and for sure no awnser. Those guys are just pathetic anyway.

8 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

3. the community actually starts to help others and stops being toxic

4. matchmaking and threat fix to make things not only more accurate but to prevent squash matches

Every community are toxic for me and it will never change. Look at the district apb chat, everyone is just toxic and insulting each other.

For the matchmaking APB needs to improve for sure, but the numbers of players need to increase, with the actual pop LO can't make a new one.

I also think LO should focus the new content and not the new engine.

It's pretty obvious that it would bring back players who stopped playing, but that's not the important part. The marketing will decide how many new players APB gets. That's the second most important part. The most important part after the upgrade has to do with APB's historical problem with keeping those new players. If that "new player experience" isn't fixed, marketing will be a loss and it's hard to imagine they could afford that, but APB devs have seemed to be able to make money appear out of thin air for years now considering the low population shouldn't be able to carry a game like that for so long.

Edited by Cr0
  • Like 2

The old 'returning' players will play at first, just to see what the new engine upgrade brings to the table. After playing a few matches they realise that it's still the same toxic community, same bugs and exploits, same closet cheaters and in a rare occasion they'll bump into a GM that isn't willing to take action to the above mentioned when it happens right in front of them. The old 'returning' players will quit playing and the uninstall of APB will be inevitable. And truthfully, I can't blame them.

It will attract a lot of players, that will then be dissapointed on how it runs, due to unrealistic expectations, and then leave again.

No, it really won't. That boat sailed a long time ago.

But it might at least recover some of the lost fanbase. Which is passable till a new project comes along.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, Easiest said:

Every community are toxic for me and it will never change. Look at the district apb chat, everyone is just toxic and insulting each other.

For the matchmaking APB needs to improve for sure, but the numbers of players need to increase, with the actual pop LO can't make a new one.

Some communities are better then others, and theres 0 reason why this community needs to be one of the worst out there. Whoever is still playing obv loves the game and wants to see it live but by being toxic and doing what they are doing they are doing the opposite of that. The number of players wont change so long as the community is like this its part of the problem why pop is so low.

The current coding is all messed up and RTW made the code and didnt share any info with G1 about it. In order to create stuff a new engine and code is needed however LO also needs to find a way to bring ppl back now to warrent the new engine and not shut the game down.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, LilyRain said:

» Players come in after 2.1 goes live «

Player w: Ah, they fixed the new lighting and visuals after those beta-tests, I could look at this all day!

Player x: They sure did, but they didn't fix the actual gameplay issues..

Player y: Yeah.. I thought of inviting my friends to try this game, but they will suffer for a while with only a STAR, a Calabria and no mods of any kind.. I can't do that to my friends or I might lose them.

Player z: Indeed. Weapon balancing is nothing but changing numbers. It doesn't really need a new engine & phasing won't make us enjoy using the 'garbage' weapons.

Player Ω: Maybe they'll realize over-dictating weapon-niches and 'personalities' is not the right way to go. It existed for a decade and never succeeded. Why would it succeed now? It will never appeal to the masses, ever.

Player Σ: Yeah, maybe I'll check again in 2022.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question: Ultimately, no.

While the newer engine going live will spike player counts for a bit, all it does is allow for more potential for improving the game. It doesn't really make the game better on its own.

Star isnt even bad though...

Merged.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, Cr0 said:

It's pretty obvious that it would bring back players who stopped playing, but that's not the important part. The marketing will decide how many new players APB gets. That's the second most important part. The most important part after the upgrade has to do with APB's historical problem with keeping those new players. If that "new player experience" isn't fixed, marketing will be a loss and it's hard to imagine they could afford that, but APB devs have seemed to be able to make money appear out of thin air for years now considering the low population shouldn't be able to carry a game like that for so long.

the devs had other games

6 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Star isnt even bad though...

How many STAR-Players do you see per month?

I don't think yall realize that even game changes won't save APB now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, LilyRain said:

How many STAR-Players do you see per month?

A lot, because it is the starter weapon (Hence the name).

The STAR is actually the perfect weapon for new players, as it is a very versatile weapon. It can not only compete at short-medium ranges, but the mechanics of the gun actually help to teach new players about weapon handling in APB (By having the ability to tap fire, burst, full auto and hip fire). The same idea was behind having the SNR 850 as the default secondary - its fast equip time was meant to force new players to realise the utility of a secondary weapon.

Most new players are not struggling because of the weapon load out they have, but rather just how unforgiving the game is to play on a new account with no knowledge. There are so many aspects which put newer players at a disadvantage, whether it be not having access to Clotting Agent immediately, or the bizarre default sensitivity and zoom level a new account starts with.

1 hour ago, Lord Cashpoint said:

A lot, because it is the starter weapon (Hence the name).

"A lot" is an interesting response. Now how many of those run around with a Calabria, no character mods and possibly no frag-grenades?

If that many new players existed, population numbers wouldn't be so low now, would they?

Btw, the name stands for Somatic Tactical Assault Rifle... not starter-weapon made short.

The STAR is actually the perfect weapon for new players, as it is a very versatile weapon. It can not only compete at short-medium ranges, but the mechanics of the gun actually help to teach new players about weapon handling in APB (By having the ability to tap fire, burst, full auto and hip fire). The same idea was behind having the SNR 850 as the default secondary - its fast equip time was meant to force new players to realise the utility of a secondary weapon.

That is well written but you got convinced about an ideal that under the big picture, completely failed to achieve its desired purpose. That purpose being to "teach new players about weapon handling in APB (By having the ability to tap fire, burst, full auto and hip fire)".

That is the case simply because:

Tap firing » STAR isn't even close to being the best at tap-firing nor a newbie (who doesn't yet realize he/she is using water-guns) would even consider to tap-fire with a fully-automatic rifle. Little they knew real-accuracy is artificial and hit-scan-RNG based. STAR will never compete at tap-firing against an N-tec. Moreover, close-range Players would simply car-gameplay towards the STAR-Newbie and long-rangers will only be tickled and thoroughly massaged by the STAR (which doesn't even have Improved Rifling 1 to make the massage more relaxing) due to APB's logic that will never appeal to other Players than those currently existing.

Bursting » STAR isn't the best at this either and will lose due to its relatively slower rate of fire/time_to_kill and accuracy recovery times.

Full-auto » Yeah, not even close to being the best at that. Pointmen completely blow it out of the water...

Fun fact: Cooling Jacket 3 equipped STAR has a time to kill of 0.7 seconds.. still by far slower than a stock OCA. It gets worse, new players can't install that.. The weapon doesn't accept any mods and the first variant requires 200 kills.

Hip firing » Not with a run modifier of 5... not even close. The Raptor weapons have a run modifier of 2.9 and ultimately are ~50% more accurate at hip-firing and even that isn't practical.. STAR's hipfiring only works when the player is close enough to enemies with weapons specialized in close-range combat, it isn't great at all and when going face-2-face is simply asking to be killed.

Bonus: On top of their superiority at hip-firing, the Raptor series can actually achieve the advertised time_to_kill of 0.75 up to respectable ranges (~40m with Hunting Sight). I mentioned this as both weapons have the same ttk and are assault rifles. The STAR can't do that without sacrificing extra time through bursting/hipfiring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 » The STAR doesn't excel at anything and therefore, doesn't "compete" at anything. It is an all-rounder weapon with no niche whatsoever. At ANY given range, there exist weapons that surpass it and sadly enough, the gap is huge at the ranges that matter most in a match (courtesy of OCA).

2 » Correction: The END-GAME* STAR is versatile* (not "very versatile"), since it can be modded to actually SOMEWHAT compete at a certain aspect if the Player knows what they are doing. Sadly New Players won't know about modding for a good while because they don't start with any mods.. the first STAR they get doesn't accept mods anyways so New-Players won't get to see the effects of mods on an all-rounder weapon would do to carry that knowledge to other weapons later on. A Newbie requires 200 kills at this all-around-disadvantage to unlock the first N-TEC 5 Nol or STAR 556 R&D I. About time.. since the player would've unlocked a Hunting Sight 1 after 50 kills and already gave up on how to plug it in a weapon (assuming they didn't already quit the good-looking game that has over-nonsensical aggressive balance).

Heck, the most accepted idea so far was to give STAR the stats of the FAR Charger since that is basically a slightly buffed STAR and is at much better versatility with better chances.. Even that didn't happen, because 'let us reward players with the FAR for playing at XMAS, obtainable one time per year!'....

Most new players are not struggling because of the weapon load out they have, but rather just how unforgiving the game is to play on a new account with no knowledge. There are so many aspects which put newer players at a disadvantage, whether it be not having access to Clotting Agent immediately, or the bizarre default sensitivity and zoom level a new account starts with.

Indeed. All these problems are due to the fact that APB's income model partially had its hand delved into game play. 'Pay to skip the grind' affects game-play for Newcomers. Little Orbit succeeded in removing Premium cool-downs for mods but the work is far from finished. New Player experience is horrible without paying at ARMAS or spending weeks in Fight Club.

All those are issues indeed, but that doesn't mean STAR is at a good place that competes in the current weapon state of balance nor it is the perfect weapon for new players. It is in fact the perfect weapon alongside existing limitations and restrictions to tell newbies to play a different game.... This really needs to change, especially with the new engine on the horizon.

Edited by LilyRain
Typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

the devs had other games

Yeah and then they sold APB.

Release the new contacts  on this current build just to keep the current pop around , also will bring some old players back. Release new content to keep people entertained while you work on the EU or the pop is just gonna keep decreasing everyday , there was at least 300 people on NA peak hours 4 months ago , now is only 80 on peak. There is still another year before the engine upgrade comes out. 

26 minutes ago, L0pht said:

There is still another year before the engine upgrade comes out. 

Another year? You are a bit crazy no?

And btw, the game is actually unplayable i can't level up anymore since waterfront is literally dead lmao. No one plays on

Edited by Easiest

15 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I don't think yall realize that even game changes won't save APB now.

Maybe maybe not. If LO does this RIGHT and advertises the game for the new engine launch its possible we can live on, however I dont exactly have my hopes up on that given they ignore everything except for the new engine.

if it doesn't, the game dies, simple as.

From what one can gather reading the forum posts however, LO will only really begin a big marketing push when the engine is released to the public (rightfully so)

On 12/8/2020 at 4:52 AM, Easiest said:

everything in the title just a simple question cause i was talking about that in the district chat a few minutes ago, talking about how apb is dead, if the new engine can revive the game, because actually the new engine take TOO much time to get release.

At this point - no. There will have to be a rain of new content after it is released for anyone to even care.

And if the performance is worse than the current one, there will be even less.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:48 AM, Easiest said:

Ye for sure, if the new engine comes out, at first we need new contacts (LO already talked about it), the IEM nades, maybe new "WHITE" weapons not some shitty armas reskin, new mods a good weapon balance, everything at the same time, and we'll be good.

The last thing we want is to add more weapons into the game, there's already a large pool of weapons in the game to the point that some weapons are terrible. I just wish they would get rid of the weapon RNG mechanic of this game and have projectile mechanics instead.

The game will always be toxic even when it was populated, players trash talk just like any other pvp online game, sometimes they hackusate / harass for no reason and there's time they just jealous of you beating them. There will always be players like that and you can't really do much about it, if it happens to you, Just ignore and move on.  The player base is mix with all kinds of groups and people some are nice or bad and you choose who you want to be friends with. 

As far as recent i think LO has been enforcing toxic behavior pretty well, though the griefing and blocking points is still a problem.  The game is not dying because of toxicity! there's no way players are quitting due to someone insulting them online. It's more of the game dying due to boredom and content. 

Currently with less population i think there should be less toxicity compare to back during peak days of apb.

They need to do something big to make this game actually worth advertising in the year 2021.

Edited by Deadliest